DeLorean Rebuilt? *Movie Spoilers*

edited December 2010 in Back to the Future
So... I thought when the DeLorean got destroyed Doc was happy it was. I mean it was in pieces. If they were to rebuild it I don't think it would make any sense honestly. Unless some competiting scientist found Doc's notes and made his own DeLorean and you are on a mission to have it destroyed once again. That would make sense, but to have it rebuilt again after they were glad it was destroyed wouldn't make sense. What do you guys think?

"...Well Doc, it's destroyed... Just like you wanted..."
—Marty standing at the remains of the DeLorean

Marty: "Where ya going Doc? Back to the future?"
Doc: "No, already been there!"
— Doc and Marty during the final scene of Back to the Future Part lll

If anything, I bet we'll just see a picture of the DeLorean or a flashback or something.

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Yeah, but he made that train which doesn't really seem like he is extremely against time travel. So I don't really think he'd be that against rebuilding the DeLorean.
  • edited September 2010
    Perhaps the game is about the timeline being screwed up, and Marty suddenly coming upon the Delorean in a time and place it is not supposed to be and having to go to the last place of departure to find out what is going on. Or perhaps it takes place during Docs travels between the first and second movie, where he meets a future Marty. It is about timetravel, there are loads of possibilities.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited September 2010
    "Movie spoilers"!!! That is soooo cute!! ;)
  • edited September 2010
    They had the DeLorean in the cartoon series, which was set after the third movie and which remains terribly popular on this forum... ;)
  • edited September 2010
    Plus, the totally-canon BTTF: The Ride featured Doc inventing the eight-seat remote controlled DeLorean. And the equally-canon clips in line for the replacement Simpsons Ride featured Professor Frink go back in a DeLorean to Doc's institute.

It's not impossible for Doc to build a new DeLorean Time Machine.
  • edited September 2010
    It's already been confirmed the Game isn't a sequel. It's somewhat of an "alternate timeline".
  • edited September 2010
    That's the exact opposite of what I heard in the last interview I saw.
  • edited September 2010
    And using time travel, Doc can just borrow the original intact delorian and return it an instant after he takes it.
    edited September 2010
    That's the exact opposite of what I heard in the last interview I saw.

Duh, that discussion again. It's obvious that in the early stages of production, TTG team members couldn't just walk around saying "This is a sequel/ this is BTTF 4/ we want to continue the movies' storyline/ we'd like to create new canon" without the contact to Bob Gale or Robert Zemeckis. That would have been blasphemy! Instead, they went for the careful approach, hence the "alternate/expanded universe" idea and relativisms like "you couldn't actually call these sequels...". And you could argue for ages which is right and which is wrong.

Statements have since been far more bold. Sinaz spoke of "new canon" and the continuation of the movie storyline is a known fact. The last interview with Bob Gale finds him reluctant to call the games a "sequel" (and hear: because "it is another medium"), but I would have expected nothing else.

Fact is: The game continues the story of the movies, TTG will try really hard to make this a game that could at least be considered "new canon". Whether you consider that a BTTF sequel/4/canon or whatever, will eventually depend on yourself. If you properly define the terms "sequel" or "canon" and compare them with what we'll get, you might come to your own conclusion about what's what.
  • edited September 2010
    It's really not confirmed whether it will be a sequel or not, but Dennis Lenart mentioned that they are making sure the timelines from the trilogy will be preserved. And that something happens after the events of the three films.

So actually it very well could be considered as a sequel and dare I say canon material since Bob Gale is giving inputs. But unlike The Ride and Animated Series (which was also had Bob Gale as a producer), this game is likely going to be closer to the tone of the films and hence can be considered canon.
  • edited September 2010
    I was always confused what he meant by the "No, already been there" line. To me, it sounded like Doc was finished with time travelling, and the train wasn't a time machine, but something else.
    edited September 2010
    StarEye wrote: »
    I was always confused what he meant by the "No, already been there" line. To me, it sounded like Doc was finished with time travelling, and the train wasn't a time machine, but something else.

Most likely, he is referring to the fact that the time train is equipped with 2015-standard flight mechanics. He went to 2015 before he went back to 1985 to meet Marty. ;)
  • edited September 2010
    "On the other hand you can say that the Back To The Future series has postulated how you could have almost infinite timelines. Who's to say that the timelines we create in the game couldn't be alternate timelines?"

