Game wishlist from a long time fan. Feedback please?

edited September 2010 in Back to the Future
Hey guys, I was excited to hear about TT making a new BTF game and heard they were paying attention to what was discussed on the forums so I thought I'd share a couple of ideas.

I'm a huge fan of the series and I'm really hoping that TT bring something fresh to the series that fits in with the storyline (we all hate movie games that don't make sense -_-)

Personally I think we all love Marty and Doc, but I think it would be stale if they still held the main focus - I would love to flesh out Doc's family (was really disappointed not to learn more) as I think it would be much more enjoyable to get to know his kids (possibly as the main characters? Time travelling family? :P).

As iconic as the Delorean is, the idea of a TRAIN is too cool to pass up. I believe the latest Zelda game proved that trains fit well in video games and I think this will be no exception. I would hate to be limited by tracks though (game will be severely damaged if there's no exploration involved). It's pretty far fetched but maybe integrating flying technology with the train could be a BTF styled new direction to go in? There's nobody sane who couldn't say flying around in a time train isn't fun :P

(For the old school fans, maybe have the Delorean as a skin replacement after you finish the game once?)

Finally I'd love to see lots of subtle references or throwbacks to the films that the hardcore fans will understand. I love when games/shows throw cheeky references that the normal person wouldn't bat an eyelid at (but PLEASE make them subtle, nothing makes me cringe more then when it's made to obvious).

Anyway this is just my wishlist, thankyou to anyone who spends there time reading and feedback is appreciated!

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Delorean55 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I was excited to hear about TT making a new BTF game and heard they were paying attention to what was discussed on the forums so I thought I'd share a couple of ideas.

I'm a huge fan of the series and I'm really hoping that TT bring something fresh to the series that fits in with the storyline (we all hate movie games that don't make sense -_-)

Personally I think we all love Marty and Doc, but I think it would be stale if they still held the main focus - I would love to flesh out Doc's family (was really disappointed not to learn more) as I think it would be much more enjoyable to get to know his kids (possibly as the main characters? Time travelling family? :P).

As iconic as the Delorean is, the idea of a TRAIN is too cool to pass up. I believe the latest Zelda game proved that trains fit well in video games and I think this will be no exception. I would hate to be limited by tracks though (game will be severely damaged if there's no exploration involved). It's pretty far fetched but maybe integrating flying technology with the train could be a BTF styled new direction to go in? There's nobody sane who couldn't say flying around in a time train isn't fun :P

(For the old school fans, maybe have the Delorean as a skin replacement after you finish the game once?)

Anyway this is just my wishlist, thankyou to anyone who spends there time reading and feedback is appreciated!

I TOTALLY DISAGREE with u, i dont want clara, i dont want docs kids, i dont want the train...the 3rd movie of the BTTF saga is the worst one, predictable, lost the time travel focus, and gave us a stereotypical family for doc with no good character development and no personality, nothing exciting, nothing different, in fact my favorite part of the 3rd film is the end with needles in the 80s, and the beggining of the movie in the 50s, more focused on the whole story not just a western comedy, with predictable things to happen...romance, duel, so what??? it will be the same to put doc and marty, on middle ages fighting to free a princess...so what nothing original from there...

In fact thats why i think the animated series sucked, a focus on doc's kids? and goodie too shoes clara? no waayyy!
  • edited September 2010
    If that is how you feel then why not just rewatch the movies? I understand what your saying and I'm sure there's some people who just want it to be Marty and Doc but TBH I think this game is a PERFECT chance for the series to get some new life and bring some more story to the true fans.

I'm not saying leave Marty out of the story completely, maybe just have him as a side character who gives quests? I just think this is too good a opportunity to add a few more layers into the BTTF story instead of just having the same old stuff we've all already seen.

Maybe if the story unfolded that Doc spliced some of Martys DNA into the kids (I know it sounds weird but we can leave the specifics to the story writers), that way the kids are pretty much new Martys so the old school fans are happy, and all the players like me are happy at seeing some fresh air into the series?
  • edited September 2010
    I think Telltale would be perfectly capable of breathing fresh air into the franchise with Doc & Marty as the two main characters.
  • edited September 2010
    I think Delorean55 should leave the same door he walked in. It's already been confirmed anyway that the game will revolve mainly around Doc & Marty anyway.
  • edited September 2010
    Further more, I don't think they're in need of 'fresh air' per se. They hardly got stale - there's so much more we don't know about Doc/Marty in regards to their history, their family, their motives, how they met, etc etc that using them exactly as they were in BttF3 would be fine without delving into other characters' stories and history.
  • edited September 2010
    I'm sure they could work on something but I personally feel it would be much more interesting for Marty (& Doc to a extent) to take a backseat and flesh out some new characters. The fact is we know very little about Docs kids, so they are a blank canvas for TT to work there magic and create some very likeable charactesrs.

