You know, I like the IDEA of Ozzie Mandrill...

...I just felt like they overdid the insult games and Worf effect. The idea of a villain whose greatest scheme is cultural assimilation that can defeat his opponents by confusing them with obscure slang strikes me as a decent enough addition to the MI universe.

The big thing they need to fix is have him be rivals with LeChuck, and have it be an intense, close rivalry, rather than LeChuck acting as Ozzie's flunky.

Also, Admiral Casaba strikes me as someone who could make a pretty good Lawful Evil enforcer.

Comments

• edited November 2010
    I loved Ozzie he was great!
  • edited November 2010
    I liked how he kept reminding you that he was Australian. "Well, that's shaved the proverbial dingo..."
  • edited November 2010
    It was very "Hey, have I mentioned I'm Australian today?"
  • edited November 2010
    He played the part of a distraction for Guybrush well.
  • edited November 2010
    Also referring to Elaine as a "sheila" :p
  • edited November 2010
    Yeah, Ozzie was a great character. The biggest problem for me was that he treated LeChuck like a child and I just don't see LeChuck actually putting up with it. It just seemed like LeChuck's and Guybrush's relationships with other characters were really messed up. You have these two intense pirates and all of a sudden they're both treated like they are insignificant. And this is coming from someone who has defended EMI on this forum many a time.
  • edited November 2010
    EMI would have been better if Ozzie and LeChuck where working separate plans and they coincided. Murray offed a good way for LeChuck to escape his icy tomb with out Ozzie by using his flaming beard.
  • edited November 2010
    coolsome wrote: »
    EMI would have been better if Ozzie and LeChuck where working separate plans and they coincided.

Hey, I actually really like that idea - I feel that it would have worked much better. Because, think about it, LeChuck and Ozzie really are two very different characters, so it would have felt a bit more natural if they were to be scheming separately and, like you said, have their plans coincide with one another.

Also, on a semi-unrelated note, I learned the word 'trollop' off of Ozzie.
  • edited November 2010
    Along with being very different characters their goals never really meshed. Given the Ultimate Insult itself was the only Macguffiny link between the two, it would have made sense that their hunt for it would have led to them meeting. Finding out they had a common problem in Guybrush and THEN teaming up would have made a touch more sense.
  • edited November 2010
    See I like to think of the Ozzie, LeChuck relationship like LeChuck let him treat him that way.... until the end when Ozzie was no longer needed.
  • edited November 2010
    Let's be realistic for once in our lives. Lechuck is a idiot, he chases after a idiot.
    He chases after mythical things like Big Whoop, has a Carnival on Monkey Island...

He's a idiot, never had a brilliant master mind plan, let alone one that actually makes any real sense.

Ozzy Mandril is a educated man, not a pirate, he sets himself a part from pirates all the time. Guybrush is a pirate, a idiot, Lechuck is a pirate, a idiot. Ozzy is not a idiot he's smart and educated...

Lechuck was working with Ozz because he's a foaming at the mouth, rotting corpse of a pirate...who in the time frame of Monkey Island 4 was trying to gain power and survive in a time where pirating was dying out and men like Ozz had all the true power.

Rivalry to that, Lechuck had just a different form of Power that Ozzy was after. In the end Lechuck won.

Lechuck's bizarre and stupid plans, agendas are fun, but I really don't see what's so bad about some one who is a little behind in his agendas working with some one who's more experience, educated, disciplined, cunning, to try to realize his goals and plans, and in the end he killed Ozz...

In some ways they were working separate goals, as Lechuck knows nothing about what Ozzy is doing, and Ozzy doesn't know how to be a evil pirate Lord. There was a obvious rivalry between the two as he thought he had the cunning skills to woe lechuck and use him for his agendas and Lechuck thought he had the will power and pirating skills to rise above Ozzy, use him, for fill his own agendas.
  • edited November 2010
    Obviously LeChuck is an idiot... but he is a very powerful one... and is well known as a brutal unkillable freak of nature... as the games went on they kind of lost that part of him from the first game where everyone was legitimately afraid of him... I think by the time Curse came out Guybrush didn't act like he was a threat so we kind of stop taking him serious.... I feel with ToMI we got some of that back.... LeChuck turned human and used it to his advantage and it was Guybrush that underestimated him and died because of it.
  • edited November 2010
    LeChuck, an idiot? Yeah, he is a bit of a bozo in the original MI game, just like Guybrush :p But he's not an idiot. He was a real menace, and it's just that overconfidence his main weakness... (Hm... this kinda brings a sense of Deja Vu :p ). He was turned into an idiot in CoMI, and EMI kinda continued the trend. I do think that in ToMI LeChuck is at his best :p

Anyway, on the topic, I think Ozzie is a great villain. And I genuinely think that EMI would've fared better without LeChuck, with Ozzie being the main and ONLY villain.
  • edited November 2010
    LeChuck is an idiot, but he's an EXTREMELY DANGEROUS idiot. I think that's what makes Ozzie so interesting as an antagonist: he's such a good contrast, since he's slowly forcing the pirate lifestyle to die out.

