THE 'Why I won't be preordering BTTF' Thread

edited November 2010 in Back to the Future
As much as I want to play a game based on one of my favourite franchises I won't be preordering BTFF because of the way I felt a bit burned by Sam & Max season 3. I've preoredred most of what Telltale has released since Sam & Max started but during the run of season 3 I wondered why I bothered. I realise that when I buy a brand new game it is likely to be on sale for less money somewhere like steam in not too short a time. The thing that really bothered me was that Sam & Max went on sale with a massive discount before the season was even half over. As much as I want to support Telltale and love what they do, when I buy something i don't expect it to be discounted before I even have everything I paid for.

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Yeah that does seem to happen a lot. Heck I have half of wallace and gromit for free.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited October 2010
    I'm with you in at least some respects, but please keep this in the pre-order thread or at least the "I'm done preordering"-thread. You might also want to keep in mind:
    • If you don't want to pay 24.95$ for this game - which I consider a great price - no one, literally no one is forcing you to.
    • Games distributed mainly via internet might naturally drop in price a little faster than retail releases.
    • If previous after-release offers have damaged this pre-release sale, Telltale will recognize this by their sales statistics alone, so there's really no need for a formal no-order announcement (and definitly no need for one thread per non-customer). ;)
  • edited October 2010
    Well, at least his time, you know a bit of your money is going directly the Micheal J Fox team. It's kinda cool right ?
  • edited October 2010
    Panda90 wrote: »
    As much as I want to play a game based on one of my favourite franchises I won't be preordering BTFF because of the way I felt a bit burned by Sam & Max season 3. I've preoredred most of what Telltale has released since Sam & Max started but during the run of season 3 I wondered why I bothered. I realise that when I buy a brand new game it is likely to be on sale for less money somewhere like steam in not too short a time. The thing that really bothered me was that Sam & Max went on sale with a massive discount before the season was even half over. As much as I want to support Telltale and love what they do, when I buy something i don't expect it to be discounted before I even have everything I paid for.

I can see your point there actually, I'd never thought of it like that. I'm still glad I preordered though, the community is cool and it was nice to get the first few episodes before the discounted folk.
  • edited October 2010
    I've preoredred most of what Telltale has released since Sam & Max started but during the run of season 3 I wondered why I bothered. I realise that when I buy a brand new game it is likely to be on sale for less money somewhere like steam in not too short a time.

And this will always be the case. In stores too. What can you do about it? Wait forever for something to get cheaper and cheaper? You have to draw a line somewhere.
    And if you are a Sam and Max fan or like TellTales work I don't think 35/5 = 7 dollars an episode is much asked for.

In this case preordering BttF is 25/5 = 5 dollars a chapter. I don't feel cheated out at all and will not if it get discounted. I am willing to pay 5 dollars for games of a franchise I love.
  • edited October 2010
    god, i hate those "i wont preorder/buy because"-threads.

i wont buy it, because i want to play it on my xbox (although i might have a good pc and/or a ps3)
    i wont buy it, because it has no foreign subtitles
    i wont buy it, because im sure it gets cheaper in no time
    i wont buy it, because im a scrooge
    i wont buy it, because i dont wanna buy it
    i wont buy it, because i wanna be in contrast to the majority. i wanna be special.
  • edited October 2010
    Don't forget "I won't buy it 'cause it doesn't have a TF2 item!"

I'm actually not buying it because I can't afford it yet. But I'm interested in the game and plan to do so in the future. The guy they got to do Marty sounds amazing.
  • edited October 2010
    How about if you won't buy it, keep your goddamn mouth shut? :p After all, I'm not likely to go and buy women's hygiene products but I don't go to their product websites and tell them I'm not doing it...
  • edited October 2010
    Foxhack wrote: »
    Don't forget "I won't buy it 'cause it doesn't have a TF2 item!"

I'm actually not buying it because I can't afford it yet. But I'm interested in the game and plan to do so in the future. The guy they got to do Marty sounds amazing.

Really? I pre-ordered for just incase of TF2 items. :P
  • edited October 2010
    I don't know..if BTTF does not make it on the XBLA then I'm not going to be happy at all! and alot of XBOX360 owners will be too!
  • edited October 2010
    Wow.

