Rhinoplasty Appreciation Thread

edited June 2010 in Sam & Max
I wonder, if Max could get into the office (or any other location with a working TV set), would the rhinoplasty work on the television screen, and he could shape-shift to anything shown on TV?

Comments

• edited June 2010
    i dont know. i dont want to know. rhinoplasty got so annoying in 303
  • edited June 2010
    I think you should be able to use Rhinoplasty on objects as well as people.

Some of the Rhinoplasty pictures don't even do anything for your game.
    But it's a funny and ridiculous power.
  • edited June 2010
    I think it was used well in 303, though the credit card puzzle baffled me. I loved seeing Max move around as the object, shooting Hindenburg Sammun-Mak, and "Please proceed to the giant monster destroying the city."

I just hope Alley of the Dolls involves the Playing Cards. There's got to be a thousand unconventional uses of mind-reading for the solving of puzzles, and I loved hearing Sam's thoughts. I also enjoyed the return of Future Vision, and the logic puzzle with Skunkape's finishing moves.
  • edited June 2010
    the max objects were poorly rendered. they just slapped his face on a blocky or 2d image. and this is coming from the guy who goes "ooh, Telltale are gods!"
  • edited June 2010
    The problem with rhinoplasty is that it requires a total of six mouse clicks to use (three to copy the object, three to turn into the object), not to mention all the animation in-between.

This sort of break from the action isn't so bad by itself, but if one is switching objects often enough it can get very tedious. There's also the matter that shapeshifting isn't really fun if there isn't an immediate or noticeable effect on the gameplay. You don't even get to control Max after he changes form, and almost no NPC reacts differently based on Max's current form. In other words, there is almost no playful or novel use for it.

That said, there is nothing wrong with the power itself. It's just all in how it was implemented.
  • edited June 2010
    There should be a rhinoplasty memory system so you don't have to keep going back to get the image you ned
  • edited June 2010
    splash1 wrote: »
    Some of the Rhinoplasty pictures don't even do anything for your game.
    Yeah, I noticed the
    pyramid
    , but what are the other useless ones?
    and almost no NPC reacts differently based on Max's current form.
    I noticed this too. It's strange, that no one cares even noticing it when objects are floating around, which are supposed to be inanimate.
  • edited June 2010
    Yeah, I noticed the
    pyramid
    , but what are the other useless ones.

There's a picture of one of Sam's other ancestor's in the lobby.

Edit: Also, I'll agree that it does feel weirdly incomplete that no one notices when Max is in an altternate form, especially while Sal is stating "Oh you got your buddy moving again" while there's a bouncing skull before him.
  • edited June 2010
    The problem with rhinoplasty is that it requires a total of six mouse clicks to use (three to copy the object, three to turn into the object), not to mention all the animation in-between.

I have no complains with that. It's a graphic adventure game. Speed is not that important. Plus, I love the effects when Max transforms into something. Woo shiny!
    the max objects were poorly rendered. they just slapped his face on a blocky or 2d image. and this is coming from the guy who goes "ooh, Telltale are gods!"

It IS the joke. Max's face on everything it doesn't belong to. It'll be the first time ever I praise on a toaster or a.. credit card render in a game but, rhinoplasty renders were great. I had nothing bad against Toaster Max, Credit Card Max, Zeppelin Max (still has Max's face and all). You may be right about the 2d-ness of the Storm Cloud Max, but it's meant to be 2d. Have you ever tried to render a CLOUD to 3d?
    I noticed this too. It's strange, that no one cares even noticing it when objects are floating around, which are supposed to be inanimate.

I still think they don't really care Max even to a degree they began not to care about anything on them that reminds his face.

Except Sammun-Mak..
  • edited June 2010
    Rhinoplasty was a great idea but is probably running short of jokes now, whereas I can see future vision jokes still running freely.
  • edited June 2010
    Falanca wrote:
    I have no complains with that. It's a graphic adventure game. Speed is not that important. Plus, I love the effects when Max transforms into something. Woo shiny!

Speed is not important in an adventure game, but generally speaking streamlined interface design should involve as little input as possible. If every casual inventory-access interaction in the game required six clicks to accomplish, with animation in between, I think you'd notice pretty fast.

I don't think the inconvenient design of rhinoplasty is that big a deal, though. Actually, part of why it stands out so badly to begin with is because Telltale's design teams are usually very good at making minimalist, streamlined interfaces.
  • edited June 2010
    soon enough, we'll all realise that this chain of events:
    301: Overuse of Future Vision
    302: All equal
    303: Overuse of Rhinoplasty

can only lead to...
    304: Charlie Hotep's Overuse of Sam & Max
    305: Use EVERYTHING on EVERYTHING!
  • edited June 2010
    but buy 305 to new powers wheel be add a boll and a disc of some kind
Sign in to comment in this discussion.