Tales of monkey island sucks

edited January 2011 in Tales of Monkey Island
I was so excited to play TOMI but am bitterly disappointed with the terrible 3D graphics, stupid dialogue and boring puzzles.

I know alot of you will readily disagree with me but I much prefer the 2d style of Curse of Monkey Island, it was great to play. Really, really enjoyed it.

This is the first time EVER I have gotten bored with a MI game.

Shouldn't games and graphics in general get better as time goes along not the other way round?

Anyone else who didn't/doesn't like TOMI?

Comments

• edited January 2011
    You're far too harsh. CMI is excellent, no doubt, but ToMI is really good and I hope you've played more than two minutes of it to form an opinion as harsh as that. Otherwise it's just trolling.

And complaining in your first post on a forum is not a good way to introduce yourself. Since you're completely new here, people easily mistake (?) you for a troll. You're not giving valid reasons for your complaints, and starting a thread called "Tales of monkey island sucks" as your first post and topic on the official Tales of Monkey Island forum only makes you look like a ten year who shouldn't have the privelage of using the internet.

I hope you can rectify the first impression you've made a lot in your next posts.
  • edited January 2011
    And FYI the game is boring the first episode, and starts to kick it at around the end of the second episode.
  • edited January 2011
    And I hope for your sake you never get to play Escape from Monkey Island
  • edited January 2011
    Hey Lonnie, welcome to the forums.

I understand where you're coming from, to some degree. The style of graphics are not for everyone; they actually weren't overly pleasing to my eye at first glance. But let me assure you that once you grow accustomed to the style, you'll be able to appreciate the look of the game a lot more. Also, on the topic of the graphics, they do improve throughout the season - this is what happens with episodic games; the first episode's graphics are usually somewhat mediocre, but they are improved from episode to episode in what is a refining process. The graphics are usually perfected close to the middle of the season.

This is usually due to the team learning from mistakes, refining what they have created, as well as the company using the money from the previous episode's sales to fund further development and improvement. It's just how episodic games work - it's a bummer in many ways, but you learn to put up with the downsides of it and just try to understand the company's situation.

As for the dialogue, I will admit that it isn't that great in the prologue or in the first few minutes on Flotsam. But this is really only to be expected. 'Tales' was the first Monkey Island game in 9 years, meaning that there was going to have to be a sort of re-introduction of all the characters, as well as a re-introduction of the whole Monkey Island world, MI humour, MI style, etc.. Also, the game picks up in the middle of a new adventure, which calls for a lot of explaining and introducing to be done. So, when writers are forced to go through all of the introductions and re-introductions, it's bound to produce some pretty mediocre writing at times, since introductions are usually something very formulaic, and formulaic writing is rarely good writing.

So, you must understand that Telltale weren't in the perfect position when taking on this project, but they did an excellent job given the circumstances. Heck, they did a great job full stop (talking about the whole season, I mean). There were many great things about 'Tales of Monkey Island', and it actually brought me as much enjoyment as 'Curse' did ('Curse' being my favourite of the series). Telltale gave us a quality game here, it's just that the quality is more common and fruitful as the season progresses a little. So I urge you to play the rest of the game, otherwise you will miss so much. Please don't base your opinion of the game purely around the opening of 'Launch of the Screaming Narwhal'.

Seeya round, man :).
  • edited January 2011
    I don't know, if you ask me the graphics weren't so bad in the first episode. It wasn't really boring too, the episode tried to keep giving new things in every puzzle. It wasn't easy so it was actually pretty fun. I find OP's opinion to be really harsh.

But well, I myself find Secret of Monkey Island really boring at times, so...
  • edited January 2011
    The whole Monkey Island part from Secret, with its comings and goings on the rowboat, is rather boring
  • edited January 2011
    Yeah, that part is always my least favourite part "travelwise". Well, at least after doing it the first ten times in my career as a Monkey Island fan(atic).
  • edited January 2011
    StarEye wrote: »
    You're far too harsh. CMI is excellent, no doubt, but ToMI is really good and I hope you've played more than two minutes of it to form an opinion as harsh as that. Otherwise it's just trolling.

