Monkey Island references in recent games

edited November 2010 in Tales of Monkey Island
Monkey Island references isn't exactly new - but it's not like there's a huge amount of them in later games.

I've been playing Fable III lately - lovely little game that. One that features a gazillion readable gravestones all over Albion (the world it takes place in). I haven't read them all yet, because there's just so many of them. Usually they explain how the person died. It said:

"Tried to hold his breath for ten minutes"

I'm fairly certain that's a reference to Monkey Island. So there you have it - someone at Lionhead Studios (perhaps Peter Molyneux himself?) is a Monkey Island fan.

Comments

• edited November 2010
    Hah, that's really cool! Especially seeing as how gravestone reading is a common theme in Monkey Island itself. Speaking of which, it would have been even cooler if the gravestone had a little rhyming poem on it to describe the death.
  • edited November 2010
    Hayden wrote: »
    Hah, that's really cool! Especially seeing as how gravestone reading is a common theme in Monkey Island itself. Speaking of which, it would have been even cooler if the gravestone had a little rhyming poem on it to describe the death.

Some of them do I think.
  • edited November 2010
    Hehe, reminds me of Quest for Glory IV and King's Quest II+.
    Now, about recent games - I can think about the not-too-recent Bone 2, in which Fone Bone, when he looks at a giant cauldron, says 'I think that's the second biggest pot O' soup I've ever seen!'
    There would also be, of course, Force Unleashed, but we have a whole thread about it.
  • edited November 2010
    I played "So Blonde" again yesterday. There's a rug in the city hall where Guybrush's head is woven in. When Sunny looks at it she says: "There's a picture of a young man woven into that rug. Behind him, there's a three-headed monkey. That's bizarre." Furthermore, there's a bar in which several paintings from famous pirates (Blackbeard etc.) are hanging from the wall. The last one in the row is a picture of LeChuck in Monkey Island 2 (from the box art) with his beard flaming.
    That, and a couple of other things. ;)
  • edited November 2010
    I remember there were quite a few in Jack Keane, which isn't surprising seeing as how the writers of Jack Keane relied on referencing other games and films for about 90% of their jokes and humour. I can't remember what the references were specifically, probably because they weren't funny, but there were definitely some in there.
  • edited November 2010
    I met "Guybrushe Threepewoode" in Lord of the Rings Online once... (It was a fellow player, tho, not a proper in-game reference.)

He had a great hat!

-The Gneech :cool:
  • edited November 2010
    There's a LeChuck like pirate in Ceville.
  • edited November 2010
    Also guys, we of course can't forget Tim Schafer's little revisit to the stump joke in 'Psychonauts'. (As well as in 'Grim Fandango').
Sign in to comment in this discussion.