Who else has trouble comprehending BttF is an 80's movie?

edited October 2010 in Back to the Future
Everytime someone/something reminds me that BttF was made in 1984/85 I get an 'oh snap' moment.
The movie was way ahead of it's time. Great effects and good camera quality.

Really, it looks as if it has been made in 1995 rather than a decade earlier.

Comments

• edited October 2010
    ...You're kidding, right? Watching the film is like getting a pure injection of pure, liquefied 80s injected RIGHT into your eyeballs. What "80s films" have YOU been watching?
  • edited October 2010
    I dunno....I don't live in the US. Maybe that plays a role in this.

But if you compare this with other 80's movies like Ghostbusters and Beverly Hills Cop, they have these unsharp visuals.

This movie has crisp sound and video and special effects that have aged real well...unlike Ghostbusters. I dunno....maybe I am talking nonsense.
  • edited October 2010
    This movie has crisp sound and video and special effects that have aged real well...unlike Ghostbusters. I dunno....maybe I am talking nonsense.

The thing with special effects is that there really aren't many in BttF, and those that are there... well, most of them are not of the highest quality. Granted, DeLorean before the time travel, flying DeLorean, and lightnings (I suppose they're special effects) all look great, most of the non-practical special effects, like Marty's dissolving arm, fire swooping between the legs of Doc and Marty and stuff didn't look good in the 80s in the first place.
  • edited October 2010
    Well it is pretty 80s, not just the visuals we have movies from the 90s and 2000s that look worse than Star Wars from the 70's...

Though I'm probably one of few people who think Star Wars has aged gracefully.
  • edited October 2010
    Though I'm probably one of few people who think Star Wars has aged gracefully.

Visually Star Wars looks good. But I think the clothing and sound gives away its age.
  • edited October 2010
    Granted BTTF has aged gracefully. I might mistaken it for the 90s.
  • edited October 2010
    BTTF is 80's pure.

There are a lot more interesting movies which aged way better like Das Boot, Le Grand Bleu, Flashdance *kidding*, Down by Law, ...
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2010
    I agree it's aged gracefully, but that might be because so much of it doesn't take place in the 80s...

Regarding special effects - Marty looking through his disappearing hand during Earth Angel always cracks me up. It's like he has a hole in his hand.
  • edited October 2010
    ^
    I always found that to be a very powerful special effect.
    Dunno how they could've done it in another way.

He was fading from existence. =P
  • edited October 2010
    Taumel, you mentioned "Down By Law"!

You rock! :)
  • edited October 2010
    BTTF has 80's style but 90's production, especially part 3
  • edited October 2010
    a few days ago i talked to a colleague of mine, he watched the bttf movies a few weeks ago for the first time ever. and he was really surprised when i told him, the first movie is from 1985, the second from 89 and so on.

so youre kinda right.
  • edited October 2010
    It has the 80s sheen mostly like Tron.
  • edited October 2010
    @cdf12345
    Ahm BTTF3 is from the 90's. BTTF isn't the worst 80's movie but also easy to identify as beeing from that decade. Might be harder for some due to that the film a.o. doesn't play this much in the present but you don't even need to open your eyes to know how old the movie is, i mean come on, Huey Lewis and the News. Als Deutscher sollte man die Möglichkeit haben, das Spiel mit D-Mark zu bezahlen.

90's movies is already stuff like Pulp Fiction, Dead Man, The Fest, The Big Lebowski, Fight Club, ...
  • edited October 2010
    BTTF has a 80's feeling and setting due to style, music and over all fashion. However that is nothing to do with the technical side of BTTF, such as the good visual effects and sharp quality.

You people who are calling this guy crazy for saying it looks like it perhaps was made in the 90's are totally misunderstanding what he means. He isn't talking about the fashion, he isn't talking about the music and he isn't talking about the overall 80's feel and setting of BTTF, he's talking about the visuals and quality of the movies production.

Yes, I totally agree with you Origami, these visuals to this day look stunning. I cant begin to imagine what people thought of it whilst watching it at a cinema in the 80's.
  • edited October 2010
    evil_rex wrote: »
    I cant begin to imagine what people thought of it whilst watching it at a cinema in the 80's.

Oh i can tell you, they didn't give a damn and just enjoyed the funny story and the 80's music.
  • edited October 2010
    It IS an 80's movie, but because the movie is timeless, you don't point your finger at the TV screen and go "WELL! That's an 80's movie!" at least that's the way I see it. :)
  • edited October 2010
    Back to the Future Part II was cutting edge at the time. The special effect where the 2015 McFly family eat together (where they're all played by MJF) is seamless..There are plenty of movies that wouldn't hold up today compared to Back to the Future. I think it's looks great for it's age.
  • edited October 2010
    You people who are calling this guy crazy for saying it looks like it perhaps was made in the 90's are totally misunderstanding what he means. He isn't talking about the fashion, he isn't talking about the music and he isn't talking about the overall 80's feel and setting of BTTF, he's talking about the visuals and quality of the movies production.

