Rating System Harsher Now?

edited December 2010 in Back to the Future
I just re-watched BTTF parts 1 and 2 this weekend (I've never seen 3, but will probably rent it this coming weekend, the cliffhanger in 2 always drove me nuts).

I noticed on iTunes that the series is rated PG, however, I was shocked that for a PG rated movie the amount of swearing, innuendo, and other stuff they got away with, The same movie, if released today in the US, would probably have been PG-13. I mean, the first move has
attempted rape
for crying out loud!

Not that I mind, nor am I a stick in the mud. I mean, I watched these movies when I was in elementary. I just wanted to point this sort of thing out. What's everyone else's opinion on it? Do you think these movies would still be PG if they were released today?

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Wow, I've never known anyone who's seen the first two movies but not the third. Go check it out, it's a lot of fun.
  • edited December 2010
    I don't expect them to use the 'shit' and 'bi@#' word in the game.

I might expect a Son of a Gun, or Son of a B - it gets cut off.
  • edited December 2010
    Origami wrote: »
    I don't expect them to use the 'shit' and 'bi@#' word in the game.
    Right, "Shit" and "Bitch" are probably out.

As for the original post, yeah, standards for such things have both changed and, in some ways, never really existed. The board has made a lot of really confusing decisions in the past, and they're easily swayed by various seemingly arbitrary factors. Also, the PG-13 rating had only been around for about a year at the time Back to the Future came out.
  • edited December 2010
    Yes, the rating board is harsher now.
  • edited December 2010
    I believe when Back to the Future was released, they had not created the PG-13 rating. You have to remember that the only ratings at one point in time was, G, PG and R. No PG-13. (Also excluding any special ratings like NC-17)
  • edited December 2010
    I think standards just fluctuate over time, and the comments about things changing when the PG-13 rating was introduced are also true. However, I've seen some films made after the introduction of "PG-13" that were rated PG that would definitly not get the same rating today. For instance, in "Beetlejuice", the title character kicks down a model tree and yells "Nice f____n' model!", and in "What About Bob?" there is a part in which Bill Murray's character says he has Tourette's Syndrome and then proceeds to spout a long line of curse words, some of which were fairly dirty.

Today, PG is like the new "G"...I can't even remember the last time I heard any swearing in a PG rated movie, seems PG usually just applies to minor violence and dramatic elements; like "Lilo & Stitch", which was rated PG for "Mild Sci-Fi Action" (?!).

To really see the contrast, check out some '70's movies like "Logan's Run" (full nudity) and "Papillon" (female topless scenes [innocent context, though]; fairly violent and disturbing). Both movies were (and still are; ratings stay the same unless edits/additions are made) rated PG, but would automatically get R ratings today.

EDIT: What's funny in the case of Lilo & Stitch is that the violence was, in my opinion, less shocking than almost all of the other animated Disney films that preceded it (Lion King, Little Mermaid, Hunchback, etc...all had pretty gruesome deaths and some pretty mature themes, yet were rated G)
  • edited December 2010
    Wow, I've never known anyone who's seen the first two movies but not the third. Go check it out, it's a lot of fun.

Course I'm going to check it out. Time travel AND cowboys? Seriously, what's NOT to like?

Back on topic- I've found it interesting with anime ratings as well. Detective Conan (Meitantei Conan, or Case Closed for you American people) airs at 6PM on Saturdays here- just the time when everyone is sitting down at the table for dinner. In the US, I heard it aired at midnight with a very high rating.

On the other hand, Naruto, which has a lot more blood and violence (Conan has it in spades, but a lot of the murders happen offscreen) apparently has a Y-7 rating in the US (seven years and older, I think?). What gives?
  • edited December 2010
    I dont like cowboys but I was traumatized by a few gay bars in the local SF area
    yes friends.. people drag me to such places

Of course I have gay friends :P and they looove to pull jokes
    "want a drink? lets go !"" SURE!!!"
    GULP

RUnnnnn from the cowboys!
    *Kal shudders from broke-back mountain scenario
    or worse.. anyone hear dueling banjos ? ruuuun!!!
  • edited December 2010
    Hopefully Telltale isn't afraid of using the word "shit." They'll get a T rating, but I think that's appropriate for the game.
  • edited December 2010
    Benito wrote: »
    Hopefully Telltale isn't afraid of using the word "shit." They'll get a T rating, but I think that's appropriate for the game.

Other then when Biff and his gang crashed into the manure truck in the first movie, did they ever use shit again?
  • edited December 2010
    Ashki wrote: »
    Other then when Biff and his gang crashed into the manure truck in the first movie, did they ever use shit again?
    Marty yells "Holy shit!" during the parking lot chase at the beginning of the movie.
  • edited December 2010
    markeres wrote: »
    Marty yells "Holy shit!" during the parking lot chase at the beginning of the movie.

