Tales of monkey island sucks

2»

Comments

• edited January 2011
    doodo! wrote: »
    I know. I knew right away. :)

Which is strangely why I was so offended. I'm just messed in the head, spent too many days and nights thinking about people and why they act the way they do. It was almost obvious to me and for some screwed up reason I just had it when I came to your post.

It's all good man, I never get offended or my feelings hurt. I was however an angry dude in the past, especially online on forums. LOL. No wonder I got banned from a few sites.

Mind you, I still abuse all the cheating hackers online in the games I play ;)
  • edited January 2011
    dthoupis wrote: »
    I too did not like the graphics that much but not to the point of hating the episodes. It is not the style of graphics I would like to have seen although I do admit this had been the first TellTales game I played. If they made something like the style of Syberia!!!! now that is top class graphics which was done almost 10 years ago and not only that great story and great gameplay! We can only live to hope for another MI.
    Demetris

Yeh I think I was being a bit harsh, then I felt bad after I posted that thread lol. All my life of regret. :(
  • edited January 2011
    Having gone back and replayed the first 3 games I have to say Curse is a gem and one of the best in the series. Even though I don't think any of the original people but Ron had a big hand in it. ? It introduced Murray as well as many other wonderful things. It also introduced a easier to use streamlined interface. Also I like that when you select a object and drag it out of the inventory box the box disappears. Then when you try to use that object on something that doesn't work the object doesn't disappear and force you to go back into the inventory like Tales does on most inventory objects.

The biggest thing though is the graphics. Even at 1997 resolutions the hand drawn looking backdrops are beautiful to behold. Something I can never see 3D doing as well. Curse does have some 3D models in a few of its cutscenes, bit is mostly just a work of art. While the cutscenes play out just like a cartoon.

I still don't hold any of this against Tales. Their characters, dialog and story are top notch and work great IMO. I'm just glad someone is making enjoyable adventure games again. But wouldn't the hand drawn look like Curse look better, run better and provide for a smaller download. My only beefs with the game is I see no real benefit from 3D in a game like this and I also see no benefit in have to manually walk around when a simple click would accomplish the same thing. It would be different if there were some kind of real time gameplay element that required it.

Ok I've gone on too long.
  • edited January 2011
    Having gone back and replayed the first 3 games I have to say Curse is a gem and one of the best in the series. Even though I don't think any of the original people but Ron had a big hand in it. ? It introduced Murray as well as many other wonderful things. It also introduced a easier to use streamlined interface. Also I like that when you select a object and drag it out of the inventory box the box disappears. Then when you try to use that object on something that doesn't work the object doesn't disappear and force you to go back into the inventory like Tales does on most inventory objects.

The biggest thing though is the graphics. Even at 1997 resolutions the hand drawn looking backdrops are beautiful to behold. Something I can never see 3D doing as well. Curse does have some 3D models in a few of its cutscenes, bit is mostly just a work of art. While the cutscenes play out just like a cartoon.

I still don't hold any of this against Tales. Their characters, dialog and story are top notch and work great IMO. I'm just glad someone is making enjoyable adventure games again. But wouldn't the hand drawn look like Curse look better, run better and provide for a smaller download. My only beefs with the game is I see no real benefit from 3D in a game like this and I also see no benefit in have to manually walk around when a simple click would accomplish the same thing. It would be different if there were some kind of real time gameplay element that required it.

Ok I've gone on too long.

Yeh i think they went 3D maybe to appeal to a modern audience or going with the times? Is 2d obsolete like standard definition and 4:3 TV's?
  • edited January 2011
    Lonnie wrote: »
    Yeh i think they went 3D maybe to appeal to a modern audience or going with the times? Is 2d obsolete like standard definition and 4:3 TV's?
    It shouldn't be. The artwork can be so much better in a 2D game and 3D really isn't needed in this type of game. Ultimately you can still create 3D models in a 2D game. Plus I love the old parallax scrolling backgrounds.

I don't think people care as long as the game looks great. Maybe I'm wrong.
  • edited January 2011
    Yeh I don't want to offend anyone, I would like to meet all you good people and make friends, I wish I could change the headlining to my thread but oh well.

If you want to be my friend, please... stop... double posting! *twitch* (And in case you double post because you don't know how, there's a little "edit" button at the bottom right corner of your post. I hope this will be your last double post.)
    Nope. The top 10 posters all had higher counts than you do now all the way back in May. Considering that I wasn't even on that list and now I have more posts than Dashing had back then, and I'm not the only one who's been posting so much, I'd say you're probably not even top 30.

