Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse: The City That Dares Not Sleep... Is here!

JakeJake Telltale Alumni
edited February 2011 in Sam & Max
This is the release thread. The old pre-release thread is here.

305_poster_final_small.jpg

Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse
The City That Dares Not Sleep

It's out!!

Download for PC
Download for Mac

When's it out?
It's out now!

Trailer!
Watch the City That Dares Not Sleep trailer at GameSpot, or in the Telltale Blog!

Where can I see art from the game?
The season-wide trailer and stuff is on the official site. You can see screenshots and a trailer for episode 5 there too.

I demand wallpapers!
Sure, here's a wallpaper for you!

I demand reviews!
Tabstis has helpfully started a thread consolidating all reviews! You can see a select few in the blog.

I DEMAND MARKETING TEXT! SELL ME!
Commence marketing: "An enormous, scaly, floppy-eared creature has put the city on high alert, and Sam assembles a crack team to stop him. To end the mayhem, they must venture … inside … the beast!

Featuring an all star cast of heroes and villains – you’ll be riveted to your seat with each thrilling twist, as you discover the crazed force that’s been orchestrating the madness. And you won’t want to miss the game’s truly shocking conclusion!"

So whoaaa we're all playing the finale now, yeah? What do you guys think?

Comments

• edited August 2010
    WOO-HOO! I'm at 95%!
  • edited August 2010
    Maxzilla or Maxthulhu?
  • edited August 2010
    Maxthulhu, cuz I edamacated myself sum good learnin.
  • edited August 2010
    Sweeet, now lets see how much I can play before I have to go to work.
    Thank you for what I'm sure will be a great game and my complaints about minor bugs shall be numorous and berligerant... or is that non existant and quite... I always get those two mixed up.
  • edited August 2010
    I got to the "halfway point", and I won't spoil anything, but... holy crap.
  • edited August 2010
    I got to the "halfway point", and I won't spoil anything, but... holy crap.

Agree, I just got there myself. THAT WAS...OMG
  • edited August 2010
    Any idea on what time (pst) the PS3 version will be available? As of now (8:16 pm), it doesn't appear in the PSnetwork Store, for me at least. Thanks!
  • edited August 2010
    Any idea on what time (pst) the PS3 version will be available? As of now (8:16 pm), it doesn't appear in the PSnetwork Store, for me at least. Thanks!

Tomorrow.
  • edited August 2010
    That's quite a bummer <sigh>. Thanks for the quick reply StLouisRibs.
  • edited August 2010
    caeska wrote: »
    Agree, I just got there myself. THAT WAS...OMG

Have to admit, I saw it coming, but I still loved how well they pulled it off.

Also, so THAT'S where Max keeps his stuff.
  • edited August 2010
    Nice episode, but either a bit shorter or easier than the previous episodes :p
  • edited August 2010
    Is the most recent copy of the game updated from what showed up on the games list a few hours before the official release? I've finished it and did notice a few bugs here and there. I had assumed that was why it hadn't been officially released yet.
  • edited August 2010
    That was simply astounding. Bravo to Telltale and all involved. Bravo.
  • edited August 2010
    Wow. Very much wow.

I never expected a Sam & Max game to pull on my heartstrings, but this ending was amazing and completely unexpected. Very jarring too, as I went through the last sequence twice just to see if I had missed anything - I actually tried to find an alternate ending!

The episode itself was very well-designed. I love how the story found creative new ways to incorporate the psychic powers into the puzzles, and how so many characters found their way back into the plot. Quite a few good twists and turns too (although I did guess who the main villain was ages ago on a crazy hunch.) Although there were some loose ends that I felt weren't tied up - particularly regarding Sybil, Pudding Lincoln, and Bluster Blaster (or will that be covered in season 4?)

Overall, an amazing episode, and a definite feat in adventure gaming. I honestly can't compare S&M Season 3 to anything else.
  • edited August 2010
    A round of applause for the entire Telltale team. This was the best season by far. Funnier, smarter, better-looking. Just like the guy my girlfriend left me for *rim shot*.

Anyway, thank you, team, for an amazing season. Can't wait to see what you do next!
  • edited August 2010
    I'm lovin' all these references to obscure things and whatnot.

But everybody knows it's really DUCK season.
  • edited August 2010
    I cried. I honestly cried. And laughed at the end because I was so overfilled with glee.

I F*ING LOVE THIS SERIES TO DEATH
  • edited August 2010
    Me and greenheadphones played together. We both cried. I'm kinda disappointed that the psychic powers are no longer going to be used anymore, well, at least never mentioned again, I really liked 'em. But this episode was absolutely phenomenal and a great ending to a great season. Major applause.

And I'd like to add that whoever wrote Papierwaite this episode is a freaking genius. He was absolutely hilarious. And was it just me, or at the beginning was he checking out Momma Bosco?
  • edited August 2010
    Release date fail... AT least according to forums clock. :p
  • edited August 2010
    I just beat it. I nearly cried.
    Sam is just one of my favourite characters ever.
  • edited August 2010
    I hope everyone watched the credits all the way to the very end, or else you'd mistakingly believe that
    Sam died.
    But seriously, poor
    Sal, he
    was treated so badly the past few episodes before being killed off. As for the
    Narrator being the final bad guy,
    that was predictable almost from the begining, you know, because "it's always the one you least suspect."

