Why Tycho?! Should have been Gabe

Lets face it.. those other characters "do" things in their genre .. gabe and tycho (while awesome) are boring outside of their fun little friendship.

Why wasn't Gabe as the Cardboard Tube Samari used instead?! You have a bunch of 'action' heros and then some .... guy ..... sitting there. At least the Cardboard Tube Samari would have 'earned' his way into the game by being an 'action' hero.

Just my 2 cents. Feel free to ignore me now.

Edit- and yes I registered just to say that.

Comments

• edited November 2010
    ...since when are Strong Bad and Max "action" heroes? Strong Bad is a loser that types on his keyboard. Even Dangeresque, the action hero parody persona of Strong Bad, isn't really all that intimidating. And if anything, Heavy is a pastiche of action hero tropes, which is far separated from actually BEING an action hero. Max is about as comedy character as you get, I mean...he's a DAMN FOIL. He's a FOIL in a classic comedy duo set-up!

More bothersome than that, the Cardboard Tube Samurai doesn't SPEAK. If he did, the nature of his character(taking a stupid thing entirely too seriously in the style of actual chanbara fiction) would simply not fly in what is essentially a fun game of poker with friends.

I disgree HEAVILY that Tycho is a poor choice or has nothing going for him. Not only that, I disagree with the idea that Gabe would be better suited. Gabe is far more sporadic, which is a role filled well enough by Max and even Strong Bad to an extent. In terms of comedic balance, you needed a straight man. In terms of a set of Poker characteristics, Tycho's more measured stance makes for a better player balance. And personally, since I read the news posts more than the comic, I find I enjoy the verbose and eloquent comedy peppered with low-brow swears.
  • edited November 2010
    First, didn't you read the comics where Gab is trying to get Tycho to get him to teach him how to play poker and Tycho takes advatage of him?
    Second: Gabe has a comiclly dreadful poker face. :eek::D:rolleyes:
  • edited November 2010
    Agree on the choice of Tycho... he's perfect as the straightman who ocasionally manages to utterly HORRIFY all the other characters.
  • edited November 2010
    Yes, Tycho was the correct choice. As was Max and Strong Bad. Heavy? Maybe if I was a TF2 player I'd be into that more, but as it is I like the whole lineup.
  • edited November 2010
    ...since when are Strong Bad and Max "action" heroes? Strong Bad is a loser that types on his keyboard. Even Dangeresque, the action hero parody persona of Strong Bad, isn't really all that intimidating. And if anything, Heavy is a pastiche of action hero tropes, which is far separated from actually BEING an action hero. Max is about as comedy character as you get, I mean...he's a DAMN FOIL. He's a FOIL in a classic comedy duo set-up!

More bothersome than that, the Cardboard Tube Samurai doesn't SPEAK. If he did, the nature of his character(taking a stupid thing entirely too seriously in the style of actual chanbara fiction) would simply not fly in what is essentially a fun game of poker with friends.

I disgree HEAVILY that Tycho is a poor choice or has nothing going for him. Not only that, I disagree with the idea that Gabe would be better suited. Gabe is far more sporadic, which is a role filled well enough by Max and even Strong Bad to an extent. In terms of comedic balance, you needed a straight man. In terms of a set of Poker characteristics, Tycho's more measured stance makes for a better player balance. And personally, since I read the news posts more than the comic, I find I enjoy the verbose and eloquent comedy peppered with low-brow swears.

I agree that having Gabe is worse, no offense. Gabe is the sidekick whereas Tyco is the straight man

In other words, Gabe is to Tyco much like how Max is to Sam. Having two Max personalities would be overkill.
  • edited November 2010
    215553137_eFbNy-L-2.jpg
    215553259_W2HYa-L-2.jpg

The game would be too easy.
  • edited November 2010
    Max is about as comedy character as you get, I mean...he's a DAMN FOIL. He's a FOIL in a classic comedy duo set-up!
    Max is the foil? Isn't it generally the case that the straight man is the foil in a comedy duo?
  • edited November 2010
    furrykef wrote: »
    Max is the foil? Isn't it generally the case that the straight man is the foil in a comedy duo?

Nnnooo, that only sounds ironic...
  • edited November 2010
    Huh?
  • edited November 2010
    Being a foil doesn't mean to be a "foil of comedy", means "foil of a routine life" and generally is the one coming up with all the punchlines. Max is perfect for this term. Sam generally comes up with the beginning of the jokes.
  • edited November 2010
    True, if it was Sam then Gabe would be better :D Now I want this :(
  • edited November 2010
    Falanca wrote: »
    Being a foil doesn't mean to be a "foil of comedy", means "foil of a routine life" and generally is the one coming up with all the punchlines.
    Huh?

From Wikipedia:
    The "straight man" in a comedy duo is a comic foil. While the straight man portrays a reasonable and serious character, the other portrays a funny, dumb, or simply unorthodox one.

Max is funny and unorthodox compared to Sam. That makes Sam his comic foil.

Max might be the foil in the literary sense of the term -- being the guy who throws Sam's own traits into sharp relief -- but in terms of comedy, which is the sense that Rather Dashing invoked, Sam is definitely the foil.
  • edited November 2010
    To the OP: I actually wondered this myself, more or less, for a while. But, after playing the game, Tycho is the best choice, in poker playing as well as character. Gabe, being his erratic self, would play more like Max, as in going all in at the very thought of being able to win and losing almost every time. Tycho, as according to his character, plays carefully, which normally gets him to the end.

As for character, Gabe would cuss out Strong Bad every time he said something that pissed him off, and would most likely whip out his Cardboard Tube of Vengeance every time he got a bad hand. And he wouldn't have creepy conversations like Tycho, because all of his fetishes are copyrighted.

That is to say, I would LOVE to see Gabe in a future installment, but they would have to get a straight man from another game first.
  • edited November 2010
    OttersPod wrote: »
    That is to say, I would LOVE to see Gabe in a future installment, but they would have to get a straight man from another game first.

Sam and Gabe? Hmmm...
  • edited November 2010
    Falanca wrote: »
    Sam and Gabe? Hmmm...

Sam and Gabe freelance police
    Naw.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.