Regarding the License to Maim tf2 item

Lets take a look at the items.
http://storefront.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/31280/extras/TF2_unlocks_max.jpg
that is the first time we see them, they look awesome!
now look at them here: actually in game
http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/File:Backpack_License_to_Maim.png
What the
shit
!
That is
fucking
ugly!
So could you guys release a fix to it, such as the regular textures when you guys submitted it to valve?

Comments

• edited November 2010
    This was my idea and if I had made the thread it would have been much politer.

Please though, I'd love my badge to look all normal mapped and nice :)

edit (read this before you tell me I shouldn't want this please!)

Basically, I really love what they did with the original texture. It looked really nice and seemed to mirror the style of the TV show badge perfectly, in that it was much more detailed than the world around it.

I'm not asking for the PSD, or the OBJ, or any sort of source file - Just a TGA, or a BMP, or whatever else is good! I'm sorry if I come across as greedy or ungrateful, it just pains me to see a nice model like that get reworked in such a way.

And I am DEFINITELY not asking for the normal map to be reimplemented in TF2. I can obviously see why that's a problem to the games style.

(and I KNOW it's unlikely to happen. Companies are understandably protective over their assets - but can it really hurt to ask?)
  • edited November 2010
    NeoDement wrote: »
    This way my idea and if I had made the thread it would have been much politer.

Please though, I'd love my badge to look all normal mapped and nice :)

Yeah, he did have the idea, I just made the thread.
  • edited November 2010
    Of course it's not that detailed.

Medals have to keep to a low poly count and the textures can't be that detailed.

Look at it in whole.
    http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/File:License_to_Maim_Spy.png

Though the gray and gold looks superior to the blue and yellow.
  • edited November 2010
    Of course it's not that detailed.

Medals have to keep to a low poly count and the textures can't be that detailed.

Though the gray and gold looks superior to the blue and yellow.

Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about. Even if that was the case, we're not asking for an official patch. Just the textures, for a clientside "fix".
  • edited November 2010
    I think it's more than that, I'm pretty sure they also want to make sure these items line up nicely with the TF2 art style in game.

To this extent I think it looks fine. Sure, it's doofy, but it's TF2.
  • edited November 2010
    spd12 wrote: »
    I think it's more than that, I'm pretty sure they also want to make sure these items line up nicely with the TF2 art style in game.

To this extent I think it looks fine. Sure, it's doofy, but it's TF2.

I fully understand the reasoning, but in my opinion it's been way overdone. The geometry hinting at detail that is meant to be exagerated by the normal map looks very strange on it's own.

And besides, it (would be) a client-side mod. You wouldn't have to see it if you didn't want to.
  • edited November 2010
    Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about. Even if that was the case, we're not asking for an official patch. Just the textures, for a clientside "fix".
    I'm just saying it needs to be recognizable at a distance and it has to keep to low poly/texture detail for performance.
    I fully understand the reasoning, but in my opinion it's been way overdone. The geometry hinting at detail that is meant to be exagerated by the normal map looks very strange on it's own.

And besides, it (would be) a client-side mod. You wouldn't have to see it if you didn't want to.

I don't think they are going to release a client side "fix" for this.
    Someone will probably come along with a re-texture that will look like the one in the trailer and post it on fpsbanana or something.
  • edited November 2010
    That's nice. But am I not entitled to request?

I mean I can totally understand if it's not the sort of thing you'd want, but I don't see why you'd try and tell me I shouldn't want it too. That's ignorant.
  • edited November 2010
    That's nice. But am I not entitled to request?

I mean I can totally understand if it's not the sort of thing you'd want, but I don't see why you'd try and tell me I shouldn't want it too. That's ignorant.

I never said that, I was just saying why they wouldn't do it.

I'm sorry I just don't think they will do it. :(

Trust me I like the other color scheme too.
  • edited November 2010
    But Telltale are cool :cool:

Have faith!
  • edited November 2010
    I'm just saying it needs to be recognizable at a distance and it has to keep to low poly/texture detail for performance.

I don't think they are going to release a client side "fix" for this.
    Someone will probably come along with a re-texture that will look like the one in the trailer and post it on fpsbanana or something.

This guy, right here. Besides, we're only seeing the badge from a few vantage points in those shots; regardless, it does bear mentioning that there are actually very few items in TF2 that use noticeable normal mapping. They emphasize that community contributors try not to use them unless absolutely necessary (Pugilist's Protector, for example.)

I imagine that it wouldn't take much to put the sparkle back in with a mod, though. For what's it's worth, I prefer the re-done version - it's bolder and easier to spot at a distance.
  • edited November 2010
    I quite like it! And this picture...

