So how long till another series or Monkey Island game?

I, like many here were sad during the 9 year wait for a new Monkey Island game. Me and probably a lot of people were probably spamming the LucasArts forums and emailing Ron Gilbert and Tim Schafer into trying to find a way to bring it back. Eventually our prays were answered and the grog swilling Guybrush returned in both an update version of the first game and a new Fifth title in the series by Telltale. This year we saw also LeChuck's Revenge re-released with updated graphics and full voice cast.

Now the question, which I'm sure everyone is thinking, is when will the next chapter in the epic saga be released?
Hopefully something will come along or be announced. Will Telltale ever plan to do a second series? or if so another full game?
If not, at least some sort of material like a comic series by Steve Purcell or some short videos, or maybe even a game book.
But hopefully we wont have to wait a long time again like we did before :(.

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Well now that Rodriguez has been booted from Lucasarts, considering he was the one who breathed life back into Monkey Island again, I doubt the new Lucasarts leader would be interested in Monkey Island again, so we could be back on the waiting bench whilst they do more Star Wars games again.

On the plus side, isn't Ron Gilbert still working at Double Fine? We should be seeing what mad experiments come from Ron and Tim over the year!
  • edited December 2010
    Does the fact that Rodriguez is gone mean that telltale may not be able to get the MI license for a TOMI 2?
  • edited December 2010
    Ash735 wrote: »
    Well now that Rodriguez has been booted from Lucasarts, considering he was the one who breathed life back into Monkey Island again, I doubt the new Lucasarts leader would be interested in Monkey Island again, so we could be back on the waiting bench whilst they do more Star Wars games again.

On the plus side, isn't Ron Gilbert still working at Double Fine? We should be seeing what mad experiments come from Ron and Tim over the year!

Was there a reason why he got booted, just curious?
  • edited December 2010
    vitas wrote: »
    Was there a reason why he got booted, just curious?

Probably went like this:

Rodriguez: from now on, we'll cut back on the Star Wars games and focus on bringing back our other IPs from our rich history of quality games. It's good for the future.
    LucasArts shareholders: "fuck, get this guy fired ASAP!"
  • edited December 2010
    I honestly don't understand why LucasArts wouldn't be interested in letting Telltale make another season of Monkey Island. They have to contribute barely anything besides the license, and they make money from it. Telltale does the rest.
  • edited December 2010
    I always hold onto hope that Guybrush will swash those buckles another day.... but I always know that waiting is the second most common thing for a MI fan to do.
  • edited December 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    ...waiting is the second most common thing for a MI fan to do.

fry.jpg?1241737701
  • edited December 2010
    For some reason, I have a feeling we'll see a new Monkey Island game by Telltale for 2012, after BTTF and JP are done.
  • edited December 2010
    I actually am somewhat scared that they'll decide to ask Double Fine to develop, seeing as 2/3 of the original team works there as opposed to 1/3.
  • edited December 2010
    And how is that scary? Having Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert working on a Monkey Island game can only be a good thing, imo. Double Fine can certainly write a decent (and funny) story.
  • edited December 2010
    StarEye wrote: »
    And how is that scary? Having Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert working on a Monkey Island game can only be a good thing, imo. Double Fine can certainly write a decent (and funny) story.

And they'll make it a MMO that suddenly turns into a Solitare Match at the end. Plus they'll cast a bunch of celebrities that have done nothing good in the past 10+ years to voice the leads. Then it'll do terribly because it was too short.
  • edited December 2010
    Yes because Psychonauts and Brutal Legend were terrible games.

Oh wait, no they weren't. Besides, you really think they'd make it into a genre? I'm baffled by the lack of confidence in a brilliant team such as Double Fine.
  • edited December 2010
    Yes because Psychonauts and Brutal Legend were terrible games.

Oh wait, no they weren't. Besides, you really think they'd make it into a genre? I'm baffled by the lack of confidence in a brilliant team such as Double Fine.

Yeah that would be great. Really I don't know why people hate Brutal Legend.

Plus what if Telltale and Double Fine worked together on a game lol
  • edited December 2010
    yes because psychonauts and brutal legend were terrible games.

Oh wait, yes they were.

:|

• edited December 2010
    :|

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy them, but don't expect your bad taste is shared by everyone.
  • edited December 2010
    psychonaughts was awesome.... Brutal Legend was good. Costume Quest was fun.
    Stacking looks like it will be original.

Double Fine is a pretty decent company... I wouldn't mind playing a Monkey Island game through them.... but you can pretty much say goodbye to a PC release if it ends up there.

But we know TTG knows how to make a MI game... so why change now?
  • edited December 2010
    Well, they've only made two "big" retail games so far, so their PC release in that area is 50% (Psychonauts is on PC). And if they were to make a Monkey Island game, I'm pretty sure that LucasArts would want them to aim for where the majority of the series' fans are, which would be the PC.

But we just have to wait and see.
  • edited December 2010
    we still have Craig derrick at Lucas arts. don't give up all hope
  • edited December 2010
    My taste in games is pretty lame.

Oh wait, yes it is!

How come can someone hate Psychonauts, dude? D:
Sign in to comment in this discussion.