Things Back to the Future II got right about the 2010's

2»

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Jennifer wrote: »
    I'm watching Back to the Future Part II. Some things ring true in today's time, like the kid not knowing what an arcade game was and movie theaters playing 3D movies. They appeared to be glasses-less 3D though, which probably will become true by 2015 considering the fact they already have glasses-less 3D on small screens. Also, if the Kinect becomes popular the kid calling the arcade game a baby's toy because you had to use your hands could have some truth to it too. :)

Like the 3DS.
  • edited July 2010
    Text to Speech and CGI makes the Michael Jackson and Ronald Reagan bartenders possible.
  • edited July 2010
    LordRiker wrote: »
    Lets not forget the "You have to use your hands? Thats like a babys toy!" This is actually true, Microsoft Kinect is coming out this year and you dont use a controller, everything is motion sensors.
    You still have to move. The kid is obviously talking about games controlled with your mind directly, without any range of motion, which is far more practical than Kinect or any of the motion sensitive controllers(which themselves are stupider and less practical than the average controller). Surely, the kid would have thought Kinect and the Wii were a ton less practical than, for example, the PS2 controller(because the time from thought to action is far shorter with a conventional controller than a motion sensitive one).
    dentbuds wrote: »
    Like the 3DS.
    Not like the 3DS, because Jaws 19(or at least the ad for it) was obviously a hologram, because it actually had depth rather than simply being the simulation of stereopsis via the cheap parlor trick that the 3DS borrowed from what the cinemas have been using since the 50s.
  • edited July 2010
    You still have to move. The kid is obviously talking about games controlled with your mind directly, without any range of motion, which is far more practical than Kinect or any of the motion sensitive controllers(which themselves are stupider and less practical than the average controller). Surely, the kid would have thought Kinect and the Wii were a ton less practical than, for example, the PS2 controller(because the time from thought to action is far shorter with a conventional controller than a motion sensitive one).

The kids in the future are obvious jerks and have no respect for the olden days. Why just because you to use
    your hands doesn't mean it's a disease or something! Why in my day using your hands for a video-game was
    considered a great deal of enjoyment! If I was their father I'd sit them down and make them play their
    grandfather's old Nintendo 64!

And a Wii is just like using your hands, since it was made in 2007(or 6) that means it's still considered a great achievement in video games! Even in 2015!! Why the almost failed PS3 is now kind of great advancement in consoles. There's no reason to shoot down what was once great even if in 2015 it's still a huge console for
    gaming! The kids of the future have no respect for what was once great.
  • edited July 2010

Not like the 3DS, because Jaws 19(or at least the ad for it) was obviously a hologram, because it actually had depth rather than simply being the simulation of stereopsis via the cheap parlor trick that the 3DS borrowed from what the cinemas have been using since the 50s.

Holograms is likely to become possible soon, with all this new 3D stuff around. As for games controlled with the mind?

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/20/emotiv-to-make-control-games-a-reality-by-christmas/

Seems to have happened long ago, but I guess it is not good enough yet, to make it for the popular consoles. Seems like something bound to happen though.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited August 2010
    Interesting thing: Front Magazine has a feature actually asking the same question!!

IMG_3948.JPG

I'll post the art in the fan art thread, although it's a commission, the artist's a fan... ;)
  • edited August 2010
    Nice article... about the "Thumb Transactions" there are already some ATM machines that read fingerprints... so, maybe in 5 years we won't be needing any debit/credit cards at all.

About the flying cars, we're so far away... the actual flying cars are actually mini planes with wheels. The BTTF flying car concept is totally different.
  • edited August 2010
    What does that article say about fax machines?
  • edited August 2010
    I want to read the articles now. Anyone got a zoomed in version of this?
  • edited August 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I really want a flying car.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7821979.stm
    They used a Flying car to do that :D
  • edited September 2010
    I know it was just a joke, but a society without lawyers and in which a person can be tried and sentenced with two hours of allegedly committing a crime sounds pretty awful and dystopian.

And yet the 2015 of BTTF2 seems fairly clean and not significantly more crime-ridden than 1985 or 1955.

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for a cafe in which all the servers are TV's with Max Headroom-esque representations of Ronald Reagan, the Ayatollah, and Michael Jackson.
  • edited September 2010
    Don't forget about the Nike shoes, it's already happening...soon
  • edited September 2010
    Ketzergon wrote: »
    Don't forget about the Nike shoes, it's already happening...soon

Well, the 2015 Nike Hyperdunks are inspired by the film, but they are missing the auto locking shoe straps...

nike-hyperdunk-2015-harlem-launch-01.jpg

Kobe approves, don't you?

undftd-nike-hyperdunk-marty-mcfly-launch-5.jpg
  • edited September 2010
    Anthony817 wrote: »
    Well, the 2015 Nike Hyperdunks are inspired by the film, but they are missing the auto locking shoe straps...

Click on the image...

Lacing-System-Patent.jpg
  • edited September 2010
    Yes, but will it work on the road?

Maybe, but they don't work on water! Unless you got POOOOOWer!
  • edited September 2010
    Ketzergon wrote: »
    Click on the image...

Lacing-System-Patent.jpg

Yeah, I saw those, lets hope they get them as accurate as the film was, but I do kinda like the first version Kobe designed, with the shoestrings and all. :p
  • edited August 2011
    No one mentioned the fact of the Cubs winning the World Series in 2015. They supposedly beat "Miami" in 2015, which Marty is confused about, since in 1985 (or in 1989, when the movie was made), there were no MLB teams in Miami. Of course, the Florida Marlins became an MLB team in 1993, and even crazier, will be called the Miami Marlins next year. Unfortunately, the Marlins and Cubs are both in the National League which would make it impossible for them to meet in the 2015 World Series. Although one of the most famous playoff moments in MLB history, the Steve Bartman game, was between the Marlins and Cubs in the 2003 NLCS.
  • Surprised nobody brought up the key line by Elijah wood "you have to use your hands?" Todays video games involving less hand movement.

6 screen TV's including stations showing fire logs and scenery (things which werent common in the 80's but are more common).

As mentioned slamball being a sport.

A female president was predicted. It hasn't happened but Palin may run in 2012.
  • edited September 2011
    The only thing it got right were the shoes because they now exist.

However everything else is wrong because the world ends in 2012!
  • edited September 2011
    Tornreaper wrote: »
    The only thing it got right were the shoes because they now exist.

However everything else is wrong because the world ends in 2012!

:rolleyes:
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited April 2012
    I was watching Back to the Future II again and realized one more thing.

My sister got a camera that has a green square that identifies the presence of a human figure and centers the image around the square in order to keep a steady picture, very much like Doc's binoculars did when he was scoping out the Cafe 80's. :)
  • Yes, but will it work on the road?
    But I thought that where they were going, there was no roads.
  • I generally get sick of people thinking they're witty pointing out things BTTF part II got wrong about the future but one interesting one that people rarely mention is something the movie said would still exist by 2015 but probably will not;
    Marty Jr. is seen in a phone booth. While pay phones still linger around, theres virtually no phone booths left.

You could also say they emphasized an increase on fax machines and while fax machines still exist, they are no more prevolant than they were in the 1980's.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.