And complaining in your first post on a forum is not a good way to introduce yourself. Since you're completely new here, people easily mistake (?) you for a troll. You're not giving valid reasons for your complaints, and starting a thread called "Tales of monkey island sucks" as your first post and topic on the official Tales of Monkey Island forum only makes you look like a ten year who shouldn't have the privelage of using the internet.

I hope you can rectify the first impression you've made a lot in your next posts.

Well Hi Stareye, and everyone,

I'm Lonnie, 26 year old guy from England currently living and working in Christchurch New Zealand.

It never really occurred to me to introduce myself, I really made this post spur of the moment, and I can assure you I am no troll.

I'm not here to slag off MI, but seeming as I paid to play it I would think I have a right to express my opinion.

I am sure there are many die hard/loyal MI fans that are gunna grumble at the slightest negative comment/review on anything MI related, but its not perfect and I think its fair to talk about /discuss things about the series that people don't quite like etc. But hey, this is my opinion and you're going to have yours, which is cool :)

In fact I absolutely love all the previous non 3D MI games (Curse was my last fave one) but TOMI has disappointed me.

If you want specifics, the graphics don't really impress for a 2009 game. Really reminds me of the Worms 3D graphics, cheap and basic looking. Its lost its charm, and its just unfunny. I mean, youtube jokes? Come on. The puzzles seem really contrived, some what childish and easy.

By the time I'd got onto Lair of the Leviathan I was pretty bored to be honest. Also I find there is way too much talking (cut scenes, watever you call them). Yeh I know its part of the game but I just want play the game not watch them talk every 5 mins.

I don't know guys, its just lost its charm for me, it isn't the same. I really wanted to like the game believe me, but something was missing.

I yearn for modern games to have good gameplay and don't really give a hoot about eye candy graphics.

Maybe I miss being 7 years old roughly when MI first came out, glued to the 4:3 crappy monitor I had stuffing my face with junk food completely entranced by the music and the game itself, ignoring the many yells from my mum that it was bed time.

I will always be a Monkey Island fan, but old school.
  • edited January 2011
    Hayden wrote: »
    Hey Lonnie, welcome to the forums.

I understand where you're coming from, to some degree. The style of graphics are not for everyone; they actually weren't overly pleasing to my eye at first glance. But let me assure you that once you grow accustomed to the style, you'll be able to appreciate the look of the game a lot more. Also, on the topic of the graphics, they do improve throughout the season - this is what happens with episodic games; the first episode's graphics are usually somewhat mediocre, but they are improved from episode to episode in what is a refining process. The graphics are usually perfected close to the middle of the season.

This is usually due to the team learning from mistakes, refining what they have created, as well as the company using the money from the previous episode's sales to fund further development and improvement. It's just how episodic games work - it's a bummer in many ways, but you learn to put up with the downsides of it and just try to understand the company's situation.

As for the dialogue, I will admit that it isn't that great in the prologue or in the first few minutes on Flotsam. But this is really only to be expected. 'Tales' was the first Monkey Island game in 9 years, meaning that there was going to have to be a sort of re-introduction of all the characters, as well as a re-introduction of the whole Monkey Island world, MI humour, MI style, etc.. Also, the game picks up in the middle of a new adventure, which calls for a lot of explaining and introducing to be done. So, when writers are forced to go through all of the introductions and re-introductions, it's bound to produce some pretty mediocre writing at times, since introductions are usually something very formulaic, and formulaic writing is rarely good writing.

So, you must understand that Telltale weren't in the perfect position when taking on this project, but they did an excellent job given the circumstances. Heck, they did a great job full stop (talking about the whole season, I mean). There were many great things about 'Tales of Monkey Island', and it actually brought me as much enjoyment as 'Curse' did ('Curse' being my favourite of the series). Telltale gave us a quality game here, it's just that the quality is more common and fruitful as the season progresses a little. So I urge you to play the rest of the game, otherwise you will miss so much. Please don't base your opinion of the game purely around the opening of 'Launch of the Screaming Narwhal'.

Seeya round, man :).

Hi Hayden thanks,

This seems to be a great forum where people don't swear and abuse each other like I've seen on many angry gamers websites lol. (COD/MOH etc those type of games.)

Maybe I am being too hard on the game, but I've had to take a break from Lair of the Leviathan as I lost interest. Maybe I will regain some enthusiasm next time I play it.