Well damn. I was hopin'...
  • edited January 2011
    TomPravetz wrote: »
    Yeh I don't want to offend anyone, I would like to meet all you good people and make friends, I wish I could change the headlining to my thread but oh well./QUOTE]

If you want to be my friend, please... stop... double posting! *twitch* (And in case you double post because you don't know how, there's a little "edit" button at the bottom right corner of your post. I hope this will be your last double post.)

Well damn. I was hopin'...

Double post? you've lost me? what did i double post? And friend me anyway :)
  • edited January 2011
    Double post? you've lost me? what did i double post? And friend me anyway :)

Double-posting is simply having two posts in a row (they don't necessarily have to be duplicates). It's generally something that's a little 'frowned upon' since double-posts can be avoided simply by clicking the 'Edit' button on your last post and entering any new content into that post, rather than making a new one.
  • edited January 2011
    Also, another handy little feature is the multi-quote button. Click the little button just to the right of "Quote" on as many posts as you want, then click the "Quote" button on any of them, and all of the posts you selected will be quoted for you on the post writing page, and they're even in the order you selected them.
  • edited January 2011
    Well, you disappeared for about a year and I just kept on posting...

This is true, though if memory serves me correctly (I was away from these forums for quite a long time) your post-count overtook mine while I was still here.

If I'm going to catch you now I'm going to have to get pretty active lol :D
  • edited January 2011
    But wouldn't the hand drawn look like Curse look better, run better and provide for a smaller download.

While it will certainly look better, hand drawn pictures can take a lot of space, and the game will not necessarily run better. (It seems that many people had troubles with The Whispered World.) And one thing that you did not mention is that hand-drawn graphics will take a lot of time and work. Just look at this background plan for The Whispered World.
    So while all of us probably prefer 2D games, they take a very long time to make and 3D has it's advantages too.
  • edited January 2011
    Also, another handy little feature is the multi-quote button. Click the little button just to the right of "Quote" on as many posts as you want, then click the "Quote" button on any of them, and all of the posts you selected will be quoted for you on the post writing page, and they're even in the order you selected them.

Ok sorry about that I hadn't realized.
    Hayden wrote: »
    Double-posting is simply having two posts in a row (they don't necessarily have to be duplicates). It's generally something that's a little 'frowned upon' since double-posts can be avoided simply by clicking the 'Edit' button on your last post and entering any new content into that post, rather than making a new one.

Check me out, pretty impressive eh?
  • edited January 2011
    It's so heartwarming to see that this forum is full of people who know how to behave well and respect / accept opinions other than their own. :o

Actually, I think it's important we don't only have fanboy threads in here (to be honest, at some point, the neverending "Oh, oh, oh THANK you SO much TTG!!" posts really got on my nerves), so apart from the harsh title of this thread (which Lonnie has excused himself for) I think it's perfectly fine, too.

Being 30 now, and having played Secret on my father's first 386, I can relate to what he says. And although, yes, you _do_ get used to the very basic 3D graphics of TOMI it doesn't make them more beautiful to my eyes.
    To me, 3D has never been real "art" - I mean, hey: just look at Bill Tiller's 2D art work in CMI, A Vampyre Story and Ghost Pirates and you know what a beautiful game looks like - TOMI just doesn't give you that, period.

To me, it was story, dialogue, voice acting and animation that made up for the rather ugly (?) graphics.

And I agree EP1 WAS boring as heck. If it hadn't been for the cliffhanger and the hype going along with it in this forums, I probably wouldn't have gotten the second chapter.
  • edited January 2011
    Mermaid wrote: »
    It's so heartwarming to see that this forum is full of people who know how to behave well and respect / accept opinions other than their own. :o.
    You shut your mouth you slimy slant eyed little debbie cake eating troll !!

:D
    Is that better?
  • edited January 2011

Actually, I think it's important we don't only have fanboy threads in here (to be honest, at some point, the neverending "Oh, oh, oh THANK you SO much TTG!!" posts really got on my nerves), so apart from the harsh title of this thread (which Lonnie has excused herself for) I think it's perfectly fine, too.

Actually I'm a guy lol but you can call me Lonnette if you like :)

Yeh I'm with you on what you say. What is your fave MI game of the series?
  • edited January 2011
    I almost went at him for this thread but it was actually because of the human condition and not because of what he was actually saying. I know that doesn't make sense to any one...at least not how I meant it to.