Ah, I'll have to recheck it out then cause I don't remember that.
  • edited December 2010
    Ah, I'll have to recheck it out then cause I don't remember that.
    It's when the Libyan pulls out the rocket launcher (if I remember correctly).
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    I can confirm that.
  • edited December 2010
    It's when the Libyan pulls out the rocket launcher (if I remember correctly).

That's right, he looks out the rear view mirror and see's that the terrorist pulled out a rocket launcher and says an appropriate line. I'd probably say that as well if someone pulled out a rocket launcher at me as well.
  • edited December 2010
    Also, Marty and Doc see some serious shit when this baby hits 88MPH.
  • edited December 2010
    That's right, he looks out the rear view mirror and see's that the terrorist pulled out a rocket launcher and says an appropriate line. I'd probably say that as well if someone pulled out a rocket launcher at me as well.

Yeah it would be weird if he didnt say that, and unrealistic.
    Hopefully Telltale isn't afraid of using the word "shit."
    icon14.gif
  • edited December 2010

telltale has never used that word except for poker night.
  • edited December 2010
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    telltale has never used that word except for poker night.
    Because it didn't fit into any other franchise they've done. If fits in perfectly with "Back to the Future". Personally, I feel the game will be worse off if they tone down the language. "You're gonna see some serious stuff" or a Tannen yelling "Crap!" as he heads toward manure... just doesn't have the same kick to it (or authenticity).
  • edited December 2010
    I remember for years the only version of Back to the Future I had seen was the TV version we'd recorded on VHS one christmas. I can't remember if it was dubbed or if they actually filmed different takes but it had lines like:

"When this baby hits 88, you're gonna see some serious stuff"
    "Holy Jeez!"
    "Take that you mutated son of a-" - DeLorean crashes out of the barn cutting him off.
    "I'm gonna get that stinkin' punk"
    "You cost 300 bucks damage to my car you son of a butthead, and I'm gonna take it out of your hide"
  • edited December 2010
    Lots of movies get redubbed/reedited for TV showings. Ghostbusters of the same age had the 'dickless' joke redone, for example.
  • edited December 2010
    They don't swear that many times in the movies. Also it wasn't attempted rape he was just feeling her up, and that was ok back then.
  • edited December 2010
    They don't swear that many times in the movies.
    True, there aren't as many swears as in a Scorsese or Kevin Smith movie. But there's enough that if they're absent from the game, that absence will be felt. Besides all the "shit"s, there's also Marty's famous line about whether he and Jennifer become assholes in the future. And Marty saying "He's an asshole!" about Buford (which is actually one of my favorite Marty lines).

"Yes, definitely, goddamnit, Telltale, swear."
  • edited December 2010
    They don't swear that many times in the movies. Also it wasn't attempted rape he was just feeling her up, and that was ok back then.

That is true, but we can't have the kiddies hearing the bad words now, can we?

Also, I wouldn't mind if they did it in their game, but yeah, like the movies, there's got to be a reason, like Marty with the terrorist and the rocket launcher.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2010
    I'm really not that sensitive to swearing. The occasional s*&b* was just part of the movies, so I'd be a little upset if they'd cut it out of the games. Hopefully, Biff doesn't come that close to Lorraine any more, so divisionten's other main concern shouldn't come up in the games...
  • edited December 2010
    "Yes, definitely, goddamnit, Telltale, swear."

Best. Line. Ever.

As for the swearing, I think the movies did it just right. It's not every other word like a lot of games out there; it was used for punctuation. There are times you just have to say it. I've seen the movies uncensored, and I can safely say that the line "What, do we become idiots or something?" just doesn't hold the same weight. There are times you just have to swear.

Another movie example, I remember in Lost in Space (yes, the movie. yes I liked it. Shut up.) when Will & Smith come up over the ridge and see the busted-up Jupiter 2. Will: "Oh, Shit." Smith: "A boy of your intelligence should never swear." (Smith sees it too) "Oh. Shit indeed." That just doesn't work nearly as well censored, even though the TV versions are dubbed down to use "damn".

And then, there's the joke about Mickey & Minnie getting a divorce. I can't repeat it here, but suffice to say, there's no way to clean it up and it still make sense.
  • edited December 2010
    Heh, I was just thinking about how kinda dark the first 2 movies were. Doc's character seems a bit more exaggerated after I as well.

But, hey--ToMI and latter-day Sam & Max got fairly mature as they went on, so there's no reason to expect BttF to be another Strong Bad/Wallace & Gromit.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.