Sam and Max Abridged

edited February 2012 in Sam & Max
I'm surprised no one's mentioned this yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K6mA_EOvAM

I've watched it, and it's really funny!

Comments

• edited December 2010
    The writing is good but the voices... yikes.
  • edited December 2010
    "DRIVING!"

LOL, it's funny because their voice are so silly. But the dialogue's good, and I love how they did Bosco.

Also, epic win for the MAH BOI bit at the end. XD
  • edited December 2010
    I didn't like it at all besides that there were several jokes stolen from the Yu-gi-oh abridged pilot. Wait no, whole lines.
  • edited December 2010
    I couldn't finish watching it. It's terrible. Sorry. :/
  • edited December 2010
    I shut it off as soon as Bosco started talking.
  • edited December 2010
    That was really...not good. I couldn't even watch it all the way.

Also, I get the feeling the guy who made it is one of those people who hates the Telltale episodes simply because they're not Hit the Road.
  • edited December 2010
    ...No, I couldn't watch the whole thing. :/ The guy tried, but it's honestly not that funny. I just think the guy expected more people to play along with the 'poking fun at Telltale/the first game was the best' thing. (As much fodder as the studio is, with recycling models and the like, it still does quite well. o_o; )

Also, I get the feeling the guy who made it is one of those people who hates the Telltale episodes simply because they're not Hit the Road.

Methinks it's BadAsp - I could be wrong.
  • edited December 2010
    1nky wrote: »
    Methinks it's BadAsp - I could be wrong.

Given that he is the one who started this topic, that seems likely.
  • edited December 2010
    Okay, it's me. I only did this because I didn't appreciate being banned the first time around. I had to do this...

I know that what I may have done to several people on this forum may have been wrong... but the truth is, I don't like when some people on this forum have done wrong to me. I have feelings too, you know.

Anyway, I had to make the video because I don't think anyone has made an "abridged series" for the Sam and Max franchise. I may have stolen jokes from LittleKuriboh, but I'll try to cut down on doing that in the future. As for sound quality, I will use Audacity instead of Sound Recorder (which is what I used here).

Please don't ban me again. I really want to be here.
  • edited December 2010
    that was cussey, and what dies abridged mean
  • edited December 2010
    "Abridged" means condensed, or shortened.
  • edited December 2010
    You might also want to use more voices than just you, or try to change your voice more, Sped up and slowed down voices can be too weird.
  • edited December 2010
    As a matter of fact, I'm currently holding auditions for the voice of Max (because - SPOILER ALERT! - Max's voice changes in Episode 2!)... as well as for characters that weren't in Culture Shock.

As for the others from Episode 1, I'm gonna keep voicing them myself... yep, even Sybil!
  • edited December 2010
    lattsam wrote: »
    Okay, it's me. 1) I only did this because I didn't appreciate being banned the first time around. I had to do this...

2) I know that what I may have done to several people on this forum may have been wrong... but the truth is, I don't like when some people on this forum have done wrong to me. I have feelings too, you know.

3)Anyway, I had to make the video because I don't think anyone has made an "abridged series" for the Sam and Max franchise. 4)I may have stolen jokes from LittleKuriboh, but I'll try to cut down on doing that in the future. 5) As for sound quality, I will use Audacity instead of Sound Recorder (which is what I used here).

Please don't ban me again. I really want to be here.

1) I don't think anyone appreciates being banned. ;)

2) Everyone knows you have feelings. But sometimes one must be humble, (young grasshopper) in these circumstances. It's cool to stand up for what you think and believe. You were banned for a reason, though, and as snarky and hurtful as comments to your cause may have sounded, you shouldn't take these to heart. This is the internet, and whilst some etiquette would be nice, we have loose tongues and flamers here. Don't expect everyone to be nice. Sad but true.

3) They certainly haven't, and good on you for being the first. :) I just think they would be incredibly difficult to abridge, seeing as they're incredibly slapstick material already. Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged worked because the show was trying to be serious (kinda). There's plenty to nitpick about Sam and Max, but the developers tend to do that already from time to time.
    Sam : You know, this factory layout looks eerily familiar.

4) What makes a series is originality, not trying to ride onto the scene on someone else's work. (This isn't a jab at you, this is a general fact. Even if the material you're using is good, if a source is constantly used and if it's well-known material, people will perceive this as bad and lazy scriptwriting.) If you want to make a good series, you need to think hard about being original - something which is sadly difficult to do.

(Pop culture references are fine, as long as they're not all you're riding on. Then again, the Simpsons have been using that formula for over 20 years... Maybe I should rethink that statement.)

5) It's not the quality of sound recording you're lacking on, mate. But that's always good to prioritise.

Apologies for sounding high-and-mighty.
  • edited December 2010
    If you send me a script or tell me what good lines from Max you'd like to hear, I can do a pretty interesting Max voice.

