Well max, that was short....

edited January 2007 in Sam & Max
Well max, that was an adventure dumbed down and shortened to the point of absolute and sheer convoluted i forget what i was going to say.

It's the ADHD culture, sam.

Comments

• edited January 2007
    Someone needs to make a sticky explaining the length of the episodes to the naysayers
  • edited January 2007
    The episode is short compared to Culture Shock, and you just saying there is a reason for it doesn't make people any happier, sept you in your hypnotic state.

I personally felt it was alot slicker and yes, shorter, but i think its more replayable than the first episode, as far as gameplay goes, im 1000% happy with it.
  • edited January 2007
    Seemed even shorter in the beginning with all the re-used jokes.

Why have us go to the same places if we'll get the same jokes when we click on things? Why not just change the objects in the places we are going? I know the release time frame is short, but there has to be a better way to cut corners.
  • edited January 2007
    Sp0tted wrote: »
    Seemed even shorter in the beginning with all the re-used jokes.

Why have us go to the same places if we'll get the same jokes when we click on things? Why not just change the objects in the places we are going? I know the release time frame is short, but there has to be a better way to cut corners.

Well, isn't that exactly what makes up an Episode game? If you look at the big picture (6 episodes), then it's quite normal that re-visiting the office might not always reveal new stuff if it's not affecting the current plot at that time. Ever played "S&M Hit The Road"?

I thank Telltale big time for bringing back the humor, the look, and the feel of those good old days! The current Sam & Max is just the best in Point&Click Adventures I've seen for ages!

Thank you guys, and keep it up!
  • edited January 2007
    I get that, but why not have the scenery change or something? Why still get the same jokes from the first game? Why even start us in the Office at all? It gave me a bad taste in my mouth when the first three things I clicked on were the same jokes I heard 2 months ago.

Now, once we left the office the jokes did pick up, but hearing the same ones over and over is annoying. Just turn the action off if you don't have any new material...

Just a thought.
  • edited January 2007
    There were a few new ones, though, like for the gumball machine, the answering machine, the goldfish, street posters, etc. There are in fact several new jokes and "scenery changes" but you have to look for them. I didn't expect major changes to the old environments for the same reason I wouldn't expect the office to change every time I returned to it in Hit the Road. Granted these are, in a way, separate games, but the meat of the game really takes place at the tv studio...the "hub" areas weren't of huge importance.

Also you've got to love starting in the office for the Commissioner's phone call.

EDIT: Another thing to consider is that when you crunch the numbers, Situation Comedy had the same amount of NEW environments as Culture Shock had environments total.

Culture Shock sets: The office, street, Bosco's interior, Sybil's interior, asylum exterior, asylum interior (6)
    Situation: Comedy sets: studio entrance room (later redecorated as the "Idol" set), Cooking Without Looking set, Midtown Cowboys set, Who's Never Going to be a Millionaire set, Myra's set (5-6)

And both games had the driving minigame. So if you look at it in terms of value (...if that's how you determine value) the environments that were recycled can almost be counted as extra if it makes you feel better.
  • edited January 2007
    I actually felt it was longer than the first one.
  • edited January 2007
    Hunam wrote: »
    The episode is short compared to Culture Shock, and you just saying there is a reason for it doesn't make people any happier, sept you in your hypnotic state.

I personally felt it was alot slicker and yes, shorter, but i think its more replayable than the first episode, as far as gameplay goes, im 1000% happy with it.

I'm not Telltale's PR, it doesn't affect me any if people are happy with Situation: Comedy or not. I just said what I said because people said the same thing when Culture Shock was released. I'm hardly in a "hypnotic state", if I were unhappy with an element of the game, I'd say so.

The whole "you're a sheep" arguement is played out.
  • edited January 2007
    It's certainly better than the Half-Life episodes coming out every year or so for twice as much and 1.5 the length.
  • edited January 2007
    I didn't mind starting off in the same locations again, Bosco's always a welcome treat (although I did love the ol' snucky stores) but the psychotherapist (even with a career change) is a tired character. I don't really wanna have to see her again.

