Debug the bug puzzle? Or did I miss something?

I think I came up with an alternative, but unacceptable answer for the second 'bugs in boxes' puzzle. Do the developers need to add a rule that says 'use the least amount of boxes necessary' or something? Some of the boxes in the accepted answer can in fact be divided, which is what I had done.

Comments

• edited July 2010
    I believe the rule you are talking about is already there, I remember reading that you had to use as few boxes as possible, in fact that's what I did and I never had problems with alternatives solutions, because I would always try to see if there were reduntant boxes.
  • edited July 2010
    yea, that rule is already there.
  • edited July 2010
    OK thanks. I think my eyes were crossed by that stage, having been on a marathon puzzle solving mission. Thanks for your replies.
  • edited July 2010
    I'm on the first puzzle, and I believe I have the only correct solution, but it says no, therefore, I do not believe I know what constitutes a 'box.'

Is a box:
    - a square on the grid? (If so, then my solution is wrong. This seems to be what the game implies.)
    - an enclosing set of squares? (Which would make my solution correct.)

Also:
    - Are the bugs 'territories' inclusive, or exclusive? I read the rules as stating that the territoreis are 'exclusive' which means the 4 grassgrazers need 12 squares, and the 6 peddlepaddlers need 12 squares. Thus, as the grid itself is 6x4 squares, the puzzle requires all squares to be allocated to bugs for an 'exclusive territory' solution. Which, again, I have, and it says "bzzzt wrong." (:

So I guess I'm gonna go try for an inclusive solution, which ... well means I can put the grassgrazers in a "box" which is 3 squares in size, and the peddlepadlers in a box that is... well I'll optimize and see which is more optimal for the inclusive solution.

Anyway, I'm of the opinion this is not worded well as I am unsure of what a 'box' is, nor what constitutes 'Territory.'

And the 'inclusive' solution is incorrect, so... I'm going to bet there are multiple correct solutions.
  • edited July 2010
    Truck wrote: »
    I'm on the first puzzle, and I believe I have the only correct solution, but it says no, therefore, I do not believe I know what constitutes a 'box.'

Is a box:
    - a square on the grid? (If so, then my solution is wrong. This seems to be what the game implies.)
    - an enclosing set of squares? (Which would make my solution correct.)

Also:
    - Are the bugs 'territories' inclusive, or exclusive? I read the rules as stating that the territoreis are 'exclusive' which means the 4 grassgrazers need 12 squares, and the 6 peddlepaddlers need 12 squares. Thus, as the grid itself is 6x4 squares, the puzzle requires all squares to be allocated to bugs for an 'exclusive territory' solution. Which, again, I have, and it says "bzzzt wrong." (:

So I guess I'm gonna go try for an inclusive solution, which ... well means I can put the grassgrazers in a "box" which is 3 squares in size, and the peddlepadlers in a box that is... well I'll optimize and see which is more optimal for the inclusive solution.

Anyway, I'm of the opinion this is not worded well as I am unsure of what a 'box' is, nor what constitutes 'Territory.'

And the 'inclusive' solution is incorrect, so... I'm going to bet there are multiple correct solutions.

Each box is described as needing to "have four sides". In other words they must all be squares or rectangles. No zig-zaggy boxes!

Each bug needs that many squares *to themselves*. 3 grassgrazers require 9 squares.

Can you screenshot your incorrect solutions? It might give us some more leads on where you might be going wrong.

(Little side-point, for TTG: I never tried not doing so, but do you actually have to fill in the edges of the grid too, or are they regarded as implicitly included?)
  • edited July 2010
    and you need the lowest possible number of boxed.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.