Back to the future game features

edited August 2010 in Back to the Future
Hello, I want to see what you want this games features to be. Please leave a comment below and i will respond

Comments

• edited July 2010
    1. Free roam around Hill valley
    2. Able to drive the Delorean
    3. choose the EXACT date you time travel to
    *4. reference to other telltale games
    5. see yourself if you go back in time (like BTTF 2)
    6. new episodes and episodes based on the movies
    7. play as either Doc, Marty, Clara (for girl players), Biff, Julles, or Verne
    8. Actors voices
    9. Be able to steal plutonium from the libians and they chase after you!
    10. have some side missions imbetween

*- You could ask Doc who Max was and he would say "hyperactive Rabbity thingy" and if you go far back enough in time, have dinosaurs like jurrasic park!
  • edited July 2010
    Free roam? Travel whenever?

No, no, no. Telltale games tell.. tales. Stories. Original stories.

It's not a GTA type thing.

From your poll, Actors Voices is a possible option, as is seeing yourself in another timezone.

The rest though... not gonna happen, thankfully.
  • Sinaz20Sinaz20 Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2010
    This poll, except for the voice acting, is like a feature set for a Rockstar BttF game.

I think its neat to say "free roaming" and "time travel to when/where ever"... but in the end, features like that detract from a solid driving story... not to mention that planning for non-linear gameplay/narrative in a fixed time is hard enough-- but to account for altering the future with total freedom... NIGHTMARE!

Think about what it would take to test such a game for QA. Think about the permutations of sets, characters, and dialog we'd have to create.

I appreciate that you want to garner interest in the game for us, and you want to express what kind of game you (think?) you want to play... but it would be better if a feature poll were written within the scope of what TellTale as a company produces. Otherwise, maybe label the poll "fantasy features of the ultimate BttF sandbox!"

Things we are working really hard at are things like making character models and animations that we feel will satisfy our fans. -And- spectacular set dressing for a few key locations to explore through a few key eras. -And- writing a great story from exposition to cliffhanger to denouement - while providing compelling puzzles. All this is hard enough to get you a game by winter.

You have to realize that we aren't Bungee with a team of 75 producers/artists/engineers/writers/testers to throw at one single project for 18 months.
  • edited July 2010
    I agree, It would be nice to travel to and whenever! But I think tell tale will follow the story line in the movie and you do missions with maybe a lil free roam like in the town of hill valley and do some type of puzzle or problem solve to move on, kinda like in tales of monkey, but not to cartoony i hope lol. I am sure all fans of the movie would love if tell tale put The town of hill valley, The clocktower and The delorean in the game with maybe some or all free roam to look around in the town of hill valley! This game could give tell tale a even bigger fan base! Its not like when tell tale starts on jurassic park they arent going to have dinos in it, whats back to the future with out the delorean or the clock tower.
  • edited July 2010
    yeah. I also agree. It needs to be almost exactally like the movies, but it should have a feature that says free roam, or something like that. So then it would be just like the GTA mods, but still have all of the stories put into it.
  • edited July 2010
    I think the logistics of being able to travel wherever you want would disappoint. It's not like they're going to build levels for every single year.

Also, I agree with what jp-30 said - Telltale tell tales.
  • Sinaz20Sinaz20 Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2010
    ajvgames wrote: »
    yeah. I also agree. It needs to be almost exactally like the movies, but it should have a feature that says free roam, or something like that. So then it would be just like the GTA mods, but still have all of the stories put into it.

:(

Again, it's not like we have a magical feature engine. We can't just turn on "free roam mode" and expect all the fourth wall set pieces to be there. We have to build them -- all the locations and their permutations through time. Trying to build all of Hill Valley goes waaaaayyyy beyond the scope of our games.
  • edited July 2010
    Or just make the game and don't worry about it.
  • edited July 2010
    Atleast there will be a hill valley and hopefully a clock tower : D
  • edited July 2010
    3rd person action sandbox game. Using the Hover board (in 2015) or the DeLorean Time machine (when traveling between different time periods) to get around.

If you make this, Telltale, then I'd buy it. But NO POINT AND CLICK ADVENTURE GAME. The series wouldn't be appropriate for a Point and click adventure game. Also, see if they can reprise Michael J Fox's role as Marty, and Christopher Lloyd as Dr. Brown.

Wouldn't that be better?
  • edited July 2010
    bttf1985cc wrote: »
    3rd person action sandbox game. Using the Hover board (in 2015) or the DeLorean Time machine (when traveling between different time periods) to get around.

