What if the next Monkey Island game didn't have "Monkey Island" in it's title?

This just a thought but seeing as Tales of Monkey Island didn't feature the mentioned island which it's name is featured in the title and only the last four had Monkey Island, what if the next game in the series (hopefully there will be one) didn't have said name in it's title?
Just like how the latest Tomb Raider game was called "Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light", this could be the same with the next game if said island isn't featured.

If so what do you think it would be called?

Eg. "The Legend of Guybrush Threepwood", "Savior of the Carribean: Tale of Guybrush Threepwood"

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Uhm... Monkey Island 2 DIDN'T have Monkey Island. The fact that it was retconned to have Dinky Island being connected with Monkey via tunnels doesn't change a thing - there isn't Monkey Island in the second game.

Besides, the Monkey Island sequences were the worst sequences in each game where it was featured (1, 3, 4), the only more or less bearable one being in SoMI, so I will actually be glad if there will be NO MORE Monkey Island.

And, no, I doubt there will be any Monkey Island game that will NOT have Monkey Island in the title, regardless of Monkey Island's appearance. After all, it's not the only example when something in the title started to lose it's meaning in one way or another, and Monkey Island is a franchise of adventure games so it won't lose it's title.

EDIT: PS. The Lara Croft example is invalid because it's not a Tomb Raider game - it has changed it's genre, it's a spin-off in the same universe. Monkey Island games will always be, I hope, adventure games.
  • edited December 2010
    Farlander wrote: »
    EDIT: PS. The Lara Croft example is invalid because it's not a Tomb Raider game - it has changed it's genre, it's a spin-off in the same universe. Monkey Island games will always be, I hope, adventure games.

Actually, in all honesty, I wouldn't mind a Monkey Island game of a different genre, just as long as it was done well, and with the same graphical style. I mean, of course having a Monkey Island game as an adventure game is preferable, but I really wouldn't mind seeing a Monkey Island RPG, or click-fest action-RPG similar to the likes of Deathspank. Even a platformer or an action game would be okay just as long as it maintained the Monkey Island theme and had a decent story with good cutscenes (as well as dialogue and full voice-acting). I really think that it'd work okay; it just depends on how you picture it working in your own mind, really.
  • edited December 2010
    Uhm... Monkey Island 2 DIDN'T have Monkey Island. The fact that it was retconned to have Dinky Island being connected with Monkey via tunnels doesn't change a thing - there isn't Monkey Island in the second game.

Yes it was. The carnival at the very end of the game was on Monkey Island as confirmed by CMI.
  • edited December 2010
    Yes it was. The carnival at the very end of the game was on Monkey Island as confirmed by CMI.

Whatever. It's a retcon. When MI2 was developed and released, there was no Monkey Island in it for 6 whole years (until 1997), and it was better off without it than the first part of MI which had it. Which I think proves my point that it's not imperative for a Monkey Island game to have Monkey Island in it.
  • edited December 2010
    At this point I think its just become the world the characters live in and nobody really expects the Island to be visited..... When someone says Monkey Island I think of the adventures and not the island itself.
  • edited December 2010
    Whatever. It's a retcon. When MI2 was developed and released, there was no Monkey Island in it for 6 whole years (until 1997), and it was better off without it than the first part of MI which had it. Which I think proves my point that it's not imperative for a Monkey Island game to have Monkey Island in it.

That's not really a retcon. More of a revelation.
  • edited December 2010
    Or a "Let's make something up because LR's ending was horrible and darn, we have the task to explain it"...

That's why it was a theme-park in CMI too...
  • edited December 2010
    Sometimes, even though a title no longer makes sense, it'll stick around because it's the name we're all familiar with.

I can't imagine a Monkey Island game not being called Monkey Island, even if Monkey Island itself isn't in it.
  • edited December 2010
    vitas wrote: »
    That's not really a retcon. More of a revelation.

Well. Let's take Star Wars for example. Vader at first wasn't intended to be Luke's father, and Star Wars was filmed with Luke's father and Vader being two different persons. However, in Empire they decided to make Vader Luke's father (thankfully, nothing contradicted, and Guiness' acting during the moment where he tells Luke that Vader killed his father actually help to add ambiguity). So, technically that's a retcon (an insider's retcon, so to speak, invisible to the audience), but it's a good enough and unnoticeable retcon to make it a revelation.

