Sam and Max: Hit the Road - REMAKE?

edited January 2012 in Sam & Max
Now, we all remember that these past 2 years, Monkey Island and LeChuck's Revange, the 2 great Lucas Arts classics were remade in new and improved graphics, better music and voice acting.
Now that that's been settled, can we expect the same happening to the pride and joy of the world of our k9 cop and his rabitty-thing companion, that's is Hit the Road? quite honestly it's a pretty big candidate, especially considering that Devil's Playhouse is comming to an end and Telltale will have to think of something, until they decide to make the next Sam and Max season.

what do you guys think?

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Well, Lucasarts doesn't own the rights to Sam and Max and Telltale doesn't own the rights to Hit the Road, it's unlikely they would collaborate. Besides, why do you want a remake? The game already has great voice acting and graphics. A re-release would be a better option in my opinion.
  • edited August 2010
    Besides, why do you want a remake? The game already has great voice acting and graphics. A re-release would be a better option in my opinion.

Yea, I agree. Thats like Lucasarts making Curse of Monkey Island Special Edition... It dosen't need it.
  • edited August 2010
    I'm skeptical, since Hit the Road was already technically superior to SoMI and MI2:LR, to the point it already had its own voice acting.

Also there is that fact that Monkey Island is going with an ongoing story and every title adds something to it, whereas all Sam and Max titles have different "cases" in each game without any big "turn of events". All Sam and Max titles are, in the end, closed boxes by theirselves. How this would affect the appeal or the sale of it is that, Telltale topped Hit the Road. Hit the Road is not really that fun and revolutionary compared to Telltale series. It would just reside in The Devil's Playhouse's shadow, and wouldn't be able to get much sales in my opinion.
  • edited August 2010
    SlasherMan wrote: »
    Yea, I agree. Thats like Lucasarts making Curse of Monkey Island Special Edition... It dosen't need it.

it's just that, the graphics could be improved a bit and music, since it's still the SCUMM thing involved and I think the old game wouldn't run on PC systems these days, considering the game is 20 yrs old.
  • edited August 2010
    Jshadow wrote: »
    I think the old game wouldn't run on PC systems these days, considering the game is 20 yrs old.

Say that to the guys at SCUMMVM. And to the thousands of people who can still play it. And the 200X CD Re-Release.
  • edited August 2010
    Would be benificial to both companies. Im not sure if they keep voice recordings, Because then you would assume they could use them at higher quality, Just like how they can suddenly make a Blueray version of BTTF.

But would be very cool. Its easy to see that LucasArts learned something from Monkey 1 remake, it was okay and it was nice, But Monkey 2 remake was far more true to the original, and was overall better, it just had a feel closer to the original, also liked the Guy Brush better. That dude in Monkey 1 remake was silly looking xD
  • edited August 2010
    Of course HTR have great graphics and voice acting, but the inventory system is quite awful. I stopped playing it because it was really impractical. :(
  • edited August 2010
    I don't care how good or bad it is. I'm too young to have played it and totally missed the boat on that one, and I'd love to have a remake just so I could join in and know what the big deal was.
  • edited August 2010
    Player_2 wrote: »
    I don't care how good or bad it is. I'm too young to have played it and totally missed the boat on that one

I'm 17. I got mine on Amazon (or eBay, can't remember) for a few bucks. :p So you did not miss the boat.
  • edited August 2010
    Player_2 wrote: »
    I don't care how good or bad it is. I'm too young to have played it and totally missed the boat on that one, and I'd love to have a remake just so I could join in and know what the big deal was.

Which is why I suggested a re-release, so people who haven't played it could play it.
    Fazz wrote: »
    Of course HTR have great graphics and voice acting, but the inventory system is quite awful. I stopped playing it because it was really impractical. :(

I thought the inventory system was fine, the only problem I had was
    taking off the bigfoot costume
  • edited August 2010
    I think all of the Lucas adventures could do with remakes, Hit the Road and Curse of Monkey Island included, and especially Grim Fandango. Hopefully The two Monkey Island games sold enough that we'll see this happen for the more popular titles. Yes the later games look a lot better than Secret of Monkey Island but the fact is they weren't designed to be played on widescreen monitors with the high resolutions that are commonplace today.
  • edited August 2010
    Wah, I have to play my game in pixels and in a window, wah. :P
  • edited August 2010
    Timmeh2006 wrote: »
    I think all of the Lucas adventures could do with remakes, Hit the Road and Curse of Monkey Island included, and especially Grim Fandango. Hopefully The two Monkey Island games sold enough that we'll see this happen for the more popular titles. Yes the later games look a lot better than Secret of Monkey Island but the fact is they weren't designed to be played on widescreen monitors with the high resolutions that are commonplace today.

