What if Doc and Marty go to 2010!?

edited December 2010 in Back to the Future
What if in one of the episodes the duo go to the year 2010 and everything is exactly how it is. now your probably thinking "But 2015 is just 5 years away from now and I don't see us having Jaws 3D...(okay maybe we might...) or hover converted cars and skateboards. and it won't fit in the current back to the future timeline.

but 2010 can be an alternate timeline of the events of Back to The Future Part 2. It would be a nice easter egg of sorts.

Comments

• edited December 2010
    That'd be cool. Then Doc freaks out that he "may have seriously altered history" and Marty's all, "What happen to the flying cars?!?!" *looks at cellphones and laptops* "This place hardly looks any different than the 80s, just everything's smaller!!!".
  • edited December 2010
    KaiRubix wrote: »
    I don't see us having Jaws 3D...(okay maybe we might...)

ahem
    jaws_3d.jpg
  • edited December 2010
    That would be kinda funny, really. Especially since, as Zepton pointed out above, it's not terribly different from the 1980's except everything is more streamlined and smaller now. Would make for an interesting moment, for sure.
  • edited December 2010
    Marty would probably wonder what happened to all the good TV shows, movies, and toys of the 80's, and why it was all replaced by the garbage that kids love now.
  • edited December 2010
    Paro wrote: »
    Marty would probably wonder what happened to all the good TV shows, movies, and toys of the 80's, and why it was all replaced by the garbage that kids love now.

I remember reading a comment on a Soulja Boy (don't ask why, I got tricked by a friend) video on YouTube that said "What in the hell has happened to music?!"

Somehow, I could hear Marty saying that about a majority of the music on the airwaves today. O'lawd.
  • edited December 2010
    Marty would try and play Kinect, using a controller.

"You gotta use the controller? That's like a baby's toy!
  • edited December 2010
    Well, it's entirely possible that our 2010 is the current future of the BTTF universe, since the future is once again unwritten thanks to the events of Part III (and, of course, the upcoming events of the game), which changed the timeline once more. In all likelihood, Marty would probably consider our world to be a disappointing sack of crap compared to the wonders of Part II's 2015, just as 1985A and the upcoming new 1986B (with First Citizen Brown) seem awful compared to the normal 1985/6. In other words... this is the bad future!
  • edited December 2010
    IF Marty and Doc went to THIS year, I dont know... what could be shown? I think only the consoles, the current wars etc. Personally, I think if you wanna re-explore something, 1999 would be ok, Y2K hype, big stuff etc. But even that is minor. I would say 9-11 but that is a HIGHLY touchy time, not needed in a game.

Ill stick with my idea of the 1930s, Rosevelt era, Third Reich and so on, when things were closely monitored, one wrong move and your in trouble and not only the stereotype of the era could be used but actual history too. =)
  • edited December 2010
    "Wait... wait a minute Doc... are you telling me... that you've asked them to make a video game... out of us?!"
    "The way I see it, if one is to make a video game about Time Travel, why not do it with some style?"
  • jmmjmm
    edited December 2010
    And... that instead of "Made in Japan", everything right now is "Made in China"
  • edited December 2010
    jmm wrote: »

Nono, Lets make it more believable..

"Made in the United Confederate of America"

Tho.. "Made in USA" would be just as unrealistic I guess in a BTTF universe ;)
  • edited December 2010
    jmm wrote: »

"Wait Doc...are you telling me that American flags...are made in China?!" ;)
  • edited December 2010
    BiggerJ wrote: »
    Well, it's entirely possible that our 2010 is the current future of the BTTF universe, since the future is once again unwritten thanks to the events of Part III

It annoys me when people say that. Saying "your future isn't written yet" makes no sense when one can actually travel into the future to see what happens.

...and don't give me the projected-future theory either, because if travelling into the future meant visiting a place that wouldn't exist in the end, then there would be no reason for Doc to recruit Marty to save his kids.

Doc was only saying what he said at the end of 3 as words of encouragement. That doesn't make it scientific fact.
  • edited December 2010
    Actually Doc "saved" Martys kids as an experiment.
    He wanted to know if the future was fixed or not.

As it turned out, it wasn't.

So it wasn't just encouragement...it is an observed fact that the future isn't written yet.

Unfortunately if you travel into the past, the present becomes unwritten too.

Which can lead to all kinds of trouble.
  • edited December 2010
    Unfortunately if you travel into the past, the present becomes unwritten too.

Because in the past the present is the future. So you always change the future depending on where you are, when you are and what you're doing :p
  • edited December 2010
    Yeah, I agree they were just words of encouragement.

The note erased because he wasn't fired or simply because no one uses fax machines in the new future (like now). Probably the future just changed instead of not being written yet, because every year is a future to some year. 1985 is 1955's future, right? And it was written...

But it's probably not exactly the same as it was in Part II anymore, since Marty didn't hit the Rolles Royce and young Biff found that magazine and then got it taken by Marty.

