a drawing i made of max...

2»

Comments

• JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2007
    abdallah wrote: »
    No :D Hes a young man and more than able to take it. When I started art school at his age I was pissed off at the teachers in the beginning for being harsh, but I soon realized that the fact that they were made me learn a great deal.

1) Who says he's in art school?

2) You're not his teacher.
  • MelMel
    edited February 2007
    Daisy: What do you do Brian?
    Brian: I'm an artist.
    Tim: I'm an artist.
    Daisy: Oh, what kind of thing do you do?
    Brian: Anger. Pain. Fear. Aggression. (You really have to see this to appreciate this bit of dialogue.)
    Daisy: Watercolors or...?
    Brian: It's a bit more complex than that.
    Daisy: Tim does cartoons.
    Tim: It's a bit more complex than that.

:p
  • edited February 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    You're not his teacher.

I never asked to be, they forced me :D Yeah I know, but I was just saying why i dont believe in patting anyone on their head for no reason. He posted an image for people to comment on, and I dont think I was the only one who wasnt overly impressed by it, so I said so.
    I dont believe in patronizing people, he put the image on display and wanted comments, I commented the way I would anywhere else. And then I was asked to give him a rest so I said why I wouldnt.

In all fairness I think there were much harsher comments than mine before I wrote.
  • edited February 2007
    I never asked to be, they forced me :D Yeah I know, but I was just saying why i dont believe in patting anyone on their head for no reason. He posted an image for people to comment on, and I dont think I was the only one who wasnt overly impressed by it, so I said so.
    I dont believe in patronizing people, he put the image on display and wanted comments, I commented the way I would anywhere else. And then I was asked to give him a rest so I said why I wouldnt.

In all fairness I think there were much harsher comments than mine before I wrote.

I don't think he was actually asking for artistic evaluation or in fact ever indicated that he wanted to pursue a career in art, I think he just wanted to share a drawing he did. Enjoy it, or leave it alone.
  • edited February 2007
    Exactly. But at least one of your comments was constructive, abdallah. If G1orkatsos' goal is to be a professional artist/cartoonist, then he should think about taking classes in that field. If not, at least keep up the hobby.

My praise for the picture was directed at the cartoony style, and that seeing Max's heart through an X-ray machine made me chuckle.
  • edited February 2007
    Derwin wrote: »
    If G1orkatsos' goal is to be a professional artist/cartoonist, then he should think about taking classes in that field. If not, at least keep up the hobby.
    Yeah, this is true. Regardless of if you want to pursue a career as an artist or not, drawing and sketching helps you process information and make something new out of that. And I like the picture - it's certainly better than the things I doodled in school. :)
  • edited February 2007
    Then you better start working hard on your drawing techniques if youre serious. Im not kidding, its a tough profession and youve got a long long way to go so i have to tell it like it is when youre as old as you are.

Make still lifes and go to a good art class.

i thing i will listen to your advice... by the way, the lesson i had was History...
  • edited February 2007
    G1orkatsos wrote: »
    i thing i will listen to your advice... by the way, the lesson i had was History...
    Oh... so sketching is more interesting than history? :( As a future historian, that grieves me, but perhaps it's just that the teacher was boring, or the particular subject that was discussed?
  • edited February 2007
    G1orkatsos wrote: »

Im glad I didnt put an emotional scare on your soul for the rest of your life :)
    You might want to check out www.cgsociety.org if you want inspiration and see the best of the best digital artists.
    Also consider a Wacom Intuos 3 www.wacom.com/productinfo/intuos.cfm when you want to start making digital art.
    There are many online and free art classes and forums where you can get help. Just make sure the demands are lower than at CG Networks, because the talk is tough at the more professional places and any weaknesses are frowned upon.
    Drawing from life is the best way to quickly become better. And drawing is basically the key to all other visual art forms.
    A last tip, programs are somewhat expensive, so if you want to explore digital art (though i suggest mastering the pen first), you can get The Gimp www.gimp.org for free. Its a Photoshop clone, it does many things Photoshop does, but the interface is much worse. At least its free.
    And get a good teacher. Youll advance much quicker if theres someone to point out the mistakes, than learning on your own.
  • edited February 2007
    Well honestly, I have to finish Phd in Arts and Design to draw a pic like this (I am 26 by the way). I like your drawing. I think this is the best way to spend history class. Wish I was a better drawer. I used to write lousy poems about death and stuff!

Anyways, you have potential, skip school and let's start our own company :D
  • edited February 2007
    Haggis wrote: »
    Oh... so sketching is more interesting than history? :( As a future historian, that grieves me, but perhaps it's just that the teacher was boring, or the particular subject that was discussed?
    the teacher is WAY too boring... Trust me... When you are listening to him it is like hearing Darth Vader... His voice is soooooooo slow and boring... It is not that i dont like history... Its just the teacher...
    Im glad I didnt put an emotional scare on your soul for the rest of your life :)
    You might want to check out www.cgsociety.org if you want inspiration and see the best of the best digital artists.
    Also consider a Wacom Intuos 3 www.wacom.com/productinfo/intuos.cfm when you want to start making digital art.
    There are many online and free art classes and forums where you can get help. Just make sure the demands are lower than at CG Networks, because the talk is tough at the more professional places and any weaknesses are frowned upon.
    Drawing from life is the best way to quickly become better. And drawing is basically the key to all other visual art forms.
    A last tip, programs are somewhat expensive, so if you want to explore digital art (though i suggest mastering the pen first), you can get The Gimp www.gimp.org for free. Its a Photoshop clone, it does many things Photoshop does, but the interface is much worse. At least its free.
    And get a good teacher. Youll advance much quicker if theres someone to point out the mistakes, than learning on your own.

thanks for the info...
  • edited February 2007
    As a fairly relatively competent artist, I can comfortably say that these drawings are awesome. Anyone who claims otherwise is a nihilist and a terrorist.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.