So, anyone else surprised that TTG got beaten to the punch here?

2»

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Superior marketplace!

Just curious, but in what way is it superior? I've used both and easily favor PSN Store simply because they don't use a ridiculous currency system.
  • edited August 2010
    For one, (ignoring the 360s much larger and better selection of content) the organization to finding any said piece of software has been better. On my PS3, it typically took much longer to sift through the product line than all the organization options I have on my Xbox 360. Nowadays, they've made improvements to that, but I think they buried the easier-to-access organization methods in Live behind other menus.

If you get and download any software on the 360, it downloads quickly and the moment it downloads, you can run it right away. On the PS3, you spend just as much if not longer to download the software (for the same file size). (And it's always taken longer on my PS3 for the same file size) but you aren't done. Afterwards, you got to click the item and wait for it to install everything and then you can play it.

For me, I do fine both systems are ok. But the online experience is not even a contest. With 360, everything is integrated to a continuous online experience. On the PS3, the online experience is separated by app. It's like you have one type of online connectivity while you're on the PS3 dashboard, which is separate from any one single app, which has it's own connectivity, which is unlike another app. It's like a frankenstein patch job of connect protocols that surprisingly isn't a total trainwreck.

Then I've had my share of issues from downloads that fail partially while downloading on the PS3, though it's been getting better lately. It's painful given how long these downloads seem to take.

The Voice Chat experience is also horrible on the PS3. I swear, I've had more issues with just the regular chat with one person, than to chat with the same person in Party Chat (plus a few others) on XBL. And this test is for the same two people, both with both systems, from the same houses, using the same Wi-fi communication to communicate.

Many of these can be fixed with patches and system updates (the ones that supposedly add or improve features instead of concentrating on how to remove features). Though I still think PSN should really think on how to redesign their network to allow better simultaneous streams, which currently cripples their capabilities compare to the competition.

Best part, though. All the important online features for PS3 is free. And if SONY truly steps up their game with Good and useful system updates, they could potentially trip Live up right at the right time. Bad part is nobody ever seems to buy a mic for the system and expect you to reach for a keyboard while you're playing a high speed competitive tactical action game that uses 2 hands constantly. Even PC users wouldn't restrict themselves to that.
  • edited August 2010
    The reason Sony downloads take longer and you need to install them is because of their encryption. They don't want anyone to easily be able to hack PSN games (like you can with the XBL) so they encrypt them to make it harder for people.

And PS3's market place is very easy to use.
    Also, I see no point in complaining about XBL VS PSN's connection. This is because both are basically servers that point you to other servers that do nothing but put up local matches. Yes, I've had lag with PSN. I've also had lag with XBL because both put on local hosted. Like SFIV. When you connect, you're connecting to the SF4 connection server then when you're in a fight it's just a local hosted match. You or the other person are hosting and there's no severs. Same goes for when I play BlazBlue. Some games do have actual servers, and then it depends on the server load. Like I've seen some Laggy MAG matches and some no lag what so ever. For XBL, other then Phantasy Star or other MMO's I don't know what uses servers. I think Halo did, and I remember some very laggy Halo matches and some non-laggy ones.

But the point is, with XBL you're paying to have local hosted matches. Yes you do get better connection (in Amurica and some European countries) this is because more people use the Xbox thant he PS3. So you're more then likely to be matched with someone, to a party, with people near you. If the PS3 had just as many users you'd see the same exact ratio of bad connections to good ones. Like my brother in law's Xbox always lagged with his games. I'd go and play the same games on my PS3 and get no lag, he'd ask why and I explained this to him. It all depends on who's playing in your area at the time, basically.

Also as someone who uses the voice chat often I've never had a problem. I'd had some people with shitty mics try to speak, and it sounds bad, or people ruin it with the voice equilizer, but nothing bad. My mic sounds great going through and it's a $20 PS2 mic. I've had conversations with rooms full of people during BB matches, and Resistance. Along with Fat Princess and Lord of the Rings Conquest. Then again, I've had bad mic times with all those games aswell. XBL has the advantage of having a standard for mics. So, everyone has to have the same mic so everyone sounds the same (and Mircrosoft makes more money). Sony lets you choose your mic. Some people cheap out and get what they pay for, some don't. Like my friend just uses his Beatles RB mic to talk online to me with PC games and PS3. Sounds amazing due to it.
  • edited August 2010
    Thus why I compared the connection quality to the same exact people. I wasn't using a test against different users. Just ones that are on my friends list for both PS3 and Xbox360, with both units in the same houses, using the same connections.
  • edited August 2010
    I've honestly never had trouble with my PSN connection, in the many hours of Resistance 1 and 2 I've played online, nor the voice chat when I played Resident Evil 5 co-op online with several different friends in several different states. I have literally never had an experience where I've lagged to the point of it being unplayable on PS3. I have, however, had HUNDREDS of matches of both Halo 2 and 3 that were quite literally unplayable due to the sheer lag. (Kind of hard to shoot people when they're lagporting around every other second :p)
  • edited August 2010
    Weird, could be a system screw up or something, I know some PS3's didn't have good wireless cards. Also, when you run so manythings going on the internet at once some get more bandwith than the others, so it causes lag. Like my brother and I whenplaying TF2 or L4D on PC. I get a better ping them him always. I'll be at like 23 he'll be at like 79. He's just a room away from me and the broadband point is in his room, not mine. And no, I don't run my internet through the cable plug-ins as most don't either, actually. I use digital cable so it has to run through a modem now, as do a lot of people with the internet. (this is to debate who said internet port next to TV) I barely see anyone still use old cable or DSL systems.
  • edited August 2010
    Elvenmonk wrote: »
    And no, I don't run my internet through the cable plug-ins as most don't either, actually. I use digital cable so it has to run through a modem now, as do a lot of people with the internet. (this is to debate who said internet port next to TV) I barely see anyone still use old cable or DSL systems.