I would rather if they didn't remake Grim fandango- seriously. They should leave that alone.

As for Hit the Road; It's charming how it is and doesn't need a remake. It hasn't aged badly at ALL, so there's just no reason to.
  • edited August 2010
    Sam and max series is going to rock again. As the series of this show is going to be every one's favorite. Therefore we all will enjoy.
  • edited August 2010
    i hope they make one so i can play it
  • edited August 2010
    I don't think LucasArts will bother remaking anything that already has voice acting. Maniac Mansion deserves a stylish update and a little edit to fix the whole 'dying' issue...perhaps just including intelligent autosave points might help.
  • edited August 2010
    if it is good i will play it
  • edited August 2010
    i will try the demo
  • edited August 2010
    I've never played Hit the Road, but I'd love if they released it on Steam. No remake necessary.
  • edited August 2010
    girlycard wrote: »
    I would rather if they didn't remake Grim fandango- seriously. They should leave that alone.

Why do you feel that they should leave it alone? I'd much prefer support for modern hardware.

Given the choice between backgrounds, character models, animation and cutscenes that were created to be viewed in 640x480 on the hardware of 1998 and the same things updated to work on current hardware/Operating Systems I can't understand why anyone would choose the former.

I'd imagine it would be a significant amount of work to update Grim Fandango though, making it the least likely to be revived.
  • edited August 2010
    Remember, the voices were low quality, the music was MIDI, and the graphics were large and pixellated. I don't think they need to do the 3D style thing they did with Monkey Island, but maybe making it look a bit more like the comics. I'd definitely like to see it happen and I'd buy it if it did.
  • edited August 2010
    For some reason, I just think that were it to get an update you might lose the original voices. Remastered music and redrawn graphics would be awesome, but I'd just as soon grab a steam (or otherwise) re-release.
  • edited September 2010
    I wonder what Hit the Road would look like if the remake tried to make everything look like Steve Purcell drew it (basically if everything was remade to look like an animated version of his coloured comics).
  • edited September 2010
    Since when can you play hit the road on Win7 Without a some-kind-of emulator?

If i remember that game is for dos based systems... so a re-release would be awesome, no remake, no changes just a re-release
  • edited September 2010
    SlasherMan wrote: »

DOESNT NEED IT? excuse me while i play monkey island 2 in glorious hand drawn 1080p, and on my xbox. oh what? there's no reason to play curse of monkey island in high definition or on a mac or console, you're right. i guess i'll just settle for artifacts, sound glitches, and general low resolution with scummvm. so, do we make a special edition or at least a rerelease? sheer nonsense, the graphics don't need to be drawn again, duh. could the voice quality be improved? yes. could the resolution be increased, yes. SHOULD IT BE NATIVE TO MAC AND XBOX SO THAT EVERYONE WHOS NOW PLAYED 1&2 CAN PLAY THE FREAKING 3rd GAME. jeez of course it needs a special edition, or at least a rerelease that will bring this fantastic game to consoles and mac.
  • edited September 2010
    Mr Nutt wrote: »
    I wonder what Hit the Road would look like if the remake tried to make everything look like Steve Purcell drew it (basically if everything was remade to look like an animated version of his coloured comics).

This.

Instinctively, I agree that Hit the Road doesn't need a remake. Let's face it, as pretty as all the extras were for the Monkey Island remakes, the REAL reason anybody made and bought the games was so that they could hear Dominic Armato and company give voice to the characters. Hit the Road already has voices so it isn't crying out for a remake.

But then I imagine what an updated Hit the Road would look like with high definition graphics and redesigned characters that are true to Steve Purcell's art style and...yeah, I would absolutely buy the hell out of a game like that.

I honestly wouldn't even mind if they got David Nowlin and William Kasten to redo the voices. Farmer and Jameson were great in the original, but at this point Nowlin and Kasten have become the definitive Sam & Max voices in my mind.
  • edited October 2010
    A remake isn't necessary, but a re-release is a different story entirely. It is a shame that Sam and Max's first video game venture is so hard to legally find these days.

