Nike patents BttF2 Self-Lacing Shoe Concept!

edited November 2010 in Back to the Future
Lacing-System-Patent.jpg

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-08/nike-patents-mcfly-self-lacing-shoes-future

Looks like BttF may have got something else right about the future... kind of. :D

I'm so totally buying a pair whenever they actually make this.

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Either it will be a great shoe and Nike will make a lot of money, or it will flunk completely and they'll lose a ton.

...and I veer more towards the second ending.
  • edited August 2010
    Well... FINALLY.
  • edited August 2010
    If the Nike logo is lit up, I'm sold.
  • edited August 2010
    kinda cool,

OFFTOPIC!
    was researching us patents this morning and found this
    Sega Paten's a console
    recently btw
  • edited August 2010
    Recently-ish;
    Date
    Jul 21, 2006
  • edited August 2010
    final completion is at the top
    December 10, 2009
  • edited August 2010
    BoneFreak wrote: »
    Either it will be a great shoe and Nike will make a lot of money, or it will flunk completely and they'll lose a ton.

...and I veer more towards the second ending.

The only possible way they "lose a ton" is if the mass produce this thing. I doubt they do that, particularly with it being more of a novelty item than a practical one. They'll probably just do a limited run of the shoes and charge a buttload (that I will gladly pay).
  • edited August 2010
    i wonder are these guys shoes or unisex?
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited August 2010
    Duh! Power laces for everyone!

Actually, why not reproduce the exact BTTF II design and put these on the market? I'd... probably... buy... them...
  • edited August 2010
    Actually, why not reproduce the exact BTTF II design and put these on the market? I'd... probably... buy... them...

I'm pretty sure that's the plan....
  • edited August 2010
    They're probably gonna cost a shitload of dough. Gotta see some reviews of them before making hasty purchase decisions :D
  • edited August 2010
    how is it self lacing , can you imagine putting AA battery's in them XD
  • edited August 2010
    Jenna wrote: »
    how is it self lacing , can you imagine putting AA battery's in them XD

Yeah it will need batteries >_>

It is self lacing since the laces get tightened by measurably fitting your feet.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2010
    Definitely read this thread title as "nike patents BTT2 self-loathing shoe concept."

Also, I'm fine with this as long as the commercials have someone say "power laces! far out!"
  • edited August 2010
    or as long as the commercial doesn't have a bunch of kids in it?
  • edited August 2010
    Falanca wrote: »
    Yeah it will need batteries >_>

It is self lacing since the laces get tightened by measurably fitting your feet.

According to what I've read, the shoes would have a docking station to recharge instead of having to pop in some AA's into your shoes every few days.

And ya, the laces to tie themselves, they just tighten like in the movie.
  • edited August 2010
    Would be pretty damn awesome, But again, we really need some better batteries or MAYBE JUST MAYBE, you know those watches than never needs new batteries because they recharge when you move your arm / wrist, the same here, if it would recharge power when you are just walking around.
  • edited August 2010
    Naturally, the system requires a power source, and the shoe will have an on-board battery. However, the patent reveals that Nike hasn't decided whether to go with a USB or a mini-USB port to charge the shoe.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38884033/ns/technology_and_science-innovation/
  • edited August 2010
    Duh! Power laces for everyone!

I dunno man. While BTTF nostalgia is pretty big, color-shifting hats aren't exactly flying off the shelves, and I think something as pricey as custom electric shoes would be even more of a hard sell.

edit: I guess I misspoke. Color-shifting hats are sold out all over the place. Glad I bought mine early.
    Bring on the power laces, the world is ready
  • edited August 2010
    Spykes wrote: »
    According to what I've read, the shoes would have a docking station to recharge instead of having to pop in some AA's into your shoes every few days.

And ya, the laces to tie themselves, they just tighten like in the movie.

so in other words a really heavy shoe, what happens if your late to work and your laces are dead

hahahahaha
  • edited November 2010
    Well I found this video where someone made their own "Self-Lacing" shoes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_Efr2TaEPo
  • edited November 2010
    And I found the shoes. And bough them! Check out my sig. :D

Sorry for flaunting =(
  • edited November 2010
    Where did you buy them at?
  • edited November 2010
    I bought them off this guy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuA7BaF4iH0

He happened to coincidentally sell his pair as I just started my quest to look for them. =)

You should look for Markpoon on the forums of www.tpf.com. He provides the basic Nike MAG model. The YT user(who on the forum is called Pittbull) then went further and implemented the lighting and improved other aspects to more closely match the real thing.

If you send him the shoes from Markpoon he'll put in the lighting for a price.
  • edited November 2010
    Origami wrote: »
    I bought them off this guy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuA7BaF4iH0

He happened to coincidentally sell his pair as I just started my quest to look for them. =)

You should look for Markpoon on the forums of www.tpf.com. He provides the basic Nike MAG model. The YT user(who on the forum is called Pittbull) then went further and implemented the lighting and improved other aspects to more closely match the real thing.

If you send him the shoes from Markpoon he'll put in the lighting for a price.

Ah, I see. I thought those were the actual ones Nike had patented. Don't get me wrong, those are still awesome, but I need to be saving up for the real Nike version if/when that ever is released.
  • edited November 2010
    ^
    Lol. I don't think it's going to happen though.
    Nike is just going along with the new hype surrounding BttF and its 25 year release.
    And if they do release it, I am scared they'll screw it up just like they did with the recently released Jordan's.

I really hope though that the Nike MAG's get an official release. I am a bit afraid for the price tag. But I'll too get them if they really have power laces. :D
  • edited November 2010
    I was reading through peoples comments on the pages thats showed the patents and some people made a good point, for people who cant do simple tasks that easily, either elderly or the disabled, self lacing shoes would actually be benefit, and even kids perhaps, seeing as the replacement for not lacing shoes is simply velcro, but you still have to reach down and pull them tight. so there may yet be some functionality to them outside the BTTF fanbase, for us fans it would be way cool, but to someone who could use it outside of that would be even better, and would help make them more widespread and used. or to a lesser extent there may just be lazy ppl out there who would like them, I myself keep my shoes laced all the time and just slip my feet in, so having these kick ass shoes where the same principle applies but they lace themselves would be wicked! besides the fact of being the ultimate fan item!
  • edited November 2010
    About damn time. DAMN damn time. have they no concept of time? :P
  • edited November 2010
    While part of me thinks "Oh yay, the human race needed another reason to be lazy", another part of me thinks "Well, Back to the Future 2 should at least predict ONE thing right."

"Power laces! All right!"
Sign in to comment in this discussion.