Problems starting on OS X

Hey guys, so I downloaded the demo of PA (which I believe is the full version, but run in a locked state?). I'm on OS X 10.6.3. I get to a screen where it says "Already own this game?" And asks me to log in to unlock it. Also there's a big green button to buy the game.

Nowhere on the screen is there a button to play the demo, and just so you at Telltale know: the bar at the bottom that prompts me to sign up to the newsletter is covering some of the controls. I don't know whether all the controls are just appearing too far down and there's a demo button there or what but the fact I can't resize the window means I'll never know.

Any hints on how to get the demo mode to start?

Thanks!

Comments

• edited July 2010
    OK guys I managed to get it to work by randomly clicking as the app is loading. Don't ask me why it worked but it did. I take it no one else is having the same problem.

So when playing the demo I was having some difficulties:
    1. There is no obvious way to save. OK so maybe that's disabled in the demo but...
    2. Clicking load just starts a new game without warning
    3. There is no way to skip cut scenes
    4. Most of the time there is no way to access the in-game menu and therefore
    5. there's no way to quit
    6. I can't find a way to turn off the speech bubbles which are kind of distracting especially as some flash on and off too quickly to read them
    7. I can't find a way to turn off the hints (which actually seem to be linear commands). Why do I need to inspect the fence before going into the hotel?

This seems like an awful lot of basic usability problems. I really want to like this game!! Can you help me out?
  • edited July 2010
    I can't help you with the technical stuff, but I can tell you that 3 is by design. 4 is only true (or should be) early on and during puzzles. 7 is also by design as a sort of tutorial. Those instructions will stop soon enough, but you do have to obey to go on.
    Also 1 is by design. You pick/load a slot when you start, and then it autosaves when you go to the menu and quit.
  • edited July 2010
    Same problem here, I can't even start the demo. Not cool.
  • edited July 2010
    The only problem i have encountered starting the game is the ususal hang you get when a TTG game tries to connect to the internet and can't, also after you registered it. It then takes a half to one minute and then you can start it.
  • edited July 2010
    I had the same problem (no visible way to start as a demo) with the version I downloaded the day that the demo was released. I just now tried downloading it again and got a newer version (tagged "..._v2"). This version does correctly draw the startup screen and so allows starting without unlocking the game.
  • edited July 2010
    Same problem on the demo as well.
  • edited July 2010
    About Mak's first point, it autosaves, and quite often too (after every puzzle, cutscene and when you quit).

Not being able to skip cutscenes or access the menu at some points are bad design, though. So while this may have been on purpose, it only removes convenience. Though in a game like this, one usually wouldn't want to skip the cutscenes anyway, unless they're playing it for the Nth time and just want to do the puzzles at that point.
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited July 2010
    DaVince wrote: »
    Though in a game like this, one usually wouldn't want to skip the cutscenes anyway, unless they're playing it for the Nth time and just want to do the puzzles at that point.

If they're playing it for the Nth time, they can always replay any puzzle they completed from the main menu.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.