Suggestions for puzzle corrections

This is a very small complaint I would like to make about an otherwise pretty flawless game.

I solved all the puzzles in this game on the first try without using hints... or almost. There were two puzzles I didn't solve on my first try: "The Maw of Madness" and "Hydraulic Headache".

The reason I failed "Hydraulic Headache" was because I wasn't paying enough attention, but I would like to blame the fact that I failed "The Maw of Madness" on the developers. The problem is that the rules for that puzzle doesn't say that I have to fill all the yellow squares.

And there you have my minor suggestion for a puzzle correction. The only complaint I have about this game is that I would like to add the line "All yellow squares must be filled" to the rules section for "The Maw of Madness".

I don't want to be the sort of guy that only goes around complaining about stuff so I would like to end this post by saying that Puzzle Agent is a fantastic game and deserves as much praise that it can get. The people of Telltale games, you have done a great job, you're doing a great job and I see nothing but a great future for you.

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Well, The Hydraulic Headache also has something missing in the rules: It doesn't say whether or not they ALL move with the same directions, because when I did it I thought it went from making the first one to the end, then goes on to the second, and so forth.

In fact, while trying to go with the method I thought was right I got it solved on accident. This, however, was already after 2 tries.
  • edited July 2010
    Puzzle agent was a great game, and I failed on maw of madness too cos of not filling all the squares. It does say that you should though, or it implies it. Someone posted the rule that says that bit, I'll check.
  • edited July 2010
    Puzzle agent was a great game, and I failed on maw of madness too cos of not filling all the squares. It does say that you should though, or it implies it. Someone posted the rule that says that bit, I'll check.

Yes, the rules say to drag arrows to each of the squares.

In Hydraulic Headache, the fact that all three lifts move on each command is kind of implied, because otherwise why would it say "A lift will be stopped by a wall or barrier" and "Don't let any lift encounter a bear trap". If you're moving one lift at a time, you wouldn't command it to go to a non-empty space, right?

Anyway, we wouldn't have any of this confusion and the way the rules were written would matter less if you could set the puzzle in motion and try out your answers before having to submit, like you can in most of the puzzle games I've played.
  • edited July 2010
    thom-22 wrote: »
    Yes, the rules say to drag arrows to each of the squares.

In Hydraulic Headache, the fact that all three lifts move on each command is kind of implied, because otherwise why would it say "A lift will be stopped by a wall or barrier" and "Don't let any lift encounter a bear trap". If you're moving one lift at a time, you wouldn't command it to go to a non-empty space, right?

Anyway, we wouldn't have any of this confusion and the way the rules were written would matter less if you could set the puzzle in motion and try out your answers before having to submit, like you can in most of the puzzle games I've played.

They also don't mention that the lifts "stick" in place once they've hit one of the target squares. I assumed they still shifted around, which cost me a submission...
  • edited July 2010
    Actually, I am 100% certain they mentioned that.
  • edited July 2010
    dnelson wrote: »
    They also don't mention that the lifts "stick" in place once they've hit one of the target squares. I assumed they still shifted around, which cost me a submission...

Yes, they do. "4. A lift will stop moving when it reaches its goal."
  • edited July 2010
    thom-22 wrote: »

Yes, they do. "4. A lift will stop moving when it reaches its goal."

Err... "Your honor, I withdraw my objection"
  • edited July 2010
    Err... "Your honor, I withdraw my objection"

Consider it withdrawn :D I don't mean to be sounding pedantic about the rules, because, in general, I agree that the developers need to be a little more careful in how they're written.
  • edited July 2010
    Crescent moon puzzle, as it was obviously about some moon like creature, I completed it upside down but developers didn't realize to allow it as correct solution. Nowhere is puzzle description is told what way it should be.
  • edited July 2010
    The one that got me annoyed was "A Quorum of Crows" because the rules don't make it clear that there is a bluebird on each end of the clothesline, unless you look at a hint. I screwed up on the first submission because I assumed that the two bluebirds were meant to be two photos of the same bird. :S
  • edited July 2010
    The hotel room key should be made a little clearer, I spent 15 minutes trying to figure out what
    HIHE
    meant.
  • edited July 2010
    Epic Kiwi wrote: »
    The one that got me annoyed was "A Quorum of Crows" because the rules don't make it clear that there is a bluebird on each end of the clothesline, unless you look at a hint. I screwed up on the first submission because I assumed that the two bluebirds were meant to be two photos of the same bird. :S

I don't think that's a valid complaint. The rules don't say anything about which photos matched -- that's what you were supposed to be figuring out. If you match the bluebirds, the lowest number you could get is one more than if you don't match the bluebirds, but it was up to you to try all possible combinations to find the lowest number. (I actually did the same thing, assumed the bluebirds matched and made my guess thinking in the back of my mind I probably should have tried with the assumption that the bluebirds didn't match. Sure enough... :o )
  • edited July 2010
    So, that's why I answered 6 the first time and got it wrong. :o
  • edited July 2010
    "Hydraulic Headache" was the best puzzle in the game. One of the few puzzles on which I had to think more than 10 seconds.... Why not all puzzles are so tricky?
  • edited July 2010
    The hardest one for me was probably "A Quorum of Crows". That one messed with my head but it was fun. Probably would have been easier if I had drawn it out on a piece of paper but I enjoyed the challenge of doing it in my head.
  • edited July 2010
    Lebostein wrote: »
    "Hydraulic Headache" was the best puzzle in the game. One of the few puzzles on which I had to think more than 10 seconds.... Why not all puzzles are so tricky?

