Your opinion on The Geek. Like her or Hate her?

edited January 2011 in Sam & Max
Well Saw a little discution on this matter on an unrelated thread and I decided to make this poll and opinion thread so you guys can opinion on your Hatred or Love of The Geek

My opinion:Yeah, I Hate her!! :D

Comments

• edited June 2010
    ...*Ducks head in shame*

......*Still votes "I hate her"*
  • edited June 2010
    She is ok for the toon... But I am glad she is not in the games..... I like it better when Sam and Max only really have each other..
  • edited June 2010
    So far I am the only person that liked her. Sure she only fits in the animated series, but she is still awesome. She doesn't need to be anywhere else to be awesome
  • edited June 2010
    I don't hate her but I think she's annoying and doesn't fit well in the Sam & Max universe.

This may be a little off topic but I wish [adult swim] would do a new Sam & Max show, but then again they'd probably ruin it...
  • edited June 2010
    I'm fairly ambivalent towards her. She was a nice foil in the animated series if a bit overdone, but I don't think I'd want to see her again, even in another animated series like the Nelvana one.
  • edited June 2010
    I took my overall opinion and rounded it up to "Meh." (I just can't bring myself to vote "I hate her.") She's not a bad character, and I think the idea of giving Sam and Max a "Q" who would be responsible for creating their arsenal and various useful gadgets has potential. It just seemed that the writers never really figured out what to do with her.

On the one hand, she was often shunted to the side or disappeared for episodes at a time so that she didn't interfere with Sam and Max's rapport (understandable). On the other hand, when she did show up, she was just ... kinda there. Trying to act as a "straight man" to Sam and Max, but not in a particularly appealing way. A third-wheeler, effectively.

Which I think is at the root of the problem, if not the entirety of it. Sam and Max work best together -- just together. I do think the Geek could have been much better incorporated, and maybe that would have come with a would-be second season of the show. But she would continue to have a life-long friendship and conflicting sensibilities to contend with. That's an uphill battle if I've ever seen one ... at least if you want to be a prominent character along with the Freelance Police.
  • edited June 2010
    She's okay. I found it annoying that Sam and Max were suddenly going on about how great some new character was. I wasn't sure whether I liked her or not until the final episode, when they flash back to when they first met the Geek. Her indifferent "okay" when Sam asks her if she wants to live in their basement and devote the rest of her life to fighting crime was hilarious. She was good in Sam & Max vs the Uglions, too.
  • edited June 2010
    It's pretty obvious they added her in the animated series because they needed someone for the kids to identify with. And she is a cliche, no doubt about it. But let's not be too hasty to say she has no use in the current canon -- young Amelia Earheart in Episode 2 of this season had a very similar style and she fit in fine.
  • edited June 2010
    I never liked it when cartoons threw in a character who's only purpose was to be a foil. Besides, having a "normal" sidekick just doesn't work for Sam & Max. Their different types of insanity play off of each other perfectly, and the Geek just feels like dead weight on top of their banter (which already suffers slightly in it's homogenized, kid-friendly cartoon form).

Don't get me wrong, I love the show. But if they were to revive it sans Geek, I wouldn't miss her for a second.
  • edited June 2010
    She's purely a plot device for a kids tv series. It's almost cliche that anything like Sam and Max would need a kid character to centralize everything that happens.
  • edited June 2010
    She is a bit of a plot device/foil, and she definitely works best in the cartoons. And I wouldn't want her coming in so much she got in way of the Sam and Max relationship. But it was fun to see S&M using her crazy inventions, and she did have her moments. I would have liked to see her at some point go evil and go after them for at least an episode. That would have been awesome. Or maybe if she was more incidentally working with them-- like a character that sometimes works with you, sometimes against you. I think the biggest flaw with her is that her relationship with S&M is too predictable.
  • edited June 2010
    fore me she was hook I like to see hare agen I like the fate she look at the insane and she hi she noes what sam and max are capitol of and shay hi guys
    most of the Cartier look at sam and max and only see a small part but wood be schedule of them
  • edited June 2010
    I chose the hate option, but that's a bit strong for my opinion. I find her annoying, out of place and poorly designed, not unlike a fanfic character. She doesn't even have any good flaws or clichés to play off of.
  • edited June 2010
    If I remember correctly, in a interview with Steve Purcell, he stated that he was asked to place a female character in the show, and he didn't think she was really needed and tried to keep the Geek out of the show as much as possible. Or something like that anyway.