I mentioned in my above post that I didn't really care about the graphics, which is true to some extent, but I would of thought that for a 2009 3D game there would be more detail and a colorful environment like COMI. It just seems....bland.

Maybe I am too nostalgic and am not accepting of new game designs etc, even tho I have tried to be :)
  • edited January 2011
    Everyone is entitled to their opinions. I thought the 1st episode looked great. I'm not sure where you get the idea the game looks bland? I think maybe your nostalgia for Curse may be clouding your judgment. I agree the 2D art can have a stylistic and beautiful quality to it and curse is a good example of that. Maybe if you went back and played curse now though your judgement wouldn’t be so harsh. I think your complaint is more about the style of artwork differences between 2D and 3D. The look is the same, but 2D gives off a more cartoon look then 3D can. I do think it would be nice to have 2d style graphics again and also I hate having to move the character around, but those are minor complaints. Tales is just as worthy a part of the Monkey island series as 1 ,2 and 3 are.

As for the ‘stupid dialog and puzzles’ I found all of the dialog and puzzles exactly in line with previous Monkey games. It sounds like you got it in your head early on to dislike the game and that
    has corrupted your enjoyment of it from there on out. I thought it was great.

Its obvious you never played Escape from Monkey Island
  • edited January 2011
    Glad to hear you're not here to troll or be negative for the sake of being negative, Lonnie. I hope I didn't offend you, but it's not so easy to tell nowadays with all those trolls roaming on the cyberspace waves. :)

Regarding giving up at the Lair of the Leviathan, I personally thought the fourth episode is the only one that could compare to the old games, while episode 5 was a great finale. I know LotL is highly regarded, but I thought it was somewhat boring for the most part (apart from the return of our lovable demonic talking skull, Murray). That said, I think the game became better with each episode, and peaked at episode 4 and the second best episode was 5, mainly because the finale was so good.

All in all, it's not as good as MI1, 2 and CMI, but it's maybe as good as if not better than EMI at least (yes, EMI was good, if you disregard the horrifying story). Nothing can ever top MI2, but ToMI was good enough for me to instant-pre-order a second season. Certainly the best Telltale has made yet (imo), but that might be because I love Monkey Island so much.
  • edited January 2011
    Can you please provide a modern video game example of what the graphics should look like?

Can you please provide a modern video game example of what the puzzles should be like or examples out of the previous games...

Why did the game bore you?

To be honest I think this guy has a talent for making a fuss while disarming people.
  • edited January 2011
    1) maybe he/she isn't familiar with Telltale and what they do/stand for, so the graphics seems outdated when you compare them to other 3D games today?

2) the puzzles weren't all great. There were some really boring/annoying puzzles, especially the map puzzles in episode 1. Just because a puzzle is of a similar nature to the ones in the earlier games, doesn't mean it's equally as good.

3) well, like I said, while I wasn't exactly bored, I wasn't jumping up and down with excitement either in the first three episodes. It didn't take until episode 4, which had very good puzzles for a Telltale game and that was also when the story actually became interesting. The first three dragged out, to be honest (well, the ending of ep. 3 was decent and that certain skull was a nice one too).

4) To be honest, I think you're being way too defensive and cynical. Disarming people? Riiiight... also, it appears you are the only one being overly defensive here, so if he/she was a troll, you are the only one who took the bait.
  • edited January 2011
    This just got interesting.
  • edited January 2011
    Nevermind, carry on.
  • edited January 2011
    Hey guys.

Ok, I realize I shouldn't of made the headline of my post 'TOMI sucks', I should of wrote something like 'mmmmm, not quite into it yet, will I ever be?'

I admit I have never played EFMI, as by the time I got back into MI and started playing COMI again and TSOMI, I was hearing that a new MI was coming out. I had wanted to play EFMI but I was put off by the graphics (again lol.)

Ahhh so that must be Murray in the....actually, better not ruin it for anyone else.

And StarEye no I wasn't offended, and your right, I'm really not familiar with Tell Tale Games. I do want to play the BTTF game also when I have the time.

