season 3, remove the "noise effect" ?

edited June 2010 in Sam & Max
Hi , I just finished the season 2 so I got the season 3 ep1...
But I'm kinda disapointed!

After dealing with the graphic option to make it run smooth,
(running on iMac 2.93GHz , core duo, 4gb DDR3,NVIDIA GeForce GT 120)
btw i really wonder what it need to run in full rez....

I end up with this *censored* noise effect.... please for the love of Max,
tell me how to remove it!!!!

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Is it that bad? I don't have anything bad against it but some people says it destroys the whole game.

It's understandable if you're having special problems with it (the effect being too intense or whatever), so if you have that kind of problems, people will try to help. Otherwise, I don't really think so. Because that effect helps gathering the overall atmosphere of the season and I think it's an essential part of the game.
  • edited June 2010
    it needs less than that to run perfectly. I'm running a macbookpro that is worse than your iMac.

But episode 1 is pretty sketchy for Macs anyway.
  • edited June 2010
    Falanca wrote: »
    Because that effect helps gathering the overall atmosphere of the season and I think it's an essential part of the game.

well you got a point!

But I was hoping, by turning it off, it would help tu run the game better.
    For now, If i want to be able to play is "good" condition I must set graphics too:
    -800x600
    -graphic detail 1

...low as possible.

And it's not like im runing the game on a G3 OS9 lol.
  • edited June 2010
    How much space do you have on your harddrive left?
  • edited June 2010
    Remolay wrote: »
    How much space do you have on your harddrive left?

-145gb left !
    -not running anything else in the same time
    -iMac up to date

I'll be honest ... if i cant make it to work, i'll may have to "found" a PC version and play it on bootcamp...
  • edited June 2010
    I like the effect, though i'd like the option of turning it off so I could crank the overall graphics quality up more.

That said I couldn't imagine seeing Noir Sam without the grain effect
  • edited June 2010
    okay say let me get this straight
    -You have 145gb remaining
    -your specs are better than mine
    -up to date.

Like I said, The Penal zone is sketchy... It always crashed for me in a certain spots, try the other 2 at 9, they should work fine.
  • edited June 2010
    Bloodjack wrote: »
    -145gb left !
    -not running anything else in the same time
    -iMac up to date

I'll be honest ... if i cant make it to work, i'll may have to "found" a PC version and play it on bootcamp...

Actually, you can download the PC version if you bought it for Mac as well. You purchase them together.

And the noise effect is part of the graphics options. It is on purpose. You have to turn the graphics level down to one to get rid of it. It annoys some people, and I noticed it as well. I had to make sure I wasn't just seeing things when I first saw it.
  • edited June 2010
    Bloodjack wrote: »
    But I was hoping, by turning it off, it would help tu run the game better.
    JedExodus wrote: »
    I like the effect, though i'd like the option of turning it off so I could crank the overall graphics quality up more.

You wouldn't gain any noticeable performance by switching the grain filter off. It's a very simple effect.
  • edited June 2010
    You wouldn't gain any noticeable performance by switching the grain filter off. It's a very simple effect.

Surprisingly, some people have reported that going from graphics level 2 to graphics level 1 was a massive improvement. I believe that the only thing that changes between those two graphics levels is the grain effect. Apparently it is an effect that is hard on computers.
  • edited June 2010
    Power46 wrote: »
    Surprisingly, some people have reported that going from graphics level 2 to graphics level 1 was a massive improvement. I believe that the only thing that changes between those two graphics levels is the grain effect. Apparently it is an effect that is hard on computers.

Someone from Telltale can comment on the difference between L1 and L2, but I seriously doubt it's only the film grain.
    Anyway, the film grain is a rather simple effect, it needs a single pass through all the pixels, and it doesn't involve any complicated analysis like MSAA or SSAO does. It cannot be resource consuming. Unless it's really badly written. Which it isn't. :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.