Oddly, that was one of the easiest ones for me. I think Quorum of Crows was the hardest for me.
  • [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2010
    I'll try to address any unclear text or ambiguous rules for future platforms and potential PC/Mac builds.
  • edited July 2010
    Epic Kiwi wrote: »

I solved it assumming the bird was actually the same and not two different in each line. Of course, I guess it's trickier in that way.
  • edited July 2010
    [TTG] Yare wrote: »
    I'll try to address any unclear text or ambiguous rules for future platforms and potential PC/Mac builds.

Does this mean the releases for iPad, iPod Touch/iPhone, and Wii are still in development and not in the hands of the respective distribution channels for approval yet?
  • edited July 2010
    A minor issue (I'm just starting the game so I haven't hit the Quorum or anything (: )

The 'football' game indicates the team should complete _a_ pass.

_A_ pass would be between two players.

The actual solution is passing between all players.

This could be worded slightly better. I used a hint in order to be sure I really had to complete a pass between all players, or if I needed to pass between the furthest apart, or, just what the heck it was I was to do so I could get a 'perfect' score. And of course using the hint dropped it from perfect so (: (The hint didn't really help, as it didn't address _MY_ question - what the heck do I _do_ to solve this completely (: )

But, wording this differently could solve some ambiguity I experienced.
  • edited July 2010
    Truck wrote: »
    A minor issue (I'm just starting the game so I haven't hit the Quorum or anything (: )

The 'football' game indicates the team should complete _a_ pass.

_A_ pass would be between two players.

The actual solution is passing between all players.

This could be worded slightly better. I used a hint in order to be sure I really had to complete a pass between all players, or if I needed to pass between the furthest apart, or, just what the heck it was I was to do so I could get a 'perfect' score. And of course using the hint dropped it from perfect so (: (The hint didn't really help, as it didn't address _MY_ question - what the heck do I _do_ to solve this completely (: )

But, wording this differently could solve some ambiguity I experienced.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. I realized pretty quickly that "one pass" was impossible, but it was a pretty poorly worded puzzle.
  • edited July 2010
    One possibility for clarifying all of the ambiguous and/or poorly worded puzzles in one fell swoop would be to provide a visual example of a mini-puzzle in action in the instruction phase of the puzzle. For example, on the instructions screen for the hydrolic lift puzzle, instead of just having static images next to the instructions on the screen, actually have some moving examples, perhaps highlighting each rule as its example plays. The football, snowmachine, and madness puzzles would have also benefited from this approach.

All in all, great game though. I'm looking forward to the next episode, and hoping the puzzles will be tightened!
  • edited July 2010
    For some of the puzzles, it might have helped if the submit button wasn't active until the player's solution was at least complete. For example, for Arm Wrestling Redux or Barrier Blot-out, you cannot submit unless you've actually selected something. That's good: it helps the player avoid mistakes without giving away the solution.

However, the Maw of Madness puzzle you can submit without filling all the spaces, which is apparently required by the rules. Technically, it is in the rules ("drag arrows to each space") but it's not very intuitive, and I missed it the first time. Enabling the submit button only after all spaces have been filled makes this rule a lot more visible to the player, without ruining the puzzle.

This rule was especially confusing because the very similar snowmobile/log puzzles do not require you to fill up all open spaces.
  • edited August 2010
    I found what appears to be a mistake in a hint i used. I was doing the puzzle about the football players getting a job after school. each player needs to complete a pass without braking any glass. i got the idea right away but i had to use some hints. on the second hint it shows one pass that is incorrect consequently pissing me off because i made a few guesses using that hint.
  • edited August 2010
    rob83 wrote: »
    I found what appears to be a mistake in a hint i used. I was doing the puzzle about the football players getting a job after school. each player needs to complete a pass without braking any glass. i got the idea right away but i had to use some hints. on the second hint it shows one pass that is incorrect consequently pissing me off because i made a few guesses using that hint.

I've been thinking about the hints for those football player puzzles, and I'm beginning to believe that they are indeed hints, not solutions. I think they're demonstrating what you need to do without showing you where the lines actually need to be. That would explain why none of them fit the solution.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.