Well...to be honest, I also took the clothing a little into consideration. But I also pointed out in one of my post I live outside of the US.
    So I am not too familiar with what clothing and music comes with which age. So you all experience it differently from me. But I appreciate the support.

But again about the clothing. The clothing seems 90's to me. Marty wears this bright multi-coloured outfit. Also Jennifer looks very modern.

Owh and here is another factor. Technology. Marty carries around this portable JVC. To me that is very 90's. I wouldn't expect to see the Karate Kid, Axel Foley walk around with something that modern.

So to sum up:
    Great visuals and sound
    Marty and Jennifer's clothing
    Technology

Really...it feels so much modern than the likes of Karate Kid, Beverly Hills Cop, Ghostbusters, Goonies
  • edited October 2010
    Origami wrote: »
    But again about the clothing. The clothing seems 90's to me. Marty wears this bright multi-coloured outfit. Also Jennifer looks very modern.
    Believe me, from a US perspective, the clothing and hairstyles of these characters are very 80s. Culturally, the 80s section of the film seems so 80s to a person with a US-centric cultural viewpoint to think that it is as much a period piece as the actual period piece 50s section. And it just gets far, far worse in the second film when they travel to an obviously 80s-inspired vision of the future. =P
    Oh and here is another factor. Technology. Marty carries around this portable JVC. To me that is very 90's. I wouldn't expect to see the Karate Kid, Axel Foley walk around with something that modern.
    The technology was relatively new to the consumer market, but it had been floating around for a few years ahead of time and that Doc Brown had one in late 1985 isn't really all that impressive.

Another thing is that there is a look to 80s film(and by "film" I mean the actual physical stuff they recorded the image onto) that gives an 80s film away. I'm not sure if I can describe it. Maybe I'll get some picture comparisons up if anybody cares.
  • edited October 2010
    And it just gets far, far worse in the second film when they travel to an obviously 80s-inspired vision of the future. =P

I purposely left Bttf part 2 and 3 out since they were made at the end of the decade.
    Bttf's development started in 1984?

First paragraph of yours explained much.
    Another thing is that there is a look to 80s film(and by "film" I mean the actual physical stuff they recorded the image onto) that gives an 80s film away. I'm not sure if I can describe it. Maybe I'll get some picture comparisons up if anybody cares.

I was thinking the exact opposite. The film and sound quality is what set itself apart.
    But you are welcome to post. I am curious to see what you mean.

Okay guys, while I was writing this I came up with the perfect example that proves my point or rather helps you see what I am getting at/seeing.

Watch Terminator 1(1984 so only a year apart). Let the synthesizer music soak in. The grainy visuals, the fluffy big haircuts, typical 80's special effects. And then watch BttF.
  • edited October 2010
    I purposely left Bttf part 2 and 3 out since they were made at the end of the decade.
    Bttf's development started in 1984?

First paragraph of yours explained much.

I was thinking the exact opposite. The film and sound quality is what set itself apart.
    But you are welcome to post. I am curious to see what you mean.

Okay guys, while I was writing this I came up with the perfect example that proves my point or rather helps you see what I am getting at/seeing.

Watch Terminator 1(1984 so only a year apart). Let the synthesizer music soak in. The grainy visuals, the fluffy big haircuts, typical 80's special effects. And then watch BttF.

I agree, great example. Terminator 1 is very very 80's in my opinion. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is this quality that completely separates Terminator from Back to the Future..BTTF looks more late 80's if anything. It still holds up magnificently because it's doesn't scream 80's as much as..let's say Footloose,lol. I think there are certain subtleties that let you know BTTF is an 80's film, for example Marty's shoes, and the music. I think BTTF has superior special effects compared to other 80's films, it was ahead of it's time in my opinion.
  • edited October 2010
    Actually if you have lived in the 80's, it yells 80's whenever the film also plays in its present, the haircuts, jeans, suspenders, jackets, buttons, the life jacket, shoes, colours, blue screen scenes, ... 80's pure but to its fortune only a minority of the film also plays in the present. A good movie but also not the best of its decade. What i'm surprised of are the special effects some refer to. I remember beeing amazed by TRON or the Aliens design but i never thought of BTTF as beeing a great special effects film. Which scenes do you have in mind?
  • edited October 2010
    It also helps that a lot of present day fashion and style calls back to 80's fashion. One day, we'll be looking at The Mighty Ducks and be totally unable to distinguish it from the future.

Ok, maybe not. But yeah, a lot of it has to do with the 80's references in current styles.
  • edited October 2010
    The special effect regarding the Delorean. Like when it lights up and it gets that fire spark in front of itself. The fire trails especially the last one. Or when it's frozen.

And the make-up is very good and convincing.

But I think the main reason here is, like somebody already pointed out, it's not that the movie has very good special effects, it's just that the movie has none bad ones.