Look at it this way, by paying a little more, you get to be one of the first to play it months before everyone else who are waiting on a price drop!

Well, I did that with Telltale's first game... ><
    I had to wait a couple of years.

So that's the question...
    Are you absolutely sure you are able to wait months.. maybe even years for a price drop on the upcoming Back to the Future game?

I would have saved the "It doesn't look that interesting. I'll wait on a price drop" if there would be some other games that doesn't look that interesting or that I'm too eager to play. It's a known fact that Telltale releases the game to those who preordered it hours before the launch too. And you get Puzzle Agent for gifting or for yourself. I think it's a perfect xmas gift for my sister.
  • edited October 2010
    And remember that you miss the whole "Episodic Experience" - and that's A LOT.
    Trust me, playing the game as the creators wanted is much better.
    edited October 2010
    jannar85 wrote: »
    Are you absolutely sure you are able to wait months.. maybe even years for a price drop on the upcoming Back to the Future game?

YEARS? You haven't been around much here, have you? ;)
  • edited November 2010
    OP: good for you, but you don't really need to start your own thread on it as there are many others on the topic.

Others: don't be heckling the individual for not wanting to preorder and calling him a scrooge and such. sure it's silly they're making a thread about it, but don't be a dick about it back.
  • edited November 2010
    The same happens with pretty much every game. Look at something that's really popular at the moment, like, say New Vegas. Why are so many people bothering to buy that when by Christmas it will be a fraction of the price.. or if they wait a little longer than that, you'll be able to buy a "GoTY" version for even cheaper with all of the downloadable content included, instead of having to pay for it separately.

Sam & Max Season 3 did drop in price rather annoyingly quickly, but it still isn't any different from most other games. Personally, I'm very happy to support the developers and be a part of the community as the episodes are being released.
  • edited November 2010
    This thread is fine, but if you see anybody making a new one like this, send them here please. Thanks.
  • edited November 2010
    I pre-ordered it because I guess most TellTale employees have kids to feed so I wouldn't dare sending them into poverty ;)
  • edited November 2010
    And remember that you miss the whole "Episodic Experience" - and that's A LOT.
    Trust me, playing the game as the creators wanted is much better.

What is this "episodice experience"?
    Does it refer to the fact that you have to wait a period?
  • edited November 2010
    Origami wrote: »
    What is this "episodice experience"?
    Does it refer to the fact that you have to wait a period?

Yes, but the "experience" he's talking about means that you will find a lot of speculation on the forums in between episodes.
  • edited November 2010
    ^
    I see. Yeah, that is a fun aspect. =)
  • edited November 2010
    I don't know if I'm going to pre-order because I haven't decided if my laptop will run the thing.

That, and if Telltale drops prices on games quicker than most companies, it might be worth holding out for a while, even though it'll pain me not playing the game with all the other cool kids (hey... I did that with Borderlands on the 360 and they've already released versions with the DLC included).
  • edited November 2010
    I certainly hope that there is some sort of pre-order only bonus, either upon release or season completion. It just occured to me that there's no other reason to pre-order a downloadable game otherwise since it's downloadable, so it's not like it's gonna get sold out?!

In any case, I pre-ordered also to show my support to Telltale.
  • edited November 2010
    ^
    There is a reason now. Every monday up until the release of the game special offers are released on the exclusive board. For instance we received a code for 50% off of the Bone Bundle.
  • edited November 2010
    I didn't hesitate at all to pre-order, as I have with almost all of Telltale's games, because I love the company so much. Someone stated earlier that they've gotten half the Wallace and Gromit games for free... well I actually have all of them for free, plus now Puzzle Agent with the BttF pre-order. I feel good supporting a company that's willing to reward me with awesome content and occasional free games.