If you make this, Telltale, then I'd buy it. But NO POINT AND CLICK ADVENTURE GAME. The series wouldn't be appropriate for a Point and click adventure game. Also, see if they can reprise Michael J Fox's role as Marty, and Christopher Lloyd as Dr. Brown.

Wouldn't that be better?

Sounds awful to me, but I'm sure there would be a lot of people who disagree with me. I do agree about the voice acting though. If they're not able to get the origional cast, it's important to find people who can emulate there voices well enough.
  • edited July 2010

Wouldn't that be better?

Ain't gonna happen as that is not what Telltale do. Also, it's very annoying reading the exact same thing in three different threads.
  • edited July 2010
    Im starting to think that back to the future should not be made into a game, espically a episodic adventure point and click game, lol I mean come on now, The last bttf game didnt do well at all, so what makes you think that making it into a episodic adventure PONT AND CLICK game is going to be any better? I am saying Point and click cause that is what TT makes.
  • edited July 2010
    Actually, they do more direct control these days than 'point and click'. And I don't really understand what a 20 year old game has to do with the success of this one.

We all know you want a free roam type game. That's not going to happen from Telltale Games, so perhaps this simply isn't the game for you.
  • edited July 2010
    If it is a POINT AND CLICK, then no this wouldnt be the game for me. I am a HUGE bttf fan and would buy the game if it was a hit and got good reviews! I like to play games like COD MW2,GOW,warhawk, ect. I remember a petition that someone started a few years ago to have a bttf game made by, I think it was rockstar? I think lego should make a bttf game, now that would be fun!
  • edited July 2010
    I think lego should make a bttf game, now that would be fun!

I agree, although we'd have to see Lego BttF minikits before we even have a chance of seeing a Lego BttF videogame.
  • edited July 2010
    http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/92250

1232387633m_SPLASH.jpg

3947262423_17ce9813a0.jpg
  • edited July 2010
    Fan-built kits don't count. :P
  • edited July 2010
    I agree!
  • edited July 2010
    OMFG, LEGO bttf :D i think im in shock, how epic. I could seriously picture lego BTTF games.

Well hopefully Telltale wont make BTTF, if they can see it doesnt work, i must admit i myself cant reallty picture straight up point and click for BTTF:

I really wanna drive a car and travel in time, yeah we cant do all times, but atleast when the series are over, combine the game into one, and allow us to travel to the times that where in all the episodes, in some freemode, that could be kinda fun :)
  • edited July 2010
    RMJ1984 wrote: »
    OMFG, LEGO bttf :D i think im in shock, how epic. I could seriously picture lego BTTF games.

Well hopefully Telltale wont make BTTF, if they can see it doesnt work, i must admit i myself cant reallty picture straight up point and click for BTTF:

I really wanna drive a car and travel in time, yeah we cant do all times, but atleast when the series are over, combine the game into one, and allow us to travel to the times that where in all the episodes, in some freemode, that could be kinda fun :)

Thank you very much, I agree with you 100% and been trying to say this the whole time lol. Some people on here not going to say names... You know who you are tho lol. Think other wise and dont know anything about the BTTF movie and what true BTTF fans want. Lego should definatly make the BTTF game and not TT, LoL they think oohhh lets make another monkey island type of game and call it back to the future point and click lol. I also noticed on any or all polls they have no option to select for point and click lol
  • edited July 2010
    Everybody posting in this section of the forum is a Back to the Future fan. Most of us are also adventure game fans, because, well, these are the Telltale forums, and those are the sorts of games that Telltale makes. It's not possible to create a game that will appeal to everyone, because different people like different types of games. Somebody's going to end up disappointed no matter what.
  • edited July 2010
    Everybody posting in this section of the forum is a Back to the Future fan. Most of us are also adventure game fans, because, well, these are the Telltale forums, and those are the sorts of games that Telltale makes. It's not possible to create a game that will appeal to everyone, because different people like different types of games. Somebody's going to end up disappointed no matter what.

