Exclusive Behind The Scenes of The New Game!

edited October 2010 in Back to the Future
this was just posted on Game Trailers: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-behind-back-to-the/706587

Enjoy!

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Coming along nicely so far - I expect there's still some work to be done on the character models so I shan't judge them yet!
  • edited October 2010
    Knowing Telltale's extremely tight schedule, the game can look totally different in a weeks time.
  • edited October 2010
    The expressiveness of Doc really reminds me of the expressiveness of Pixar's animation. This is going to be a fun weekend!
  • edited October 2010
    I really like how the Doc animation is coming along. I knew you'd get the eccentric angle when I saw the concept art, but the animation really shows the character's warmth coming through.
  • edited October 2010
    Doc looks great! (And sounds great too.) It's so weird hearing Christopher Lloyd talk normally and then hearing him as Doc, but it's nice to know he's still got it after all these years.

Also, on the GameTrailers page it lists the platforms as "PC/Mac/Wii/Xbox 360/PlayStation 3." Is this official, or just a placeholder by GT?
  • edited October 2010
    I don't think the in-game model looks very much like the concept art. Still pretty cool-looking, though.
  • edited October 2010
    Nice we got to see Doc in action! Looks amazing! Finaly got to see what he looks like ingame! Amazing job Telltale!
  • edited October 2010
    Hopefully tomorrow we'll find out if Michael J Fox will voice Marty or not. After all, the next video is called "Hey, Mcfly!", is it not?
  • edited October 2010
    Hopefully tomorrow we'll find out if Michael J Fox will voice Marty or not. After all, the next video is called "Hey, Mcfly!", is it not?

It will be three minutes of Tom Wilson knocking on the camera (to simulate knocking on your head) yelling "HELLO, MCFLY? ANYBODY HOME?" repeatedly.

That doesn't mean Tom Wilson is in the game. They just got him to do the video.
  • edited October 2010
    That doesn't mean Tom Wilson is in the game. They just got him to do the video.

No, but he does do voice work for cartoons and other things, so I can only hope Tom makes it in game!
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited October 2010
    Not content with the Doc animation so far (not at all), I'm putting hope on the "work in progress" subtitle. That said, I've been building up so many hopes in that area, concerning facial animation, gesture, movement (you may have recognized that ;) ), that I'm a little bound to be disappointed. But let's see, it's work in progress after all!

However, the Doc's lab concept looks nice; could have been a bit more inventive, but after all, it's a location that wasn't much explored in the movies, and that means it's a really logical place to revisit. And what's with that BOAT?

If the world exclusive trailer they're mentioning is up on December 2nd, that's actually a first real indication when we'll have a game. ;)

...aaaand off to watch the trailer again. Must have missed some subtleties.
  • edited October 2010
    Doc seems too "young" and somewhat "child" imho.
    But I trust on TT design! ;)
    edited October 2010
    Doc seems too "young" and somewhat "child" imho.
    But I trust on TT design! ;)

He's lacking wrinkles and texture (the latter will probably be remedied). But it's the eyes that really still need much, much work. Position and shape of eyebrows is all wrong, and the model has no eyelids to speak of (look at Lloyd for comparison!). At least some of these things will probably appear during the next months, though. ;)
  • edited October 2010
    December?! Aaw, whalepoop!
  • edited October 2010
    It's not a bad model imho, but doesn't resemble mr.Lloyd too much. It also lacks the spot he has on the cheek.
    And btw, I love the real Lloyd's gestures - can they be captured in the game? :p

..... and it's me or the mimic are sooooo Mr.Winslow (or generically "the short guy")?
  • edited October 2010
    So cool! You BTTF fans should be greateful, at least you're getting something! :p

That doesn't mean I don't like BTTF. On the contrary, I love it. But is just that JP is my favorite film of all time.

Can't wait for the next video. Maybe Wilson singing...

Are you in the new BTTF game? No, I'm not.
    Are you in the new BTTF game? No-o.
    Are you in the new BTTF game? Go to hell!
    Stop asking me the question!

Or maybe Marty himself? We'll see...
  • edited October 2010
    I'm really hyped!
    edited October 2010
    Trenchfoot wrote: »

Are you in the new BTTF game? No, I'm not.
    Are you in the new BTTF game? No-o.
    Are you in the new BTTF game? Go to hell!
    Stop asking me the question!

Tom would never sacrifice the meter THAT much. :D Still, I think the question whether he is in the game or not WILL be answered tomorrow. "Hey, McFly" is Biff's line, and only Biff's. If no one mentions Tom Wilson in that video tomorrow, it's highly likely that he's just not in the game.
  • edited October 2010
    Not content with the Doc animation so far (not at all), I'm putting hope on the "work in progress" subtitle.

So am I.... :o
  • edited October 2010
    I'd prefer Tom Wilson in the game with a Michael J Fox impersonator than Michael J Fox in the game and no Tom Wilson....