Doesn't he totally confirm they created new timelines for the game ? Thus implying different ones ? Thus not a sequel of the exact timelines we've seen ?
  • edited September 2010
    I never saw that confirmed, but I seem to recall someone saying "If you don't like it, you can think of it as an alternate timeline".
  • edited September 2010
    They had the DeLorean in the cartoon series, which was set after the third movie and which remains terribly popular on this forum... ;)

That cartoon is popular someplace?
  • edited September 2010
    Spoiler tags for a 25 year old movie. Classic. :P
  • edited September 2010
    If I am right, there is a spare Delorean knocking about anyway! they could just use that one... sort of!

Doc and the Delorean were Zapped into the Wild West at the end of BTTF2.
    Marty the meets up with Doc by the clock tower in the 50's and the next day they dig out that same Delorean and use it to get Marty home - but instead he goes back to the Wild West to save Doc.

At this point there are two Deloreans set in that time. They then fix the Delorean (again) and Marty then travels back to the future in the same one he arrived at.

This means that at any point between Wild West and 1950's a Delorean is sitting in a cave somewhere.

Obviously removing it without returning it after would destroy any of the events in the third movie. But if there was a way to get hold of it in that specific time gap, and replace it after then it would all fit nicely.

Only problem is, if the game is going to be set in present time (i.e. 1980's 1990's because any later wouldn't make sense as the vision of the future is not quite how it turned out except 3d cinemas lol) there would have to be a way to get back to pick it up.

Then again Doc does have a time travelling train laying around, not to mention a wife and a couple of kids but Something tells me this movie will be on an alternate time-line.
  • edited September 2010
    Come to think of it!

After Marty gets the Delorean destroyed at the end of BTTF3, there is nothing stopping Wild West Doc from digging up the old Delorean, and meeting Marty after the events of all 3 movies, and simply putting it back when they are done and that would be why Time Travelling Train Doc had to leave so quickly! Cos he knew a past version of himself, with the Delorean would show up again any minute later!

When Doc Met marty at teh end of BTTF3, he had 2 kids etc... so there's a LOT of years there Doc could have dug it up and visited Marty!

Heck, maybe we help Doc build his Time Travel Train in this game!

GOD I LOVE TIME TRAVEL THEORYS!
  • edited September 2010
    Ok ok, i jsut put my theory to my friend and he has a very valid arguement!

I have just sketched a diagram and found an issue with the plan. Yes theoretically Doc and marty could go back to any period between 1885 and 1955 (using the train) and dig the delorean out of the mine shaft.

The problem arises now. If they travel forward in time from the point of digging it out, they will only be able to travel up to 1955 because... if they have removed the car and gone forward in time, then they will essesentially be travelling forward on the timeline where the delorean no longe r exists in the mine. this would therefore mean that marty is still stuck in 1955. This means that any future would be one where Marty was stuck in 1955 and would have been about 40 years old by 1985 and also trying to avoid the 'real' marty who was born in about 1970.

It would be a similar circumstance to the part in BTTF 2 where Biff steals the Sports Almanac and gives it to himself in 1955 thus creating an alternative reality.

The issue with alternative realities is that travelling forward in time during this period will mean travelling forward in time through the alternative reality as opposed to the actual reality.

Also remember that unlike the Bill and Ted movies where it was believed that time was on a constant loop. BTTF is based on the belief that time is a single line constatntly travelling forward never having been experienced before. If this was not the case then Doc could simply have gone to the mine and dug out the delorean at the start of BTTF 1.
  • edited September 2010
    Assuming the story does continue on from after the movies.. It could easily be a DeLorean from the past. I mean, it was sitting in the cave unused for a very long time ;)
  • edited September 2010
    Yea, but this is where a separate timeline is create if that one is used.

If Doc was to take that Derlorean out and use it, then travel to 1985 to meet Marty, it wouldn't be the same 1985, Marty never would have been able able to dig out the Delorean. It would create a seperate timeline. One where Marty was left in 1955. If Doc was to take it out, he'd have to travel to 1955 to pick up Marty. All this could be done after the events of all 3 movies as well without disturbing the currently written timeline
  • edited September 2010
    Not at all - as long as they know to return the Delorean to the cave between 1885 and 1955 for the Marty who's just burned the almanac and 50s Doc to find, Doc can pick up Marty in 85 after the final scene in BttF3, ensuring they've both experienced the trilogy so far, and reducing the risk of paradox or running the risk of knowing too much about their own future.

