But you've done this before... Right ?

edited December 2010 in Back to the Future
I just rewatched the trailer, and I noticed that Marty seems to be "surprised" when the DeLorean starts fluxing... As if it was doing something unexpected.

I guess it can be attributed to the fact that no matter how many times you time-travel, you never really get used to having a wormhole open in your face while driving insanely fast.

But anyone think something is "different" about THAT DeLorean, to have Marty make a "What the hell" look on his face ?

Maybe the radio was playing and when the Delorean starts fluxing, the radio waves of both time periods kinda mix ? Ok, ok, this one is not valid.

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Yes, it might be just the uneasy feeling of reliving all the moments that passed 6 months ago; and then he mans up for the next adventure, for Doc's sake, just as Doc did for Marty at the Clock Tower. I think the DeLorean has something to do with that feeling just by being there :p
  • edited December 2010
    Yeah, a friend pointed it out to me, and I think its more like 'Uh oh, please don't let me crash into a tree that was here 55 years ago...' And then he's gone....:eek:
  • edited December 2010
    Remember, too, that Marty never ever time-traveled under non-stressful conditions. Let's recap the times where he drove in the DeLorean up to 88 miles per hour:

#1: Being chased by Libyans wielding a rocket launcher.
    #2: Racing against the clock (literally) to hit the wire with the connecting hook at precisely 10:04pm.
    #3: Was just told that his future kids were screwed up. Oh, yeah, the car is flying, too.
    #4: Dealing with a passed-out girlfriend and impressed about his bitchin' Hilldale address
    #5: Upset that Doc seems unfazed about leaving Jennifer in a hellish parallel world
    #6: Speeding toward a movie screen...and slightly peeved about his inability to think fourth-dimensionally
    #7: Rocketing toward the sheer cliff, being pushed by a locomotive, and confused how a toy hoverboard can support the weight of two grown adults.

So you see, Marty has never had a moment to enjoy driving down a street in the DeLorean, let alone examining it's bits and pieces.
  • edited December 2010
    I guess he's more squinting from the flashes than looking at the phenomenon with a confused look...

In any case, I'm pretty sure that even if Doc has a seemingly calm look on his face when breaking the time barrier, inside he's probably thinking "I sure hope this is still normal..."

I hope his future glasses have a Peril-Sensitive setting.
  • edited December 2010
    Frankov wrote: »
    I guess he's more squinting from the flashes than looking at the phenomenon with a confused look...

In any case, I'm pretty sure that even if Doc has a seemingly calm look on his face when breaking the time barrier, inside he's probably thinking "I sure hope this is still normal..."

I hope his future glasses have a Peril-Sensitive setting.

I think Marty's look before the serious "alright let's do this" face is him reacting to something other than the DeLorean. We don't know how he's receiving these instructions yet, so it could be that.

Also, I think that the reason Doc bought those glasses was to hide the fact that every time they time travel, his eyes are about as big as a frisbee pie plate.
  • edited December 2010
    I rewatched the trailer. Though it was after the shot where we were shown the Flux Capacitor, Marty's 'surprised' (or however you call it, 'serious' or 'let's do it' face) face is in fact watching not at the capacitor, but at the time date panel.
  • edited December 2010
    Don't forget, last time he was in a DeLorean time machine he almost got pwned by an oncoming train.
  • edited December 2010
    In all honesty.....I don't see Marty looking at the Flux Capacitor.
  • edited December 2010
    The part I was referring to is not when he's looking at the date panel, and I didn't talk about the flux capacitor, it's when the DeLorean starts breaking the time barrier.

To make it easier, I meant this particular facial expression :
    marty10.jpg

I think it's because of the speed at which he squints... He seems to have a dubious expression. At least I thought so.
  • edited December 2010
    Oh, you were talking about that.

