Before I buy...

edited December 2010 in Back to the Future
I would first like to say that i love Telltale games a lot, i think that they are the best adventure developers.

But I got Sam and Max Season 3 recently from Steam and I was appalled.

WTF is with the controls! Sersiosly what were they thinking...Analog stick popping up? What the hell. Not even in the worst console ports have I seen such BS. The game is unplayable with a mouse...

I can't play the game with a mouse, no way. I have to use keyboard ..All i want is to unwind and play the game with one hand. Are the PS3 sales really that good, so you just port the PC version? The PS3 version is the focus here really ? Not the audience that was there from the start ? Really i just want to point and click like any other PC adventure game it's not much to ask for. I don't even want to finish the season now because the controls are so bad. And what the hell is with that wheel that paraphrases stuff? I hate it! I want traditional dialogue!

Is BTTF with bad controls like that? If it is, hell no, I'm skipping.

Comments

• edited December 2010
    MIcoo11 wrote: »
    I would first like to say that i love Telltale games a lot, i think that they are the best adventure developers.

But I got Sam and Max Season 3 recently from Steam and I was appalled.

WTF is with the controls! Sersiosly what were they thinking...Analog stick popping up? What the hell. Not even in the worst console ports have I seen such BS. The game is unplayable with a mouse...

I can't play the game with a mouse, no way. I have to use keyboard ..All i want is to unwind and play the game with one hand. Are the PS3 sales really that good, so you just port the PC version? The PS3 version is the focus here really ? Not the audience that was there from the start ? Really i just want to point and click like any other PC adventure game it's not much to ask for. I don't even want to finish the season now because the controls are so bad. And what the hell is with that wheel that paraphrases stuff? I hate it! I want traditional dialogue!

Is BTTF with bad controls like that? If it is, hell no, I'm skipping.

Umm... you can also use the arrow keys. The analog stick is intended for those who have one (like the PS3 or if you have a PC analog stick.) You don't have to use it to play!
  • edited December 2010
    Umm... you can also use the arrow keys. The analog stick is intended for those who have one (like the PS3 or if you have a PC analog stick.) You don't have to use it to play!

But i want to point and click, like i could with the previous games and every PC adventure title...

I may be in the minority but it's unplayable for me.

Analog stick ona a mouse, wtf?

And is BTTF the same or not?
  • edited December 2010
    But i want to point and click, like i could with the previous games and every PC adventure title...

I may be in the minority but it's unplayable for me.

Analog stick ona a mouse, wtf?

I have one- I like flight sims. But, yeah, I'm in a minority on that one. I use the arrow keys for ToMI, Devil's Playhouse, etc.
  • edited December 2010
    Well screw that !

Grrr

I'm gonna get something off steam, like the Sherlock Holmes collection which looks awesome.

I hope telltale sells to the PS3 and people with analogue sticks on their mouse demographic.

Good day sirs!

(I'm not really that upset :D, but i can't really play it with that control scheme.)
  • edited December 2010
    If you can't play with that control scheme, don't get the Sherlock Holmes collection, since many of them use a WASD+mouse control scheme and you'll be disappointed again
  • edited December 2010
    The reason it's like that is for Cinematic angles, so you don't need to see the floor in every place you go.
  • edited December 2010
    The Awakened has a remastered eddition, which you can play as point and click. You can play Jack the Ripper and Silver Earing like this as well. 75 % off woo!
    The reason it's like that is for Cinematic angles, so you don't need to see the floor in every place you go.

There were only a few scenes like this. Most of the time you were walking around big areas and you can see the floor.

And why couldn't you just hold the mouse button to move. Instead of placing an analogue stick on your screen which is impossible to control.
  • edited December 2010
    Well screw that !

Grrr

I'm gonna get something off steam, like the Sherlock Holmes collection which looks awesome.

I hope telltale sells to the PS3 and people with analogue sticks on their mouse demographic.

Good day sirs!

(I'm not really that upset :D, but i can't really play it with that control scheme.)

