Did anyone else think Sammun-Mak was a girl?

edited April 2011 in Sam & Max
I don't know about you, but I thought Sammun-Mak was a girl until about halfway through the episode. Just her voice and mannerisms made him very feminine or something.

Anyone else?

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Not really, considering they've been referring to him as male since 302. Not to mention that female Pharohs are very, very rare.

I can see how you'd make that mistake if you weren't really paying attention, though.
  • edited June 2010
    I've come to accept that young boys are frequently voiced by girls, and therefore sound confusingly like them in many cases.

I will admit to really, really hoping it was going to be a return of the Geek after just watching the trailer and not being sure whose brain it was that was put into Max's head. It kinda sounds like her. Heaven knows Sam and Max need some brilliant redheaded nerdy child building them bizarre weaponry and giving the desoto random upgrades. *sigh* Those were the days. I miss the geek. I think the thing in the fridge came back and ate her. :D or not . . .
  • edited June 2010
    no maybe samun mak is not a girl but he is probalby a kid and that's why he's voice is a bit feminine btw doesen't samunmak sounds like sam and mak (probably in german cuz and in german is und)
  • edited June 2010
    I knew he was a boy, but he definitely sounded like a girl. I had to keep telling myself "he's a boy, Sammun-Mak is a boy" because I just automatically though of him as a girl.
  • edited June 2010
    Hayden wrote: »
    I knew he was a boy, but he definitely sounded like a girl. I had to keep telling myself "he's a boy, Sammun-Mak is a boy" because I just automatically though of him as a girl.

Same here. I knew he was male, I just kept thinking he was female.
  • edited June 2010
    I chose to think of him as a girl regardless. :D Adds a twist to the character.
  • edited June 2010
    All I could hear was Morgan :D
  • edited June 2010
    Sounded like a really young English boy to me though.
  • edited June 2010
    Nimeni wrote: »
    I've come to accept that young boys are frequently voiced by girls, and therefore sound confusingly like them in many cases.

I will admit to really, really hoping it was going to be a return of the Geek after just watching the trailer and not being sure whose brain it was that was put into Max's head. It kinda sounds like her. Heaven knows Sam and Max need some brilliant redheaded nerdy child building them bizarre weaponry and giving the desoto random upgrades. *sigh* Those were the days. I miss the geek. I think the thing in the fridge came back and ate her. :D or not . . .

i really, really hate the geek
  • edited June 2010
    I thought he was a boy at first, and i could've swore Sam called him a priestess, or something-ess(but maybe it was just highness? I'm not sure now, I don't think so though.), which got me all confused.
  • edited June 2010
    I didn't but my sister did, While i was playing she just walked in the room, saw me play for a while then she's like "So Max's temporary brain is a girl?" And i'm like No!! It's actually a boy xD
    Ugh Me too, man! @_@
  • edited June 2010
    I knew he was a boy, but his girly voice made him more adorable.
  • edited June 2010
    I knew he was a boy, but his girly voice made him more adorable.

There was that child-like wonder and glee. For some reason I was expecting it to be baby Amelia Airheart in disguise.
  • edited June 2010
    Nobody seems to have heard it was the same voice as Morgan in Tales of Monkey Island though.
    I heard it from her/his first line. ;)
    Nicki Rapp is back!
  • edited June 2010

Why for? Although part of the Geek's appeal was less the actual character and more the supply of really random arsenal she provided Sam and Max with.
  • edited June 2010
    I dislike the Geek mostly because she's standard "Oh, token girl character to appeal to teh femalz!!11!"

And there's also the fact that if she wasn't forced into the show, the network would have pushed for Max to be made a girl.

I mean really, people. :\
  • edited June 2010
    Isn't that an argument for her? I mean, we don't really want to push for Max to be a girl, do we? Although that could explain why he doesn't like girls . . .

And yes, she was put in to fulfill a certain female quotient, but that certainly wasn't the first show to do that sort of thing, and that doesn't really speak for or against the character itself as much as it's a comment on the network. So I'm not sure that argument really makes sense to me.
  • edited June 2010
    I guess Sammun-Mak is gay then. When he acts like child instead ruler, he is very girl like (for example when dodging Space Gorilla's bullets).
  • edited June 2010
    Isn't that an argument for her? I mean, we don't really want to push for Max to be a girl, do we? Although that could explain why he doesn't like girls . . .