LeChuck is a knife, hacking and slashing his way through the world to get what he wants. Ozzie is a poison, slowly warping the world to his desires. But they're both effective villains.
  • edited November 2010
    LeChuck is a knife, hacking and slashing his way through the world to get what he wants. Ozzie is a poison, slowly warping the world to his desires. But they're both effective villains.

That's an interesting comparison.

I liked Ozzie, but I agree about the idea of LeChuck and Ozzie being competitors. It makes more sense considering Ozzie wants to abolish pirates and LeChuck spends his time making armies of undead pirates.
  • edited November 2010
    jeeno0142 wrote: »
    That's an interesting comparison.

I liked Ozzie, but I agree about the idea of LeChuck and Ozzie being competitors. It makes more sense considering Ozzie wants to abolish pirates and LeChuck spends his time making armies of undead pirates.

But Ozzie thought he had control of Lechuck, remember the ending? He's literally riding on top of him, not just soft core but hard core...

There was a real competition there, it was a competition of wills. Ozzy thought he could be top dog and control Lechuck. Pirates were dying out, people like Ozzy were rising to power. There was a rivalry, in the end, pirates won.
  • edited November 2010
    Ozzie should have hired Saxton Hale.
  • edited November 2010
    In an ideal version of Escape, I think LeChuck and Ozzie's plans would actually directly OPPOSE one another, with the one shared feature being that both are really bad for Guybrush.
  • edited November 2010
    That would have been interesting, especially if (taking a page out of the book of Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse) they came in direct conflict. Guybrush trying to slip under their radar as the two of them go at it (verbally or in an actual voodoo brawl) would have been pretty cool.
  • edited November 2010
    I love Ozzies theme
  • edited November 2010
    I love ozzies cane!
  • edited November 2010
    I love Ozzie's swimsuit
    ozz.png
  • edited November 2010
    I also love that pic.
  • edited November 2010
    I love Ozzies shoes!
    410501-ozzie_large.gif
  • edited November 2010
    I love Ozzies.....nvm
  • edited November 2010
    I really think Telltale should make Ozzie spinoff adventures. Let's start with the prequel.
  • edited November 2010
    Tales of Ozzie Manddrill, The Young.

Episode One : ....
  • edited November 2010
    doodo! wrote: »
    Tales of Ozzie Manddrill, The Young.

Episode One : How to Shave the Proverbial Dingo

Fix'd
  • edited November 2010
    Ozzie Mandrill's English Adventures!

Level 1: How to shave the Proverbial, Metaphorical, Figurative, and Literal Dingoes.
  • edited November 2010
    Season 1

Episode 1: Once upon a time in Australia
    Episode 2 or How i learned to stop riding kangaroos and love the crocodile
    Episode 3: A dingo ate my vegemite!
    Episode 4: Jeeps, chips and two smoking BBQ's
    Episode 5: Can't buy me love, Kylie!
  • edited November 2010
    That's too many stereotypical Australian references in one post.
  • edited November 2010
    Oops. But i love Australia actually. And of course, stereotypes are just for fun and not something one should take when judging people.

(so, how many crocodile pets do you have? :p)
  • edited November 2010
    Oops. But i love Australia actually. And of course, stereotypes are just for fun and not something one should take when judging people.

Umm... three!

Whenever us Australians wander in our majestic land of Oz, we often chant this when we sense danger:
    "Yowies, bunyips, and drop-bears. Oh my."
  • edited November 2010

Don't worry man, I wasn't offended at all :). Usually, when I see anything like this, I usually just perform a figurative facepalm and more-so laugh at the person who said/wrote/typed it (in a nice way).
    Umm... three!

I personally only have two, but I think the female is pregnant, so we should have a few more soon. Perhaps we'll sell some of the litter to our neighbours just down the dirt road. They'll have to keep them separate from their kangaroos, though. They wouldn't want their transportation to get eaten.
  • edited November 2010
    No stereotyped discussion of Aussies is complete without this...
  • edited November 2010
    I'd forgotten about that sketch.

Honestly, I was expecting a Crocodile Dundee clip...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.