Ask the Telltale Back to the Future Team (Almost) Anything!

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Are there any "action" sequences in the game, such as being able to drive the DeLorean at certain points (similar to season 1 of "Sam and Max"), or is it all straight point-and-click adventure gaming?
  • edited October 2010
    will the game be good?
  • edited October 2010
    1- Are you planning to make any meaningful (or noticeable) changes to the game engine or is it going to be functionally identical to the one used on the recent Sam & Max Games?

2- Are the interactions of the main characters going to be primarily with characters from the movies (and their past/future relatives) or with completely new characters?

3- How many time periods will we go to on each episode? Will each episode send you to completely different time periods or will we see the same time periods throughout the series? Or will it be just one different time period per episode?

4- Will we see cameos from other Telltale games? (e.g., we go to the past to give a toddler Steve Purcell a pic of an overdressed dog and a white lagomorph.)

5- What will be the tone of the episodes? Mostly adventure with a little comedy? Mostly comedy? Sitcom-style comedy?

6- Will the character design go for realism, or for a more cartoonish look?

7- How tall will Marty McFly be compared to the other characters? :D

8- Will we meet historical figures? If so, what kind of figures (e.g., politicians, entertainers, athletes, etc.)?
  • edited October 2010
    - Will there be any easter eggs regarding past BTTF games?

- BTTF was full of trademarked pop-culture references, will the game be able to have at least some of them too?

- Will Telltale release some merchandise of the game after all its episodes are out?

- Is there anyone of the original movies' crew, outside Mr. Gale and Mr. Lloyd, that was or will be involved with the game?
  • edited October 2010
    Okay, I have some more questions after literally just having finished watching Part 3 for the first time.
    Will the adventures of Doc and Marty include
    Clara and their kids Jules and Verne
    ?

Will it be possible for the chicken joke to come back?
  • edited October 2010
    * Is time travel going to be a core gameplay feature (vs being just there to put the player at the proper settings) ? If so, Day of the Tentacle, The Tomb of SammunMak and Chariots of the Dogs explored similar puzzle design directions; are you going to keep digging in this vein or will you depart completely from it ?

* The Devil's Playhouse featured several endings ... will BTTF go beyond by having the impact of the player's secondary actions carry over future episodes?

* Esthetically, Back to the Future: The Animated Series already offered cartoonish representation of the universe, how did this influence the art research phase?

* You've been injecting a little bit of drama in the comedy of the last two seasons you delivered, do you see BTTF as a good opportunity to do that even more?
  • edited October 2010
    - Will Marty be selling fine leather jackets at any point in this new adventure?

- If you guys have the likeness of Crispin Glover in the game, is this going to be a potential legal problem?

george_mcfly.jpg
    *I had to meet all kinds of crazy demands just to post this picture in this forum.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited October 2010
    Here we go!
    • When the cooperation between Universal and Telltale was announced, both BTTF and Jurassic Park were announced as "cinematic thrill rides" and more than just "a little bit different than other TT games". While this promise is upheld in the Jurassic Park forum, such announcements have ceased concerning BTTF. Has the original concept for this game changed? Was this due to design decisions or time restrictions?
    • Are you considering different endings (i.e. different "presents"/"futures") based on the players' decisions?
    • In how far will you improve the animation possibilities of your in-game models? Will the Doc model be able to stand/walk with a crooked back and bent knees or tilt/put his head back? Will the facial animation be able to represent, for example, the contraction of the mentalis and triangularis muscles in the chin, which Lloyd does quite often and exaggeratedly?
    • Will there be closure at the end of the season (i.e. no cliffhangers left, no hints at a continuation in a second series)?
    • A good storyline always comprises a great deal of well-placed surprises. In how far do you feel restricted in your story arc ideas for the game by your respect for Bob Gale and Zemeckis' work/the movie triology? Has this been a problem in the initial design stage?
    • Without giving away too much the game's story, could you name one particular story element you would have wanted in but Bob Gale immediately vetoed out?

And kudos to the community: There's not one question about BTTF being a free-roam GTA sandbox-style game in here, and we're on page 3 already. And I still don't know what "sandbox" means. ;)

On a sidenote, the frequent questions about possible crossovers/ frequent game/TV/movie references are really scaring me. I'd be really disgusted if there were references about fine leather jackets, Sam&Max, Toonstruck, Doctor Who or whatever in the Back to the Future game. It's just the wrong game for that, as it would pretty much kill the atmosphere!
  • edited October 2010
    doglos20 wrote: »
    Hello, I know why you decided to use a car as a Time Machine. But why did you choose a car like the Delorean? And what other car did you had in mind before the Delorean? It looks awesome by the way, thanks for making this great movie. Regards

In the original movie, Doc explains it pretty well:
    I figure, If I have to build a Time Machine, why not do it with a little style? Also, the stainless steel outside will protect the passengers inside the car.
  • edited October 2010
    doglos20 wrote: »
    Hello, I know why you decided to use a car as a Time Machine. But why did you choose a car like the Delorean? And what other car did you had in mind before the Delorean? It looks awesome by the way, thanks for making this great movie. Regards

Not to nitpick, but Doc's quote is actually:

"If you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style? Besides, the stainless steel construction makes the flux dispersal..." *Stopwatch beeps* "...LOOK OUT!!!"