And yes, she was put in to fulfill a certain female quotient, but that certainly wasn't the first show to do that sort of thing, and that doesn't really speak for or against the character itself as much as it's a comment on the network. So I'm not sure that argument really makes sense to me.

And she's not the only character I dislike from a series because of it. I often have a gripe with female characters that mostly exist just to appeal to girls in general. If I remember correctly (slap me if I don't), the Geek WAS originally designed to be male, and they changed him into a female instead of Max. While I vastly prefer that switch to a girl!Max, the whole thing still feels rather gimmicky and forced to me.

It should be noted that as an actual character, I rather do like the Geek. Her nonchalance and intelligence complement Sam & Max nicely. But she still feels tacked-on.

So no, it's not fair to the Geek (or any other audience-oriented female character), but those are my personal feelings.
  • edited June 2010
    Omegabegin wrote: »
    And she's not the only character I dislike from a series because of it. I often have a gripe with female characters that mostly exist just to appeal to girls in general. If I remember correctly (slap me if I don't), the Geek WAS originally designed to be male, and they changed him into a female instead of Max. While I vastly prefer that switch to a girl!Max, the whole thing still feels rather gimmicky and forced to me.

It should be noted that as an actual character, I rather do like the Geek. Her nonchalance and intelligence complement Sam & Max nicely. But she still feels tacked-on.

So no, it's not fair to the Geek (or any other audience-oriented female character), but those are my personal feelings.

Nope, you remember correctly -- the Geek was still a male in the series bible. And as someone who has a certain fondness/sympathy for characters who have inherent potential but had the ball dropped on their execution in canon, I completely agree with your assessment in the last two paragraphs.

I think the Geek had one good moment in the last episode of the series, though (the flashback to when she met Sam and Max). Something about that whole scene was note-perfect. But of course that happened in the last episode, so ...
    Clord wrote: »
    I guess Sammun-Mak is gay then. When he acts like child instead ruler, he is very girl like (for example when dodging Space Gorilla's bullets).

I dunno, those moves screamed "wascally wabbit!" to me more than anything.
  • edited June 2010
    Well, I do see what you're saying a little bit more, now. I can see how it could potentially feel forced, and it is irritating when bureaucrats get to make a call like that, but it didn't feel quite so much forced as it did generally unexplained as to why she should be there to me.

Although, as a girl, and I know this is "just typical" but I'm going to say it anyway-- I'd rather have an obligatory girl for other females to relate to than an obligatory girl to provide fan service to draw the men in. Because the latter seems to be the case far more often, frankly.
  • edited June 2010
    Although, as a girl, and I know this is "just typical" but I'm going to say it anyway-- I'd rather have an obligatory girl for other females to relate to than an obligatory girl to provide fan service to draw the men in. Because the latter seems to be the case far more often, frankly.

...I suppose I should have mentioned that I'm a girl, too, so I hope nobody interpreted me as some kind of misogynist. I probably wouldn't even have these issues if I was a male :p

I feel bad that I don't like the Geek sometimes, because it's not her fault the network guys are idiots. She's a truly likable character - as light_rises said, her flasback scene was amazing and in my opinion one of the best damn scenes in the cartoon - but it was kind of fruitless for them to say "So here's your girl character", but end up not using her all that often.

So I should say that my true gripe lies not with the Geek herself, but with those bureaucrats assuming that if there's no coined female character, girls won't watch it. I personally find that patronizing...but that's just me. (Like you said, if she was just Fanservice Girl, I probably would've just ragequit!)
  • edited June 2010
    I actually thought he was a girl until the game actually referred to him as a he.
  • edited June 2010
    @Omegabegin
    THAT I can agree with.
  • edited June 2010
    So did I.