If he picks him up in 55, his life won't have got 'saved' by Marty (who's not been sent back to 1885 at the start of BttF3), plus he runs the risk of running into his own alternate self in the form of 50s Doc.
  • edited September 2010
    This isn't exactly the most ground breaking idea, but maybe Doc just builds another one. That was their excuse for the story in the BttF Ride. LOL
  • edited September 2010
    Spykes wrote: »
    This isn't exactly the most ground breaking idea, but maybe Doc just builds another one.

Exactly.

I mean, you can still buy a "new" Delorean right now in 2010. It would have just been a matter of installing all the time travel equipment onto the new car, and I'm sure Doc still had the plans from the original.
  • edited October 2010
    What's up guys? So..we know so far that the Delorean will come back in the game, but which version do you think it will be? The hover-converted Delorean powered by Mr. Fusion or the original grounded Delorean from the first film? In my opinion, I rule out the version from Part III. Personally, I'm hoping for the flying Delorean :D Or maybe it's even a new version that Doc rebuilt, who knows?

Biff checks the forum: Delorean?...Haven't seen one of those in..25 years. ;) lol
  • edited October 2010
    My guess is the flying DeLorean.
  • edited October 2010
    I think it will be the 1st movie delorean. I THINK in one of the videos they said that: "A delorean appears and Marty soon knows what he has to do." But since there's 5 episodes i think all of them wil make an appearance.
  • edited October 2010
    Maybe this should be the "How'd the Delorean come back?" specualtion thread.
  • edited October 2010
    In Back to the Future: The Ride, Doc created the 8 passenger Delorean,lol, and there's more than one...
  • edited October 2010
    I want to ride the train.
  • edited October 2010
    In Back to the Future: The Ride, Doc created the 8 passenger Delorean,lol, and there's more than one...

No there's is only TWO deloreans. TWO of them. The 8 passenger one AND the ones in the movies. They may look different but they're the same car. Maybe the 8 passenger one will be an easter egg like: If you look at the sky a a certain moment you see 2 flying deloreans, Biff's and the 8 passenger. I don't know these are just my guesses.
  • edited October 2010
    The Time Train stinks, sorry but it does..How can you possibly travel through time in a flying train?..let alone a normal one?!? It's extremely loud, with the whistles and the steam engine. You could never get away with it..Imagine flying through the space time continuum, do you think no one would notice a 40 ft long TRAIN with lights and whistles and steam?...it would create a paradox..the bad kind..lol. The Delorean has stealth at least
  • edited October 2010
    on the wallpaper on the main page of the delorean the number plates are the bttf part 2 version, check the blog pic of it and the wallpaper image of it.
  • edited October 2010
    The suitcase one.
  • edited October 2010
    The Time Train stinks, sorry but it does..How can you possibly travel through time in a flying train?..let alone a normal one?!? It's extremely loud, with the whistles and the steam engine. You could never get away with it..Imagine flying through the space time continuum, do you think no one would notice a 40 ft long TRAIN with lights and whistles and steam?...it would create a paradox..the bad kind..lol. The Delorean has stealth at least

IT'S A TRAIN! TRAINS ARE AMAZING!
    end statement.
  • edited October 2010

Ya, I was never down with the Time Train either. Just not my style.
    The suitcase one.

LOL. Nice reference.
  • edited October 2010
    The train served its purpose and it kicked ass doing it so just admit how awesome that massive thing was. It would be pointless of doc just to scrap it and go back to the delorean he would probably use both for different situations.
  • edited October 2010
    timetrain wrote: »
    The train served its purpose and it kicked ass doing it so just admit how awesome that massive thing was. It would be pointless of doc just to scrap it and go back to the delorean he would probably use both for different situations.

I will agree with you over anything simply because of your name. You could tell me I'm really a 3 years old and I wont dispute it.
  • edited October 2010
    The DeLorean on the games website is the BttF 2 DeLorean with Mr. Fusion. So I think that's a safe bet which one it will be.
  • edited October 2010
    Anything is possible with time travel. You could repair the final incarnation of the Delorean using parts from its own future self. Choke on that, causality!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.