(I swear, nobody paid me to write this)
  • edited November 2010
    I think a lot of you may have misunderstood me. I have absolutely no problem with a game I already own going on sale for less than I paid for it; that's just the nature of digital distribution. My problem with the last season of Sam & Max was that it was deeply discounted long before the season was over, before I got what I spent my money on.
  • OMAOMA
    edited November 2010
    Well, you don't have to preorder if you don't want to, but still get the first episode for free from this link:

http://www.telltalegames.com/cart/add/backtothefuture-bluraydemo

I bet you will be buying the "season upgrade" when you're finished with the first episide ;)
  • edited November 2010
    Well I'm hardly likely to turn down free stuff now am I?
  • edited November 2010
    I've said it before, I'll say it again, I'd gladly pay $50 for a season of a Telltale game.
  • edited November 2010
    I've said it before, I'll say it again, I'd gladly pay $50 for a season of a Telltale game.

That's because they are worth it.
    edited November 2010
    Preordering won me a DeLorean model with lights and sound. What can I say? I don't regret it! :D
  • edited November 2010
    Pretty far-fetched thought, but maybe the price the game costs right now, is also preorder-exclusive. i mean, look at the prices of their earlier releases, bttf costs 10 bucks less.

why are they doing this? because they like us so much? because they alread earned too much money? because they assume the salenumbers will be f*cking unbelievable high? because the whole complete game is a lot shorter then any of their earlier season releases? (god, i hope not) because they're aware of that they discounted some games way too early and wont do that ever again? hmmm...

would be interesting to know why the game's so damn cheap :confused:

edit:
    i won't preorder, 'cause i already have preordered
  • edited November 2010
    ^
    Or maybe it's a pre-order bonus and the full season when it's out will retail for 30 dollars or something.
  • edited November 2010
    OMA wrote: »
    Well, you don't have to preorder if you don't want to, but still get the first episode for free from this link:

http://www.telltalegames.com/cart/add/backtothefuture-bluraydemo

I bet you will be buying the "season upgrade" when you're finished with the first episide ;)

You can't season upgrade from that.
  • edited November 2010
    But the full season costs about as much as your average Telltale season upgrade, so it's LIKE upgrading! :D
  • edited November 2010
    I love Telltale games and think $24.95 for a whole series is very reasonable. I haven't even had a chance to play all of Sam and Max S3 yet (I have a one year old son who sucks up all my time now!) but I'm still glad I pre-ordered it...

There's something kind of fun about getting things first...

I live in Australia too, so retail games here are really expensive - like $70+ (not sure what it's like in the US). In comparison, Telltale games are cheap!
  • edited November 2010
    MissKirsty wrote: »
    I live in Australia too, so retail games here are really expensive - like $70+ (not sure what it's like in the US)
    Here, most new release games are $60 USD on 360/PS3, and $50 USD on PC and Wii. The average "discounted", "Player's Choice/Platinum/etc", or "bargain" game is $20-30.
  • edited November 2010
    Strayth wrote: »
    Well, at least his time, you know a bit of your money is going directly the Micheal J Fox team. It's kinda cool right ?

Yes, but if you were that concerned, the money you would save by waiting for a sale could be donated instead of the single dollar.
  • edited November 2010
    few reasons why I pre-ordered:
    -You have the game on the first day. Can't wait to play it.
    -I support this game genre and I support Telltalegames. And their games are already pretty cheap. (when is the last time you had so much fun for 20~30 dollars/euro's). Games these day cost over 50/60 dollars. But not Telltale games. That's why I don't mind paying "the full price".

also there is the extras DVD of course if you order via TellTale. Don't get that through Steam...
  • edited November 2010
    YEARS? You haven't been around much here, have you? ;)
    I've been here since the early start ;) And BttF is a pretty huge title, so it might just not drop in price at all.

:see join date ;)

Years was maybe a little too much, though :eek:
    Actually, it was to scare fans to pre-order ;p
  • edited November 2010
    Why is everyone going at him like a pack of wolves? I think it's fair that at least some one would find it annoying to buy a game for like 40 dollars and see it come out shortly later for 15.

Just for example.

It might not bother some of you but give the guy a break. It's not like anything is going to change but really, that is pretty bad business on our end. :D

Some people are excited, enthusiastic enough to pay the 40 dollars, that's fine, you voice it in more ways than one, so stop being jerks and let him speak his mind.

Save some dignity for your own opinion, geeze...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.