Not to mention most people don't have their desktop PC in the same room as their TV, and would rather put the modem/router near their PC rather than buy and install a wireless card.
  • edited August 2010
    That too. How my brother is. Modem's in his room so I need to go wireless.
  • edited August 2010
    The reason XBL is better than PSN from a technical objective standpoint is because MS runs their own servers, whereas the PSN is really an amalgamation of crappy servers that either Sony charges companies to use or third party servers provided by the companies that are either good or crap depending on the company (and if Infinity Ward is having trouble with third-party servers than it really is an issue.) Not to mention PSN servers are constantly going down to issues and for updates, whereas XBL went down once to add those 3d avatars.
  • edited August 2010
    The PSN logon service goes down for major overhauls to fix servers. And? The fact they fix servers is good. If a server is buggy MS turns it off. Also, there's no difference in the PSN and XBL servers. If a game uses a 3rd party server on PS3 it uses one on Xbox. Only MS or Sony made games get their servers often. And Sony's official game servers I've never had a problem with.
  • edited August 2010
    Good news everyone! As of November, Xbox Live Gold now costs $59.99 a year! Yeah! Go Microsoft!
  • edited August 2010
    Also the new Xbox controllers with a better D-Pad and rechargable batteries! WITH AN INCREASED COST!
  • edited September 2010
    Eh, I don't mind having to buy points cards when there's actually good stuff to buy.

Also: name one thing the 360 has that the PS3 doesn't? Exclusives.

I mean, gripe about the consoles themselves all you want. Sony and Microsoft are both evil and both want your money. Live is more secure and I feel is worth the money, PSN has the PSN+ thing. But when I choose my console, I look at games that only that game console has and the 360 wins in that respect (for me at least).

Trials HD, Alan Wake, Crackdown 1&2, Dead Rising, Dead Rising 2: Case Zero (which I just got done with and was great), Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, Fable II (soon Fable III), the GTA Expansions until TFLC came out, Gears of War, Halo, Left 4 Dead 1 & 2, Mass Effect, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Geometry Wars.

All those are exclusives off the top of my head and I feel that they're in greater number and better quality overall than PS3 exclusives. Not having a PS3, I have never regretted it. Games like Mass Effect, though, if I was unable to play them, I would be upset and buy a 360, personally.
  • edited September 2010
    Also, when I get a 360 game I don't have to sit through a fifteen minute install process. Which prevents my impatience from breaking consoles.
  • edited September 2010
    Also: name one thing the 360 has that the PS3 doesn't? Exclusives.

Trials HD, Alan Wake, Crackdown 1&2, Dead Rising, Dead Rising 2: Case Zero (which I just got done with and was great), Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, Fable II (soon Fable III), the GTA Expansions until TFLC came out, Gears of War, Halo, Left 4 Dead 1 & 2, Mass Effect, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Geometry Wars.

Resistance 1, 2 and 3, Killzone 2 and 3, Uncharted 1 and 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, God of War III, Heavenly Sword, 3 Ratchet and Clank games, Heavy Rain, Infamous 1 and 2, SOCOM 4, Gran Turismo 5, MAG, LittleBigPlanet 1 and 2, Echochrome 1 and 2, Demon's Souls...

Not to mention that more than half of the games you listed have PC versions also whereas almost none of the games I listed have any other version whatsoever, excluding a couple that have PSP versions.

Saying PS3 doesn't have any exclusives worth playing compared to 360 is an outright lie.
  • edited September 2010
    If I wanted to play games on a PC, I would get a PC, not a console. I'm talking exclusively to console here. And out of those exclusives you mentioned, the only ones that stand out to me are Uncharted and MGS. I've played all the others at my brother's house and they weren't worth paying for the system. I'm not saying the PS3 isn't a fine system, I'm not saying it doesn't have any exclusives, I'm just saying that I think the 360 has more exclusives and generally higher-quality exclusives than the PS3. And besides, if we were judging these systems by exclusives, then we'd have to consider the Wii as the best of the gen by far.

Also, I have one question. What's the difference in buying 1600 Microsoft points ($20) at a store and a $20 PSN card at a store? In order to use them all, you have to use the exact amounts. Basically what I'm saying is that for a customer without a credit card, PSN money works exactly like Microsoft Points.
  • edited September 2010
    Also, I have one question. What's the difference in buying 1600 Microsoft points ($20) at a store and a $20 PSN card at a store? In order to use them all, you have to use the exact amounts. Basically what I'm saying is that for a customer without a credit card, PSN money works exactly like Microsoft Points.