I just don't think Michael J Fox has got it in him anymore....
  • edited October 2010
    I just want to know why half the comments on that video are "waaaaah it's cartoony".

Why do so many people have this ridiculous notion that something has to be photo-realistic to be good or fun?
  • edited October 2010
    If bob gale likes it, and thinks it's great that's good enough for me!

also, I have faith in telltale.
  • edited October 2010
    Is it just me... or does Doc look a lot like Nicholas Cage?
  • edited October 2010
    That's awesome! I love it. I love the basic plot they mentioned for the story. Sounds like a very natural idea for what could happen after the trilogy ended.

Can't wait for Part 2!
  • edited October 2010
    Why isn't Doc's movements following Loyds? The guy is physically acting, as they record him... I hope they follow him at least a little, so that they can do some better animations for the final cut. How much more truthful can you get than following what he's acting out? Right now it looks like a monkey trying to gesture along human emotions, conversation...
  • edited October 2010
    Part 2, 'Hey McFly!' is live now! Check it out on our blog!
  • edited October 2010
    doodo! wrote: »
    Why isn't Doc's movements following Loyds? The guy is physically acting, as they record him... I hope they follow him at least a little, so that they can do some better animations for the final cut. How much more truthful can you get than following what he's acting out? Right now it looks like a monkey trying to gesture along human emotions, conversation...

That's how some voice actors do it, they like to make movements and gestures as they read the lines so they can get into character better. They don't do it for the animators benefit, that's a different department all together.
  • edited October 2010
    Thanks for sharing. That takes the edge off of wondering if it's going to be MJ Fox or not. Now we have time to warm up to the idea. He does a pretty good job for sure. It's great seeing Loyd behind the scenes. We need more of that, it's a real treat to watch him. It definitely adds to my excitement for this project.

I hope to see some behind the scenes work from other reoccurring talents involved.

THANKS FOR SHARING!
  • edited October 2010
    doodo! wrote: »

I do hope that, at least for the cutscenes, they take the time to hand animate Doc. I know Telltale's animation is based a lot on systemic application of pre-animated cues, but Christopher Lloyd's acting is so dynamic that they really need to do a lot more manual stuff to really make the character work.

Also, I have no complaints so far about that Marty voice.
  • edited October 2010
    The Marty voice is definitely "good enough". It doesn't sound bad, though also not "super amazing". I'm sure after a bit of playtime he'll sink in. I *just* watched the first film, so every minor difference in how he says lines is pretty evident to me. =P
  • edited October 2010
    Wow, an unknown playing Marty. Brave choice, and well done!
  • edited October 2010
    Looks good! Wish mjf was doing the voice but glad that chris is there! Hope more actors come aboard. The guy doing marty sounds like him when his voice gets higher but normal talking I can tell the difference.
  • edited October 2010
    bttf1985cc wrote: »
    I guess they will be putting part 2 up on monday, is this the info TT was talking about releasing? since it wasnt posted on TT blog.
    What are you talking about? Part 2 is up on the blog right now. :confused:
  • edited October 2010
    WOW! That Marty voice is great! Great casting choice, Telltale. Now, let's see if Wilson came aboard...

Shame Dominic Armato didn't play Marty though, lol. :P

EDIT: By the way, why are lines from the movie being used? "The bruise on your head. I know how that happened...", or was that the audition? But then the VA for Marty says "I get to say"WHAT THE HELL IS A GIGAWATT?" and they're like "Yeah, record that!"". Or was he just making a funny? Maybe I'm just looking too much into it, we know that this game is NOT a retelling of the movies after all.
  • edited October 2010
    The Marty voice is excellent, I was really worried about replacing MJF because his voice is so unique, but this guy is great! You all can check out A.J. Locascio's voice reel on YouTube for more of his Marty voice, he can really sound identical to MJF at the normal tone, too. I just hope that Tom Wilson is on board, then this game is golden in my opinion! This game seems like it's going to rock, I can't wait.
  • edited October 2010
  • edited October 2010
    I think his Jack Sparrow is better than his Marty McFly. :P

He's really close, though, and I think he'll be really good for the part.
  • edited October 2010
    A.J. goes into full Marty McFly mode when he is recording his 'normal speaking voice' lines. His normal speech stuff in the video is just him speaking as himself.

Honestly, A.J. sounds amazing in the role! You guys have NOTHING to worry about.
    edited October 2010
    LoCascio is a great choice. A young, new hero to start the series anew. :D
  • edited October 2010
    WOW! That Marty voice is great! Great casting choice, Telltale. Now, let's see if Wilson came aboard...

Shame Dominic Armato didn't play Marty though, lol. :P

EDIT: By the way, why are lines from the movie being used? "The bruise on your head. I know how that happened...", or was that the audition? But then the VA for Marty says "I get to say"WHAT THE HELL IS A GIGAWATT?" and they're like "Yeah, record that!"". Or was he just making a funny? Maybe I'm just looking too much into it, we know that this game is NOT a retelling of the movies after all.

Maybe they sum up the movies a bit in flashbacks?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.