Still, I enjoyed the rest of it and laughed a fair bit :)
  • edited January 2007
    agreed. Episode two was short but maybe that means episode 3 will be a bit longer then most. If you take a game and split it into six different parts then they might not all be the same length.
  • edited January 2007
    Plus, not all office gags were the same... didn't you notice some time discrepancies? I loved those ones!

The game took me 4 hours to complete... that was with getting up to make dinner, do the dishes, and other stuff in between, but I would say I spent a good 3+ hours playing the game, exhausting every dialog choice and the such.

Although I am not so certain about the replay value of this one... I wont probably play any of these games over again until the entire series is released.

Great game though! Funnier than the first, and a few good puzzles were thrown in at the end. Actually had some "Eureka" moments, which were totally nonexistent for me in the first.
  • edited January 2007
    I've enjoyed it. :O)

The graphics in the game looked better to me than they seem to look like in the sneak movies (maybe the colours got a bit dirty due to the compression?).

The setting was quite funny and playing time was well short but okayish.
    The Director(!), Hugh and Myra are great characters. I found the cow totally unfunny, passive and just displaced.

What i still dislike is the complexity of the puzzles as most of the time it's still too easy in my opinion. Things are too obvious and instead of taking several steps they are a lot of short puzzles. The ending was a bit unspectacular and i've missed the "Wheee" when hitting Max. Sometimes it's a little bit long winded getting where you want to. The voices didn't improve, right?!

All in all i would give it the same rating as for episode1 which is 8 out of 10 .
  • edited January 2007
    I agree, it was a little too short compared to Culture Shock. I hope the next Episode will be longer (and more complex puzzles), and will finally have a 1280x1024 resolution option.
    Nothing else to complain, really awesome adventure game, I completley enjoyed the first two episodes!
  • edited January 2007
    Way to short and I found it more even more easy than the first one. But good jokes in it ... wunderfull :) Maybe the next one will be a bit more demanding
  • edited January 2007
    I enjoyed it, but I would repeat what people had said that it is certainly easier and hence shorter than the first one.

Never even had to use the second braincell to complete.

Damn funny though and I'm sure on second play I can take my time and try and find all the funny bits I missed.
  • edited January 2007
    To me it felt about the same length as the first game, but that's probably more or less a personal thing. But I have to agree, what bugged me BIG TIME were the same responses on most objects in the office and the streets. I was hoping for a slightly redressed environment each and every episode (different objects on the floor, different pictures on the wall), or at least updated responses on the things. (like a different drawing on the magna-doodle in Joey's and Chandler's apartment in every episode of "Friends"... just as a poor example). And having Max redress the office on a regular basis, with stuff that feels important to his crazy mind, might be not that far fetched.

When the intro started I was eagerly wondering, what you've done with the office this time, and then it just looked the same...

It's just that with episodic games that are rather short, I don't want ANY stuff and jokes re-used in another episode. Because if you take out the jokes, remarks and visual gags you've already got in "Culture Shock", "Situation: Comedy" gets even shorter... nothing I wanna see you guys do again, please!
  • edited January 2007
    I get that, but why not have the scenery change or something? Why still get the same jokes from the first game? Why even start us in the Office at all? It gave me a bad taste in my mouth when the first three things I clicked on were the same jokes I heard 2 months ago.