Yes your right about everyone that is a bttf fan posting in the, BACK TO THE FUTURE FORUM, and I know these are TT forums and most of you enjoy the point and click games.bttf fans were asked by TT for our opinion hence why they started a BTTF forum lol. I dont want a point and click game made into a BTTF game, The true fans agree with me, but, others like (TT fans already) dont want that type of game and enjoy the point and click. So to sum it all up yeah alot of people will be disappointed in the long run, Not so much the bttf fans tho cause we have alot of talented people that have and are working on a new bttf game where it will only be the map of hill valley and no gta! Just all sweet, sweet, Hill valley!
  • edited July 2010
    Sinaz20 wrote: »
    Things we are working really hard at are things like making character models and animations that we feel will satisfy our fans. -And- spectacular set dressing for a few key locations to explore through a few key eras. -And- writing a great story from exposition to cliffhanger to denouement - while providing compelling puzzles. All this is hard enough to get you a game by winter.

I really wasn't sure what to expect when I heard the Back to the Future/Jurassic Park news...
    but now I do, and I couldn't be more excited!

When can I preorder :)
  • edited July 2010
    Yes your right about everyone that is a bttf fan posting in the, BACK TO THE FUTURE FORUM, and I know these are TT forums and most of you enjoy the point and click games.bttf fans were asked by TT for our opinion hence why they started a BTTF forum lol. I dont want a point and click game made into a BTTF game, The true fans agree with me, but, others like (TT fans already) dont want that type of game and enjoy the point and click. So to sum it all up yeah alot of people will be disappointed in the long run, Not so much the bttf fans tho cause we have alot of talented people that have and are working on a new bttf game where it will only be the map of hill valley and no gta! Just all sweet, sweet, Hill valley!

Soooo to recap what you just said:
    Your opinion is the only true and allmighty opinion of a TRUE FAN. And anybody who thinks otherwise is not, can not and will never ever be a true "Back to the future" fan.
    Daaaaaaaamn :(
  • edited July 2010
    Katsuro wrote: »
    Your opinion is the only true and allmighty opinion of a TRUE FAN. And anybody who thinks otherwise is not, can not and will never ever be a true "Back to the future" fan.

I agree.

Plus, before you signed onto the forums, didn't you notice the big section called "Games"? It shows all the games, and all (but Texas Hold'em) are point and click. Try doing that next time before you come on the forums and ask for a BTTF sandbox game.
  • edited July 2010
    The community who's been saying that there should be free-roam and endless time travel is too accustomed to the BTTF:HV GTA mod that came out of the BTTF.com forums in 2002. Every feature listed in the poll is in it (or will be, except for the original cast). They want to see what they already can get -unofficially- from a mod, in a full, official game. I ask "Why?"... There's already something like that on the Web, you should be looking for new material and new experiences that may be way more fun -and canon-, new posibilities of gameplay and fresh material with the approval stamp of its original creator.

Me, being part of the team developing the BTTF:HV mod and a BTTF fan -or so I say :p-, approve any other type of gameplay that doesn't resemble GTA:VC -or any other sandbox 3D game- and I'm positive that TellTale Games will find how to make it enjoyable.
  • edited July 2010
    Plus, if it would be a "GTA-Style" game, what missions would there be? Honestly, (sorry If I'm wrong as I never really watched the movies) a whole movie wraps around one plot, and that is perfectly ok for episodic games, as you can have one plot per episode (with some conjunctions/cliffhangers connecting them), but would you honestly want a ton of missions? And seriously, is there really that much you'll do in Hill Valley that will be related to the story and/or will be required?
  • edited July 2010
    Katsuro wrote: »

Yeh, apparently you have to like the Hill Valley mod to be a “true” fan. And all this time, I thought you had to have a really big appreciation for this fantastic film franchise.

Despite what anyone considers to be a true fan, I still think it’s important for everyone to voice their opinions on what they would like from this game. That way Telltale can hopefully cater to all our Back To The Future needs.

I AM a true fan, Fact!
  • edited July 2010
    Carlos85G wrote: »
    The community who's been saying that there should be free-roam and endless time travel is too accustomed to the BTTF:HV GTA mod that came out of the BTTF.com forums in 2002. Every feature listed in the poll is in it (or will be, except for the original cast). They want to see what they already can get -unofficially- in a full, official game. I ask "Why?"... There's already something like that on the Web, you should be looking for new material and new experiences that may be way more fun -and canon-, new posibilities of gameplay and fresh material with the approval stamp of its original creator.