With Doc and Marty, I mean how much more do you want to know? Who tought Marty how to skate? What color Doc's hair was in the past? I know what your saying, but when you think about it I think it would just be annoying if the game was just finding out every little detail of there lives (though I'll admit I'd love to see how they meet).

You also have to remember that TT are making this to hopefully make money (which I hope they do since it means higher chances of more BTF games). The train has already been proven that it can be successful in video games, and I think there's more a chance of sequels etc if Doc's kids took the stage at the very beginning (the "Video Game" perspective)

Anyway I understand that everyone opinion is different but personally I feel that the best of both worlds (the fans are happy and TT can make profit) should try to incorporate some of these ideas.
  • edited September 2010
    FIGULS wrote: »
    I TOTALLY DISAGREE with u, i dont want clara, i dont want docs kids, i dont want the train...the 3rd movie of the BTTF saga is the worst one, predictable, lost the time travel focus, and gave us a stereotypical family for doc with no good character development and no personality, nothing exciting, nothing different, in fact my favorite part of the 3rd film is the end with needles in the 80s, and the beggining of the movie in the 50s, more focused on the whole story not just a western comedy, with predictable things to happen...romance, duel, so what??? it will be the same to put doc and marty, on middle ages fighting to free a princess...so what nothing original from there...

In fact thats why i think the animated series sucked, a focus on doc's kids? and goodie too shoes clara? no waayyy!

What can I say? That's a FULL TRUTH post, right there. You are correct on all the points you make about the 3rd movie, and the fact that the two main protagonists need to be Marty and Doc. This is going to be a game based on the movie trilogy, not some spinoff.
  • edited September 2010
    With Doc and Marty, I mean how much more do you want to know? Who tought Marty how to skate? What color Doc's hair was in the past? I know what your saying, but when you think about it I think it would just be annoying if the game was just finding out every little detail of there lives (though I'll admit I'd love to see how they meet).

I don't need to learn anything more about Doc and Marty, I want to see more/new adventures with them! This is likely the closest thing we'll ever see to a BttF4. I don't want Back to the Future - The New Class with characters I don't care about. Back to the Future isn't like LOST where we need to know the back-stories of characters and there are a ton of unanswered questions. It was never a mystery story.

Like everyone else, I have to completely disagree with everything you want out of this game. However, you're completely entitled to your opinion.
  • edited September 2010
    1. Part three sucked!

2. NO one wants a game about Doc's kids!

3. NO one wants a game where you can't use the Delorian!

Although I would like to use the flying Train at some point in the game! The flying train was the only cool part of Part 3!
  • edited September 2010
    1. Part three sucked!

2. NO one wants a game about Doc's kids!

3. NO one wants a game where you can't use the Delorian!

Although I would like to use the flying Train at some point in the game! The flying train was the only cool part of Part 3!

That's a bit subjective. You think that you don't won't it that means everybody doesn't want it and people who do want it are no one.
  • edited September 2010
    that's a bit subjective. You think that you don't won't it that means everybody doesn't want it and people who do want it are no one.

yes!
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited September 2010
    1.) I liked part 3! ;)

2.) NO one wants a game about Doc's kids!

3.) NO one wants a game where you can't use the DeLorean!

No, of course there are no absolutes, no two BTTF fans are alike, and you may wish for whatever's in your heart. Still, Doc's two little snots do not exactly have a host of followers. That's not to say that these two boys, with 12 more years on their back, a decent re-naming and a portion of individual personality, could not make for good game characters. Still, most fans would just want Doc & Marty back, and that's what's already promised.

