TOMI Review - PC vs Wii vs PS3 (Alt Mag Online)

Hey guys. Can't believe it has been a year since the final episode of TOMI!

I have just reviewed the entire season of TOMI and compared the PC, WiiWare and PSN versions here:

GAME REVIEW – Tales Of Monkey Island (PC, Wii, PlayStation 3)

Would love to hear your thoughts! :)

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Just started to read it. You might want to fix the very first sentence:
    Tales Of Monkey Island was released to critical acclaim last year on PC, followed by ports on both Wii and PC.

;)

EDIT: Read it till the end. Was a nice, little, easy read :)
  • edited December 2010
    Farlander wrote: »
    Just started to read it. You might want to fix the very first sentence:

;)

EDIT: Read it till the end. Was a nice, little, easy read :)

Haha damn it! Fixed now, thanks! Amazing how you can read something ten times and not notice a mistake like that...

EDIT: I seem to recall quite a lot of discussion about the Wii version here in the forums when it was released. It is a shame that it is the inferior port, but I do believe the WiiWare size limit has a lot to do with that.
  • edited December 2010
    martymcfly wrote:
    it doesn’t surprise me that many fans have customised their map to counteract this oversight

Since I have the map and am a little bugged by the white border, too, I wonder if you can point me to threads about/images of such customized maps?

Also, the review is pretty good and helpful I say.
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited December 2010
    Guinea wrote: »
    Since I have the map and am a little bugged by the white border, too, I wonder if you can point me to threads about/images of such customized maps?
    Here's a picture, taken from the 87th (!) page of this thread.
  • edited December 2010
    Macfly77 wrote: »
    Here's a picture, taken from the 87th (!) page of this thread.

Thanks for finding that! I couldn't find it before, I knew I had seen it somewhere in here!
  • edited December 2010
    Well, that's nice, but what about the Mac version?
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited December 2010
    martymcfly wrote: »
    Thanks for finding that! I couldn't find it before, I knew I had seen it somewhere in here!
    No problem!
    By the way, great comparison!
    I personally played the PC version on my Mac (via CrossOver Games, before there was a Mac version) and loved every minute of it.
    I won the Wii version of "The Siege of Spinner Cay" by completing a survey and it's really night and day with the PC version quality-wise.
    Nintendo's restrictions for WiiWare might work for games made specifically for WiiWare, but they make porting PC games really hard.
  • edited December 2010
    Macfly77 wrote: »
    No problem!
    By the way, great comparison!
    I personally played the PC version on my Mac (via CrossOver Games, before there was a Mac version) and loved every minute of it.
    I won the Wii version of "The Siege of Spinner Cay" by completing a survey and it's really night and day with the PC version quality-wise.
    Nintendo's restrictions for WiiWare might work for games made specifically for WiiWare, but they make porting PC games really hard.

Thanks! The thing is, although I explained in my review that the WiiWare ports are inferior, it should really be put into perspective. Telltale actually did an amazing job squeezing 200meg games down to the 40mb limit and making them remain playable. Not an ideal situation, but working within Nintendo's limitations they probably did the best ports they could.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.