My Problem with Morgan LeFlay

edited February 2011 in Tales of Monkey Island
That's right, you probably haven't heard it before, so don't misread, I really just did imply that:

I don't like Morgan LeFlay.

Let me clarify something though: I LOVE the IDEA of Morgan LeFlay. I think a strong female pirate hunter is a great idea! But I also love Elaine but HATED Elaine in EMI. It's all about execution, you see.

Specifics:

Appearance Problem: She looks TOO conceptual. Concept sketches are fine, but she is borderline Anime and doesn't really fit in the canon based on her appearance.

Suggested Solution: Make her tough, make her hardened. Give her a scar and make her hair pulled back or in a bandana, no one could keep their hair like that on the open salty sea. She's a pirate hunter she has to get her hands dirty.

Sound Problem: With all due respect to her voice actress, I think the voice is TOTALLY off. It was acted fine, but I want an accent, or at least a scruffy scratch to her voice that suggests she's been around the block a few times and has been hardened. She sounds like a teacher from Fairly Odd Parents or any other Nickelodeon / kids show. I've always been of the school of thought that Guybrush should be the only American/Goofy sounded character.

Sound Suggestion: Give her an accent, you can make her sultry, that's fine, but make it period. Cockney accent would have worked PERFECTLY or cajun or caribbean would have worked too.

Conflict Problem: She is a pirate hunter but loves Guybrush. This conflict wasn't believable at ALL. She could switch to easily without hearing ANY conflict in her voice.

Conflict Solution: Make her less sane. When she must mentally address this conflict her sentences should trail off, her voice should change, and she should seem like she is having serious mental issues about this fundamental internal conflict.

HOPEFULLY, if they bring her back (I'm assuming they will based on the last scene), they will make her more hardened and much less cartoony.

Flame away, internet friends.

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Its ok that you do not like her you are entitled to that oppinion.

But there is no real visual canon considering the look of each game changes with each release.

Also Morgan while definitely capable was supposed to be youthful and a huge fangirl... almost bordering on being a nerd. Nicki Rapp portrayed that character perfectly she was confident and cocky when she needed to be and soft and fangirlish when appropriate...

The character you describe would be a completely different direction and not fit well into the light hearted world of MI...

Also she was there to throw some confusion into Guybrush and Elaine's marriage... Guybrush being a idiot savant always looking for recognition respect, getting it from Morgan and not his all too successful wife..

I welcome these types of threads... and you did it correctly you stated what you thought and why...
  • edited January 2011
    I disagree with your opinion, but I also respect it. And here something a bit irrelevant;

I know of people that simply disliking every MI game that released after the second one because all those games suddenly abandoned the mystical and atmospheric (yet sarcastic at times) feel of the games and made it look a lot more cartoony, but still trying to retain the feel of the older games and mixing the two styles in every game; using different dosages of each of them in every other take. I do think Morgan LeFlay also represents this mixture of styles -serious and cartoony- in herself. Her constant mood swings from a pirate hunter to "somewhat-out-of-place" fangirl, her goals of making a fortune and her "corny-but-warm" love for Guybrush, her serious mastery of sword fighting and her cartoony look and voice... She is conflicting with herself every time she's on screen. And it's not a bad thing, it's her character and like many real people, as a fictional character, she's not perfect.

Long story short, I think you're trying to perfect her by killing one of the two sides of her and I disagree with you there since it's her speciality to contain the both personalities in herself and be imperfect.
  • edited January 2011
    Interesting thoughts on how Morgan could have made a more realistic impression as a pirate hunter. I especially liked the accent idea.
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited January 2011
    Interesting point of view! In fact, when I originally conceived Morgan, she was almost exactly as you described... A more hardened femme fatal, full of cockiness and swagger, with a deeper voice and a slight Indian accent!

But the chemistry just wasn't there. Additionally the "fan girl" side of her was coming across too artificial...and the contrast was making her character feel MORE cartoony. (Yeah, I hadn't expected that either)

Nikki Rapp brought an attitude and energy to the character that I had not originally anticipated and it gave Morgan an endearing vulnerability; something that would be important for her character later down the line! ;)
  • edited January 2011
    Falanca wrote: »
    I disagree with your opinion, but I also respect it. And here something a bit irrelevant;

I know of people that simply disliking every MI game that released after the second one because all those games suddenly abandoned the mystical and atmospheric (yet sarcastic at times) feel of the games and made it look a lot more cartoony, but still trying to retain the feel of the older games and mixing the two styles in every game; using different dosages of each of them in every other take. I do think Morgan LeFlay also represents this mixture of styles -serious and cartoony- in herself. Her constant mood swings from a pirate hunter to "somewhat-out-of-place" fangirl, her goals of making a fortune and her "corny-but-warm" love for Guybrush, her serious mastery of sword fighting and her cartoony look and voice... She is conflicting with herself every time she's on screen. And it's not a bad thing, it's her character and like many real people, as a fictional character, she's not perfect.

Long story short, I think you're trying to perfect her by killing one of the two sides of her and I disagree with you there since it's her speciality to contain the both personalities in herself and be imperfect.

Well, I could write a tl;dr post, but since Falanca's already put it better than I could, I'll just say 'this'.

And besides, if Morgan had been a 100% badass pirate hunter, I doubt she'd have had any regret or guilt about selling Guybrush out and would have had no interest in making up for what she'd done or helping him in the crossroads. So she'd have been of less use to the plot.

