Twin Peaks Awesomeness- But Please Scratch The Gameplay.

The atmosphere is FANTASTIC.

A pure throwback to early Twin Peaks-ian goodness that I immensely enjoyed along with the unique art style.

The gameplay however was plain atrocious. The puzzles were cute at first but quickly became repetitive and a retro-geeklords' wet dream.

It's a waste to use such a beautiful and unique artistic vision to cater to 15 or maybe 20 30yr olds-in-their-parents'-basements.

I say make it a traditional Telltale adventure game and I'm sold.

As it is, I'll be sticking to Sammun Mak.

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Stick to it then. Lots of people got this BECAUSE they wanted puzzles.
  • edited July 2010
    Borracho wrote: »
    It's a waste to use such a beautiful and unique artistic vision to cater to 15 or maybe 20 30yr olds-in-their-parents'-basements.

That's a highly prejudiced, uninformed assertion. Lots of people -- of all different ages, shapes and sizes -- like puzzle games.

I didn't think the puzzles were repetitive at all. There were some series of certain puzzle types, where later ones were of increasing difficulty. That's not at all unusual for puzzle games.

If you don't like puzzle games, then don't play puzzle games.
  • edited July 2010

What a bizarrely uncalled for and insecure comment. And I don't know if it's some sort of "retro geeklord's" wet dream...while there is Dr Brain, this is more of a cash in on recent casual success Professor Layton. And this is easily the most casual and NON-geeklord of their point and click adventure titles hands down. Damn casual geeklords with their normal day jobs geeking up the game for you with that taint of basement stank.
  • edited July 2010
    do-not-feed-the-trolls.jpg
  • edited July 2010
    nodoctors wrote: »
    What a bizarrely uncalled for and insecure comment. And I don't know if it's some sort of "retro geeklord's" wet dream...while there is Dr Brain, this is more of a cash in on recent casual success Professor Layton. And this is easily the most casual and NON-geeklord of their point and click adventure titles hands down. Damn casual geeklords with their normal day jobs geeking up the game for you with that taint of basement stank.

Truth, I am 22 years old with a house and a job, and the gameplay here was exactly what I wanted. Also, the art style is based on a universe created by the former creative director of TTG! If anyone knows how the style should be used, it is him.
  • edited July 2010
    Hey, where'd you find that picture of the OP?
  • edited July 2010
    OK, let's keep it civil, please.
  • edited July 2010
    Regardless of age or housing situation, it is simply a different genre. It is understandable if you didn't connect to this game the same way you would to Monkey Island or Sam and Max because they're apples and oranges.

P.S. SImply knowing the difference would be enough to make one nerdy enough for "parent's basement" status.

P.P.S. A fifteen-year-old wouldn't live in his parent's basement, he would just live with his parent's. He's still in high school you know.
  • edited July 2010
    ok guys. i just finish the early puzzle and its fantastic. love the game

But when i start playing the game i was like. damn this game would have been great if it was an adventure.

Still love the puzzles
  • edited July 2010
    jp-30 wrote: »
    OK, let's keep it civil, please.

The OP isn't civil, why should the people responding to him treat him any differently? You can't just make threads insulting everyone who likes a game and expect any discussion to come of it.
  • edited July 2010
    People don't have to take things personally, either. And I was addressing everyone, including the OP, who might came back and comment on the discussion.

And I'm certainly not trying to stop discussion in any way, just trying to steer it away from its current direction which is likely to see the thread locked.
  • edited July 2010
    I actually think that puzzles are the PERFECT pairing for a story and atmosphere like this. I mean, if you think about Twin Peaks, pretty much everything is the story is a puzzle and mysterious - trying to figure out who killed Laura, what the lodges are, who Bob is, etc. Mysteries ARE puzzles - the two fit together beautifully.
  • edited July 2010
    Hey, I'm back from my child-eating, bridge-infesting hike through the backwoods of rationality.

And Megaboz that's precisely what I had in mind. The setting was beautiful but the puzzles quickly devolved into a "more-of-the-same" type of thing, robbing certain sequences of their credibility.

***SPOILER****

Like when the ice fishing hut is sinking but you have all the time in the world to figure out the fish puzzle?

It just doesn't make any sense.

Incredible atmosphere and art direction and merely adequate as a puzzle game.

TTG is capable of such beautiful things, it'd be a shame to miss out on this opportunity.
  • edited July 2010
    so what you are saying is you would prefer this to be an adventure instead of a puzzle game, because then things would occur in real time.
  • edited July 2010
    Like when the ice fishing hut is sinking but you have all the time in the world to figure out the fish puzzle?

so what you are saying is you would prefer this to be an adventure instead of a puzzle game, because then things would occur in real time.
    Please, NOOOooooooo. I'm old (well, 49, but that's probably OLD to you guys), arthritic, and love a glass of wine with my puzzles. There's plenty of stuff out there that requires hand/eye coordination, speed and dexterity. Don't force it on my puzzle games as well. That was the ONLY reason I bought a DS and the Prf Layton games, and it's one of the reasons I enjoyed this one so much as well.
  • edited July 2010
    I do not really care for puzzle games... but I had faith TTG writers would have a good story in there to make it worth a buy....

BTW... 29 year old... but I live with my wife and kids.... and not in a basement.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.