How to save the game?????

How do I save my game???

I spent all yesterday morning and night playing the damn game and now I came to my PC and my save isn't there!!!

:mad:

Comments

• edited July 2010
    I had the same question, I asked it in the help section, here you go: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17853
  • MRNMRN
    edited July 2010
    Thanks
  • edited July 2010
    all ways quit to the main menue before turning off the game (just to be sure it saved)
  • edited July 2010
    Esc also should work as far as I remember. I think it has the same effect as pressing the folder in the top-left corner.
  • edited July 2010
    all ways quit to the main menue before turning off the game (just to be sure it saved)
    Uh-huh. And how do I quit to the main menu or, for that manner, invoke the main menu once the game starts? I would rather not have to power off my computer to quit the game, which is what I have to do so far (pressing Ctrl-Alt-Delete to invoke the Windows Task Manager doesn't work because, like most full-screen games, Puzzle Agent kills the Task Manager before I can select the executable).

I don't have particularly high expectations of a $10 game, but I gotta say, I've never come across a game before where neither Esc nor F1 do anything, and that doesn't have .txt or .pdf gameplay instructions tucked somewhere in the program files.
  • edited July 2010
    Uh-huh. And how do I quit to the main menu or, for that manner, invoke the main menu once the game starts? I would rather not have to power off my computer to quit the game, which is what I have to do so far (pressing Ctrl-Alt-Delete to invoke the Windows Task Manager doesn't work because, like most full-screen games, Puzzle Agent kills the Task Manager before I can select the executable).

I don't have particularly high expectations of a $10 game, but I gotta say, I've never come across a game before where neither Esc nor F1 do anything, and that doesn't have .txt or .pdf gameplay instructions tucked somewhere in the program files.

As soon as you are able to control Nelson, click the folder with a puzzle icon on it, click Main Menu, then click Quit.
  • edited July 2010
    Neelo wrote: »
    As soon as you are able to control Nelson, click the folder with a puzzle icon on it, click Main Menu, then click Quit.
    Diabolically clever of those Telltale people to make the gameplay instructions, themselves, among the puzzles to be solved by the user.

Unfortunately, I still can't quit the game from inside the game. There is no folder in my copy of the game. If by folder you mean "notebook": The second time the notebook appears, so far as I can see, is after Nelson gets the snowmobile/logs assignment. Clicking on "Solve It" brings up the puzzle rules, with an "OK!" dialog to be clicked. That then brings up a screen with six menu items at the right: What?, Hint, Quit, Reset, Rules, and Submit. Clicking on Quit brings up a "Too Hard?" "No, I just need a moment to think" dialog between Bjorn and Nelson, followed by the notebook again. Clicking on the notebook loops me back to the snowmobile/logs assignment screen again. I can lather-rinse-repeat this way as often as I want, but the game doesn't actually quit (or save, for that matter).

Maybe I should stick to Red Dead Redemption on my Xbox. It's got an actual, y'know, menu with choices that, y'know, do things.

I'm using an Alienware (Dell) M11x running Windows 7, if it makes any difference.
  • edited July 2010
    The folder appears after 2 or 3 puzzles
  • edited July 2010
    prizna wrote: »
    The folder appears after 2 or 3 puzzles
    OK, I finally got to a menu with a "quit" option that actually worked after solving two puzzles and entering the hotel. It's one thing for a game to have a limited number of "save" points, but this is the first game I've come across that allows quitting from within the game only at limited points. If I want to quit the game, it seems sort of rude to make me choose between shutting down my PC or being frog-marched forward through the game until I reach what the developers think is an appropriate quitting-point.
  • edited July 2010
    You could quit the game as soon as you can access the notebook. On the top right corner, there are 3 options: Main Menu, Journal and Back. Click Main Menu then click Quit. You can do this at any time.
  • edited July 2010
    I got a chance to start this game over the holiday weekend. I have to agree with the original poster that it's not obvious the first time you try it that the game is being saved when you quit. If you're used to the other games Telltale produces, quitting without explicitly saving first means you didn't save.

I would suggest that for any more games in this series or similar games where the user doesn't have an explicit Save option, you put a remark in the Quit dialog, like this:

Are You SURE You Want To Quit?
    (Your progress will be saved.)
    |Yes, Quit!| |No way!|

That little parenthetical remark would go a long way toward easing the minds of those of us who are used to always saving before quitting.
  • edited July 2010
    And the game should autosave after each puzzle anyway. It's silly that if you alt-f4 out of the game nothing will be saved.
  • edited October 2013
    Right before the Worldcup match between The Netherlands and Uruguay this evening, I started playing. When I arrived in Scoggins I had no time left, I had to watch TV from that moment on...I just had to. All worth it of course, WE ARE IN THE FINAL!

But I was surprised that I couldn't save my game. I understand that this will be possible just a few easy puzzles in, but still...I would have loved to be able to do it at any time.
  • [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2010
    If I want to quit the game, it seems sort of rude to make me choose between shutting down my PC or being frog-marched forward through the game until I reach what the developers think is an appropriate quitting-point.