Seesh, we dont know yet what the control scheme is, from the video I thought it was mouse control. We'll find out in a few hours.
  • edited December 2010
    Hopefully, there'll be a demo so that we can try the control scheme.
  • edited December 2010
    I like the point and click control too.... BUT once you get used to the new controls... it makes it more of a cinematic experience and allows you into the world in new ways... just give it more of a chance you will warm up to it.
  • edited December 2010
    I'm glad P&C is gone. It was annoying.
  • edited December 2010
    3D and P&C don't work.

Just play Jack Keane/Gabriel Knight 3 and honestly tell me it's not the most excruciating way of control ever...
  • edited December 2010
    What I hate the most is clicking and clicking to go all the way through a scrolling background. That's even annoying in classic P&C's. The one thing I miss about parser games.
  • edited December 2010
    You gotta use your hands? That's like a baby's toy!
  • edited December 2010
    "If you can't play with that control scheme, don't get the Sherlock Holmes collection, since many of them use a WASD+mouse control scheme and you'll be disappointed again"

You can play all of them how you want, even Awakened. They released a patch adding point and click.

"I like the point and click control too.... BUT once you get used to the new controls... it makes it more of a cinematic experience and allows you into the world in new ways... just give it more of a chance you will warm up to it."

Sounds like an excuse. Why is it when i click on things, Sam goes towards them, but i can't click on the floor to move between screens. I admit i only completed the first episode of the season, but there wasn't one time where i couldn't see the floor to click on. The first two were 3D too, yet they worked perfectly.

Instead it tries to emulate an analog stick and does it baddly... This just screams lousy porting and no care for the PC version.
  • edited December 2010
    Why is it when i click on things, Sam goes towards them, but i can't click on the floor to move between screens.

Because then they'd need to make the entire floor a hotspot?

I'm not crazy about click-and-drag, but I got used to it pretty quickly, and I like using arrow keys, and if I really want to click and move, there's always an object I can click on anyway.
  • edited December 2010
    Click&Drag isn't the greatest advancement in adventure control history, but I never use it anyway. Arrow controls are just fine.
  • edited December 2010
    Sounds like an excuse. Why is it when i click on things, Sam goes towards them, but i can't click on the floor to move between screens. I admit i only completed the first episode of the season, but there wasn't one time where i couldn't see the floor to click on. The first two were 3D too, yet they worked perfectly.

Changing the controls to click-and-drag completely freed the designers of showing the player the floor in EVERY scene. There are some foreground elements and stuff in the game in various scenes. If it was point and click, you would have problems with such seemingly insignificant places.

You can use your mouse. In fact, I find it easier than point-and-click. Just click on somewhere and drag your mouse to a direction. Now you can make Sam walk through an entire scene with only one mouse click. You could never do it in previous seasons.
  • edited December 2010
    I'd just like to point out that, to my knowledge, Telltale does the PC versions first, so they aren't ported.

As to why they have the analog sticks pop up, I have no idea.
  • edited December 2010
    Heh it's strange really. Click and drag was a last minute adaptation to TMI because people were complaining about not being able to use just the mouse to control the game.
  • edited December 2010
    Fausk wrote: »
    I'd just like to point out that, to my knowledge, Telltale does the PC versions first, so they aren't ported.

As to why they have the analog sticks pop up, I have no idea.

They make the PC version first, yes, but they made the PC version with the knowledge and plans of porting the game for PS3 too.
  • edited December 2010
    Now you can make Sam walk through an entire scene with only one mouse click. You could never do it in previous seasons.

I found out about this in the Strong Bad games. It's a clever control scheme. It also works with double clicking for running.
  • edited December 2010
    The only TellTale game I tried so far was the 1st episode of the 1st season of Sam & Max and the first episode of ToMI.

I guess that means I've tried the classic controls and the new controls.

I didn't really like the "click and hold" to move in ToMI and resorted to use the keyboard to move, and the mouse to look at stuff.

Point is, there was enough alternatives for me to choose a control scheme I was comfortable with.

It certainly beats moving with the arrow keys and having to type everything you want to do, which is what I was accustomed to when playing adventure games back in the days.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.