There's the postman who met a guy that Doc predicted would be there at that exact minute 70 years later. Could have screwwed with his mind, maybe he went postal.

I'd say it's possible that somehow these things affected the future, but maybe in the course of the game more could be done to make the future more like now.

Actually, I'd say there was no reason for Doc to get Marty to save his kids.... Doc's just not all there sometimes.

Time travel is VERY confusing... :D
  • edited December 2010
    Krohn wrote: »

Actually Doc ruined Martys kids. With all that time traveling, then making Marty think about that "Chicken" thing. Marty never got into the wreck, so now that Martys self esteem isnt shot, who knows if he stays with Jennifer and has those kids. =p
  • edited December 2010
    Also, though our 2010 isn't nearly as outwardly different from 1985 as BTTF's 2015 is, there really are a lot of things that have changed since 1985.

Cellphones didn't exist in 1985, only pagers and car phones. In Star Trek 4, Kirk gets a call on his communicator, and the woman who he is with thinks he has a pager and asks if he's a doctor... until he talks to Scotty on it which confuses the heck out of her.

Personal computers aren't just smaller, they're also a WHOLE CRAP TON FASTER and and can hold a LOT more data.

Video Games. The 8-bit Nintendo Entertainment System was only just released to the US in 1985. Need I say more? Think of showing someone who has only seen graphics as good as Super Mario Bros. that you could play games that look as good as Call of Duty 4 live from the US with someone who is in Australia. In fact, game consoles are now so prolific and advanced that video arcades are all but dead.

The Internet. ah, the internet. Information can be spread so easily and so quickly nowadays it's ridiculous. And the internet is everywhere, we get access to it on our PCs, cellphones, video game consoles, ebook readers, cars... I mean, really. It's everywhere. And if you have a question about something, most anyone would tell you to just Google it to find out.
  • edited December 2010
    Krohn wrote: »

I never thought it was an experiment, but now that you mention it... He had a pretty solid plan, getting him futuristic clothing, intercepting his son and all.

But being the scientist that he his, he probably knew that just by bringing them into the future would mean a future where Biff saw them being kidnapped by that crazy old wacko with the flying car !

So, I guess you're right... Deep down, he probably just wanted to experiment with the delays/effectiveness of Time Ripples... See if he could sneak one up behind the universe's back.

Telling Marty & Jennifer this BS story about saving his children in the future was probably more fun than just going to 1985, warn him and go see if his speech changed anything.

I know I would use my time machine in the name of confusion and disbelief.
  • edited December 2010
    @Chyron: Well, sure. I guess, the world has changed somewhat. But i can still watch back to the future's 1985 segments and almost think they're nowadays... almost. No cell phones, no laptops, no internet, better graphics in video games, less arcades, slight differences in political world views, no one wears suspenders anymore, but were not THAT different... skate boards still have wheels :D

@Frankov: who wouldn't use their time machine to confuse people? :p
  • edited December 2010
    Actually thats true... The Delorean needs internet built in! How else is Marty gonna research to find out what happened to Doc and how history changed?
  • edited December 2010
    Doc on a laptop... "It says here that five minutes ago, your daughter changed her staus on Facebook. This causes a chain reaction that leads to terrible paradoxes."
  • edited December 2010
    Actually thats true... The Delorean needs internet built in! How else is Marty gonna research to find out what happened to Doc and how history changed?

You know, I think it would be actually cool if in the game we could add some modifictations to the DeLorean from each time period we visit. Dunno what modifications we could take from 1931, but, hey, something could be taken from there :p
    Doc on a laptop... "It says here that five minutes ago, your daughter changed her staus on Facebook. This causes a chain reaction that leads to terrible paradoxes."

You know, now that I think about it, I never imagined a ripple effect on digital stuff, tbh.
  • edited December 2010
    Hmm... I would like it if they would go to future and wonder why its all changed.
    Farlander wrote: »
    You know, now that I think about it, I never imagined a ripple effect on digital stuff, tbh.

ripple-effect-incompatibilities.gif
  • edited December 2010
    I've just realized that if they go to our time, it won't be 2010 - it'll be 2011 by then. 25 years after 1986, the game's 'present', just as 1931 is 55 years in its past. I like the idea of the new time periods being X5 years in the past or future instead of the films' X0.
  • edited December 2010
    Yeah, that's cool, it'd be like a homage to how all the years in the movies are XXX5. I like it! X5 number of time travel years, FTW!
  • edited December 2010
    I always thought that knowing your personal future will almost always change it (if the rules of time-travel says that it can be changed). Because you'll know what will happen, and will either try to do it or try to avoid it instead of letting it happen naturally.

Like, if a man see that in the future he is a millionaire, that man will not work anymore because he'll know that he'll get rich anyway, but turns out by doing this, he changed the future.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.