Something to do with how the 1.21 jigowatt discharge from the flux capacitor is more evenly dispersed by the stainless steel on the frame, I guess...

P.S. I will not apologize for having memorized the Trilogy from a young age.
  • edited October 2010
    They mention on the DVD that the main reason for choosing the DeLorean was the spaceship gag in the barn.
  • edited October 2010
    The Gneech wrote: »
    The one that jumps out at me is just to wonder if there's an official word on why Michael J. Fox isn't doing the voice. There are obvious reasons to speculate on, of course, but given that he did the Spike TV spot and did it well, it would be nice to have him at center stage for this. :)

-The Gneech :cool:

Not to get nitpicky, but acting in a minute-long commercial is not the same thing at all as acting in a full video game. In fact, given how you don't actually see Michael J. Fox's face until the very end, it's possible they used a double for most of the commercial. (I don't know if they did for sure, I'm just saying there's a possibility.)

That said, it would definitely be nice to get some official word on if Michael J. Fox is in or not.
  • edited October 2010
    Will 'Red' the tramp be making a cameo appearence in the BTTF comp game, it's touches like adding his character into the game which would add to the authenticity / experience for hardcore fans!

"Crazy drunk Driveeeeeeers!" :)
  • edited October 2010
    The game is good.

...Really????
    The game isn't good.

The game is GOD!!
  • edited October 2010
    • Will the episodic games use heavy referrals or play on events from the movie trilogy? That's to say, are the events from the movie important to the actual game or are you taking a completely fresh approach with an independent storyline?
    • Which year will be the "present time" in the game? 2010 with Marty as 42 years old or 80's with teenage Marty? Or something inbetween?
    • I would also like some clarification on which character(s) we will actually be controlling. Old Marty, young Marty, Marty jr in present time...or someone else?
    • Are you implementing any new main characters that are important to the overall story?

Thank you for doing this Q&A and I apologize for my seemingly stupid questions.
  • edited October 2010
    Marty wrote: »
    will the game be good?
    Johnny B. Goode.
    I had to do that, sorry...
  • edited October 2010
    1.) What time periods will be playable in the game? This is a new adventure so will it incorporate 1985, 1955, or 1885 into the new adventure as the trilogy did. For example in Part II when Marty and '85 Doc go back to the dance to get the book from Biff.

2.) How will Marty and Doc travel through time since the Delorean was destroyed in Part III?

3.) Will the game feature the classic original Alan Silvestri score or will there be a new soundtrack for the game? BTTF wouldn't be BTTF without The Power of Love either though, so will that be in the game?

4.) Will Mr. Strickland be in the game?

5.) Will Michael J. Fox be voicing at least some of Marty's lines? Will anyone from the original cast be voicing their characters besides Christopher Lloyd?

Hope to see some of the game soon!
  • edited October 2010
    Apart from Doc and Marty and the DeLorean, which characters, running jokes, themes, set pieces, props, etc. do you consider to be most iconic and integral to the series?
  • edited October 2010
    1. About the controls: Will this game use mouse, keyboard or both?

2. Is this connected to the movies storywise or is this like a spinoff?

3. Will Biff be in this (I sure hope he is).
    Thank you! =)
  • edited October 2010
    Any chance we can look forward to a playable version of "Vs. Wild Gunman"? (the cabinet was made exclusively for the movie and was the only zapper game Nintendo didn't put in the arcades)
  • edited October 2010
    Hi, I live in the UK and am very excited about this game. I wonder how many other people in the UK are even aware of it though... I'll spread the word! :)

My questions are:

1: Will we have an overlap of timelines, like in BTTF2? For example, in a later episode of the game will we witness the events of an earlier episode but from a different perspective? Perhaps Marty is knocked out in episode 1, and in episode 4 we discover that it is in fact future Marty who knocks himself out...

2: Are you considering attempting to address the fact that in the year 2010 (i.e. now) we are no way near the kind of tech that BTTF2 showed for 2015? I highly doubt flying cars, weather reports to the second or the ability to have an "all-natural overhaul" will be available in 5 years...

3: Will we get another visit from Western Union? An animated version of the scene appears at the end of Family Guy's 'Something something something dark side' and it reminded me of just how clever it was. Something similar would be awesome!!

I literally can't wait for this game to come out! I managed to watch a grainy video of the Scream 2010 awards reunion on Youtube and even that was enough to get excited by! :D
  • edited October 2010
    5- What will be the tone of the episodes? Mostly adventure with a little comedy? Mostly comedy? Sitcom-style comedy?

6- Will the character design go for realism, or for a more cartoonish look?

They answered these two in the Youtube videos- TellTale forums won't let me post a link.. It keeps getting deleted.

5- They're focusing on the Drama first, and letting the comedy come from that. The games have always had great stories, and they are focusing on creating a game that is worthy of the 3 originals.