I personally would squint a bit when my car would start sparkling like that (especially if I'm not used to it anymore. Didn't Marty squint in BttF1 during his first time travel?). I mean, it's kind of a natural reaction of the human organism to that kind of stuff.
  • edited December 2010
    Owh yeah...that part. Well I am pretty sure he's squinting because of the sparks.
    Marty did the same in BttF1 and BttF3.
  • edited December 2010
    Origami wrote: »
    Owh yeah...that part. Well I am pretty sure he's squinting because of the sparks.
    Marty did the same in BttF1 and BttF3.

That's what I thought too, same as in BTTF3, that's why I really liked that they put that expression in.
  • edited December 2010
    I can tell you why he's making that face. It's called being dramatic.
  • edited December 2010
    I was just pointing out that the squinting animation/speed they used looks a lot like a "what the hell" expression.

And it probably is, since it looks a lot like the facial animation when he's turning around in Doc's lab, after hearing the DeLorean appear.

On another note : I think it's seriously time this game is released... Some of the posts I've been reading here have become increasingly aggressive lately. :D

Or I might just not be as hardcore a fan as I previously thought :)
  • edited December 2010
    I disagree.
    The shocked animation and the squinting look vastly different to me.

And the 'squinting' eyes part is my fav part of the trailer. I get goosebumps at that part.
    Nohomo. >.>
  • edited December 2010
    Definitely just a homage to when he squints during the movies
  • edited December 2010
    I want to stress that I am not complaining about the way it looks, or nitpicking the animation. There's no real confusion about his expression, it's just something I thought other people might have noticed.

TellTale has done a wonderful job so far and since my interest is at it's zenith, I just wanted to waste some time talking about it here (and what better place?).
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    No problem! Nice to hear that. :D

Also I agree on us both thinking fourth dimensionally lol.

And what you said was correct on how I view it.
    To me the Marty we follow is the Alpha-Marty. The Marty that changes things. (Same applies to Doc)
    Ofcourse the past version of person can still change something, but this because it is directly or indirectly influenced by the Alpha version.
    (Like how 1955 Doc plans to wear a Bullet-Proof Vest in 1985)

The problem I have with your way of viewing is to accept everything already is pre-determined.
    Meaning the Doc was supposed to get hit by lightning and return to 1885 thus the DeLorean is already there.
  • edited December 2010
    Well, so far let me say that you seem very knowledgeable about the physics of BTTF, and you're probably the one who could enlighten me.

First off, I'm going to disassociate Primer from Back To The Future (I realized I wasn't really following the BTTF rules of time travel) and to make sure, tell me if I'm applying the BTTF rules correctly :

Let's say Doc didn't send Einstein 1 min in the future for his first test and tried the following :

Although this is a paradox all by itself, but let's entertain the notion... Let's say Doc had a plan... Some sort of 'calculated' paradox.

He goes to a remote corner of the parking of TwinPine Mall, and concentrates :

"I'm going to send the DeLorean back to this exact moment in precisely one minute. Noone is around, Marty is at home, Einstein is sleeping in the U-Haul and those shifty Libyans are probably playing pinball..."

He sets the timer in the Delorean to 01:20:00 for now, closes the door and prepares a few feet away with his remote-control in hand.

The time is now : 01:19:30

He stares in the horizon intensely, and waits for the timer to reach 1:20.

What happens :

If I'm applying the rules correctly, and tell me if I'm correct, is that nothing happens. Because he has to send the car back, meaning the FIRST iteration of Doc doesn't see it.

But what if nothing happens, and he thinks "Alright... This is expected... I'm most obviously my first iteration... What the hell, I'll just send a gift to my second iteration."

He activates the remote-control and the DeLorean disappears into nothingness... Leaving this Doc with only fire trails to show for his missing family fortune.

However, could a second iteration of Doc Brown receive it ? If he does, could he decide to keep the original and have 2... What's the worst that could happen, one of them disappears ? It's just an inanimate object.

As we've seen in this trailer, it's possible to time travel without anyone inside the DeLorean... But does that mean we can only send an empty DeLorean in the future, and not in the past ?