...makes me want it more!:p
  • edited November 2010
    jeeno0142 wrote: »
    I quite like it! And this picture...

...makes me want it more!:p

It's so flat!
  • edited November 2010
    JohnJohn wrote: »
    It's so flat!

Its a badge what did you expect.
    Its fine since most people will see only a glimpse of it before headshotting me.
  • edited November 2010
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    Its a badge what did you expect.
    Its fine since most people will see only a glimpse of it before headshotting me.

I expected the badge to look the like the 1st image I posted?
  • edited November 2010
    It's so flat!

It doesn't look flat to me. It looks identifiable, and about the right size, I'd say. Colours look fine to me as well. Yup, no complaints from me.
  • edited November 2010
    Isn't this Valve's department?
  • edited November 2010
    uhuhuh.png
    You can see the wings on the left one popping up on the right you just barely see it.
  • edited November 2010
    NeatNit wrote: »
    Isn't this Valve's department?

I don't mean an actual in-game fix, but a skin of sorts.
  • edited November 2010
    uhuhuh.png
    You can see the wings on the left one popping up on the right you just barely see it.

Looking at it a second time, it seems like they replaced the normal map of the first badge with just a spec map.
  • edited November 2010
    Still not TTG's responsibility in my opinion...
  • edited November 2010
    is it just because there isn't "light" hitting it properly?
  • edited November 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    is it just because there isn't "light" hitting it properly?

Nah I opened it in modelviewer. It looks a little better but is still very obviously missing depth. I mean just look at that eagles neck. What's going on there?
    NeatNit wrote: »
    Still not TTG's responsibility in my opinion...
    Um they made the texture? Asking Valve for an asset they didn't make won't go down well at all!
  • edited November 2010
    Uploading a video so you can see its not the light.
  • edited November 2010
    I wish Lucasarts.. made content for TF2.... Guybrush hair wig then we could all RAGE on that some more... it was funny.
  • edited November 2010
    I wish Lucasarts.. made content for TF2.... Guybrush hair wig then we could all RAGE on that some more... it was funny.

If you color the Spy's wig orange it kinda looks like Guybrush's hair wig.
  • edited November 2010
    Honestly, I don't get why you guys are complaining so much about an item that would probably be barely visible regardless of level of detail. You're not staring at a character's chest very often in TF2. You're either blowing them to pieces or getting blown to pieces.
  • edited November 2010
    furrykef wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't get why you guys are complaining so much about an item that would probably be barely visible regardless of level of detail. You're not staring at a character's chest very often in TF2. You're either blowing them to pieces or getting blown to pieces.

It's only a preference/request. I'm honestly amazed at the backlash. There is no need to analyse this so much.
  • edited November 2010
    My post isn't "backlash", it's just expressing puzzlement.
  • edited November 2010
    My post isn't "backlash", it's just expressing puzzlement.

Is it so bad to want the stuff the way it was ment to be?
  • edited November 2010

Some like to blow their load if you get what I mean.

But yeah, if you make it as detailed, it wouldn't look great anyway. The high detail is only there for Poker Night at the Inventory itself, I assume. I imagine the Dangeresque Too shutter shades would be in the same style as Strong Bad in Poker Night, but be of a different quality in TF2.
  • edited November 2010
    Is it so bad to want the stuff the way it was ment to be?

Its a stinking badge in a first person shooter.
    It looks fine.
    Most of the time you should be in the heat of battle and not even care about the badge.
    It is fine.
  • edited November 2010
    It looks fine.
    Most of the time you should be in the heat of battle and not even care about the badge.
    It is fine.

Get outta here. It's a goddamn preference. If you don't want it feel free to not post about it.
  • edited November 2010
    It looks fine.
    It is fine.

I just wish to know, why does it matter to you so much? If I wish to have something doesn't mean you need to want it, so leave me be, kthnx.
  • edited November 2010
    the model in the youtube vid looks pretty good to me... but maybe its because all my favorite games are old.
  • edited November 2010
    WHERE ARE MY WINGS

screamed the eagle
  • edited November 2010
    the model in the youtube vid looks pretty good to me... but maybe its because all my favorite games are old.

but thats not the point, it doesn't look like the original promo
  • edited November 2010
    Well. It still looks better than any damn badge we have, thats for sure.
  • JubJub
    edited November 2010
    WHERE ARE MY WINGS

screamed the eagle

I get your request and all, and I'm not going to tell you what to ask for or what you should want, but please avoid spamming just to bump this thread up?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.