As for the time train, I always considered it to be a massively exaggerated asset, specifically designed to destroy the actual spirit of adventure, purposefully ending the movie series forever. After this monstrosity was on the screen, you'd just have to believe that it's over. ;)

So let's just have the DeLorean, which, coincidentally, is ALSO already promised. :D
  • edited September 2010
    Not making Doc and Marty the focus of a Back to the Future totally defeats the purpose of using the Back to the Future license. They ARE Back to the Future. Not using them would be akin to making a Monkey Island game without Guybrush. You know that successful Ghostbusters console game that came out a year or two ago? Do you think it would have done nearly as well if you didn't spend the whole game in the company of THE Ghostbusters?

If Telltale planned to make a game without Doc and Marty, they'd have just not paid for the Back to the Future license and made an original time travel game. Rarely does anyone care about the continuation of a franchise once the original characters are no longer a part of it.
  • edited September 2010
    As far as I'm concerned, anyone who hates Part 3 isn't a true BTTF fan.
  • edited September 2010
    If it would continue from the end of BTTF3 there would be no reason to bring Marty back his story has ended his future is his, he has got Jennifer. And everyone seems to have ganged up on Delorean55 for voicing his opinion and instead of trying to make a sensible argument are saying stuff like "go die" and all you super fans thinking you have some kind of superiority over what TellTale should do and that you are the only market and that if they don't do certain things you say the game will be crap so no one will buy it.
  • edited September 2010
    That's quite a long sentence.
  • edited September 2010
    If it would continue from the end of BTTF3 there would be no reason to bring Marty back his story has ended his future is his, he has got Jennifer. And everyone seems to have ganged up on Delorean55 for voicing his opinion and instead of trying to make a sensible argument are saying stuff like "go die" and all you super fans thinking you have some kind of superiority over what TellTale should do and that you are the only market and that if they don't do certain things you say the game will be crap so no one will buy it.

Amen.

All Im saying is that to my understanding there has been BTF games in the past, and they didn't exactly do to well. Im guessing they followed the same old formula of Marty and Doc, travelling back to fight dinosaurs or knights or something. You might think that's the best way to go, but it's honestly nothing fresh at all.

I'm hoping with my hearts heart that TT do get some freshness involved (I saw the pic they did of M & D and it looks dope I think), but there has to be something exciting about this telling of the story to keep it memorable I think. We do not know enough about Docs kids to immediately say they suck, they literally are a blank canvas for the epic to continue on (and still make sense).

To the guy who told me to die for suggesting Marty is a quest giver - have you ever heard of subtlety? I think it would be a real twist for Marty to still be a main character, but not to have the focus on him all the time (as that would steer the series on a new, longer direction). Maybe you like everything to be nice, simple and understandable, but personally I believe the key to a success and a long series is a level of complexity that all people can appreciate.
  • edited September 2010
    Also, regarding the current discussion, when you see a post you think is inappropriate, click on the Inappropriate Post icon report.gif and give us a heads up - we try for as much coverage as possible, but we can't catch everything.

Also sometimes things you might think are inappropriate can get glossed over. So a heads-up to give something a 2nd look with a fresh pair of eyes / perspective can really help us out.

So instead of just complaining publicly about posts that you think should have been moderated, hit that button when you see them (or just PM a mod or relevant staff member), and let us know please.
  • edited September 2010
    Thankyou for letting me know - I didn't even see that little icon to be honest
  • edited September 2010
    Amen.

All Im saying is that to my understanding there has been BTF games in the past, and they didn't exactly do to well. Im guessing they followed the same old formula of Marty and Doc, travelling back to fight dinosaurs or knights or something. You might think that's the best way to go, but it's honestly nothing fresh at all.

I'm hoping with my hearts heart that TT do get some freshness involved (I saw the pic they did of M & D and it looks dope I think), but there has to be something exciting about this telling of the story to keep it memorable I think. We do not know enough about Docs kids to immediately say they suck, they literally are a blank canvas for the epic to continue on (and still make sense).