Looking forward to your thoughts on this !
  • edited December 2010
    If I'm applying the rules correctly, and tell me if I'm correct, is that nothing happens. Because he has to send the car back, meaning the FIRST iteration of Doc doesn't see it.

If you would follow my rule, then yes he would have to send it first.
    EDIT: Could you explain this part in more detail. I don't think I quite follow what you mean.
    However, could a second iteration of Doc Brown receive it ? If he does, could he decide to keep the original and have 2... What's the worst that could happen, one of them disappears ? It's just an inanimate object.

No. Because if the present Doc send the DeLorean to the future Doc he loses it, right?(because he just sent it) so future Doc still ends up with 1 DeLorean. I can't keep a ball that I just tossed you. :p
    As we've seen in this trailer, it's possible to time travel without anyone inside the DeLorean... But does that mean we can only send an empty DeLorean in the future, and not in the past ?

The fans specualte the DeLorean is empty because the remote control aspect will be re-introduced, judging from the game art. We can assume at this point it was send RC'ed.

And to address the second question: It is possible to receive a DeLorean from the future(if we accept the DeLorean never got destroyed). But, by my rules, only if the first iteration of Doc is in the future and HE send it.

I would prefer not to think that a 'second iteration' will ever send the 'first iteration' a DeLorean from the future. Why? Because that would mean the heroes from the movie can control everything with their mind as you pointed out. Like "I am going to think really hard on planning to travel to the past in the future and save x person from dying thus he will be alive right now."

It would make up a bad narrative thus we can accept something along those lines to never happen within the BttF universe.

EDIT: There is an instance where I would allow a future version to visit the first iteration.
    If the motive of the future person travelled back because of an event in the FUTURE that the first iteration is not aware of yet. So not because the first iteration planned on coming back in the future.
    But I can't speak on behalf of the creators. As of now it hasn't happened yet in the trilogy.

Out of curiousity, have you watched the original three movies?
    If not, how did you find out about this game and what caught your interest?
    You watched Primer which would lead me to think you're fan of such time travel stories.
    But then I wouldn't understand why you wouldn't have seen the original trilogy yet.
    I'd have to deduce you have either seen the trilogy or seen it too long ago to remember clearly.
  • edited December 2010
    I think you misread, the 1st Iteration Doc would send the Delorean in the present, meaning he wouldn't send it to the future (like in the movie).

That would be the same as with Einstein, but without Einstein inside :)

I'm suggesting, sending it to the present. Or the past, depends, it gets a bit confusing.

- You set the timer to a precise time, in the VERY near future. Let's say in 1 min.
    - But you don't send it right away.
    - You instead, look a couple of miles in the direct path of the Delorean.
    - You never touch your remote-control, but you PLAN on using it.

So essentially, he would PLAN to "spawn" a new Delorean into existance, simply by :

- Having all the means necessary (IE: A DeLorean on standby)
    - Being at the location where it would appear

If the Delorean doesn't appear at the set time in front of his eyes, this means he his the first iteration of Doc.

He decides to send the Delorean to the past anyway, knowing that it didn't show up.

Would Doc #2 see a Delorean appear out of nowhere. And what could it do ?

- Would he send the current stand-by Delorean in the Past to make sure he doesn't create a Paradox
    - Or say : The hell with it, it's a Delorean, an inanimate object... What's the worst that could happen if I don't send the original back. (This is probably where the "time ripples" would erase the duplicate time machine that was never sent back)

Anyway off to some sleep but we'll continue tomorrow, hope this is clearer :)

*Edit : I agree this would make for a bad narrative, I wouldn't dream of changing ANY moment in the trilogy, but this does make for a fun subject to discuss :D
  • edited December 2010
    Something I wonder: Could somebody from the past, before the time machine was invented, use the time machine? Or would that create a paradox? If 1955 Doc took the DeLorean to go to 1985, what would happen? Would he even be able to? This scenario was never explored in the trilogy. I wonder if it will be in the game.
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    I think it would be possible.
    As long as the second iteration doesn't change his mind about building the time machine.
    In Doc's case there is nothing to worry. I think one trip into the future would only further motivate him to build the delorean.