But yeah If there was one part of that mess I actually liked it was "Driving!" (Also, Bosco is more purple coloured, but I don't think that matters too much)
  • FlyFly
    edited December 2010
    Has it occurred to you that Abridged Serieses only work for things that are not already funnier than you can make them?
  • edited December 2010
    Fly wrote: »
    Has it occurred to you that Abridged Serieses only work for things that are not already funnier than you can make them?

Naruto wasn't funny to begin with, even when they try. Naruto Abridged was a little funnier than that so, yeah it gained a little fame.

It was only funny in the "moo" part, and yeah they milked the hell out of it.
  • edited December 2010
    Falanca wrote: »

I see what you did there.

My question is, has anyone actually TRIED to abridge something funny before this?

I know one for sure that it wouldn't work for, Bo-bobo Bo Bobo-bo. That was gag manga/anime on its own, ridiculous to new extremes.
  • edited December 2010
    Unlike most of the above, I'm going to say that this was not half bad!
    However the morphed voices were impossible to understand, kind of ruining the experience.

Keep it up, but avoid voice morphing next time!
  • edited December 2010
    must, deliver, videos, for no reason
  • edited December 2010
    Yeah, It actually was funnier the second time around.
  • edited December 2010
    i loved the sponge bob square pants reference, it was hilarious
  • edited December 2010
    Falanca wrote: »
    Naruto wasn't funny to begin with, even when they try. Naruto Abridged was a little funnier than that so, yeah it gained a little fame.

Heh heh... moo.
  • edited December 2010
    there is a rat we don't even know in the video
  • edited January 2011
    seibert999 wrote: »
    there is a rat we don't even know in the video

Why should we care about him? It's not like he's important to the plot or anything!
  • edited January 2011
    my hair is hypnotizing you dude, now you'll do what i say and stuff
  • edited January 2011
    Because I haven't been fleshed out enough to develop an actual personality, I will blindly obey you!
  • edited January 2011
    We'll probably be able to snap them out of it by reasoning with them (or whatever it was)
    *bonk* *bop* *bonk*

... Or we can do that.
  • edited January 2011
    we hate you, to XD
  • edited January 2011
    Remolay wrote: »
    We'll probably be able to snap them out of it by reasoning with them (or whatever it was)
    *bonk* *bop* *bonk*

... Or we can do that.
    That, actually, would have been much funnier if he hadn't said "Or we can do that". D:
  • edited January 2011
    I think it would have been funnier if he had said "Yep, reasoning with them." to tell the truth.
  • edited January 2011
    The whole video is about breaking the fourth wall, really. Not funny when you do it again and again.

Unless you're Deadpool.
  • edited January 2011
    I have characters that act like deadpool, Can I do it?
  • edited January 2011
    Normally I'd check for ID of Awesomeness for this, but we're cool so, I'm letting you pass.
  • edited January 2011
    i wish i had my voice back, it gave me super strength
  • edited January 2011
    Great, that means if I become Max's Awesome Second ReTelltale voice I can break the fourth wall I want!
  • edited January 2011
    No. You should use your powers responsibly.
  • edited January 2011
    Deadpool dosen't.

Haha.
  • FlyFly
    edited January 2011
    Since I feel really bad about being so snide earlier, I'll give you a bit of production advice re voice editing -

There's two ways of changing the apparent pitch of a voice in digital post production - pitch shifting, which decreases/increases the actual, physical pitch of the signal, and formant shifting, which is a little cleverer. I don't want to get into a big technical description into what formants are, but it's to do with the shape and length of the object causing the sound - in this case, a throat. Higher formants make the voice sound high and squeaky despite being at the same pitch in pure musical terms, and lower formants make the voice deep and boomy. This is why it sounds different when a man (low formant), a woman (higher formant) and a child (high formant) all sing the same note.

The reason I'm bringing up formant shifting is because, even when done to extremes, it leads to a more comprehensible result than pitch shifting. For speech to be easily understandable, we have to have high frequency 's' and 't' sounds, which are lost when a signal is pitch shifted downwards more than a little.

Since verbal comedy is only funny if you can hear the words, you might want to think about using formant shifting instead of pitch shifting, especially if you're shifting your voice down. You should also get as close as you can to the voice of one of the characters, and then use post production to nudge that signal a few semitones down/up, rather than using your normal speaking voice range and making pitch shifting do all the work, because it can't and won't.

Oh yeah, to do formant shifting, there's a ton of free VST plugins out there which you can use with Audacity or anything more upmarket than that. Or, if you have Auto-Tune, it has a Formant knob - turn off all the pitch correction settings first, though, or Bosco will sound like T-Pain.
  • edited January 2011
    Fly wrote: »
    Bosco will sound like T-Pain.

Is it bad that I now want to hear a Bosco auto-tune song?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.