Me, being part of the team developing the BTTF:HV mod and a BTTF fan -or so I say :p-, approve any other type of gameplay that doesn't resemble GTA:VC -or any other sandbox 3D game- and I'm positive that TellTale Games will find how to make it enjoyable.
    DUde!!.I createted this poll and am interested in what goes on. Thank you for Commenting on this forum. I didn't know it would attract this much attention. I am a big fan of the BTTF HV mod, and I have to say, Telltale should follow your work. You have amazing things in your game, and it might be better than telltale. I Agree with the people that are true fans and have there own ideas for the game. LONG LIVE THE FANS!!!!!

PS. I know Carlos85G gets this question alot, but is has been a year since news.....
    When is 0.F coming out for BTTF:HV?
  • edited July 2010
    Thanks for the support and compliments, Bagrisham :D

I don't think they need to follow our work, they have more experience at making games than us and we're working with what we have. I don't want to compare any work being made by different circumstances because it's unfair and because this is not the place to do so. So, give TellTale a chance to amaze us ;).

I believe true fans, as stated before, are the ones that have real interest in the franchise itself and not in its delivery, I mean, I watched the animated series -regardless of all its faults- because I love BTTF.

About 0.2F... As always, it'll be released when it's done. Want news about the progress and release? Check our site. I won't put the link because I'm not here to advertise. Googling the mod's name will get you there.

Anyway, we already know how the features listed in your poll work for a game with the BTTF trilogy elements, let's see what else can be used to tell a new story.
  • edited July 2010
    I think it's fine to put the link to your BTTF mod site in your sig.
  • edited July 2010
    I will. Thanks, jp-30.
  • edited July 2010
    Carlos85G wrote: »
    BLARGH BLARGH BLARTFJKHD FOO ASDF

HERETIC! POSER! JUDAS! Everyone knows that bttf1985cc speaks for the REAL fans, because he makes preposterous claims about arbitrary preferences of a heterogenous group. No one would dare be that audacious if they hadn't conducted some extensive polling of a core sample of registered Back to the Future fans. You're obviously an INTERLOPER! FIFTH COLUMN! Go be a traitor somewhere else, traitor.
  • edited July 2010
    If they can get Fox & Lloyd to do the voice-overs ... just those two ... it'd be epic. They ARE still both very much alive & vocularly able to do that much. :-)
  • edited July 2010
    BoneFreak wrote: »
    I agree.

Plus, before you signed onto the forums, didn't you notice the big section called "Games"? It shows all the games, and all (but Texas Hold'em) are point and click. Try doing that next time before you come on the forums and ask for a BTTF sandbox game.

lol wow all the games but...1... lol you must have been happy to comment on that for the correction and you seem very pround of all the point and click game lol... congrats 2 u my TT friend. I must say this is a highlight of my morning so far, this guy trying to put me in my place, GOML dude
  • edited July 2010
    I must say this is a highlight of my morning so far, this guy trying to put me in my place, GOML dude

Where is he trying putting you? Where do you feel you belong?
  • edited August 2010
    By a minor 1 game correction, read threw it bro. what u talking about belong and where i feel? confused????
  • edited August 2010
    Hey bttf1985cc,

All that people are trying to tell you is that Telltale make damn fine adventure games in the LucasArts tradition. If you are not sure of what that is or means you only need to check out classics like Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis or Grim Fandango to get an idea for what great storytelling and puzzle solving that entails. It was a game genre that was very popular and successful in the past and has recently been revived by Telltale, more successfully I believe than any other small company.

So with this in mind, most of us on these forums have some idea what to expect the game will ultimately be like, because we like the possibilities inherent in adventure games believe it or not. You are only setting yourself up for a major disappointment upon release if you are hoping for something that is lightyears away from what Telltale are great at...story, character, humour, and situations where you need to use your brain to solve problems and think through "heavy" scenarios.

Play some true adventure games and you will have an idea of what to expect.

By the way, Red Dead Redemption is a pretty amazing game if you want free roam. I just got drunk in Escalera, the joys!

Take care,

CaptainJack
  • edited August 2010
    I'm a huge BTTF fan and BTTF deserves a good game. I hope that the graphics are on part with their CSI games, not Sam and Max which I think is made that way for Sam and Max and is very cool too.

I just really hope they capture the feel of the game, and as much as we all wish for a free roam adventure cuz we've always wanted to be in that Deloreon too, maybe with success of a really amazing story that blows you away and captures the feeling of traveling through time when it is appropriate in the story will make this very successful, espescially with a CSI-like Doc Brown and Marty would be so awesome. I really hope they go all out on this game and if not free roam then amazing graphics throughout the story and no 2d side scrolling jumpin for objects or anything like that lol.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.