Hot Hawks Bug?

The second time i visited the diner i tried solving the Hot Hawks puzzle coming up with this configuration.....(see attached file). When i submitted it i got the Reject verdict along with this weird comment : "There is only ONE right way tie up this shipment".....
If this is not a bug then i must admit its a really good (albeit frustrating) sample of Telltale's humor.

Comments

• edited July 2010
    why is this picture so small?

Also your answer is way off. you have a bird that can carry 4 gnomes carrying 3, and a bird that can carry 2 gnomes is only carrying one. Even though this isn't mentioned in the puzzle (there has been enough talk about that), you cannot have a bird carrying less than its max capacity, unless it's not carrying anything. The real answer to this puzzle involves leaving one bird (or two? I'm not sure) "empty-handed".
  • edited July 2010
    Yes, that's an unclarity in the rules. See also this topic on the hints subforum. Apparently the following two additional rules apply:
    1. A bird must either be fully loaded or completely unused.
    2. You may tie only one rope to each leg (though you can tie multiple ropes to each bag).
    Your solution violates the first rule.
  • edited August 2010
    Ab1Normal wrote: »
    The second time i visited the diner i tried solving the Hot Hawks puzzle coming up with this configuration.....(see attached file). When i submitted it i got the Reject verdict along with this weird comment : "There is only ONE right way tie up this shipment".....
    If this is not a bug then i must admit its a really good (albeit frustrating) sample of Telltale's humor.

I can tell you what's wrong. The blue birds can carry one gnome in each leg. You have the far left one carrying one gnome altogether, which is wrong, it should be 2. Also the duck is carrying three not four, and the blue bird on the far right is not used even tho it looks like it should fit, it just messed up the rest of the puzzle, my walkthrough on youtube shows it. I'm youtube.com/murray19831983 the bird puzzles are in part 5
  • edited August 2010
    NeatNit wrote: »
    Even though this isn't mentioned in the puzzle (there has been enough talk about that), you cannot have a bird carrying less than its max capacity, unless it's not carrying anything.

That's not good puzzle design at all! If the solution isn't marked as correct unless you obey said condition, then the condition should be mentioned in the effing puzzle! One possible idea might have been to say "use as few birds as possible", just like in the Bugs in Boxes puzzles where you have to use as few boxes as possible (which I came to like, by the way, once I realized that "each green bug needs three spaces" means that each rectangle containing green bugs has an area of 3*[bugs] spaces, and not just 3 spaces). I dunno -- anything but keeping the rule a secret and giving the solver no reason to suspect it's even there!

Puzzle design like this makes me sad. :(
Sign in to comment in this discussion.