So yeh, I'm sure Tell Tale will produce some great games, and its awesome that they've done Back To The Future, I promise you won't see a 'BACK TO THE FUTURE SUCKS' thread (not from me anyway:) )

I guess I do feel bad about criticizing TOMI, maybe I was expecting too much, especially fro ma company who's first time it is doing a Monkey Island game?
  • edited January 2011
    Hi Lonnie, welcome to the forums. You'll find a lot of people here are Monkey Island fans from back in the old days and while opinions vary things rarely get out of hand. I'm a huge fan of Curse too, in fact I'd say it's my favroite game of all time. The combination of wit, humor and charm is second to none in my opinion. And I don't think the graphics will ever look too dated because of the cartoon style and art.

One of the major gripes you have against Tales are the sub-par graphics but one thing I will point out is that all Telltale games are designed to be downloadable. They need to keep the files sizes low so that people without top-shelf internet connections can still access their games and one of the things that suffers as a result is that we're not going to get next-gen level graphics. So while it is true that the graphics can't compare to most modern games there is a good reason behind it.

As for your other grips, it's all just personal preference, your opinions are valid and you're not alone. There are a lot of people on these forums who found the same issues with the game as you as well as those who love it unconditionally and all those in between.
  • edited January 2011
    Hi Woodsyblue, thanks.

Its not so much that I expected the graphics to be out of this world, its that I thought well, if they go 3D again at least make the graphics work well into the gameplay, and I thought it just didn't quite get there.

I think they really hit the nail on the head with Curse and I was thinking to myself why fix something thats not broke (i.e why change such a great style) but of course things progress and change. I have to admit I cringed when I saw the TOMI trailer for the first time as I thought it looked alike to EFMI, but obviously graphics were better.

But hey thats just one part of my opinion, its how everything glues together for TOMI.

I will try again and hopefully I'll eat my words when I finish the game :)
  • edited January 2011
    Yeah, Curse was the peak of the SCUMM Engine and it's graphics are timeless. It was 2D gaming looking at its finest, right around the time 3D gaming started rearing its, at the time, very ugly looking head.

A lot of us here knew what to expect from Tales graphics because we'd played Sam & Max or other Telltale games before that use the Telltale Tool. (A game engine built in-house by Telltale which they use for all their games.) Something I personally quite like about the Telltale Tool is its emphasis on facial and body language. So many games have characters that are just talking heads with minimal to no expression. In Telltale games the characters are very animated and that really helps immerse the player in the game and story, which is something they wouldn't have been able to do at all with the old 2D graphics. But now I'm just rambling.

If you think Monkey Island looks bad you should see some of Telltales older stuff. I mean wow!
  • edited January 2011
    Wow 589 post I've got some catching up to do!

Haha yeh those old graphics remind me of PS1 days.

Have you played BTTF? Any good?
  • edited January 2011
    Lonnie wrote: »

It's entertaining enough, and has many quality attributes, but it isn't of the same caliber as 'Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse' or 'Tales of Monkey Island' (in my opinion).

While I found it enjoyable, I hope that there is some improvement in the next few episodes, which I'm sure there will be.
  • edited January 2011

Heh, 589 is chump change. Rather Dashing has like that plus 5,000. I haven't even hit quadruple digits yet :o My friend GuruGuru214 has over 4,000 and he started posting after me :confused: It's OK, I'm not bitter... well, not excessively so :cool:

BttF is still in the early days so it's a bit too soon to tell but I enjoyed the first episode. If you're a fan of the movies it is definitely worth a look. Playing the games as they come out is a bit different than playing through them after they have all been released. There's the whole wait and and anticipation for the next episode. Some people can't stand it but others love it. It all depends on the kind of person you are, really :)
  • edited January 2011
    So the entire BTTF game series it out?

Who know, I might end up liking it alot more than TOMI.

On a side note, how do you get an avatar?
  • edited January 2011
    No, only the first episode of BttF is out, the second one should be out in the first half of February.

To add an Avatar click User CP (it is the first choice on the blue bar under the name of the thread you are viewing) and under setting and options is 'edit avatar.' You can also add a sig and all that stuff :)
  • edited January 2011
    Thanks for that.

Oh ok, so you buy the series for $24.95 and you just wait for each next episode to be ready?
  • edited January 2011
    Yeah. Each episode takes a little over a month to make. The first one came out late December, the next one will come out early February and each one should come out in the succeeding month. We usually get the exact date about a week or so before they come out.