It wasn't an intentional thing. Autosave only functions when you're able to control Nelson and there's not a tutorial banner up on screen. Unfortunately the beginning of the game wound up being a nonstop string of dialogue/puzzles/tutorial and that doesn't give the system the chance to save.

I'll figure something out for this.
  • edited July 2010
    Linque wrote: »
    And the game should autosave after each puzzle anyway.

It does. It autosaves before you start a puzzle, after you complete it, when you talk to someone, etc.
    It autosaves very frequently.
  • edited July 2010
    [TTG] Yare wrote: »
    It wasn't an intentional thing. Autosave only functions when you're able to control Nelson and there's not a tutorial banner up on screen. Unfortunately the beginning of the game wound up being a nonstop string of dialogue/puzzles/tutorial and that doesn't give the system the chance to save.

I'll figure something out for this.
    This sounds nice. I came across a similar situation as Pettifogger and Kardinaal, just wanting to preview my new game and then leave it and so I tried to after the second puzzle, but could not find any way to do so, so I had to full-stop my whole system. Not so funny.

And now that I'm here, there is another question I have to ask (maybe I should open up my own thread about it?!?). I was leaving my home to play "Puzzle Agent" with my laptop in the park, but couldn't activate the program, my serial number wouldn`t work. Can I only play "Puzzle Agent" when I'm online??? This I would definitely NOT like :mad:
  • edited July 2010
    You only need to be online and activate the game once, then you can play online whenever you want!
  • edited July 2010
    Okay, thanks then. Still I'm not really enthused about this as I do not have my laptop equipped with internet connection :(
  • edited July 2010
    mine saved every puzzle
  • edited July 2010
    When I first played it, I was really paranoid about quitting without saving it! I didn't see a save button, so I assumed it was autosave, but I still kept the window minimized for a while rather than quitting just in case.
  • edited July 2010
    ..eve. wrote: »
    Okay, thanks then. Still I'm not really enthused about this as I do not have my laptop equipped with internet connection :(

If you want to play it on your laptop, follow these instructions (click on "What if my computer doesn't have an internet connection?").
  • edited July 2010
    A question related to that: How do I LOAD when starting the game new?
    So far I own just the demo version, is it disabled there?

The details: I solved 3 puzzles (the third being the gnegative gnomes) and left the game. But now when I restart, I can just chose between settings and start game. No loading. Do I have to watch the whole freaking intro and solve the first two riddles again to actually be able to open the load menu? Or is that "just" a demo thing?
    So far the game really goes on my nerves with all of its "Guess how to handle me! Nope, you're wrong, that's not how the game mechanics work, try again!". Doesn't actually make me wanna spent money on it... -_-

(Don't get me wrong, the story looks promising, but I want to be able to save, load and quit at ANY time of the game, and not when the game thinks it might be okay. And being able to skip cutscenes would be nice thing, too.)
  • edited July 2010
    A question related to that: How do I LOAD when starting the game new?
    So far I own just the demo version, is it disabled there?

The details: I solved 3 puzzles (the third being the gnegative gnomes) and left the game. But now when I restart, I can just chose between settings and start game. No loading. Do I have to watch the whole freaking intro and solve the first two riddles again to actually be able to open the load menu? Or is that "just" a demo thing?
    So far the game really goes on my nerves with all of its "Guess how to handle me! Nope, you're wrong, that's not how the game mechanics work, try again!". Doesn't actually make me wanna spent money on it... -_-

(Don't get me wrong, the story looks promising, but I want to be able to save, load and quit at ANY time of the game, and not when the game thinks it might be okay. And being able to skip cutscenes would be nice thing, too.)

I don't think any of Telltale's Demos have a save/load option. Besides, demos are short lived, and they're meant to be played from start to finish, no breaks.

EDIT: You can skip dialogue, too. Just right click when someone's talking.
  • edited July 2010
    Ah, thanks for explaining.
    Well, later in he game I had an "Load" option in the menu. I haven't used it, so maybe it would have said "not available" when trying, but it made me think I could load. So in the full version there is a "Play Game", a "Settings" and a "Load" in the start-up screen?

And it's been a long time since I played a demo version of a TTG game the last time, usually I buy the game (or the whole season) right away. Just wasn't so sure about this game. And I still don't know. If TTG implements a better menu system that lets you always access all options (save, load, quit), I might consider it. If not... I think I'll skip this one. When I want to leave my house I don't want to wait for a game to allow me to do so. (Not even allowing me to speed up to the next save point by skipping scenes).
  • edited July 2010
    So in the full version there is a "Play Game", a "Settings" and a "Load" in the start-up screen?

Not quite. The menu is just 'Play Game', 'Settings' and 'Exit Game'. To load a previously started game click 'Play Game' and then click on the slot you chose when starting a new game with (it'll say Game No. 1 or 2 or whatever instead of New Game).
Sign in to comment in this discussion.