LucasArts to make curse special edition?

the guybrush skin in the force unleashed 2 looked a lot like the Guybrush in curse of monkey island.is this hinting that they might make a curse of monkey island special edition with the same kind of look as the skin?

Comments

• edited October 2010
    I recall there being a thread about this already.

But in my opinion, I think the Guybrush costume in Force Unleashed II was more fan-service then a hint towards a special edition, but hey, I could be wrong.
  • edited November 2010
    Fan service eh? But why CMI? Why not MI2? Why not EMI? Why not TMI? Something isn't adding up.
  • edited November 2010
    Oh, I get it!

Guybrush will turn to the dark side.
  • edited November 2010
    What's the point? The biggest addition to the Special Editions was that they had drawn graphics, and used the voice actors from Curse. Curse already HAS drawn graphics and the voice actors from Curse.
  • edited November 2010
    The main point would be widescreen support and having it run properly in newer versions of Windows without the use of ScummVM. Also, a remake of Curse would use DirectX, which would make streaming the game so much easier.
  • edited November 2010
    Id like to hear commentry on CMI like MI2 SE. Maybe from Bill Tiller and the writers or directors of CMI.
  • edited November 2010
    If there will be a SE, I want the missing cutscenes.
  • edited November 2010
    ^ agree 100% on that, dude.
  • edited November 2010
    MI1:SE
    MI2:SE

and then hopefully
    CMI:HD Extended version* :P

*widescreen

Of course, that would mean they would rescan and paint more on the backgrounds, and walkable areas and stuff. But still, that would be awesome. And higher quality on speech and music, maybe..

Actually, when I think of it, I wouldn't mind paying full price for that.

Oh, and Ron Gilbert's Monkey Island 3 would be more awesome...
  • edited November 2010
    If they did include the missing cutscenes, I would want an option to turn them on or off. I'd probably play with them on once, just to see them, but I would mainly want to play a full widescreen version of the original game with more colors.
  • edited November 2010
    comparison2.jpg
  • edited November 2010
    mgrant wrote: »
    ^ agree 100% on that, dude'ess.

Fixed. :p

Took me some time to learn that Mickey is a she. :)

But as for CMI, as I have said before, better resolution, better sound and music and the missing cutscenes. That is all the remake the game needs. :)
  • edited November 2010
    Took me some time to learn the Mickey is a she. :)

What?! o_O

Seriously, there needs to be a field for gender in our user info, this sort of thing happens way too often.
  • edited November 2010
    I agree, as you may be able tell from my user title.

Also: must we really have another thread about this? Can't we just revive one of the various other older threads about the same topic? Like this one, or perhaps this one here? I just feel like we're going over the exact same points as we have before.
  • edited November 2010
    Hayden wrote: »
    I just feel like we're going over the exact same points as we have before.

So what else is new?
  • edited November 2010
    So what else is new?

Hah, good point. It happens all the time, doesn't it? I find myself repeating the same points so often in separate threads. Actually, sometimes I repeat myself in the same thread, when some people are too lazy to look through previous pages to see whether or not someone has already posted the same question, query, theory, topic or statement before them before posting, thus triggering the same freaking conversation/discussion again...

[/rant]
  • edited November 2010
    Fixed. :p

Took me some time to learn that Mickey is a she. :)

Haha, thanks for that fix!
    What?! o_O

Seriously, there needs to be a field for gender in our user info, this sort of thing happens way too often.

Yeah... there should be one, that's the beauty of the internet.

Anyhow, we should have one of the CMI:SE threads as a sticky, or something of that sort. Or... was this brought up already in one of the many threads?
  • edited November 2010
    Anyhow, we should have one of the CMI:SE threads as a sticky, or something of that sort. Or... was this brought up already in one of the many threads?

No, I don't think it was, but yes, I agree with you - we should have one of them as a sticky. I would suggest the thread that Irishmile started (as that was the first one).
  • edited November 2010
    I sure hope not. There's nothing wrong with the original version of the classic. There's nothing to add, it's a special game, it's aged beautifully. It was a terrific project that has proven to be timeless. Even if it is aging, it has proven to be a masterpiece in both art and production!

LEAVE IT ALONE. Give us MI 6 if anything.
  • edited November 2010
    lucasarts should remake escape and have Alexandra Boyd voice Elaine to fit the rest of the games.
  • edited November 2010
    hamza721 wrote: »
    lucasarts should remake escape and have Alexandra Boyd voice Elaine to fit the rest of the games.

We made a thread about this a little while back. I don't know where it's currently at.
  • edited November 2010
    They should not only remake MI4. They should make it all over again.
  • edited November 2010
    I don't see how CMI could be improved with a special edition. Also, you can turn your Indiana Jones into Guybrush in Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine :)
  • edited November 2010
    I don't see how CMI could be improved with a special edition.

Well, actually, there is room for improvement, as we have discussed over in this thread.

I don't wanna come across as a control freak, but guys, can we please keep all discussion to the thread in the link, rather than have it spread across three threads?
  • edited July 2011
    if they do make it i wonder will they put the missing song that got cut i think it was called plank of love
  • edited July 2011
    jannar85 wrote: »
    They should not only remake MI4. They should make it all over again.