I don't think that was the argument. At least the option is there for PSN users to buy the precise amount they want. I only have a 360 and PC(sold the Wii recently thank god), so when there's a 560 point DLC that I want, I have to buy a stupid 800 point card no matter what. Then you have leftover cash you didn't want to spend that's stuck in disney dollar form that you can either hold onto for a while or waste on completely stupid crap like avatar clothing.

This thread also reminded me I need to stock up on two year long subscription cards because of the damn price increase.

Now if I actually had a PS3 I'm sure I'd have plenty to complain about there as well, but at the end of the day it seems to always come down to the fact that PSN does work, and it's completely free. And that's appealing to a consumer like me, because whenever I think about this, it's like having 6+ extra arcade games to play for a year...but no, it has to go towards just being able to play online. And it's still peer 2 peer gaming online, no servers. So paying a fee just to support the content servers while not getting any actual GAME servers is not sexy my friends. Not sexy at all.
  • edited September 2010
    Resistance 1, 2 and 3, Killzone 2 and 3, Uncharted 1 and 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, God of War III, Heavenly Sword, 3 Ratchet and Clank games, Heavy Rain, Infamous 1 and 2, SOCOM 4, Gran Turismo 5, MAG, LittleBigPlanet 1 and 2, Echochrome 1 and 2, Demon's Souls...

Not to mention that more than half of the games you listed have PC versions also whereas almost none of the games I listed have any other version whatsoever, excluding a couple that have PSP versions.

Saying PS3 doesn't have any exclusives worth playing compared to 360 is an outright lie.

Plus Atlus announced Persona 5 will be PS3 only.
  • edited September 2010
    I dunno. Basically what I'm saying about the PSN is that for one thing, when you buy a 19.99 PSN card (a physical card), you can get 19.99 worth of stuff. If, however, you want to buy two 9.99 games or a 9.99 game and a 4.99 game, then you have .01 left over. So unless you buy a 19.99 item, EVERY time someone buys a 19.99 card, Sony gets that extra penny that won't be spent. I bet if you totalled that up, that number would come pretty close to the amount of Microsoft banana dollars that are just rotting somewhere. Probably not as much, but pretty close. It seems a much stealthier way of being evil, but still being evil, nonetheless.

Unless of course I'm wrong about the PSN pricing scheme. In that case, whoops. :P
  • edited September 2010
    I dunno. Basically what I'm saying about the PSN is that for one thing, when you buy a 19.99 PSN card (a physical card), you can get 19.99 worth of stuff. If, however, you want to buy two 9.99 games or a 9.99 game and a 4.99 game, then you have .01 left over. So unless you buy a 19.99 item, EVERY time someone buys a 19.99 card, Sony gets that extra penny that won't be spent. I bet if you totalled that up, that number would come pretty close to the amount of Microsoft banana dollars that are just rotting somewhere. Probably not as much, but pretty close. It seems a much stealthier way of being evil, but still being evil, nonetheless.

Unless of course I'm wrong about the PSN pricing scheme. In that case, whoops. :P

If you use a credit card on PSN, it deducts exactly the amount you need for whatever you're purchasing, whereas you are REQUIRED to buy in pre-determined chunks on XBL.
  • edited September 2010
    jweir wrote: »
    I'll never see that game as long as it's PS3 exclusive as I refuse to buy a PS3. Sony has their hands right in their customer's wallets and doesn't let go. The console is more than other consoles, the games are more than other games, and considering the economy, I'm surprised they can stay in business. Alas, I'm digressing, no I haven't and probably never will play this game.

I agree, xbox 360 rules! I really hate it when the PS3 gets exclusive content because I love my games and I want to enjoy everything a game offers, but when the PS3 gets a whole new extra story(e.g. Mafia 2), it makes me annoyed.:mad: But who cares let them have their bonus content, they think that making exclusive content for games that are also released on the xbox and PC will get them more sells, but it doesn't work!
  • edited September 2010
    I was not very impressed by Blue toad...whereas playing telltale games on the ps3 is great. Very nice HD for Sam and Max (don't think I noticed much of a difference on Monkey island - still to try the remakes) :)

I don't know if puzzle agent should ever make a similar sort of transfer though...
  • edited September 2010
    I agree, xbox 360 rules! I really hate it when the PS3 gets exclusive content because I love my games and I want to enjoy everything a game offers, but when the PS3 gets a whole new extra story(e.g. Mafia 2), it makes me annoyed.:mad: But who cares let them have their bonus content, they think that making exclusive content for games that are also released on the xbox and PC will get them more sells, but it doesn't work!

Actually it does. And a reason behind is because if they did that on the 360 MS would force them to charge for the DLC or charge them out the ass to make it free. That's why TF2 isn't allowed to be updated on the 360.
    So it's win win for developers and Sony. Boost sales for the PS3 version and the game gets more sales since there's free content to come along with it.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.