@Frankov,

Owh I adressed that I think. I said according to my rules it wouldn't happen since the 'first iteration' has to actually do it. That's how I look at it.
    If not, some parts of the trilogy would fall apart I think.
    For instance the changing newspaper and Biff matchbox. Because Marty was already determined to succeed on burning the almanac shouldn't the newspaper and matchbox change earlier?
    At least change a second before Doc tells him to burn it? ;)
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    I think it would be possible.
    As long as the second iteration doesn't change his mind about building the time machine.
    In Doc's case there is nothing to worry. I think one trip into the future would only further motivate him to build the delorean.
    The reason I ask, in Doc's case specifically, is how would you be able to use something that you yourself haven't invented yet? That is, inventing a time machine, sending it to your past self and saying "you can have it". One could argue that it would work as long as 1955 Doc still intends to build the time machine in his future, but as was already noted, intensions don't seem to "register" with the space-time continuum.

Alternately, what if 1955 Biff had tried to use the time machine while 2015 Biff was in 1955 to give him the almanac?
  • edited December 2010
    Mind if I give my point of view? :)
    markeres wrote: »
    Could somebody from the past, before the time machine was invented, use the time machine? *snip* If 1955 Doc took the DeLorean to go to 1985, what would happen? Would he even be able to? This scenario was never explored in the trilogy.

In fact, it was presented in the Trilogy, but not stated:

Marty and Jennifer see their Future selves, so this future would imply that they came back to 1985, married and had kids; but the Future isn't written and they haven't got back yet, so how can their future selves be in 2015? That's the big paradox in BTTFII.

About Doc sending the DeLorean 1 minute into the past -as I got the escence of the previous posts, might need to read them again-; I believe the DeLorean would appear in its departure point as if it had been there for a whole minute already, creating an alternate timeline that "overwrites" the first (ripple effect, yadda yadda :D). Same as the mine DeLorean "appearing" in the mine (and the postman appears on the road) as if it had been there for 70 years, as the flying one gets struck by lightning and sent to 1885, transforming the timeline into a new one around Marty.
  • edited December 2010
    Marty and Jennifer see their Future selves, so this future would imply that they came back to 1985, married and had kids; but the Future isn't written and they haven't got back yet, so how can their future selves be in 2015? That's the big paradox in BTTFII.

That's why traveling back in time is more fun. :P
    Bob Gale agrees in the GT episode.
  • edited December 2010
    Carlos85G wrote: »
    That's a case of somebody from the "present" (where the time machine already exists) traveling to the future, though. My theory is, if 1985 Marty and Jennifer were to spend enough time in 2015, their 2015 selves will fade away due to the ripple effect, with 1985 Marty and Jennifer taking their places (albeit still teenagers). The reason both 1985 and 2015 Marty and Jennifer are allowed to co-exist is because of the "overlap" the ripple effect provides before it catches up or a permanent change has been made.
  • edited December 2010
    I don't get this overlap in the ripple effect.
    Plzzz explain.
  • edited December 2010
    I don't get this overlap in the ripple effect.
    The same reason Marty doesn't fade immediately when he pushes George out of the way of the car. He's allowed some time to correct his mistake before he fades, or until it becomes 100% certain that he will never be conceived. Although it also helps that the ripple effect started with his older siblings. :)
  • edited December 2010
    That's a case of somebody from the "present" (where the time machine already exists) traveling to the future, though. My theory is, if 1985 Marty and Jennifer were to spend enough time in 2015, their 2015 selves will fade away due to the ripple effect, with 1985 Marty and Jennifer taking their places (albeit still teenagers). The reason both 1985 and 2015 Marty and Jennifer are allowed to co-exist is because of the "overlap" the ripple effect provides before it catches up or a permanent change has been made.