The same situation COULD be applied to the Carnival example, BUT.
    a) The carnival in MI2 is drawn over Villa de la Booty (and it's fairly obvious). Leads to logical question: why would create a Villa de la Booty-styled replica carnival?
    b) There is NO sign of the GIANT Monkey Head which is the CENTERPIECE of the Carnival in the CMI version.
    c) CMI forgets about the tunnels also leading to Melee, by putting Monkey Island damn too far from it on it's map. (Let's not forget that in MI1 Guybrush can see the Lookout of Melee Island through telescope)

So yeah. IMO, it's not neat enough to be considered a 'revelation'. It's a retcon.

Granted, MI2 has a VERY convoluted ending and the creators of CMI did face a problem of explaining stuff. Which leads us to two points:
    a) The creators of CMI SHOULDN'T HAVE TRIED TO DAMN EXPLAIN IT. That's a rule of thumb in situations like this. They started CMI with just 'Guybrush escaping the Carnival and LeChuck's spell', and it worked just fine! But no, they lead us BACK to the Carnival (and to the worst part of the game, gameplay-wise and story-wise), 'reveal' that it's on Monkey Island and try to explain everything, making everything more convoluted than it should've been.
    b) The creators of CMI also shouldn't have put the Carnival on Monkey Island to begin with.

But hey, that's not the only thing CMI retconned. Voodoo Lady's attitude towards Big Whoop comes to my mind (in MI2 she urges Guybrush to find it, in MI3 says he shouldn't have even tried), the manner of LeChuck's death and transformation into a ghost, and some other stuff.

But anyway, it's kind of a big railing off the topic, so I think I'll stop discussing this now.
  • edited December 2010
    Well. Let's take Star Wars for example. Vader at first wasn't intended to be Luke's father, and Star Wars was filmed with Luke's father and Vader being two different persons. However, in Empire they decided to make Vader Luke's father (thankfully, nothing contradicted, and Guiness' acting during the moment where he tells Luke that Vader killed his father actually help to add ambiguity). So, technically that's a retcon (an insider's retcon, so to speak, invisible to the audience), but it's a good enough and unnoticeable retcon to make it a revelation.

The same situation COULD be applied to the Carnival example, BUT.
    a) The carnival in MI2 is drawn over Villa de la Booty (and it's fairly obvious). Leads to logical question: why would create a Villa de la Booty-styled replica carnival?
    b) There is NO sign of the GIANT Monkey Head which is the CENTERPIECE of the Carnival in the CMI version.
    c) CMI forgets about the tunnels also leading to Melee, by putting Monkey Island damn too far from it on it's map. (Let's not forget that in MI1 Guybrush can see the Lookout of Melee Island through telescope)

So yeah. IMO, it's not neat enough to be considered a 'revelation'. It's a retcon.

Granted, MI2 has a VERY convoluted ending and the creators of CMI did face a problem of explaining stuff. Which leads us to two points:
    a) The creators of CMI SHOULDN'T HAVE TRIED TO DAMN EXPLAIN IT. That's a rule of thumb in situations like this. They started CMI with just 'Guybrush escaping the Carnival and LeChuck's spell', and it worked just fine! But no, they lead us BACK to the Carnival (and to the worst part of the game, gameplay-wise and story-wise), 'reveal' that it's on Monkey Island and try to explain everything, making everything more convoluted than it should've been.
    b) The creators of CMI also shouldn't have put the Carnival on Monkey Island to begin with.

But hey, that's not the only thing CMI retconned. Voodoo Lady's attitude towards Big Whoop comes to my mind (in MI2 she urges Guybrush to find it, in MI3 says he shouldn't have even tried), the manner of LeChuck's death and transformation into a ghost, and some other stuff.

But anyway, it's kind of a big railing off the topic, so I think I'll stop discussing this now.

Well retcon is really if something already existed pre-dating that in which another story or source states something otherwise which then takes hold over that. Being nothing said otherwise before the films about Vader being Luke's father is again considered a revelation.

A good example of retcon is the "Jedi Prince" series. The series was done before Ysanne Isard was introduced. The books here state Trioculus became the only ruler of the Empire during 5 ABY (as well the books were intended to take a course of five years), however when Ysanne first appeared in the "X-Wing" series, it said SHE was the only ruler during this time. However later stories and official sources later retconned this that Trioculus was only ruler from 5 to 5.5 ABY and Ysanne from 5 to 6 ABY both ruling different remnants of the Empire which both opposed each other. As well during Isard's time were other Imperial rulers/warlords who opposed her like Shadowspawn, Ars Dangor and the Imposter Shadow Prophet Kadann. As you can see here, this is a good example of a retcon.

Now if you look at Monkey Island series, since it's based on comedy and has shown over the years some of the most outlandish things, you can't really take the possibility of retconning anything too seriously but instead just go with the flow.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.