Unfortunately, I can't remember where that interview was.

In any case I actually liked her as a character.
  • edited June 2010
    She was OK. Never bothered me. So I guess I'll pick the "meh" option then.
  • edited June 2010
    World93 wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, in a interview with Steve Purcell, he stated that he was asked to place a female character in the show, and he didn't think she was really needed and tried to keep the Geek out of the show as much as possible. Or something like that anyway.

Unfortunately, I can't remember where that interview was.

In any case I actually liked her as a character.

I believe the interview you're looking for is this one right
    http://samandmax.co.uk/2010/04/interview-with-steve-purcell/

It's a pretty good interview, too.
  • edited June 2010
    Yeah that's the one. thanks
  • edited June 2010
    I hated the geek so freaking much, I won't even do her the honour of capitalizing her name when I type it. :mad:
  • edited November 2010
    Rentless Monkey: If you had to add a third character to join Sam and Max, what would he/she be like and why? There was The Geek in the animated series – do you think she worked well?
    The Geek was the answer to the TV Network wanting a female character on the animated show. I don’t mind her as a character but I tried to keep her in the background as much as possible. I actually think it’s unwise to add a character to an established duo. There’s a rhythm to the two that you don’t want to have to interrupt.
    :confused::confused::confused:
  • edited November 2010
    Player_2 wrote: »
    I hated the geek so freaking much, I won't even do her the honour of capitalizing her name when I type it. :mad:

oh-look-its-this-thread-again.jpg
  • edited November 2010
    *raises the middle finger to the geek*
  • FlyFly
    edited December 2010
    I liked her more or less depending on the episode. In the episodes where she was contributing to the insanity herself, like in the first one and in the Uglions episode, or when she's casually creating a giant drill that uses Sam and Max's heads as bits, I thought she was wonderful. In the episodes where her job is basically to stand on the sidelines and say 'you're being crazy', I found her really irritating. We already know Sam and Max are insane, we don't need it told to us.

That's why Sybil from the games works so nicely - her normality has to be aggressive in terms of the world she's in, so instead of being a 'straight man' she's a funny character in a totally different direction. I liked the Geek a lot when she was doing that. Also, yeah, girl power whoo feminist role model etc., I'm sure some five year old girl out there appreciated it.

Is it totally sacrilegious for me to admit that, while I'm glad it didn't happen, I would have liked the immediately vetoed suggestion to turn Max into the token girl? As long as female!Max retained as close to the same personality as possible - don't upgrade the bromance into UST except for when it would be funnier otherwise, substitute 'you don't even like boys' for 'you don't even like girls', go no further - I don't think it would have changed anything too sacred. If little girls are going to insert themselves into a little girl role model character, why can't it be a little muderous disgusting sociopath girl?
  • edited December 2010
    Fly wrote: »
    I liked her more or less depending on the episode. In the episodes where she was contributing to the insanity herself, like in the first one and in the Uglions episode, or when she's casually creating a giant drill that uses Sam and Max's heads as bits, I thought she was wonderful. In the episodes where her job is basically to stand on the sidelines and say 'you're being crazy', I found her really irritating. We already know Sam and Max are insane, we don't need it told to us.

That's why Sybil from the games works so nicely - her normality has to be aggressive in terms of the world she's in, so instead of being a 'straight man' she's a funny character in a totally different direction. I liked the Geek a lot when she was doing that. Also, yeah, girl power whoo feminist role model etc., I'm sure some five year old girl out there appreciated it.

