Game data folder isn't located in "My Games"

It's a bit annoying when a bunch of games decide they have to have a folder in the main "My Documents" folder rather than going to either the %appdata% or My Documents\My Games folders.

Is it possible to change this? If not, could this be looked into? It'd make backing the files up much easier.

Thanks

Comments

• edited December 2010
    ...really? It's really that hard to browse one folder over?

Are you sure you know how to use a computer?
  • edited December 2010
    Kyronea wrote: »
    ...really? It's really that hard to browse one folder over?

Are you sure you know how to use a computer?
    In that case, why dont they just put the files all over the desktop, the windows directory maybe, system 32, etc?

It's not hard, it's annoying to have to add a separate line to a backup script because one developer doesn't put their data files in the directories that were created for that purpose.
  • edited December 2010
    Oh, okay, I see what you mean. Fair enough.
  • edited December 2010
    linear4 wrote: »
    In that case, why dont they just put the files all over the desktop, the windows directory maybe, system 32, etc?

It's not hard, it's annoying to have to add a separate line to a backup script because one developer doesn't put their data files in the directories that were created for that purpose.

If you don't like it then don't play.
  • edited December 2010
    jaden551 wrote: »
    What a pointless comment. Do you think games should be entirely free of criticism?
  • edited December 2010
    furrykef wrote: »
    What a pointless comment. Do you think games should be entirely free of criticism?

There is a difference in saying that a game is bad and you find something wrong wih it but saying data isn't in a certain place is just one of the things that if you get far enough to get a save file you must've pretty much completed the game and there is nothing to strive for so the save file is uneeded.
  • edited December 2010
    Wow, what convoluted logic you use to try to justify saying "It's not worth it." Either way it would only apply to certain games.

To OP, I agree; It is not that hard to put things in the My Games folder. Vista/7 encourage it, and it's not entirely incompatible with XP. It's something I wish more companies, like Telltale, would do, but it doesn't matter quite so much to me.
  • edited December 2010
    There is a difference in saying that a game is bad and you find something wrong wih it but saying data isn't in a certain place is just one of the things that if you get far enough to get a save file you must've pretty much completed the game and there is nothing to strive for so the save file is uneeded.
    What if I wanted to get $1,000,000 in the game and have it on record? What if I wanted to keep the deck and table unlocks? I don't know where you're getting this "the save file is unneeded" from.

Also, if the issue didn't matter, this thread wouldn't have been created. It honestly sounds to me like you're a fanboy who is hurt that somebody, horror of horrors, found a fault with the game.
  • edited December 2010
    furrykef wrote: »
    What if I wanted to get $1,000,000 in the game and have it on record? What if I wanted to keep the deck and table unlocks? I don't know where you're getting this "the save file is unneeded" from.

Also, if the issue didn't matter, this thread wouldn't have been created. It honestly sounds to me like you're a fanboy who is hurt that somebody, horror of horrors, found a fault with the game.

Faults with the game are fine but finding fault with a system like how a game saves is just stupid
  • edited December 2010
    If you don't like my post, don't reply to it.

That doesn't even begin to make sense. I back up my data. I would like to backup the data for this game, but because it doesn't put its data where most of my other games do, it creates one more hassle to backing it up.
    Faults with the game are fine but finding fault with a system like how a game saves is just stupid
    You can extend that convoluted logic to anything. Just because YOU don't find something annoying/useful doesn't mean it won't benefit somebody else. And especially since there is no reason not to have the saves in the "correct" folder, which Vista/7 encourage, I don't see why you have a problem with my request at all.
  • edited December 2010
    jaden probably mistook the OP for a troll. The troll count increased after the release of BTTF for some reason. He wanted to get angry to one of them but it blew on his face. He probably thinks you're solely nitpicking but I don't see you actually insulting the developers or how much ass this game sucks, so it's alright.

As for little complaints, we can all have one. Plus, saved game datas do pose as a problem sometimes. Poker Night at The Inventory is known to erase player data time to time, and it would help players to have their own backup saves before it does so, and easy access to the saved game data is important if you take that into account.
  • edited December 2010
    finding fault with a system like how a game saves is just stupid
    I could say the same thing about finding fault with threads like this.

Honestly, why does it bother you so much? The OP's probably just trying to help, since it's in everybody's best interests for software to behave in a consistent way, even for the little things. (Lots of "little things" can add up, y'know.)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.