Sierra-esque Death (time space continuum explosion) in game?

edited December 2010 in Back to the Future
BttF [semi]-sequel being a game expands the narration of the story in ways like, well, we get to hear Marty's comments about places and objects and characters, which obviously is not possible in movies.

I've always been curious how does time space continuum explode!
I mean, what would happen if the Marty (who wanted to get the sports almanac from biff) met the Marty (who was trying not to get erased by matching his parents) ...

I hope that we will have opportunity to do that in the game and die.

Comments

• edited December 2010
    You wanna see Marty die? That's heavy!

Although I still think your milk is delicious.
  • edited December 2010
    The universe doesn't explode, it's been proven in BTTF 2 with Jennifer.

Though I loved Shadow of Memories' way of dealing with it : Getting erased from time and existence by causing such a paradox. ^^
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2010
    That's one great NO from both Universal and Bob Gale. :D

You may hope that in the "Outatime" episode, they'll get more into the details of what a serious time paradox could cause. What's the episode title supposed to mean if not "this time, they really actually honestly went too far"?
  • edited December 2010
    I sure hope not, Seirra from what I read everywhere was unforgiven with their deaths. I don't mind deaths, but don't make the game unwinnable and what not.
  • edited December 2010
    Oh yeah I would also love a Chrono Trigger "end of time" idea !

Like Marty gets lost in a weird area where time has no effect ^^ . Would be COOL .

Do you think we could also have some kind of "time police" , maybe funded by Jules or Vernes ? ^^ I'm sure some evil people in the future might try to do something right ?
  • edited December 2010
    Strayth wrote: »

Like Marty gets lost in a weird area where time has no effect ^^ . Would be COOL .

Do you think we could also have some kind of "time police" , maybe funded by Jules or Vernes ? ^^ I'm sure some evil people in the future might try to do something right ?

What's funny about that was one of the ideas I saw in one of the polls about the game was just about that kinda thing, and what's even more funny was who the officer was.
    edited December 2010

I don't think it would fit Back to the Future... still, I love Chrono Trigger. ;)

endoftime0.jpg
  • edited December 2010
    141ipfb.gif
  • edited December 2010
    11rxjwj.jpg

LOL Yeah, I'd be seeing a lot of that if Telltale added those to these games.
  • edited December 2010
    I dont't mean I want to see Marty Die, he won't Die we will just reload the game from previous save.
    Although I still think your milk is delicious.
    Because it's what the world deserves.
  • edited December 2010
    141ipfb.gif

Haha, that's great.

Anyway, Telltale's games are LucasArts-style, not Sierra-style (as should be expected, since most of its staff consists of ex-LucasArts employees). Outside of "The Tomb of Sammun-Mak," they've never really done any deaths or unwinnable situations (and even there it was done in a very limited way).

As fun as it might be to see Marty McFly die a million Roger Wilco-like deaths, don't count on it. :p
  • edited December 2010
    Anyway, Telltale's games are LucasArts-style, not Sierra-style (as should be expected, since most of its staff consists of ex-LucasArts employees). Outside of "The Tomb of Sammun-Mak," they've never really done any deaths or unwinnable situations (and even there it was done in a very limited way).
    Can't you loose and die in Full Throttle ? ^^
  • edited December 2010
    Can't you loose and die in Full Throttle ? ^^

Sort of, but not like a Sierra game. There's no game over and it just resets the puzzle. Like in The Tomb of Sammun-Mak. So while you can fail you don't really get penalised for it. Which I feel is the a good way of doing it.
  • edited December 2010
    Hmmm... I think it will feel rather fresh to hear Marty say "I shouldn't touch that, it might affect the future" instead of "I can't pick that up" :p
  • edited December 2010
    Id be fine with death if telltale did it like sam and max 302.
  • edited December 2010
    Maniac Mansion you could die and characters would be gone for good you'd have to find a new one and when they all died it was game over.
  • edited December 2010
    Maybe if you mess up the camera will pan out and you'll hear Doc say "Marty! You can't do that! The future will be changed! You'll create a time paradox!" and then when you die it says 'Game Over' as you hear Doc yell "Marty? Marty! MAAAAAAARRRRRTTTTYYYY!!!"
  • edited December 2010
    LOOOOL !

Obviously the Fission would be Mailed :D .
  • edited December 2010
    I don't think it would fit Back to the Future... still, I love Chrono Trigger. ;)

endoftime0.jpg

What is this?
  • edited December 2010
    It was a fan project to turn Chrono Trigger in 3D. It was quite an ambitious project and looked great. Unfortunately Square-Enix made them stop.
  • edited December 2010
    When the Delorean reaches 88 mph it creates a small explosive breach in the space time continuum. So likely it would be the whole universe would exist in random time places, and physical objects would be colliding on a massive scale, and the universe would implode instantaneously.
  • edited December 2010
    Maybe after creating a time paradox the screen becomes black and it has written "Gaim Ovur"
  • edited December 2010
    Sort of, but not like a Sierra game. There's no game over and it just resets the puzzle.