I think you're totally wrong! The BTTF games, that I know of, sucked @$$, which is why they probably didn't do well! I do not think it was because they had you play as Marty! Just using new characters is a lazy writer's cheap and easy way out! I agree that there should be something exciting in this story, as there should be in any good story! But I do not think that Doc's kids is the answer here! This is just one of many tricks a writer uses when they run out of good ideas, along with changes the characters ages (that is suddenly making them older or younger), etc.! It is a writer's job to make the characters (Marty & Doc) Fresh! Freshness comes from good writing! Like in comicbooks where old and worn charcters can be freshened up by new skilled writers! AND PART 3 STILL SUCKED!
  • edited September 2010
    Long ago, when I was dreaming about a BttF game (long before even TellTale existed), I was having this idea that we would play as a totally new character (from the future) who accidental has met Doc Brown with his Delorian. It would take place in the 10 minutes of the first movie, during the part when Doc leaves Marty at his home and before he returns with an upgraded flying DeLorean (and, we would be the ones who would help Doc upgrade it). And I think that's a perfect idea if one wants to preserve the canon of the movies and don't touch them at all, you can think of anything.

Now, I don't know what TellTale is doing, but there's only two options: either a sequel to the movie (like the Ghostbusters game is a sequel to the Ghostbusters movie) either a more traditional movie-game approach (when the movie is taken as a base, fundament, but, well, it's only based on it - it's a known paradox that, to be more truthful to the source, one must derive from it, which is why, for example, movies based on books which take liberties are, as a general rule, better than those which are based very strictly; every media genre has it's distinctions one must always take into consideration). And, well, to be honest, I'm NOT happy with a sequel idea (I wouldn't say I HATE Clara, or the train, or the kids... I just don't care a crap about them)

But I would be happy with both a traditional movie-based game approach and the mentioned "in-between" stuff (and the second one won't happen).

PS. Interestingly enough, when I was dreaming about BttF game, (it was sometimes during the years 2000-2001) I envisioned it as a 3D-adventure game with non-notorious action sequences... And... I just realized that I kinda have predicted the future.... Huh...
  • edited September 2010
    Yes but Doctor Professor you must remember that those two characters have a huge storyline and base of their own. It would be so hard for new writers to make it fresh again as each character has a huge story, and if a new writer made the slightest "wrong" change there would be an uproar and (IMO) the game would be ruined as it wouldn't feel authentic.
    It's going to be really difficult to continue the game as M & D and have it still make sense, as I believe if the game doesn't feel authentic I will not enjoy it.

A new character (or one we know a little about) gives this game the best chance at feeling authentic and still being a good BTF game. I have never said get rid of M & D completely, but let them take a backseat as quest givers (or maybe you can play them in mini games?). We all know Doc won't be around forever, so instead of the BTF storyline dying when he does, a new main character can keep the story continued. Besides, a potential female main character certainly would be appealing from a commercial point of view, I believe.
  • edited September 2010
    Yes but Doctor Professor you must remember that those two characters have a huge storyline and base of their own. It would be so hard for new writers to make it fresh again as each character has a huge story, and if a new writer made the slightest "wrong" change there would be an uproar and (IMO) the game would be ruined as it wouldn't feel authentic.
    It's going to be really difficult to continue the game as M & D and have it still make sense, as I believe if the game doesn't feel authentic I will not enjoy it.

A new character (or one we know a little about) gives this game the best chance at feeling authentic and still being a good BTF game. I have never said get rid of M & D completely, but let them take a backseat as quest givers (or maybe you can play them in mini games?). We all know Doc won't be around forever, so instead of the BTF storyline dying when he does, a new main character can keep the story continued. Besides, a potential female main character certainly would be appealing from a commercial point of view, I believe.

I think the fact that Bob Gale is on-board helping with the story, eliminates any chance of the game not feeling authentic. After all, he is the co-creator of the movies so he knows the characters better than anyone on this board. I don't think a female character would sit well with the majority of fans of the movies - which I believe will make up the majority of buyers for the game. I'm really anti-jules, verne & clara playing any major role in this game - which I think you are leaning toward. But all in all it doesn't really matter as it has already been confirmed that Telltale believe the story should revolve around the characters of Doc, Marty and Einstein in the Delorean time-machine :)
  • edited September 2010
    Yes for me is like what i love of the movies is in the first 2, and the part with clara and the kids, the thing is that got mixed with a lot of "whatever" storys,
    rescuing princess in middle ages, killing hitler in the 40s, more than an hour just revolving around the west...new characters without any good personalities and a "disney" ending...loosing the coolness and edge the first two had...

like i say give me marty in a glam metal band from the 80s, i want mullets from the 80s, i want to know more about beefs life, more about hows marty life in highschool, after the third movie and he's cool, i want marty to have a sexy girlfriend that has bad plans for him and doc...i dont know...but lets do some cool things, i have indiana jones 3, the good the bad and the ugly, quantum leap,sliders, even bill and ted excellent adventure, timecop, etc etc etc...
    the last thing i want are 2 shy and genious kids with a goodie two shoes mom from the past as lead roles...THAT WOULD SUCK!