Owh w..w..wait....how about the last part where the Delorean flies? That one is amazing for its time.
  • edited October 2010
    It also helps that a lot of present day fashion and style calls back to 80's fashion. One day, we'll be looking at The Mighty Ducks and be totally unable to distinguish it from the future.

Ok, maybe not. But yeah, a lot of it has to do with the 80's references in current styles.

Maybe. But the movie just had a lot of denim clothes going on. And I was born in 1988 and I remember all through the 90's everybody wearing a lot denim. Jeans, denim jackets. All that blue....
  • edited October 2010
    Dunno, one of those blue screen scenes which look weird at the edges, no depth and with artificial lightning but so were the 80's and many movies afterwards as well. Maybe the biggest plus of the effects are that they don't stand out too much and just fit fine into the film. I remember two situations which looked kind of cheap to me, Marty's dissapearing hand and the photo with the vanishing family member. In BTTF2 the hover board was cool though.
  • edited October 2010
    Why is Marty's hand dissapearing cheap? I never had trouble with that Special effect. I mean he IS dissapearing right?
  • edited October 2010
    Because it doesn't look good. It's a flat and uninteresting blending. There certainly are many ways how to visualise that something dissapears. It doesn't has to be like Hollow Man as well but these weren't BTTF's best scenes.
  • edited October 2010
    The worst part about Marty's hand disappearing for me is the placement and motion of the hand. It doesn't look like it's connected to his arm when his shoulder is moving completely differently.

Doesn't hurt my enjoyment of the movie at all, of course.
  • edited October 2010
    AFAIK, Gale and Zemeckis were very disappointed themselves with the hand disappearing effect (I think they said it on a commentary or something like that), and we all know that this little scene could've been done so much better.
  • edited October 2010
    I don't have any trouble comprehending that it is an 80's movie as it really clearly is an 80's movie. :D

What I always laugh about is the optimism in the 80's how the near future will be.
    I sadly doubt we'll see any flying cars in 2015 and our cars will be pretty much still be running on petrol.
    Though luckily I can't see us going fashion-wise in the direction that Doc was wearing at the end of Part I (or start of Part II ;))
  • edited October 2010
    I imagine this beeing a wonderful job, beeing responsible for thinking out all the things which might be used on a daily basis in the future.
  • edited October 2010
    taumel wrote: »
    Actually if you have lived in the 80's, it yells 80's whenever the film also plays in its present, the haircuts, jeans, suspenders, jackets, buttons, the life jacket, shoes, colours, blue screen scenes, ... 80's pure but to its fortune only a minority of the film also plays in the present. A good movie but also not the best of its decade. What i'm surprised of are the special effects some refer to. I remember beeing amazed by TRON or the Aliens design but i never thought of BTTF as beeing a great special effects film. Which scenes do you have in mind?

I'm still amazed by Tron, I thought that film was done beautifully. I enjoyed Aliens too. But the scenes I was talking about in reguard to special effects were when the Delorean time travels the first time, the make up for the McFly family, the 2015 McFly family, the hoverboard chase, the flying Delorean, the stages of Hill Valley through time, all that stuff :)
  • edited October 2010
    Yeah TRON still is awesome, like Forbidden Planet. I'm very much looking forward to TRON 2.

Puhh can't remember that scene exactly...*google*

Ahh okay...this scene (delorean time travel) also shows pretty well what's good and bad about BTTF, special effects wise. I really like how physical the scene feels, the remote control, especially the colour/design/glowing of the digital display, the interieur of the car, the smoke, the blue lightning (only the one of the car).

But it also has its cons like the rather ugly violet lightning in front of the car, bad looking explosion cloud, furious wind in the hair of both actors but not on the flames, really bad blue screen scene when they are floating without any shadows over the ground.

BTTF in my opinion and beside of the blue lightning does the best jobs on those tiny less spectacular effects and the camera and the scenes.
  • edited October 2010
    ^
    I am not arguing that BttF looks like a recent movie. Ofcourse the SE are not perfect.
    But most of the effects you listed weren't any better mid 90's right?

Or am I wrong?

I mean, rewatch The Matrix(1999) and you'll see how apparent the CG is.
  • edited October 2010
    I think they generally constantly improved, although those blue/green screen scenes surprisingly still can be an issue. Matrix had a few copied in looking scenes but not as harsh as those of BTTF. I think the worst looking scene in Matrix was this sock like thing they sticked over Neo's mouth.

BTTF has some scenes which falll in the worse than home video category looking at it from today.

bttf.jpg
  • edited October 2010
    Visually Star Wars looks good. But I think the clothing and sound gives away its age.

Yeah and they look great for it. 70's style was way better than the stuff we've gotta wear these days!

But I think Beverly Hills Cop looks more modern than BTTF, anyway.
  • edited October 2010
    ^
    You serious? With all the old car models and Harold Feltemeyer's synthesizer music?
  • edited October 2010
    Great music from the 80's... dududuutduuu or from the 70's whisteling and 80's again (great movie).
Sign in to comment in this discussion.