Twin Peaks, anyone?

Is it just me or between the folksy townspeople with a dark secret, the mysterious little people, and the freaking TAPE RECORDER!, doesn't Puzzle Agent just feel like a cheap rip-off of Twin Peaks?

The only difference is Agent Cooper wasn't a complete weenie.

Comments

• edited July 2010
    i think it definitely resembles some aspects of twin peaks, sure, i certainly noticed a whole bunch of stuff, but i'd never call it a "rip-off."
    probably more of an homage if anything.
    but seriously, no one-armed-man, no rip-off.
    AND no "damn good coffee!"
  • edited July 2010
    There are definite Twin Peaks influences. Also Fargo, Northern Exposure and other media with quirky townsfolk, bleak locations and unusual happenings...
  • edited July 2010
    I've only started playing 2 minutes ago and I agree that there is a similarity... but I wouldn't call it a "cheap rip-off". I'd rather call it awesome! Seriously, you can do a lot worse than emulating David Lynch when it comes to atmosphere.

(And Nelson Tethers may not be Dale Cooper, but trouble at the eraser factory doesn't compare to a murdered high school girl either. ;))
  • edited July 2010
    Twin peaks was good... but at times it seemed pretentious and David Lynch seemed to have it weird just for the sake of being weird.
  • edited July 2010
    I loved the first season of Twin Peaks. I quickly lost interest in the second season though, and I've never been able to watch more than the first couple of episodes of it. Am I missing out on anything?

I'm sure most people who like Twin Peaks have seen Carnivàle, but if you haven't, you should give it a try.
  • edited July 2010
    Carnivale was great... now that show knew how to be weird but the weird actually made sense for the story.
  • edited July 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    Twin peaks was good... but at times it seemed pretentious and David Lynch seemed to have it weird just for the sake of being weird.

Maybe he should've taken some queues from Stephen Lynch.
  • edited July 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »

you don't know much about david lynch, do you?
    plus, he was only on for the first season and then the series finale.
    his original idea was to make the show a one-season mini-series, but the network forced it into a second season due to popularity.
    that's why he bailed for the second season, and that's also why the seacond season is mostly garbage.
    ...except for ted raimi, of course:cool:
  • edited July 2010
    I have watched plenty of Lynch and I like his stuff just fine... but no I do not buy it all all the time... I do not think he is as brilliant as his fans like to think he is... sometime I think he tries to hard.
  • edited July 2010
    Did you know that George Lucas thought on Lynch, and actually offered him, the direction of Return of the Jedi?
    There was funny video on youtube somewhere....

Here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJQ4vCu-S0U
Sign in to comment in this discussion.