Is it totally sacrilegious for me to admit that, while I'm glad it didn't happen, I would have liked the immediately vetoed suggestion to turn Max into the token girl? As long as female!Max retained as close to the same personality as possible - don't upgrade the bromance into UST except for when it would be funnier otherwise, substitute 'you don't even like boys' for 'you don't even like girls', go no further - I don't think it would have changed anything too sacred. If little girls are going to insert themselves into a little girl role model character, why can't it be a little muderous disgusting sociopath girl?

Agreed of first two statements... unhealthily curious about the third. As much as I know canon!Max would forever be a guy in my eyes, girl!Max, retaining his/her psychopathic nature, would have been interesting to see, if not a little jarring.

Anyway, back on topic.
  • mDtmDt
    edited January 2011
    She's kind of a Bosco character but seems to be more of a "straightman" character in the world of Sam and Max. Plus, she was a kid, so it seemed like she was only there to give kids, especially girls as there don't seem to be any other repeating female characters on the show, and seems to exist with the sole purpose of telling Sam and Max that an idea is bad before they off and do it anyway. I don't know, her involvement really felt like a means to make the show more PC and what not - somebody has to think that Sam and Max don't always have the best ideas, and somebody rational has to think about their well being and safety from time to time. It pulls from the feel of the show though, but gives kids a figure to try and emulate. Seems like all she can do is invent gadgets and call them nuts.

SO OFF WITH HER HEAD! OFF WITH HER HEAAAAAAAD!

Plus, I can't think of the name "Geek" without the Kevin Smith explanation the definition of the term. "A geek is the guy who works at the carnival freak show biting the heads off of live chickens."

EDIT: without reading the second page beforehand, I see that Fly said a lot of what I said much better than I did.
  • FlyFly
    edited January 2011
    mDt wrote: »
    somebody has to think that Sam and Max don't always have the best ideas, and somebody rational has to think about their well being and safety from time to time.

That's actually a pretty interesting point. Thinking about it, the addition of The Geek let Sam be more insane than he'd usually be in the comics and games; normally, Sam needs to at least be rational enough to tone down Max's stupid ideas, but in the cartoon, Sam could be just as bad as Max if The Geek was the one playing straight-man. I'm not sure this necessarily makes Sam's character better or more interesting or funnier, but I think it does make his character work better in the cartoon.
    mDt wrote: »
    Seems like all she can do is invent gadgets and call them nuts.

That's why I thought she was at her best in the Uglions episode, where she actually did some solo detective work, got captured, got herself out of trouble without relying on Sam and Max, and returned to find Max needing to be rescued instead. The whole time she was happily participating in the 'aliens taking over the world with fast food' plot without pausing to point out how stupid it was, and her taking everything so seriously amped up the comedy melodrama in a way Sam and Max wouldn't have been able to do. I wish she'd been like that more often in the series, but that would have involved giving her a larger role and potentially messing up the duo dynamic, I suppose.
  • edited January 2011
    I can't see why people hated her, she worked fairly well, the "GOING FOR DISTANCE!!" bit in her lab made me laugh!
  • edited January 2011
    I liked her, and the only reason i wouldnt want her in the games was it be a terrible 3D model xD
  • edited January 2011
    I could care less about her:P
  • edited January 2011
    Whiz kids are annoying :P
  • edited January 2011
    yes yes they are
  • edited January 2011
    she is cool but i like Lorne "the friend for liiifeee" more
  • edited January 2011
    I think she's alright. I mean she's not as funny as Sam and Max, but she was never annoying or anything. Though, she was never in any episodes for THAT long so she didn't have much opportunity to stand out either way.
  • edited January 2011
    Last time I remember watching the cartoon of Sam and max, I was really annoyed with her. I saw out as a character that was forced to be added in any show. She was out of place in this and didnt blend in quite well with the sam and max universe.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.