...also the thought of a cockney Morgan fills me with horror. Any accent but that one!
  • edited January 2011
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    Interesting point of view! In fact, when I originally conceived Morgan, she was almost exactly as you described... A more hardened femme fatal, full of cockiness and swagger, with a deeper voice and a slight Indian accent!

But the chemistry just wasn't there. Additionally the "fan girl" side of her was coming across too artificial...and the contrast was making her character feel MORE cartoony. (Yeah, I hadn't expected that either)

Nikki Rapp brought an attitude and energy to the character that I had not originally anticipated and it gave Morgan an endearing vulnerability; something that would be important for her character later down the line! ;)

Thanks for sharing Mark. :)
  • edited January 2011
    Thanks for sharing! It's so interesting to hear stories about how things evolve during creative processes. :)
  • edited January 2011
    And she looks too smart/well dressed/pristine.
  • edited January 2011
    Oh come on, you can't say it's a bad thing to see a well dressed lady!
  • edited January 2011
    But thats the problem...shes a pirate hunter but looks too posh! LOL.
  • edited January 2011
    I really don't get the "Morgan should look scruffy!" argument. Most of the main characters don't look scruffy, Guybrush doesn't, Elaine doesn't, Human LeChuck doesn't, (hell, even regular LeChuck isn't that scruffy) Winslow doesn't. Why should Morgan? If anything, the fact that all her clothes are intact just shows that she's a really good fighter, nobody's even been able to damage her clothing in a duel, let alone her.
  • edited January 2011
    whatever...
  • edited January 2011
    Lonnie wrote: »
    But thats the problem...shes a pirate hunter but looks too posh! LOL.

Id expect a Pirate Hunter (TM) to be posh and the pirates to be scruffy.
  • edited January 2011
    Lonnie wrote: »
    shes a pirate hunter but looks too posh! LOL.

I'm digging the word.
    Jen Kollic wrote: »
    I really don't get the "Morgan should look scruffy!" argument. Most of the main characters don't look scruffy, Guybrush doesn't, Elaine doesn't, Human LeChuck doesn't, (hell, even regular LeChuck isn't that scruffy) Winslow doesn't. Why should Morgan? If anything, the fact that all her clothes are intact just shows that she's a really good fighter, nobody's even been able to damage her clothing in a duel, let alone her.

It's weird. Some NPCs in LeChuck's Revenge looked so scruffy and the amount of scrufness (?) decreased in every game released after that one. Tales has the most cleanest pirates ever, except for the poxed ones, but I believe it's done to show a difference between "normal" pirates and "poxed" pirates.

Plus, she's a pirate hunter but she's also a BUSINESS WOMAN, you know, she's not jumping from job to job immediately, she waits and gets ready for her next one between her tasks. She has a steady income of piece o' eights too so I see no reason for her not to build a good fashion sense and get new clothes each time the old one is ruined when she's on a break. And during Tales' storyline I assume nothing really happened to her that would damage her clothes.

Plus that has the potential of earning the game a higher rating.
  • edited January 2011
    I the only one who liked her voice?
  • edited January 2011
    Vira wrote: »

I liked it too.
  • edited January 2011
    Vira wrote: »

Niki Rapp has an awesome voice.
  • edited January 2011
    Falanca wrote: »
    And during Tales' storyline I assume nothing really happened to her that would damage her clothes.

Plus that has the potential of earning the game a higher rating.

Like the intro to Bayonetta! (skip to 6:25) I had as much fun watching that game as my flatmate did playing it. Even if it does make no sense whatsoever.

Also, I really liked Nikki Rapp's voice acting as well.
  • edited January 2011
    I liked Morgan's voice too, to be honest, true to my human elements.
  • edited January 2011
    Jen Kollic wrote: »
    Like the intro to Bayonetta! (skip to 6:25) I had as much fun watching that game as my flatmate did playing it. Even if it does make no sense whatsoever.

Also, I really liked Nikki Rapp's voice acting as well.

LOL, wow. All hail gaming.
  • edited January 2011
    The more troublesome fact is that no Character (aside from Stan) keeps their wardrobe between games, so we'll get used to a new look for Morgan if a sequel does come around. Same for Winslow and others.
  • edited January 2011
    I think I.....I...may be in love with her.
  • edited January 2011
    Nikki Rapp is awesome... she seems so nice and is such a "real" person.. judging from her updates and interactions with her on facebook.
  • edited January 2011
    I didn't say she was bad, just not a fit for the genre in my opinion
  • edited January 2011
    ToddD wrote: »
    I didn't say she was bad, just not a fit for the genre in my opinion

That's a difinitve statement where you have no real visible defined limitations to house it and give it validity, it's just a personal opinion/ statement that is apparently not true man. You're personal standards are irrelevant in arguments such as these. I don't know why it's programmed into us to have such a boxed view of the world...
  • edited February 2011
    That's a difinitve statement where you have no real visible defined limitations to house it and give it validity, it's just a personal opinion/ statement that is apparently not true man. You're personal standards are irrelevant in arguments such as these. I don't know why it's programmed into us to have such a boxed view of the world...

This is a discussion board, all we're talking about is opinions! Your opinion to disagree is just as valid :)

I still loved TMI, I just think that was a weak link. Everyone can have their own views.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.