Are there unanswered mysteries in this game? [SPOILERS]

I have heard that there are still a lot of unanswered mysteries? I don't get it. Why would there be any? The story seemed cut and dry.

A) The Erasure Factory was reopened, so the mission was a success.

B) The victim was "chosen" by the gnomes, and The Lodge locked him inside of the factory so that nobody would disturb him until the ritual was complete. Either the ritual was a success, and so the gnomes allowed for the FBI Agent to enter into the factory (as per the gnome' assistance to the FBI Agent during the last puzzle), or the ritual was interrupted by the FBI Agents, and the gnomes had to rush in to 'save' the victim.

Due to the screams heard at the end of the game, it was likely the victim was eaten, and the gnomes left no traces of the victim in question. The victim may have willingly agreed to become "chosen" by the gnomes: his only response to the FBI Agent was "Why?"

C) Due to the fact that local law enforcement is corrupt, none of the members of The Lodge will be arrested. With the possible exception of Gloria, who did assault a federal officer, and even then, it's unlikely.

So, that's it. Case closed. Game over. So I don't see why people would seem curious anymore about Scoggins, MN. I suppose people may still be worried about the gnomes, but a Gnome Genocide is out of the question, and that is truly the way to stop this incident from reoccuring. Even if the FBI deploys its infamous "Gnome Squad", the gnomes would more than likely be ready (see, the gnomes spitting out bullets the FBI Agent fired at).

I can understand the need for 'sequels', to turn this series into an X-Files-style show with a "Monster of the Episode" gimmick. But this story is over.

Comments

• JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2010
    I think the need for more comes from people wanting to know more about the hidden people, the cult that has built up around them in Scoggins, etc. The astronaut and Nelson's dream. You know. We wanted Puzzle Agent to leave things open in the bigger picture but to still be closed and complete within itself. Where people feel we landed on that seems to vary quite a lot, from your "case closed!" to people who feel like nothing happened at all in the story. I don't know if that means we did a good job or not, but I'm pretty happy with where the story and mood landed.

I think there is more to be told about Scoggins, if we wanted to, before going Monster Of The Week with it -- quite a lot of the "loose ends" people have with the story do have backstories and ... frontstories (?) written down here in the office. But what I like about the game is that, were it to be continued, it could hold quite a lot.
  • edited August 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    I think the need for more comes from people wanting to know more about the hidden people, the cult that has built up around them in Scoggins, etc. The astronaut and Nelson's dream. You know. We wanted Puzzle Agent to leave things open in the bigger picture but to still be closed and complete within itself. Where people feel we landed on that seems to vary quite a lot, from your "case closed!" to people who feel like nothing happened at all in the story. I don't know if that means we did a good job or not, but I'm pretty happy with where the story and mood landed.

I think there is more to be told about Scoggins, if we wanted to, before going Monster Of The Week with it -- quite a lot of the "loose ends" people have with the story do have backstories and ... frontstories (?) written down here in the office. But what I like about the game is that, were it to be continued, it could hold quite a lot.

So does that mean you guys aren't thinking about creating a full Season of this game? I hope not because it was very fun and way to short, a full season will ensure more results and better stories.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2010
    splash1 wrote: »
    So does that mean you guys aren't thinking about creating a full Season of this game? I hope not because it was very fun and way to short, a full season will ensure more results and better stories.

I can't speak either way to the continuation of Puzzle Agent, and could never until a game was announced or something! Sorry if I mislead in either direction.
  • edited August 2010
    I wouldn't be surprised if it is too early to tell for more. Not everybody has gotten their hands on the first puzzle agent yet, so I would imagine more data is required.
  • edited August 2010
    I'm just really bothered by all the loose ends. I mean, the astronaut in the beginning wrote down Scoggins, who we then realize is Isaac I... think? But then was that moment in space a dream or not? And really, what is the link between spacemen, Isaac and the Hidden People? Was that gnome that was in the window really a gnome brought to life (is that how they are created? If so then why does everyone say they're ancient?) And what about that Gnome black market salesman? Why was he even included in the story?

It's one thing to leave things open ended and mysterious, but it's another to have a bunch of things added to the story that wind up having no relevance whatsoever. I didn't even know it was the end of the game until the game cut to Nelson back in his office.

It's undeniable that Twin Peaks had some kind of impact on this story, and Twin Peaks had a lot of mysteries and an open-endedness to it (despite its complete abrupt ending), but Twin Peaks also never left anything completely open. You can have open endings so long as we have a few paths of logic to follow. "No Country For Old Men" is another great example. The ending is completely open, but there's many logical ways to interpret that ending. Puzzle Agent leaves us with too many loose ends and no clear train of logic to follow.

I like the game, a lot. I think it's right behind 8-bit is enough, Chariot of the Dogs and What's New Beelzebub in how much I like it but... I'm left with so many questions in my head, and the only way to get them out is with a bullet!! >_0
  • edited August 2010
    I'd prefer if we didn't go back to Scoggins right away. I really see this as an X-Files sort of series where there are plots and mysteries all over the place but no single plot has to be the main focus of every episode. I'd like to revisit Scoggins one day but not right away. I'd rather see some other interesting mysteries and then maybe in a random episode start it off as if it had nothing to do with Hidden People but then bring it to the forefront somewhere in the middle. That would be so cool.

Perhaps Nelson could become obsessed with the myth of the Hidden People after his ordeal and be like Mulder who was obsessed with finding aliens, but also that that's not all he does. Of course, that might be a little bit TOO much like X-Files.

I love mysteries.
  • edited August 2010
    The one thing that wasn't answered was:
    Did Nelson get any Hot Dish?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.