A lot of people can't stand the wait and just wait until the season is over before buying but a lot of people enjoy the wait between episodes or can't wait for the season to be over before buying. There should be a BttF demo if you want to give it a go before buying.

Edit: Maybe there isn't a demo yet, I can't seem to find one on the site. Can anyone verify?
  • edited January 2011
    I see, well it will give me time to catch up then.
  • edited January 2011
    Woodsyblue wrote: »
    Edit: Maybe there isn't a demo yet, I can't seem to find one on the site. Can anyone verify?

There isn't a demo, the reason I believe being is that there is a free episode 1 offer (which will be available in February, presumably before episode 2).
  • edited January 2011
    That explains that, cheers :)
  • edited January 2011
    Dear Lonnie,

Posting a post like this, here, now, when only the die-hardiest Monkey Island fans are lurking around, may cause them to take up arms and jump down your throat. Just a warning...

Forever,
    YoungTomPravetz
  • edited January 2011
    It's all sort of been resolved now, Tom. So, I guess the only ones who are going to jump down his throat now are either going to be over-aggressive meatheads or ignorant people :).
  • edited January 2011
    Hayden wrote: »
    It's all sort of been resolved now, Tom. So, I guess the only ones who are going to jump down his throat now are either going to be over-aggressive meatheads or ignorant people :).

It ain't resolved until I get a cookie! Also... "Say 'ello, Rodger" (Oh.. You said meathead... Damn..)
  • edited January 2011
    I admit I was offended by this thread originally but I've tried to get past that. I highly doubt he meant to offend me personally if any one at all.
  • edited January 2011

Bah, post count doesn't matter. (Though I believe I have one of the highest... Top 10, maybe?)(And yes, I am saying this just to raise my post count.)

I wasn't offended in the least, though. People have opinions. I felt kinda bad for Telltale, but I just assumed it was some guy with little knowledge of how we do things around here.
  • edited January 2011
    If you want specifics, the graphics don't really impress for a 2009 game. Really reminds me of the Worms 3D graphics, cheap and basic looking.

I don't really give a hoot about eye candy graphics.

I just find these two statements highly amusing in sequence.
  • edited January 2011
    I just find these two statements highly amusing in sequence.

Hahahaha. I think I've contradicted myself a bit in a few posts but I'm sure you understood what i was getting at lol.
  • edited January 2011
    Yeh I don't want to offend anyone, I would like to meet all you good people and make friends, I wish I could change the headlining to my thread but oh well.

Someone said my love for the old games was clouding my judgment on TOMI which I believe to be true. I feel soooo old for a 26 year old.
  • edited January 2011
    Woodsyblue wrote: »
    Heh, 589 is chump change. Rather Dashing has like that plus 5,000. I haven't even hit quadruple digits yet :o My friend GuruGuru214 has over 4,000 and he started posting after me :confused: It's OK, I'm not bitter... well, not excessively so :cool:

Well, you disappeared for about a year and I just kept on posting...
    TomPravetz wrote: »
    Bah, post count doesn't matter. (Though I believe I have one of the highest... Top 10, maybe?)(And yes, I am saying this just to raise my post count.)

Nope. The top 10 posters all had higher counts than you do now all the way back in May. Considering that I wasn't even on that list and now I have more posts than Dashing had back then, and I'm not the only one who's been posting so much, I'd say you're probably not even top 30.
  • edited January 2011
    Yeh I don't want to offend anyone, I would like to meet all you good people and make friends, I wish I could change the headlining to my thread but oh well.

Someone said my love for the old games was clouding my judgment on TOMI which I believe to be true. I feel soooo old for a 26 year old.
    I know. I knew right away. :)

Which is strangely why I was so offended. I'm just messed in the head, spent too many days and nights thinking about people and why they act the way they do. It was almost obvious to me and for some screwed up reason I just had it when I came to your post.
  • edited January 2011
    I too did not like the graphics that much but not to the point of hating the episodes. It is not the style of graphics I would like to have seen although I do admit this had been the first TellTales game I played. If they made something like the style of Syberia!!!! now that is top class graphics which was done almost 10 years ago and not only that great story and great gameplay! We can only live to hope for another MI.
    Demetris
Sign in to comment in this discussion.