Things Back to the Future II got right about the 2010's

JenniferJennifer Moderator
edited April 2012 in Back to the Future
I'm watching Back to the Future Part II. Some things ring true in today's time, like the kid not knowing what an arcade game was and movie theaters playing 3D movies. They appeared to be glasses-less 3D though, which probably will become true by 2015 considering the fact they already have glasses-less 3D on small screens. Also, if the Kinect becomes popular the kid calling the arcade game a baby's toy because you had to use your hands could have some truth to it too. :)

Comments

• edited June 2010
    They have five years to make 15 more Jaws sequels.

And fax machines are going to have to become really popular again.
  • edited June 2010
    Five years is plenty of time for transparent ties to become a fad and for Pizza Hut to introduce hydrated pies.
  • edited June 2010
    I really want a flying car.
  • edited June 2010
    Hmm. Now I want to watch it again and see if it got anything else right.
  • edited June 2010
    Last time I rewatched BTTF, I noticed that one of the kids in 2015 who were complaining about the arcade game looked an awful lot like Elijah Wood. Was it he?
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited June 2010
    Last time I rewatched BTTF, I noticed that one of the kids in 2015 who were complaining about the arcade game looked an awful lot like Elijah Wood. Was it he?
    Yeah, it was him. I saw Elijah's Wood's name in the credits when I was editing the three movies together. :)
  • edited June 2010
    I wish vacuum cleaners become obsolete, and that the weather forecast would be accurate for a change. Anti-gravity would be very useful, too.

Of course, watching multiple TV channels simultaneously on one screen is already possible on a PC using a fast internet connection. But I really don't know anyone crazy enough to do that.

And there already are finger print locks. I don't know anyone having one at the front door, though. But it's very possible, that they become more popular in a few years.

I certainly don't like how justice works there. It seems too damn fast to care for any accuracy.
  • edited June 2010
    What we really need are networked fax machines in every room/closet/bathroom in every house! Why don't we have this yet?
  • edited June 2010
    I wish we had replicators, saves on cooking and buying your friend a gift.
  • edited June 2010
    I thought I heard in in BTTF 2's commentary that it's possible to make a hoverboard. That would be neat.
  • edited June 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I really want a flying car.
    Who doesn't...?
  • edited June 2010
    techie775 wrote: »
    I thought I heard in in BTTF 2's commentary that it's possible to make a hoverboard. That would be neat.

Not the way they used it, and no way to make one fuel-less.
  • edited June 2010
    Here's a worthwhile request....... Ethernet links within walls in all UK homes as standard
  • edited June 2010
    Lawyers haven't been eliminated and the legal system is still as slow as ever...

Boy, that sounded pessimistic.
  • edited June 2010
    I know it was just a joke, but a society without lawyers and in which a person can be tried and sentenced with two hours of allegedly committing a crime sounds pretty awful and dystopian.
  • edited June 2010
    What is a Dust Buster? :)
    edited June 2010
    Wile_E wrote: »
    What is a Dust Buster? :)
    A quaint little piece from the 1980's... if you're interested in dust. :D
  • edited June 2010
    Its what I use to clean my car.... SUV actually I am a gas wasting American after all...
  • edited June 2010
    My theory is that we won't get flying cars until a law passes mandating that gas stations can only be built on the tops of skyscrapers. It could happen!
  • edited June 2010
    I hope it never happens... could you imagine teens and old people driving those things?

Cue Max screaming DEATH FROM ABOVE!!!
  • edited June 2010
    Flying cars already exist. They are only REALLY expensive.
  • edited June 2010
    Trenchfoot wrote: »
    Flying cars already exist. They are only REALLY expensive.

And there are only 10 or so ever made.
  • edited June 2010
    I still want a hoverboard. The first skateboard generations want them while we're still young enough to use em. Please don't let decades go by and I don't see them 'till I'm 60.

On the other hand, there were quite a few amazing predictions from that movie. One of them was the Surf Vietnam sign, that was placed early in the movie, right when Marty arrived in the future. Now, it could've been a homage to Apocalypse Now, but lo and behold, Vietnam did indeed become a regular Surfing location since the movie came out.
  • edited June 2010
    Well, thin flat pannel tv's that hang on our wall are here! Yahoo already advertised this 2010 Flying car called the Terrafugia Transition.

Terrafugia01_540x359.jpg

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-20009240-71.html

I just wish the Moller M400 Sky car was FAA aproved. :(
    SkyCar-Flying-Car-2.jpg
  • edited June 2010
    They sure got some stuff right. But the day when my dog can walk itself... Far off.