I caught myself a little late. The content offended, but I'm beyond that now. It wasn't that he disagreed that bothered me, or that he hated the game. It was something else which no one else would understand. :D

peace.
  • edited January 2011
    -article praising CMI-

Just to add to this, the streamlined control system was actually first used in Full Throttle, adapted for Curse, and Bill Tiller has even took it with him, it was used on Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island.

But yeah, CMI is brilliant, many people here hate on it for it not being a "true" Monkey Island game or because it brought in a more Cartoon style to the animations.

But one thing I always found brilliant in CMI was the music, to me it's the only Monkey Island game that has had a huge budget on the soundtrack. Michael Land took the realms by himself and scored what's near enough a masterpiece, each track has a unique feeling, from the typical Monkey Island vibe, to a more different and somewhat calming classical style used on Blood Island. It felt like all those years away from Monkey Island, Land built up this collection of composed tracks, which he finally got to put to use when LucasArts announced Curse and gave him a decent budget and studio to score the game.

If I'm honest, that's what I was hoping would happen again with Tales, nine years since he last worked on a Monkey Island game and TellTale brought him back in to score the game, which he did a decent job of, but the limits somewhat dampens that, going back to the MIDI based style, which, not officially confirmed, but seems was done so they could put the game on the Wii via WiiWare (Strict 40MB Limit). There are some great and catchy tunes in Tales, De Cava's Theme, the variant of it on Roe Island, Spinner Cay, Morgans Theme, and of course the final battle with LeChuck. But I just can't help but think how much more amazing they would sound if they were full blown scored tracks with real instruments instead!
  • edited January 2011
    You shut your mouth you slimy slant eyed little debbie cake eating troll !!

:D
    Is that better?

You make me feel home again. :D

@ Lonnie: While I can take something out of every single MI game (yes, even EMI, for I loved the ambience of Lucre / Jambalaya Island), I guess my favorite's still Secret, although that's probably a lot to do with nostalgia (I mean, boy, I was ten when I first played it, and I played it with a mouse that was far, far from being anything ergonomic!. CMI was fantastic though, I remember how I was completely blown away from the orchestral music, the voices (the first Monkey Island game with speech!!) and the BEAUTIFUL backgrounds.
  • edited January 2011
    You make me feel home again. :D

@ Lonnie: While I can take something out of every single MI game (yes, even EMI, for I loved the ambience of Lucre / Jambalaya Island), I guess my favorite's still Secret, although that's probably a lot to do with nostalgia (I mean, boy, I was ten when I first played it, and I played it with a mouse that was far, far from being anything ergonomic!. CMI was fantastic though, I remember how I was completely blown away from the orchestral music, the voices (the first Monkey Island game with speech!!) and the BEAUTIFUL backgrounds.

Oh how I'm stuck in the past:rolleyes:
  • edited January 2011
    Ash735 wrote: »
    Just to add to this, the streamlined control system was actually first used in Full Throttle, adapted for Curse, and Bill Tiller has even took it with him, it was used on Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island.

But yeah, CMI is brilliant, many people here hate on it for it not being a "true" Monkey Island game or because it brought in a more Cartoon style to the animations.

But one thing I always found brilliant in CMI was the music, to me it's the only Monkey Island game that has had a huge budget on the soundtrack. Michael Land took the realms by himself and scored what's near enough a masterpiece, each track has a unique feeling, from the typical Monkey Island vibe, to a more different and somewhat calming classical style used on Blood Island. It felt like all those years away from Monkey Island, Land built up this collection of composed tracks, which he finally got to put to use when LucasArts announced Curse and gave him a decent budget and studio to score the game.

If I'm honest, that's what I was hoping would happen again with Tales, nine years since he last worked on a Monkey Island game and TellTale brought him back in to score the game, which he did a decent job of, but the limits somewhat dampens that, going back to the MIDI based style, which, not officially confirmed, but seems was done so they could put the game on the Wii via WiiWare (Strict 40MB Limit). There are some great and catchy tunes in Tales, De Cava's Theme, the variant of it on Roe Island, Spinner Cay, Morgans Theme, and of course the final battle with LeChuck. But I just can't help but think how much more amazing they would sound if they were full blown scored tracks with real instruments instead!

Yes the music was brilliant. Is EMI your fave ?
  • edited January 2011
    Yes the music was brilliant. Is EMI your fave ?

Far from my fave, my least liked, the only thing I did like about EMI was the voice acting on some characters and of course the music. CMI is my joint fave with Monkey Island 2: Special Edition.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.