Same here, that was the first thing I addressed in my feedback. :rolleyes:
  • edited January 2007
    you just gotta add it up..for about 30 bucks you get all the episodes...
    that would be 6 all in all now lets add it up say each game takes about 3 hours (if you dont ruch through it and enjoy the dialogues it takes even more imho)
    so that would be
    6 X 3 = 18hours of adventure...that is a hell of a long time....
    if they would be releasing the whole game as one big packet and not doing the seasons thing everyone would be like OMG THIS GAME IS SOOO LONG!!!
    i personally really like the episodes thing because i just cant stay hooked to a game for longer than about 5 hours. but this is just perfect for me. i play it for 4 hours and when the next one comes out im sufficiantly hungry for adventure again!
    so keep up the good work telltale and thanks for bringing back point&click comedy!!!
  • edited January 2007
    is it possible to get the two done freelance police episodes with the DVD when
    the six episodes are done ?
  • NeyNey
    edited January 2007
    Nemisi wrote: »
    I agree, it was a little too short compared to Culture Shock. I hope the next Episode will be longer (and more complex puzzles), and will finally have a 1280x1024 resolution option.
    Nothing else to complain, really awesome adventure game, I completley enjoyed the first two episodes!

I very very much doubt you will see a 1280x1024 resolution, and here is the reasoning. It's vey obvious that Sam & Max is created in the 4:3 format, and hence giving you the 4:3 resolution options. As you can see 1280x1024 results in a 4:3,2 format, and hence if you forced this resolution the graphic proportions of the game would be wrong.
    I am stumped as to why people continue to want 1280x1024 as their resolution as choise, since almost every PC app is based on a 4:3 format.
  • edited January 2007
    .... but why not have the scenery change or something? Why still get the same jokes from the first game? Why even start us in the Office at all? It gave me a bad taste in my mouth when the first three things I clicked on were the same jokes I heard 2 months ago....

Just a thought.

That's the point it isn't "The First Game" and as such they are going for continuity between the episodes. When it's all said and done it will be all ONE game. Hence the same jokes in some places. I believe TellTale and their team are doing an admirable job with Sam and Max. Although I do agree that this episode was a bit short and too easy. The puzzles were a bit obvious.
  • edited January 2007
    Ney wrote: »
    I very very much doubt you will see a 1280x1024 resolution, and here is the reasoning. It's vey obvious that Sam & Max is created in the 4:3 format, and hence giving you the 4:3 resolution options. As you can see 1280x1024 results in a 4:3,2 format, and hence if you forced this resolution the graphic proportions of the game would be wrong.
    I am stumped as to why people continue to want 1280x1024 as their resolution as choise, since almost every PC app is based on a 4:3 format.

Virtually all 19" LCD panels are 1280x1024 native resolution. If you want to play the game on a 19" LCD panel then it's going to look blurry and slightly out of proportion (5:4 vs. 4:3). 19" LCD panels are also one of more popular sizes because of their cost(17"->19" price increase is not nearly as big as the price increase from 19"->20").
  • NeyNey
    edited January 2007
    Longinus00 wrote: »
    Virtually all 19" LCD panels are 1280x1024 native resolution. If you want to play the game on a 19" LCD panel then it's going to look blurry and slightly out of proportion (5:4 vs. 4:3). 19" LCD panels are also one of more popular sizes because of their cost(17"->19" price increase is not nearly as big as the price increase from 19"->20").

Not my fault that people buy 19" LCD's with a non 4:3 aspect ratio and expect everyone to suddenly use 4:3.2 all of a sudden *shrugs* the resolution thing has always been a problem in the pc games industry, and i personally think that it was a huge error use the 1280*1024 resolution for LCD's, the producers should have stuck with 4:3 and 16:9.

Anyway for all the poor souls with LCD's i suppose it would be nice with a 1280*1024 resolution with either a warning of scewed proportions or some sort of letterbox solution.
  • edited January 2007
    Yeah, 19" LCDs are weird... I completely agree that it was a very strange move to start making those monitors with weird proportions. It was one of the reasons why I decided to go with a 20" monitor instead of the cheaper and otherwise sufficient 19".
  • edited January 2007
    Not my fault that people buy 19" LCD's with a non 4:3 aspect ratio and expect everyone to suddenly use 4:3.2 all of a sudden *shrugs* the resolution thing has always been a problem in the pc games industry, and i personally think that it was a huge error use the 1280*1024 resolution for LCD's, the producers should have stuck with 4:3 and 16:9.