The Pharoah is only supposed to be 10 years old though, so his voice will undoubtedly be high. He can't be gay, if anything, he's narcissistic and easily amused. Max is naturally effeminate because he's cute, and plays to our stereotypes of cuteness balanced out with a badass attitude. Sammun-Mak is similar to Max in his childlike manner, but he is sociopathic, irrational and domineeering. The thing about Max is, however trigger happy and disliking of girls he is, he always sticks by Sam. This is why the brain in the jar, which looks hideous, is a much nicer character than Sammun-Mak, who looks cute but has a bad attitude. I think this game taught me that I love Max as a character, not just the way he looks.

The thing I only just noticed, was that Skunk'Ape's voice is the same as LeChuck's.

Out of the new characters in this episode though, the tourist is without question my favourite (even if he is a reused character model).
  • edited June 2010
    The thing I only just noticed, was that Skunk'Ape's voice is the same as LeChuck's.

Not true. LeChuck's voice has always been British and deep but that's where the similarity ends. LeChuck has by Earl Boen, Adam Harrington (who also voiced Moose the stoner surfer dude in TMI) and Kevin Blackton.

Skun-ka'pe is voiced by Roger L. Jackson, who has had a variety of voice-acting roles within Telltale, including Winslow in TMI, the mole grandpa in Sam & Max 302, Satan (oops thought it was Andrew Chaikin) and Abraham Lincoln. I think Skun-ka'pe sounds remarkably close to Abraham Lincoln, albeit with a different accent.
  • bubbledncrbubbledncr Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2010
    olimango wrote: »
    I don't know about you, but I thought Sammun-Mak was a girl until about halfway through the episode. Just her voice and mannerisms made him very feminine or something.

Anyone else?

Actually, I would say 80% of his gestures are the same as Max's. Tho the timing and such of those gestures were set up to go with the voice, so perhaps he has feminine timing?
  • edited June 2010
    Well, of course I thought about "him" as a girl, what with the female (highly ****ing annoying) voice.

And here I was thinking it couldn't get worse than Baby Amalia.
  • edited June 2010
    I still think it's a girl.
  • edited June 2010
    His voice is brilliant. Sounds so twisted and fun :D It does sound a little like a girl but I really can't imagine his voice any different
  • edited June 2010
    olimango wrote: »

Anyone else?

I certainly did! Of course, for years I thought the majarahja from Temple of Doom was a girl too.
  • edited June 2010
    Clord wrote: »

You don't know your egyptology then right? For example Tutankhamon -men -mun however it's spelled depending on where you're from, was 9 when he became the ruler. For me Nicki fit in perfectly as a young boy's voice.
  • edited July 2010
    Marty wrote: »
    All I could hear was Morgan :D

I wonder why.... :rolleyes: :cool:
  • edited July 2010
    He just sounded like a little boy to me. An annoying and spoilt one at that.
  • edited July 2010
    Sounded like a young boy to me - but I think that I might just be used to all kids sounding kinda girly from watching so many cartoons (like the whole Bart/Lisa Simpson having the same female voice actor thing.)
  • harringtonvoharringtonvo Verified
    edited July 2010
    tbm1986 wrote: »
    Not true. LeChuck's voice has always been British and deep but that's where the similarity ends. LeChuck has by Earl Boen, Adam Harrington (who also voiced Moose the stoner surfer dude in TMI) and Kevin Blackton.

Skun-ka'pe is voiced by Roger L. Jackson, who has had a variety of voice-acting roles within Telltale, including Winslow in TMI, the mole grandpa in Sam & Max 302, Satan (oops thought it was Andrew Chaikin) and Abraham Lincoln. I think Skun-ka'pe sounds remarkably close to Abraham Lincoln, albeit with a different accent.

Roger Jackson is also the guy behind the voice, behind the mask in the Scream horror film series.
  • edited July 2010
    I think Jackson also did the voices for some of the Puzzle Agent characters. I think I remember reading in the credits that he voiced Agent Jennings(?)... don't anyone quote me on this, because I could be wrong.
  • edited July 2010
    I thought he was a boy ever since the trailer, were it wasn't even stated who the brain belonged to. It's quite normal that adult women voice young boys, and I think she got the voice boy-ish enough. Not Bart Simpson boy-ish (who has a voice actress), but good enough. : P
  • edited July 2010
    Sammun-Mak and Paperwaiste kept giving me Morgan and Coronado flashbacks. It was a little annoying, to be honest.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.