Winslow?!

Hey. I haven't gotten Poker Night at the Inventory yet (not being able to get to my computer until late at night today is pure torture right now :( ), but I watched the opening cutscene on YouTube and was surprised to see you're introduced by a familiar face!

:winslow:

Since the Monkey Island games (Tales included) are LucasArts property, how does this work? I doubt Telltale would've gotten permission from LucasArts to include Monkey Island characters without having you play against Guybrush. Is it because, since he was created by Telltale, Telltale owns Winslow despite not owning Monkey Island itself? Or, since this guy is wearing different clothes and is (as far as I know) never addressed by name, could he just be a new character who happens to look and sound exactly like Winslow? ;)

Just curious. I'm so excited to play this game. I can barely wait!

Comments

• edited November 2010
    I was wondering about that too..... I wonder if maybe they can not call him by name... Either way its awesome to see him again...... I have high hopes of seeing treasure crab making a grab for some poker chips...
  • edited November 2010
    Falanca is going to be mad for spoiling this part.
    Im going to watch.:D
  • edited November 2010
    well since its right away at the beginning its not too bad of a spoiler.
  • edited November 2010
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    Falantica is going to be mad for spoiling this part.
    Im going to watch.:D
    Oh I'm going mad alright, since you misspelled my name and all...

EDIT: No backing out now, I saw you write it down like that.

For the opening, I'm not watching it I'm not watching it I'm not watching it
  • edited November 2010
    Falanca wrote: »
    Oh I'm going mad alright, since you misspelled my name and all...

For the opening, I'm not watching it I'm not watching it I'm not watching it

Heh I fixed that.
    Still HA HA HA.
  • edited November 2010
    Winslow was created by Telltale for use in a LucasArts licensed game. Any claim LucasArts has over that character will be shaky at best.
  • edited November 2010
    I'm gonna go with "he's a Telltale created character."
  • edited November 2010
    Ah Winslow. For your daily recomended amount of win.
    :winslow::winslow::winslow:
  • edited November 2010
    I saw Monte Muzzle in the Club as well. I suppose any character Telltale has made, they are free to use.
  • edited November 2010
    But are there many ******** in that game?
    Edit: Aw crap they still censor it.
  • edited November 2010
    I would imagine that the rights for any characters created by Telltale are retained by Telltale, even if the character was introduced in a game with licensed properties. That's pretty standard.
  • edited November 2010
    Not necessarily... They may have changed his outfit and not called him by name on purpose.
  • edited November 2010
    I saw in the credits they credited Roger Jackson as the voice of "The Host."

So I guess he isn't Winslow. As far as lawyers are concerned, at least. ;)
  • edited November 2010
    Winslow is Spy!
  • edited November 2010
    I saw in the credits they credited Roger Jackson as the voice of "The Host."

So I guess he isn't Winslow. As far as lawyers are concerned, at least. ;)
    How sad. Do they believe LA's lawyers will go "Well he has the same voice, face and build as Winslow, but this is Telltale so that doesn't mean anything."? What a world.
  • edited November 2010
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    Winslow is Spy!

Well, when he first walks up to the table he did say "Gentlemen."
  • edited November 2010
    Gentlemen.jpg
  • edited November 2010
    Harald B wrote: »
    How sad. Do they believe LA's lawyers will go "Well he has the same voice, face and build as Winslow, but this is Telltale so that doesn't mean anything."? What a world.

Well lots of TTG charecters have the same mold as Winslow.
  • edited November 2010
    Sam is owned by LucasArts, so I assume they agreed.

Besides, Winslow is a new character in MI - which might've been TT's idea.
  • edited November 2010
    Sam is not owned by LucasArts. They just had an exclusive video game license for while; nowadays not even that.
  • edited November 2010
    I should've said Max....... Now you know I don't play S&M much (man, that sounded so wrong!).

The reason I thought LA owned it is bcoz Steve Purcell created them, and LA hired him, so I assumed he gave them rights for future games n stuff.
  • edited November 2010
    Well it's the same with Max. Thankfully Steve is pretty wise about keeping important rights to himself. Otherwise we wouldn't have had the last three seasons of Sam & Max games.
  • edited November 2010
    Well, when he first walks up to the table he did say "Gentlemen."
    Yeah, I made a post on the Steam forum for this game asking if I was the only guy who couldn't resist adding "DUN... DUN... DUN DUNNNNNNN" after the "*ahem* gentlemen". Everybody pretty much said, "Um... yep, you're the only one."
  • edited November 2010
    In the Giant Bomb Quick Look of Poker Night, the Telltale guys pointedly did not call him Winslow. They said something to the effect of "anyone who has played Telltale games will recognize him, but that's all we're allowed to say about that". (I'm badly paraphrasing as I watched it a couple days ago.)
  • edited November 2010
    coolsome wrote: »
    Well lots of TTG charecters have the same mold as Winslow.

Winslow is also the only generic-lookin important TMI character, which could be the reason why he was used

Doubt tt could use Morrigan, however
  • edited November 2010
    Guhndahb wrote: »
    In the Giant Bomb Quick Look of Poker Night, the Telltale guys pointedly did not call him Winslow. They said something to the effect of "anyone who has played Telltale games will recognize him, but that's all we're allowed to say about that". (I'm badly paraphrasing as I watched it a couple days ago.)
    They probably said that so they didn't spoil anything and keep it a surprise. And if they insist the player would recognize him, then they're implying he's the same person.
  • edited November 2010
    that was a pretty cool thing to add Winslow in the game.
  • edited November 2010
    You will never see a staff member of TTG say.... YUP that was Winslow...

Obviously for all of us it so totally is.
  • edited November 2010
    I'm surprised TT didn't have him pointedly stare at a map on the wall and smile while giving the opening tour. It would have been a perfect way of confirming his Winslowness to fans, while still making him "Generic Host With Winslow's Voice and Model" to the litigious types.
  • edited November 2010
    Harald B wrote: »

Why do you guys think Telltale doesn't own the rights to characters they created? That'd be unusual, even when designing a game based on licensed characters (Guybrush, LeChuck, etc)
  • edited November 2010
    Ripcord wrote: »
    Why do you guys think Telltale doesn't own the rights to characters they created? That'd be unusual, even when designing a game based on licensed characters (Guybrush, LeChuck, etc)

In comics, the publisher loses the rights of a character if the character was first introduced in a license comic like Gi joe.

However, it appears to not be the case in gamming. For those who remember, TT could not use any of the charaters from Hit the Road since LA owned them. I guess Winslow is 0wned by TT
  • edited November 2010
    Rare lost the rights to all of the Donkey Kong Country characters when they joined Microsoft. Even though they created all but one of them. They got to keep the characters from Diddy Kong Racing though, apart from Diddy himself.
  • edited November 2010
    Different licensing deals work differently. It all depends on what's in the contract.

In the case of Donkey Kong Country, it was probably still developed by Nintendo, with Rare just being the developer. I'm guessing it's not too uncommon for publishers to get all the rights to the stuff that goes into a game, and probably especially common when the game is developed around one of the publisher's IPs.

Also, in the case of Donkey Kong Country, it makes sense for Rare to give up the rights to the other characters since they're all part of the Kong family. It'd be hard to use a character like Funky Kong without Nintendo's permission. ;)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.