But why would the ripple effect have a delay -either fixed or variable-? The timeline is changed by actions, not by thoughts; so, Marty and Jennifer thinking on staying or not should be irrelevant :confused:
    The same reason Marty doesn't fade immediately when he pushes George out of the way of the car.

But Sam Baines hitting George with the car is not the key point in Marty's existence, but the kiss on the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance: as that moment becomes unlikely to happen, it affects the entire McFly ascendance :)
  • edited December 2010
    *Sorry, Double Post*

Please, delete this.
  • edited December 2010
    The kiss was one of many key points.
    I agree with Markeres.
    It's all decided by the likeliness. The more of these keypoints are screwed up the more the chance of Lorraine and George hooking up getting diminished.
    So it's not that everything resided on that kiss from the very beginning.
    But with how things turned out it would've been the final blow.
  • edited December 2010
    Quite agree.

One week could have A LOT of timeline key points.

I still consider the kiss the main one ;)
  • edited December 2010
    But why would the ripple effect have a delay -either fixed or variable-? The timeline is changed by actions, not by thoughts; so, Marty and Jennifer thinking on staying or not should be irrelevant :confused:
    The ripple effect seems to work based on ever-changing probabilites. When the probability of something happening in the past hits 100%, the future changes right away. That's why Old Biff fades right away after he returns to 2015, since in the new time line, he's been dead since the '90s. It's also the same reason why the matchbook and newspapers change immediately when Marty burns the almanac. However, "slow fades" happen whenever there's an anomaly: Possibly preventing your own birth, or visiting the future. The only possible explanation for why 2015 Marty and Jennifer are there when 1985 Marty and Jennifer visit (other than calling BS on the movie), is that 2015 Marty and Jennifer will eventually fall victim to the "slow fade" if 1985 Marty and Jennifer don't return to the past in time (exactly how much time is another matter). And if/when 1985 M & J do return to the past, 2015 M & J will reappear.
    Oh, but Sam hitting George with the car is not the key point in Marty's existence, but the kiss on the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance.:)
    But the fading of the picture starts right away after he pushes George. He has the week until the kiss to correct his mistake. During which time the picture of his siblings continues to "slow fade".
  • edited December 2010
    *snip* 2015 Marty and Jennifer will eventually fall victim to the "slow fade" if 1985 Marty and Jennifer don't return to the past in time (exactly how much time is another matter). *snip*

This is what I find interesting, what would determine the time needed for Future Marty and Jennifer to erase from existence -not counting wish to stay by the younger selves-?...
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    I am also now convinced that if Marty and Jennifer stayed too long in 2015 the future counter-parts and offspring might have gotten erased.
  • edited December 2010
    This is what I find interesting, what would determine the time needed for Future Marty and Jennifer to erase from existence -not counting wish to stay by the younger selves-?...
    I don't know, but it's obviously more than a day. :D

It may just be relative to how far into the future you travel, but there's no way of knowing what the exact correlation is (unless Bob Gale says something about it). Here's another interesting thing to consider based on that logic: I believe that when Doc sends Einstein 1 minute into the future, Einstein arrives in a future where a "1 minute in the future Einstein" exists, but this Future Einstein fades away nearly instantaneously when Time Traveler Einstein arrives because of the shortness of the travel time (i.e. 1 minute). Time Traveler Einstein immediately takes Future Einstein's place, just as 1985 Marty and Jennifer will eventually take 2015 Marty and Jennifer's place.
  • edited December 2010
    The only plothole that remains for me is why there are suddenly two Marty's and two Doc's in 1955A.
    I could only think of that the main Marty and main Doc would've also gotten erased after a whil because of the ripple effect.

1985A seems like a reality where Doc didn't create the DeLorean and Marty never time-traveled.
  • edited December 2010
    But how much would be "too long" for the Space-Time Continuum and why? :o

And the alternate 1985 still baffles me with questions :p
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    Who created the universe? Why do we exist?
    Questions that are better left unanswered :p
Sign in to comment in this discussion.