Season 3 blew my mind. I haven't been this giddy since I heard there would be a Serious Sam 3 & an American McGee's Alice 2. I haven't enjoyed a cinematic story this much since I saw Pleasentville on the big screen (that's what, 12 years old now?)

Gawd I hope there is a season 4. We've already done TV, the internet, the mafia, sentient statues, giant robots, the moon, zombies, Hell, time travel, UFOs, the Bermuda Triangle, the presidency, psychic toys, ancient egypt, the dawn of the 20th century, ghosts, mind controll, vampires, Godzilla, Cthulhu, spaceships, yetis, the North Pole, demonic posession, brainswaping, aliens, & clones. What will they come up with next?

Hey guys, please leave potitive reviews for this series at Gamezebo.com & help me nag the site staff to add seasons 1 & 2 to their list. http://www.gamezebo.com/game-directory#filter=alpha&subchannel=0&alph=S
  • edited August 2010
    Yeah complaint to Telltale for releasing game late. I was up till 12.15am last night waiting for it to be available.
  • edited August 2010
    I bet Telltale panicked a bit when we all
    suspected it was the Narrator as the main villain from Episode 1...
  • edited August 2010
    :eek:

That was the single GREATEST GAME you have EVER created, guys. It was your best game visually, your best game audibly and your best game in terms of gameplay. You have outdone yourselves.

Even when the visuals didn't completely satisfy me in previous Telltale games, or even this season, The City that Dares not Sleep did. It was excellent art-direction wise, animation-wise, lighting-wise, it was a seriously excellent looking game. I have no reservations or worries about visuals on BTTF or Jurassic Park now.

The Audio was the best audio in any Telltale game also. Bringing back VA's from previous seasons, as well as Nicki Rapp from Tales (and 303) was amazing to hear all in one game. Soundtrack was indeed as amazing as was hyped up. This leaves my seriously hoping Jared Emerson Johnson does Back To the Future and Jurassic Park's soundtracks. Apparently Sam had a cold this episode or something? Huh? I didn't notice it, I was listening out for it but I didn't hear anything unusual. I'm sure many David Nowlin naysayers from Season One will have been converted after his fantastic performance this season. These Sam & Max voices are now the iconic voices of the characters (yeah, still preferred Bill Farmer for a while, but S3 changed my mind), and of course, William Kasten is perfect as ever as Max.

Gameplay wise had some excellent puzzles, though maybe easier than most, I prefer my games to be easy by FAR. If it was any harder, I'd have to break the experience and use a walkthrough. So yeah, difficulty wise was perfect and puzzle structure was was also excellent.

Story-wise, there were a lot of throwbacks and references to previous seasons and episodes, but almost none of them felt like they were there just for the sake of it, they all served some sort of purpouse, however little or large it was. I kinda would've liked to have seen Sybil giving birth to a rock, but whatever, it would've killed the ending a bit. And on the subject of the ending...
    Beautiful, amazing. This was the most serious Sam & Max has ever been and it felt completely fine. When the credits rolled, I was like "WHAAAAAAAA???", so you can imagine how relieved I was to see that Max was not completely gone. I was a little underwhelmed by the fact that he just came from another dimension instead of coming back for a story-related reason, though. But hey, it was the last scene of the season and it wasn't for gameplay reasons so...whatever.

So...best Telltale Visuals, Audio, Gameplay, but a little bit of a backseat on the plot, good plot by itself, but maybe not what I was expecting from what the other episodes were building upto.
    But hey, 3.5/4 ain't bad!

So...overall score...hmm...9.5/10.
    I was blown away by this episode, guys. You've topped yourself, and I believe that with this last episode, The Devil's Playhouse is Telltale's best game of them all. Admittedly, I wasn't blown away by previous episodes of S3 looking back on them (most of them are excellent, but not OMG THEY'RE EXCELLENT), this one, though, sold me on the whole season. Thanks so much for this season guys, hope to replay through it multiple times in the future. Can't wait for the DVD!

My order of episodes preference
    1. The City that Dares Not Sleep (5/5)
    2. The Tomb of Sammun Mak (4.5/5)
    3. They Stole Max's Brain (4.5/5)
    4. The Penal Zone (4.5/5)
    5. Beyond The Alley of the Dolls (3.5/5)

-Monkey
    :)
  • edited August 2010
    guhhhh i made a fairly big post but the forum ate it and now i have to type it all over again

So I guess I'm the only one who's actually really dissapointed in this episode, then! (Spoilers for the entire episode incoming. Seriously, do not read unless you've finished 305)
    I was hoping we'd see the return of Bosco and the office, and I'm also sad Bluster Blaster dissapeared (wasn't he supposed to go to space, anyway?). These are minor complaints, though, so I can live with that.

