BTTF "Directed" gameplay

2»

Comments

• edited November 2010
    But I hope for the sake of people that are not big fans of the franchise that the puzzles will deliver.

It's not an original licence, it's a sequel. People who never watched the movies can just ... Well watch them, otherwise there's no point to even play the game.

Moreover, after playing the last Sam and Max with a joypad, who could doubt BTTF will be anything but incredible ?
  • edited November 2010
    It's not an original licence, it's a sequel. People who never watched the movies can just ... Well watch them, otherwise there's no point to even play the game.

Doesn't matter. TellTale already stated that this game would be developed with accessiblity to fans as well as to newcomers.
  • edited November 2010
    TellTale already stated that this game would be developed with accessiblity to fans as well as to newcomers.

It's something to be expected, even, given all the TT's record. I mean, you don't HAVE to be previously a fan of S&M, MI, Bone, Strong Bad/Homestar Runner to enjoy the games, right? Same thing with BttF and, obviously, Jurassic Park.
  • edited November 2010
    I don't really see how you can enjoy Tales of Monkey Island nor Back to the future if you have absolutely no idea what's going on...

Two solutions (and two only)

1) Everything that is obvious is being stated everytime, and it's irritating beyond belief for those who already knew that

2) There's tons of references that absolutely nobody could get without knowing the universe first (hello there, Tales of Monkey Island)

I mean yeah I guess you could play it, meaning that you don't NEED knowledge of things from those universe to actually finish the games.

But to enjoy it and appreciate it the way you're supposed to, sorry but it's pretty hard to believe.

It's like, "geez a time traveling delorean appears out of nowhere !" "I gotta find Doc !!"

Who in the world could get what's going on if he has no idea what the movies are ?

PLaying the Blade Runner game ? Sure (a game with all the background explained, whole new story, new characters, easter eggs and references sure but not only) ! Playing a SEQUEL to BTTF with the same characters is not really helping "new comers".

But it's just my opinion.

BTW, as for the gameplay of the game, after trying Sam and Max with a joypad, I gotta say I'm pretty impressed. It's really great ! (compared to how horrible it is with the keyboard / mouse)

So the BTTF game should really be epic, we should have a lot of different scenes. I'm sure it will be incredible ^^ .
  • edited November 2010
    Strong Bad/Homestar Runner to enjoy the games, right?[/quote0

I dunno about Strong Bad. Its sense of humour is pretty niche. I only liked it(played ep 1 only) for the humour part that was aimed at gamers. And I thought the puzzles were fun and the collectables going for 100% and getting the highest title. But I see myself going through the other games of TellTale much faster.
    I don't really see how you can enjoy Tales of Monkey Island nor Back to the future if you have absolutely no idea what's going on...

I do. I have played ToM1 and Curse but if you ask me anything plot related I couldn't answer it. I just know it had crafty clever puzzles. Inside jokes I'd probably not get and I don't know any details from the characters' background. Still...I am sure I'd like Tales.
    It's a 'swashbuckling' adventure lol. I like the pirate theme and exotic locations. It's a world I'd want to explore.

In the same sense I see BttF appealing to people that haven't seen the movie. You only need to be a fan of time-traveling(stories), have nostalgia towards the 80's or an appreciation for retro. Owh and I am sure that a lot of adventure fans have been waiting for a 'realistic' adventure game from TellTale. I am sure a lot of people have a reason to try out BttF even though they haven't seen the movies. Granted they probably are not going to get the most out of it and miss out on references to the trilogy.

It's the same for me and Jurassic Park. I have only seen movie 1 once. I am not a particular fan, but I am still really looking forward to how TellTale is going to handle the license. A more realistic game with dinosaurs at the center with probably a sense of tension, survival, action really appeals to me.
  • edited November 2010
    Strayth, Tales of Monkey Island is actually a perfectly good example of how to make things clear to the one who doesn't know a thing about the series.

The prologue clearly and quickly establishes the characters and the relationships between them, and then goes on with it's own story which will be clear, enjoyable and funny to EVERYBODY, whether they played the previous four MI games or not.

References and in-jokes which fans would understand are all nice touches, but if a game is to hold only on the references, then it's a bad game with a bad story and bad jokes/humor.

Heck, my first MI game was Escape from Monkey Island, for example. Or, for example, I thoroughly enjoyed the Witcher game without actually reading the Witcher novels (and the Witcher game takes place after the novels and can be considered what you call a 'sequel'), though it too had a lot of information that only those who read the books would appreciate. And so on and so on, there can be many other examples. The point is, to make something enjoyable and totally understandable both to fans and newcomers is a very possible thing to do, not to mention a very right and professional one.
  • edited November 2010
    Ideally, this game will be hugely successful, than they will release an enormous budget BTTF game, where you can alter the world in open world setting by going on quests in different time periods. Like Chrono Trigger, except more expansive and with amazing graphics. :)
  • edited November 2010
    Strayth wrote: »

I think plenty of people know what Back to the Future is. Even if they haven't seen the movies, I'm sure they have heard of it from somewhere. Besides, if they play the games and then like them. They might just go check out the movies. ;)
  • edited November 2010
    leon101 wrote: »
    I think plenty of people know what Back to the Future is. Even if they haven't seen the movies, I'm sure they have heard of it from somewhere. Besides, if they play the games and then like them. They might just go check out the movies. ;)

Exactly. When I first played the first episode of ToMI, I had only played Curse before that. I loved the second episode so much that it got me hooked on the rest of the series, and I began to understand all the in-jokes of the series.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited November 2010
    For what it's worth, even though the game will be accessible to people with a rather faint knowledge of the triology, I doubt that many people will play this game without ever having seen Back to the Future. Seriously, has someone here bought the Ghostbusters game without actually knowing the movie(s)?

The licence draws new people in who are naturally familiar with the movies, and the Telltale fans who hadn't seen the BTTF movies before - Hayden, for example - have already made sure that they're up to speed. :D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.