The thing about BTTF is the characters, how close u get to them, and how their lives are change and what happens regarding their lives...

Not just a save kennedy, stop WW3, kill hitler, save princess, that have happened in thousands of movies, series, games...

like i said i respectfully disagree TOTALLY with delorean 55 idea of the BBTF franchise...
  • edited September 2010
    I think you're totally wrong! The BTTF games, that I know of, sucked @$$, which is why they probably didn't do well! I do not think it was because they had you play as Marty! Just using new characters is a lazy writer's cheap and easy way out! I agree that there should be something exciting in this story, as there should be in any good story! But I do not think that Doc's kids is the answer here! This is just one of many tricks a writer uses when they run out of good ideas, along with changes the characters ages (that is suddenly making them older or younger), etc.! It is a writer's job to make the characters (Marty & Doc) Fresh! Freshness comes from good writing! Like in comicbooks where old and worn charcters can be freshened up by new skilled writers! AND PART 3 STILL SUCKED!

What? I'm not sure you no much about writing. But making and using new characters with new personalities is a lot harder than using already accepted and fleshed out characters. And it is not a trick when writers are out of ideas, what would be more of a trick would be if they just used the same old characters in a predictable setting.
  • edited September 2010
    I'm not so sure.

With new characters you have a blank slate to do with them whatever you like (eg Morgan in Tales of Monkey Island). With the existing characters, there's a lot of work in making sure what you're doing with them stays true to their canon. There were no doubt restrictions placed on Telltale by LucasArts (and maybe even informally by Ron Gilbert during the brainstorming sessions) with what they could and couldn't do with Guybrush. And I'd assume it will be a similar with Marty and Doc, they'll have to be true to the character, and that can be a harder job to write than for a brand new character - if they get it wrong the audience (and reviewers) will never let them forget.
  • edited September 2010
    I don't know when writing your own characters there's a larger margin of era, and writing a new character is hard. I think the limitations of canon and staying true to the characters is overshadowed by the difficulties of creating an interesting round character.

Secondly. Whats with all the hate for Doc's kids? They only appeared for a few seconds and didn't say anything. If your basing their personalty as goodie two shoes on their clothes all kids dressed like that back then. You might as well complain about a park bench that appeared in the film and say 'I not gonna buy the game if that bench is in it'.
  • edited September 2010
    One of doc's kids is super creepy.
  • edited September 2010
    I can't believe I never noticed that before!
  • edited September 2010
    Lol, likewise. Admitedly Bttf3 is my least favourite of the trilogy, but I've still seen it well over 20 times and never noticed it at all!
  • edited September 2010

Secondly. Whats with all the hate for Doc's kids? They only appeared for a few seconds and didn't say anything. If your basing their personalty as goodie two shoes on their clothes all kids dressed like that back then. You might as well complain about a park bench that appeared in the film and say 'I not gonna buy the game if that bench is in it'.

Its not against docs kids, is about docs kids to be leading roles in the game... actually the ending of the series seems as it was written by a different person,
    seems like a kids movie... i dont like that, and its not hate...its just, opposition of using the trilogy's worst parts as the leading or more important roles
  • edited September 2010
    Ah that poor kid, who was almost weeping and indicating to hit the restroom, sadly came out all creepy and has gone viral :D.
  • edited September 2010
    A lot of people are saying they hate Doc's kids and the stuff that was done with the BTTF cartoon. That was a Saturday morning kid show that was designed to be educational about history and science. I was the right age for it when it came out and I liked it then, but in retrospect, I think it's lame. However, one thing that probably hasn't been pointed out is that Bob Gale was a major influence on that show and since he is the "go to guy" for this new game series, we'll have to hope that his idea of continued BTTF stories has grown as well.
  • edited September 2010
    While it's true that Gale did contribute to the animated series, there were a lot more restrictions for a children's TV show than there are for an independent computer game. The network almost certainly demanded central child characters, and the FCC might have demanded the show be educational. Without restrictions like that, I don't have any reason to worry.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.