The puzzles were on the easy side, in my opinion. If you didn't immediately know what to do, a little bit of trial and error should be enough to solve them. There weren't as many items as in episodes from the previous seasons, and there weren't any psychic toys either. Seriously, what was up with that? I thought the psychic powers were supposed to be this season's thing, but this episode didn't really do anything with them, gameplay or story wise.

I really hated how you didn't have Max at your side throughout the entire episode. I mean, really? It already happened in (most of) 303. Honestly, Sam & Max just doesn't feel the same without Max. I understand that the flaming Max heads were there as a replacement, but eh, it just wasn't the same.

The narrator turns out to be the season's big baddie, which was really predictable since the begining of the season. Still, he didn't engineer a master scheme that led to the events that occurred throughout this season. He didn't feel like the season's main villain, but just this episode's main villain (and he wasn't a very good at that, either in my opinion). I'll admit that him being part of Max's brain was a cool twist, but I felt like they could've done so much more with that.

I really disliked the ending. There wasn't any secret mastermind behind it all, or even an epic climax. The episode just suddenly... ended. Max died just for the sake to have a dramatic ending, and they used one hell of a deus ex machina to restore everything back to normal.

Honestly, I may be over criticizing this episode a bit. I still had fun with it, and I'll admit that I have been overhyping myself ever since I finished 304. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think 305 is an ok episode in its own right, but it's really unsatisfactory as the season's big finale. Oh well, all we can do now is to wait and see what season 4 brings us.
  • edited August 2010
    Too short but omg the storyline! Complex but just about followable. The ending is so random and paradoxical it had to be Sam & Max. It had all the comedy sucked from it then threw that in. Damn you, Telltale, for making a grown man cry then nearly break his monitor in frustration!
  • edited August 2010
    Can I just ask to Telltale directly...
    What was the deal with Stinky???? Why was she so quick to ditch Sal??? How long had they been planning???
  • edited August 2010
    One question, when was Sybil ever a dark wizard?
  • edited August 2010
    I am so jealous of you guys! I play on the PS3 and it's not out yet =P
    The waiting it's going to kill me. At least I have The Blackest Night 1 to read(Yep, it's now out on Brazil) \o/
  • edited August 2010
    Some official legislation:

The Judge's Final Decision
  • edited August 2010

Same as brain surgeon, either before the first season or completely made up. Not that it matters. The joke was she's so fickle about jobs, she's had nearly every job going.
  • edited August 2010
    Sam is a hell of a lot snarkier in this episode, but I felt so, so sorry for him. He looks so heartbroken at the end, and I actually started to tear up. Thank god that Max isn't completely gone, but...it's still really sad.

When I saw where Sam was heading, I was expecting him to try and kill himself by throwing himself over the rail or something. I actually think he might have, if a deux ex machina in the form of a time machine hadn't arrived at exactly the right moment, which really freaked me out. I wanted to hug him so badly.
  • edited August 2010

The Dark Wizard far I do know is Papierwaite. Sybil fill out the rest of the jobs.

(Her apparition just Crack me up in this moment. That was SO hilarious)
  • edited August 2010
    Great stuff from this episode:
    All the Hit The Road References
    Flint Paper fighting space gorrilas
    ...Patton Oswalt... Best Line Ever
    And of course, the ending.
  • edited August 2010
    LikaLaruku wrote: »
    As for the
    Narrator being the final bad guy,
    that was predictable almost from the begining, you know, because "it's always the one you least suspect."

Why do you think
    the Narrator is the bad guy? He's just Max's super-ego.
  • edited August 2010
    For the whole season, I was convinced that season two was, and always would be, my favourite season. The loss of so many characters and the switch to a simple continuous story instead of five varied plots all connected by one extremely complicated sub-plot definitely impacted my enjoyment. But 305 is so good, so crazy and so new player-alienating that it has retroactively made Season 3 my favourite. So well done. :D
    Making the game full of references not only to Season 1 and 2, but also to Hit the Road as well, made it for me, as well as continuing the crazy time travel plot from 204 even more.

Best part:
    "Nah, it was way more complex back then. And longer. And the voices-" "ALRIGHT, WE GET IT!"
  • edited August 2010
    This game absolutely sucked.

Nah, I just don't want telltale getting complacent with everyone talking about how brilliant this game was. 304 set up so much hype for this episode, and it delivered in every aspect. Well done telltale. Best developers out there.
  • edited August 2010
    I went HBSKUFBI when I saw the bucket of fish.

All those Hit the Road references through this season I just loved.
  • edited August 2010
    Diduz wrote: »
    Why do you think
    the Narrator is the bad guy? He's just Max's super-ego.
    B-because he tried to kill Max and take half of the city with him? That seemed obvious.
    For the whole season, I was convinced that season two was, and always would be, my favourite season. The loss of so many characters and the switch to a simple continuous story instead of five varied plots all connected by one extremely complicated sub-plot definitely impacted my enjoyment. But 305 is so good, so crazy and so new player-alienating that it has retroactively made Season 3 my favourite.

Funny, this episode has done the exact opposite for me :p
  • edited August 2010
    there is 2 endings, but they are very similar, you get to a point when sam talks about max, you can choose adventuring or crimefighting, the ending is different depending on what one you chose
Sign in to comment in this discussion.