Heh, I remember when you failed in Full Throttle at the end (get out of the plane sequence). *Plane (ok, or exploding :p) with Ben falls down* and then... "Hmmm. Let me try that again". :D
  • edited December 2010
    BTW, you can die in Monkey Island, can't you ? (10 minutes...)
  • edited December 2010
    BTW, you can die in Monkey Island, can't you ? (10 minutes...)

Yup, in 'Secret' if you don't get out of the water in 10 minutes time...Guybrush will drown. (and it will just sit there, you have to reload a save and try again)

You can also 'die' in MI2: LeChuck's Revenge. If you don't escape the trap in about 5 to 10 minutes time, Guybrush (& Wally) will fall into the acid pit. BUT, then Elaine says thats not posible, so maybe you should go back and try it again. (because if you died in acid, then how are you here, alive, telling me the story of how you got here?)
  • edited December 2010
    I miss deaths but... few at telltale dont like that idea.. nor inventory combining..
    I like both
  • edited December 2010
    Inventory combining would be nice. Deaths... well the full throttle death wasn't so bad. It's more an issue if you have forgotten to save. Replaying sections of the game could be a bit frustrating. If the game autosaved right before you were in a position where your action could result in death I think that would be ok.
    edited December 2010
    It was already stated by TTG (was it the gametrailers.tv footage??) that there are no inventory item combinations possible, as this wouldn't fit the character of Marty McFly. :( / :D ?
  • edited December 2010
    Not even "use tape on walkman"? "Use pick on guitar"? "Use match on almanac"? :D
  • edited December 2010
    It was already stated by TTG (was it the gametrailers.tv footage??) that there are no inventory item combinations possible, as this wouldn't fit the character of Marty McFly.

I told ya Doc was the perfect fit for a classic adventure game character ;) Between him and Marty, it would be Doc who would try to use everything with everything, have a very eccentric behavior, examine everything and try to use... everything :p And do all the other stuff normal people would consider to be craaaaaazy. (Remember Guybrush's plead of insanity in ToMI-Ch4? ;) )

But, to be honest, inventory combinations is something I won't miss that much. If by inventory combinations they mean something like... you know... making a device out of several improbable for this device peaces.
  • edited December 2010
    Boo. I love me some inventory combining. I'd have thought it was ideal :(
  • edited December 2010
    I dont really like the idea that Marty could die even if you fail something.
    I feel bad enough when i watch him get whacked over the head...
    It was already stated by TTG (was it the gametrailers.tv footage??) that there are no inventory item combinations possible, as this wouldn't fit the character of Marty McFly. :( / :D ?

Hmm ... Walkman + Cassette, ... :D

Although just because hes confused by time travel, doesnt mean hes an idiot.
    Ok maybe he is when he's going through his "chicken" problems.
    But he might have helped Doc when building that amplifier. People just compare him to Doc too much.
  • edited December 2010
    Maybe after creating a time paradox the screen becomes black and it has written "Gaim Ovur"

Awesome reference. The different spelling always made my hair stand on end.
  • edited December 2010

In the novelization of Back to the Future, there's a part that would make a perfect adventure game puzzle. Marty is in detention and wants to get out. He starts chewing some gum. He takes a book of matches out of pocket. He sticks the gum to the matches. He uses a rubber band to shoot the matchbook up to the ceiling on the smoke detector - it sticks because of the gum. Then he uses a shiny guitar pick to reflect sunlight onto the matches, eventually causing them to smoke up and set off the alarm, setting him free...
  • edited December 2010
    JuntMonkey wrote: »
    In the novelization of Back to the Future, there's a part that would make a perfect adventure game puzzle. Marty is in detention and wants to get out. He starts chewing some gum. He takes a book of matches out of pocket. He sticks the gum to the matches. He uses a rubber band to shoot the matchbook up to the ceiling on the smoke detector - it sticks because of the gum. Then he uses a shiny guitar pick to reflect sunlight onto the matches, eventually causing them to smoke up and set off the alarm, setting him free...

Maybe I'm just getting old (and that's from a 20-years old guy who played adventure games ever since he was a kid)... But no thanks. Reminds me too much of the GK3 mustache puzzle, though, unlike the mustache puzzle, it does have some logic in it.
  • edited December 2010
    JuntMonkey wrote: »

Holy shit, that is insane. That's like something from an old text adventure. I'd love that as an adventure game puzzle myself, but I doubt most would.
  • edited December 2010

You know, I've thought the exact same thing for years ever since I read that too.
  • edited December 2010
    Oh yeah! Bring on the deaths and failures! I'd be happy with a Try Again button even, though I almost prefer having to save...makes things seem more dangerous. As if everything you do matters more. Even LucasArts games had that. Full Throttle, for instance.
  • edited December 2010
    That's some Macgyverism right there!
  • edited December 2010
    Marty may not be the brightest bulb on the tree but he does have some decent problem solving skills. he was able to connect a 1980's vhs camcorder to a 50's tv set with no viable connection ports. in a deleted scene you can see him fiddling with wires while doc examines the contents of his future self's suitcase.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.