6-
    They said they wanted to go for an "in between" look, between cartoony and realistic. They had created versions that were realistic, and all-cartoony, but neither looked "right"

They had their artist create an "in-between" version, which is the Marty/Doc concept art they've released. That's the level they're going for.
  • edited October 2010
    As someone new to the Telltale world because of the BTTF game, can you please explain how exactly these games/episodes/chapters are released? By that I mean, for PC or console, will they likely be available for purchase as a disc game, or are they downloadable only?

Thanks!
  • edited October 2010
    What is the title for the first episode?
    How much will the game cost? i.e. Will there be an option to buy this and Jurassic Park for less or will it just be 2 $35 games?
  • edited October 2010
    Hi Mike! :D Do I have your blessing in making the Back to the Future Tribute I've been planning?
  • edited October 2010
    1) How much did the existence of other Back to the Future mods, like the one for Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (which has recreated the time vehicles and buildings and simulated time travel using the GTA engine), influence the design of an environment for the Telltale series?

2) Might product placement be seen in the game, such as in the films (Pepsi, Texaco, JVC, Black and Decker, AT&T, etc?)

3) Will inside jokes be prevalent throughout the game series, as they appear in the films, such as misunderstanding of modern terminology? ("This is heavy." "Is there something wrong with the Earth's gravitational pull?")

4) Will there be a map of Hill Valley, capable of overlap with each time barrier crossed? If so, would it follow the canonical railroad map from 1885?

5) Will hitching rides with skateboards and hoverboards be an available mode of transportation?

6) Would skyways and flying cars be present in timelines set in the future?

7) While it is unlikely we'll be told if minor actors from the trilogy are returning to reprise roles in the game, and that we might not see the same years as in the films, I would like to note that I would love to encounter again Red the Bum, the Clock Tower lady, Lester the CPR Guy, Chester the Bartender, and even Mr. Phibbs the Undertaker, even if just some few years past.

8) Even as the game will be new content, might there be bonus games that let the player relive certain parts of the films, like in the form of flashbacks?

I think that is most of what I wanted to get out.

Thank you for your time... wait, I have all the time in the world, I have a time machine...
  • edited October 2010
    Will the console gameplay be similar to The Devil's Playhouse and the Tales of Monkey Island port?
  • edited October 2010
    Did this interview by gameon, "Back to The Future: next-gen game?" with Cristopher lloyd have an impact on your descision to aproach Universal for the rights to produce a Bttf game? Also when he said he would reprise his role as the voice of Doc. Brown if asked, influence you asking him to take part in the game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTNDXKW7bwI
  • edited October 2010
    All I just want to know is: What consoles is it coming out to and when will it be released?
  • edited October 2010
    Every major current platform. PC, Mac, 360, PS3, Wii. EDIT: Telltale has NOT announced platforms yet.
    edited October 2010
    Anthony817 wrote: »
    Every major current platform. PC, Mac, 360, PS3, Wii.

Alan has explicitly stated that no platforms are announced as of yet. However, judging from the code contained in the BTTF Blu Ray release, it's rather hard to not release it on PC and Mac. ;)
    Hi Mike! :D Do I have your blessing in making the Back to the Future Tribute I've been planning?

What do you mean, "planning"?! You're supposed to be right in the middle of it, for months now! :(
  • edited October 2010
    1. Is there going to be more voice actors in the game because Marty McFly isn't the same without the incredible Michael J Fox!

2. What time periods can we expect to see in the game?
    edited October 2010
    I'm very sorry, Colucci, but Alan's opening post should have made it absolutely clear that both of your questions will remain unanswered. :(
  • edited October 2010
    Doubt this will get an answer but..

How will the game re-introduce the Delorean after its destruction at the end of the third film?

And just for the lulz, can i haz specific time periodz explord in the game plz?
  • edited October 2010
    Anthony817 wrote: »
    Every major current platform. PC, Mac, 360, PS3, Wii.

Hey, how about not spreading rumors and speculation on stuff we haven't announced as fact. It just confuses people in the long run.

As if I haven't stated it enough, but platforms for Back to the Future HAVE NOT been announced yet.
  • edited October 2010
    Hey, how about not spreading rumors and speculation on stuff we haven't announced as fact. It just confuses people in the long run.

As if I haven't stated it enough, but platforms for Back to the Future HAVE NOT been announced yet.

I am very sorry Alan, I never meant to spread roumors. I had genuinely thought they had already been announced some time back. Again, sorry to cause confusion. :o
  • edited October 2010
    That has nothing to do with with this thread lattsam, please refrain from asking questions that are not Back to the future related.
  • edited October 2010
    What has the experience of working with Universal been like? I imagine it would be different than making games based on the creations of people who own their own material (Steve Purcell, the Brothers Chaps) or smaller companies (Aardman, LucasArts). Does Universal have final say over everything that goes into the game? Does Telltale have a fair (or even great) amount of creative control?
  • edited October 2010
    What has been the one thing to make you guys smile the biggest so far throughout the process of making the game. By that, I mean the one moment where you guys are like ".... This. Is. AWESOME!"
  • edited October 2010
    Why couldn't Michael J. Fox play the role of Marty?
This discussion has been closed.