Also of interest:
    In the one of the "Behind-the-Scenes" Clips for BTTF2, someone makes a comment along the lines of:
    "Hoverboard technology has actually existed for a long time, but parents groups won't allow them on the market. We managed to get our hands on some."
    For anyone who is unaware, this is a total joke, lol.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited July 2010
    What BTTF II got almost right:

- The omnipresence of very flat, huge screens everywhere. Even the McFly family, supposedly rather poor, owns a fair amount of them. I don't think the development of TFT screens was really foreseeable in 1989. It's exaggerated in BTTF II, of course, but I think we'll get exactly there. Not in five years' time, though.

- Identification via fingerprint is still gaining in importance. Nowadays, it seems to be the fallback "we're not REALLY taking your freedom with this" middle way of collecting data for solving crime. There are better identification methods, but they will hopefully remain illegal. Global fingerprint collection just seems to be "the next step"... :(

- Cosmetic surgery is very widely practiced. It's in everyday conversation today, as it is in BTTF II. In five years' time, we might even be exactly at the BTTF II point.

- I also noticed the "Surf Vietnam"-thing. Great prediction, really.

It's interesting that we're really not that far concerning "video"-phones. Is that due to lack of interest in seing your conversation partner? The technology is there, so what's the deal, really?
  • MRNMRN
    edited July 2010
    They sure got some stuff right. But the day when my dog can walk itself... Far off.

Also of interest:
    In the one of the "Behind-the-Scenes" Clips for BTTF2, someone makes a comment along the lines of:
    "Hoverboard technology has actually existed for a long time, but parents groups won't allow them on the market. We managed to get our hands on some."
    For anyone who is unaware, this is a total joke, lol.

My dog walks itself, when she wants to go to the street it "asks" me to go open the door, and when she wants to come back she "knocks" on the door.

True story.
    edited July 2010
    Another thing someone pointed out to me on another forum: Needle's favorite sport is listed as Slamball.

There actually is a slamball now. It's a sport that was created in 2002. :)
  • edited July 2010
    What BTTF II got almost right:

It's interesting that we're really not that far concerning "video"-phones. Is that due to lack of interest in seing your conversation partner? The technology is there, so what's the deal, really?

Actually, we now do have video phones. Actually, we've had them, but just around this year they're just gaining popularity in a consumer model. Given our common capitalistic competitive reaction where all cell phones are likely to follow that model, 5 years is very doable for us to have common "video" phones. Just that they'll start off from the portable direction.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2010
    We're pretty close to having hoverboards! The PS3 skateboard accessory is halfway there. They already figured out how to get rid of the wheels, now they just gotta work on the hover part.

tony-hawk-ride-board-431.jpg
    edited July 2010
    Someone actually created Power Laces, the self tying shoe lace! I'd love to own a pair of those! :D
  • edited July 2010
    akaimizu wrote: »
    Actually, we now do have video phones. Actually, we've had them, but just around this year they're just gaining popularity in a consumer model. Given our common capitalistic competitive reaction where all cell phones are likely to follow that model, 5 years is very doable for us to have common "video" phones. Just that they'll start off from the portable direction.
    Skype works just fine as a video phone. =P
  • edited July 2010
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    now they just gotta work on the hover part.

Actually that's already been achieved as well.
  • edited July 2010
    Skype works just fine as a video phone. =P

Yes it does. I think it works rather well going skype to skype. It's also just like iChat or some other similar communications medium. That was actually included in my mention of us doing it for quite a while. However, it just needs a nudge so that it becomes something casual folks adopt and it becomes the norm. Casual folks are currently running to get devices with the video phone functionality and won't have to learn how to do it. So I'm making a guess that this trend just might jump-start things in that direction. They probably wont all be Apple phone, either. Not after pretty much every other manufacturer ends up selling phones with that same capability and with the same ease of use.
  • edited July 2010

Yes, but will it work on the road?
  • edited July 2010
    Lets not forget the "You have to use your hands? Thats like a babys toy!" This is actually true, Microsoft Kinect is coming out this year and you dont use a controller, everything is motion sensors.
  • edited July 2010
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    we're pretty close to having hoverboards! The ps3 skateboard accessory is halfway there. They already figured out how to get rid of the wheels, now they just gotta work on the hover part.

tony-hawk-ride-board-431.jpg

my god, she's right!
  • edited July 2010
    I wouldn't want a videophone...
  • edited July 2010
    Check this video, around 1:59...
    http://www.lasexta.com/sextatv/seloquehicisteis/manolo_rama_celebra_la_victoria_a_lo_grande/163262/4852
    It's from a Spanish humor TV show, they say that BttF2 foresaw Spanish victory on the World Cup. It's an obvious fake, but it's quite funny nonetheless...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.