Tales of Monkey Island is proof Telltale and LucasArts are willing to work together. And I'm sure Steve Purcell would have no problem with a re-release.
  • edited October 2010
    A remake isn't necessary, but a re-release is a different story entirely. It is a shame that Sam and Max's first video game venture is so hard to legally find these days.

Tales of Monkey Island is proof Telltale and LucasArts are willing to work together. And I'm sure Steve Purcell would have no problem with a re-release.

what is the difference
  • edited October 2010
    The only hit the road se idea i can think of is a "telltale edition" where the game is remade with the voices of the sam and max characters in the telltale episodes(And the very many people that arent in the telltale episodes can get there old voices) along witht the graphics and gameplay being like the telltale episodes.
    Of course that is just an idea, and I may be the only one that would like to see that happen.
  • edited October 2010
    seibert999 wrote: »
    what is the difference

Remake means redoing the old game, giving it newer graphics, better voice acting, improved gameplay, etc. etc. etc. Rerelease means releasing it again, with no changes and everything the same as the original.

Since Hit the Road was pretty damn good on its own, it doesn't necessarily require a remake, but fans everywhere would LOVE a rerelease so they could play it again; especially people like me, who were too young for it the first time around and wish they could play it.
  • edited October 2010

The problem is, if Steve Purcell were okay with this, he'd have been okay with them putting Sam and Max in the Monkey Island Special Editions...mind you, the copyright removal stuff is really overdone, the worst examples being "ghost-busting stud" and "I feel pretty", especially as Guybrush says "I feel pretty" in Tales with no problems.
  • edited October 2010
    Teeth wrote: »
    The problem is, if Steve Purcell were okay with this, he'd have been okay with them putting Sam and Max in the Monkey Island Special Editions...mind you, the copyright removal stuff is really overdone, the worst examples being "ghost-busting stud" and "I feel pretty", especially as Guybrush says "I feel pretty" in Tales with no problems.

I believe that's because Steve Purcell has since given the gaming license for Sam and Max to Telltale. Unless he decides to retract the license (which, face it, he wouldn't do for the sake of a quick cameo in a different game), then nobody but Telltale is allowed to feature Sam and Max in a video game. I'm sure he wanted Sam and Max's cameos to stay intact in the special editions (given his involvement with Monkey Island and all), but it was out of his hands.

EDIT: I just remembered the Sam and Max items in Team Fortress 2. That kind of puts a hole in everything I just said. Did Steve give Valve permission to put those items in, or is Telltale allowed to temporarily loan the Sam and Max license to other companies without Steve's permission? I'm not a lawyer, so I'm kind of in the dark about this.
  • edited October 2010
    I believe that's because Steve Purcell has since given the gaming license for Sam and Max to Telltale. Unless he decides to retract the license (which, face it, he wouldn't do for the sake of a quick cameo in a different game), then nobody but Telltale is allowed to feature Sam and Max in a video game. I'm sure he wanted Sam and Max's cameos to stay intact in the special editions (given his involvement with Monkey Island and all), but it was out of his hands.

Steve Prcell Himself owns the rights and lets people use it each time they bussinesly ask. This is why he is smart.
  • edited February 2011
    Teeth wrote: »
    ...The problem is, if Steve Purcell were okay with this, he'd have been okay with them putting Sam and Max in the Monkey Island Special Editions...

Good news! I pretty sure I saw the Sam & Max costume in Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge Special Edition... make of that as you will.
  • edited February 2011
    Umm... nope? In MI2:SE S&M costume is covered by Purple Tentacle one.
  • edited February 2011
    It does show the Sam & Max costume if you switch it to classic mode, but in the normal mode it shows a purple tentacle costume. They did the same thing with that Sam & max statue in "The Secret of Monkey Island" and replaced it with a purple tentacle statue.
  • edited February 2011
    IIRC, I think I saw the Sam & Max costumes hide behind the tentacle costume in the Special Edition...
  • edited February 2011
    Yes and no. Max is replaced by Purple Tentacle. Sam is still behind him, but obscured so much you have to know to notice. Also, the Sam & Max-specific comment is made generic in the Special Edition.
  • edited February 2011
    HOW many times has this been brought up?? Cant people just enjoy the original of it?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.