EfMI:SE

*opening cutscene*
    GB: Hi! I'm Guybrush Threepwood, and I want to be a pirate!
    EM: Guybrush!
    LC: Threepwood!
    JJJ: I don't exist. Carry on.
    HT: I'm a crazy lunatic! Pineapples!
    GB: Papapishu!
    *closing cutscene*
    *credits*
  • edited July 2011
    TomPravetz wrote: »
    EfMI:SE

*opening cutscene*
    GB: Hi! I'm Guybrush Threepwood, and I want to be a pirate!
    EM: Guybrush!
    LC: Threepwood!
    JJJ: I don't exist. Carry on.
    HT: I'm a crazy lunatic! Pineapples!
    GB: Papapishu!
    *closing cutscene*
    *credits*

Wheres Ozzie Mandrill?
  • edited July 2011
    coolsome wrote: »
    Wheres Ozzie Mandrill?

And what's J. Jonah Jameson doing in Monkey Island?
  • edited July 2011
    Ribs wrote: »
    And what's J. Jonah Jameson doing in Monkey Island?

1077322-daveynipperkin_large.jpg
    I NEED PICTURES, THREEPWOOD. PICTURES OF SPIDER-MONKEY!
  • edited July 2011
    coolsome wrote: »
    Wheres Ozzie Mandrill?

Australia. Where he belongs!
  • edited July 2011
    jannar85 wrote: »
    MI1:SE
    MI2:SE

and then hopefully
    CMI:HD Extended version* :P

*widescreen

Of course, that would mean they would rescan and paint more on the backgrounds, and walkable areas and stuff. But still, that would be awesome. And higher quality on speech and music, maybe..

Actually, when I think of it, I wouldn't mind paying full price for that.

Oh, and Ron Gilbert's Monkey Island 3 would be more awesome...

While it may be more work for CMI, they basically redrew everything for the first two SEs, so why not CMI?

I really really hope they do this...While in a way the game has aged pretty well, the resolution is killing me...
  • edited July 2011
    I said it once before and I will say it again. Curse of monkey island is great as it is, and it doesn't need to be remade. Do you really want to see updated versions of something that looks like it was updated? Heck no!
  • edited July 2011
    Leplaya wrote: »
    I said it once before and I will say it again. Curse of monkey island is great as it is, and it doesn't need to be remade. Do you really want to see updated versions of something that looks like it was updated? Heck no!

If they make it like the first 2 SE's you can switch back so then everyone wins. Plus I want to play it on full screen agian.
  • edited July 2011
    Leplaya wrote: »

The key is a higher resolution and better compatibility. CMI looks great at the native resolution (640x480) - but no one works at anything close to that resolution anymore, and it looks pretty bad stretched out. It would be absolutely amazing to have CMI with high resolution graphics, higher quality audio (though this should really only happen for the music since the voices are good as they are), etc...

On top of that, this would also make it available on consoles and mobile platforms (along with native support on modern operating systems), and would bring in a whole new generation of Monkey Island lovers. I realize that the first to SEs may have already done this, but imo CMI is the most visually attractive entry in the series which makes it the most likely to bring in today's very visual-oriented gamers.
  • edited July 2011
    i have the original but lecgdi.dll got an error! the YUSetDIBitsToDeviceError: 87
  • edited July 2011
    Lucoshi wrote: »
    i have the original but lecgdi.dll got an error! the YUSetDIBitsToDeviceError: 87

I'm not sure about that specific error, but try ScummVM - it'll let you play CMI (and most other SCUMM games) on newer computers without much issue.

http://www.scummvm.org/
  • edited July 2011
    I'm not sure about that specific error, but try ScummVM - it'll let you play CMI (and most other SCUMM games) on newer computers without much issue.

http://www.scummvm.org/

That's true, but ScummVM doesn't like the disc change in CMI, causing the game to crash, or the cut-scene for part 3 to have to be skipped.

Though you are right ScummVM is the way to go, just thought I'd also add, that you need to copy the files from your CMI CD's into a set file on your computer and run it from there (on ScummVM) this fixes the game completely. You need all the files from Disc 1 and only the files on Disc 2 that aren't included on Disc 1 or have 2 in there name. I suck at explaining, but there is a full explanation of how to do it online.

Hope that helps.
  • edited July 2011
    Grojak wrote: »
    I suck at explaining.
    Okay

The Curse of Monkey Island on ScummVM in 12 simple steps (Windows)
    A simple guide by Alex IDV
    1. Create a folder called "The Curse of Monkey Island".
    2. Put CD 1 in your disc drive.
    3. Copy the following from the CD to your "The Curse of Monkey Island" folder:
      • COMI.LA0
      • COMI.LA1
      • The folder "RESOURCE"
    4. Put CD 2 in your disc drive.
    5. Copy the following from the CD to your "The Curse of Monkey Island" folder:
      • COMI.LA2
      • The folder "RESOURCE".
    6. Windows will ask you if you want to merge the "RESOURCE" folders. Say yes.
    7. Launch ScummVM. (the latest version can be found here: http://www.scummvm.org/downloads/)
    8. Click "Add game...".
    9. Navigate to your "The Curse of Monkey Island" folder.
    10. Click "Choose".
    11. Click "OK".
    12. Choose "The Curse of Monkey Island" in your ScummVM game list, and click "Start game".
  • edited July 2011
    Escape from monkey island total change is never going to happen. A special edition with the new Elaine (or technically older) voice is much more likely
  • edited August 2011
    I doubt they will make a SE for either games, just for the fact that they aren't as old as the first two, and that the company knows that the 3 and 4 can be still be played

its a battle we may never win, but it would be nice
Sign in to comment in this discussion.