Anyway for all the poor souls with LCD's i suppose it would be nice with a 1280*1024 resolution with either a warning of scewed proportions or some sort of letterbox solution.

Even still, 19" LCDs are some 20+% of the market and vastly more popular than 20" (maybe 2-3%). It seems to make more sense to support 1280x1024 before supporting 1600x1200 (I'm only considering LCDs and not CRTs right now).
    http://www.displaysearch.com/free/paneltrack/#LCD%20Monitor%20Panels

What's most interesting to me is the big growth in widescreen monitors and I really hope more developers start supporting those aspect ratios. At the very least they could render to a resolution that would be 4:3 and then pad the sides with black or something. This way the output image will be at native resolution and you won't have to mess with your drivers to keep the image from being stretched in some odd way.
  • edited January 2007
    Where is the problem?

A easy solution is to use different viewports according to the resolution which means cinematic black borders for 1280x1024 which gives you 1280x960 for the content which sounds fair to me.

Otherwise you would have to alter the projection depending on the aspect ratio which means that on different aspect ratios you also would see more or less of a given scene.
  • edited January 2007
    taumel wrote: »
    Where is the problem?

A easy solution would be to use different viewports according to the resolution which means cinematic black borders for 1280x1024 which gives you 1280x960 for the content which sounds fair to me.

It would be a solution but the coders have to implement that in their engine. This would be a potential solution to all the aspect ratio related headaches really.
  • edited January 2007
    Viewport definition is a no brainer...
  • edited January 2007
    taumel wrote: »
    Viewport definition is a no brainer...

It really depends on how they coded their engine.
  • edited January 2007
    Well, obviously i don't know what they've used but setting up a viewport is fundamental and normally just a matter of defining the right values.
  • edited January 2007

I habe no single game which doesn't allow me to use 1280x1024, except Sam & Max. But I can live with it, as long as the game stays as good as the first two episodes.
  • edited January 2007
    I just finished Ep2 and i liked it very much. Yes, it is short, but as have been mentioned by numerous other people, this is an episode, and not an entire season if you will.
    I like the fact that every month brings me another episode to play through and enjoy. And as long as the quality is top notch, i have no complaints whatsoever.

Thanks for another great episode Telltale. :)
  • edited January 2007
    I would be happy if this game took me three hours to beat ... you guys are eating too many burritos while you're playing. Great game all and all though, I shall continue to purchase ... but do me a solid this time telltale ... don't give it to the season subscribes like before the individual episodes guys -- you already break my heart with the gametap crap.
  • edited January 2007
    Ok so if its four hours for an episode with toilet breaks thats 6 episodes X 4=24 hours thats not bad for an adventure game.

The puzzles have been improved no end as well. Although I would still like them a bit harder definitely a step in the right direction.
  • edited January 2007
    pseudoheld wrote: »
    you just gotta add it up..for about 30 bucks you get all the episodes...
    that would be 6 all in all now lets add it up say each game takes about 3 hours (if you dont ruch through it and enjoy the dialogues it takes even more imho)
    so that would be
    6 X 3 = 18hours of adventure...that is a hell of a long time....
    if they would be releasing the whole game as one big packet and not doing the seasons thing everyone would be like OMG THIS GAME IS SOOO LONG!!!
    i personally really like the episodes thing because i just cant stay hooked to a game for longer than about 5 hours. but this is just perfect for me. i play it for 4 hours and when the next one comes out im sufficiantly hungry for adventure again!
    so keep up the good work telltale and thanks for bringing back point&click comedy!!!
    same here,
    there are some games I never played through, becaus I didn't have the Time to play them every day. And after a breake of, lets say a month or so, I often loose motivation to play them through. (It's what happend to Resident evil 4 at last)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.