Rating system too harsh?

I have to say this right here and right now: The rating system for puzzles could be improved. There are only four ratings to get (that I know of):
Borderline, Passable, Excellent, and Top Agent.
(lowest to highest)

But the problem is, is that on any puzzle (no matter how difficult or easy), getting it wrong twice gets you to Borderline. So, if you get a puzzle wrong twice, then you can pretty much go and guess all you want (which I sometimes did) because you know you can't get better. I think that after 3 wrong answers you should get Borderline, and then 2 wrong is either Passable or something in between B and P.

Comments

• edited July 2010
    ...and then someone comes along saying that after 3 tries, you can pretty much wank it and it should be only after 4 wrong answers.

...and then someone comes along saying that after 4 tries, you can pretty much wank it and it should be only after 5 wrong answers.

...and then someone comes along saying that after 5 tries, you can pretty much wank it and it should be only after 6 wrong answers.

• edited July 2010
    ...and then someone comes along saying that after 3 tries, you can pretty much wank it and it should be only after 4 wrong answers.

...and then someone comes along saying that after 4 tries, you can pretty much wank it and it should be only after 5 wrong answers.

...and then someone comes along saying that after 5 tries, you can pretty much wank it and it should be only after 6 wrong answers.

So do you like the idea i proposed or not?
  • edited July 2010
    "Score" really doesn't mean anything, so why should they?
  • edited July 2010
    what about the taxpayer's money, you dont want to waste that
  • edited July 2010
    DARN, You got me there... :D
  • edited July 2010
    I think that they wanted people to use the hints, instead than just try a lot of different solutions, at least that's the idea I get from the rating system. Still, the problem was that on some occasions the first try was actually just to get what we were supposed to do, because the rules were missing some vital information or so ambiguous than one would have to make some hyphotesis. For sure giving borderline with two tries on those puzzles that gave you four or five different solutions was spot-on (otherwise one would simply try everything), but even on the others, excellent would be for those who used hints and no wrong solution, passable for a wrong answer, borderline for two or more. It makes sense.

They should have probably just have written the instructions better, then the system would be really "fair" to the player
Sign in to comment in this discussion.