Monkey Island movie

edited February 2011 in Tales of Monkey Island
If there ever was to be a MI movie, would you guys want a live action or CGI movie?

I personally, think a live action film can be done in the right hands, and would prefer it.

What do you guys reckon? And oooooooh, who could play the parts?

Comments

• edited January 2011
    I would say CGI, most definitely.

I just think that a live-action film could go wrong too easily. It would probably be incredibly difficult to find actors that portray the characters accurately, and it would probably result in the film feeling too distant from the games.

Whereas, with an animated film, the makers can make the characters look however they want, they can hire the same voice cast as they had for 'Curse' (which had the best voicework out of all of the games), and they could also create a cool artistic style that they wouldn't be able to achieved with a live action adaptation.
  • edited January 2011
    Yeh I see where your coming from, it would be alot easier to make a CGI film.
  • edited January 2011
    But, I'm curious to know that say, if there was a live action film of MI being made, who could pull off THreepwood etc?
  • edited January 2011
    If heard a few people say Neil Patrick Harris. He wouldn't be perfect, but I can't really think of anyone better.
  • edited January 2011
    Ha, thats actually an excellent choice to be honest, I can see him now with a ponytail and a goatie. Who came up with him?

I would really want a less known actor to play Threepwood, you know, not some big Hollywood star, so I think Neil Patrick Harris would fit the role well, well, by looks alone at least. His voice is probably suited to it as well.

What about Lechuck? How about Brian Blessed lol?
  • edited January 2011
    There was a thread just for Neil Patrick Harris as Guybrush.

And I even found the thread. :)
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16542
  • edited January 2011
    Cool nice one.
  • edited January 2011
    I think it's possible. Hollywood is usually pretty generic in what it does. Right now there's a new pirates movie coming out, if they took the right approach I don't see why they couldn't make a Monkey Island movie.

The only challenge is marketability, they have to make a movie that reintroduces you to all of the characters for a newer, larger, audience. They have to in effect start at the beginning and advertise the movie in a way that's not too campy and cartoon so that other people will be interested and want to go see it.

Monkey Island is a large franchise and it has many fans, but it's a ooold franchise. Thank God for Tales. I think from a hollywood stand point they would want to bring in a new audience, younger audience so in effect not only would the movie have to become a hybrid that's serious but you'd also have to balance camp and cartoon tastefully, whilst not disappointing older fans.

LOL, contradiction, intentional.
  • edited January 2011
    I hear what your saying, but who cares about the masses? I think the movie should be made with just the fans in mind.

I think tho if done rightly Hollywood would make big bucks out of it and but thats all it'll ever be about with those hollow morons.

Still, (and I'm contradicting myself a bit here as well,) it would be cool for people who know nothing (if not much) about MI to see a MI movie and become a fan.

But in all reality, I cant see Hollywood being loyal to the franchise at all.

Even a fan-made movie with a decent budget would more than likely be better than say a 200 million budget Hollywood version, as think of all the love and attention to detail it would have.
  • edited January 2011
    Lonnie wrote: »
    I hear what your saying, but who cares about the masses? I think the movie should be made with just the fans in mind.

I think tho if done rightly Hollywood would make big bucks out of it and but thats all it'll ever be about with those hollow morons.

Still, (and I'm contradicting myself a bit here as well,) it would be cool for people who know nothing (if not much) about MI to see a MI movie and become a fan.

But in all reality, I cant see Hollywood being loyal to the franchise at all.

Even a fan-made movie with a decent budget would more than likely be better than say a 200 million budget Hollywood version, as think of all the love and attention to detail it would have.

I'm all for a fan version. You might even fly the idea by these forums. There are a lot of active fans here who do lots of fan works. The guys who do the I Wonder What happens films might be interested in doing a few fan films.

But, to be honest in this case I rather see it live action, just how I feel about it, because I've seen lots of animated fan works, which are great but Im in the mood for something different.

Silver wolf pet is some sort of comedic actor if I remember right, he might be able to take on the role of Guybrush. The effects, etc etc, could be done by some one like majus, if he had time, I'd imagine.

There is a monkey island one play that came out a few years ago, you can probably find it on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R91iBFsdrvI
  • edited January 2011
    I too would prefer a live action version.

I'll check the play out some time.
  • edited January 2011
    2D animation would work the best, no doubt, it'd be just like Peter Pan!
  • edited January 2011
    I think animated would suit Monkey Island's style best.

I actually some time ago created a thread about transferring some MI concepts into a Monkey Island movie:
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20338

And the ideas in that thread were met pretty positively (though some of them still need fleshing out), but still I will say something - for all the 'it wouldn't resemble Monkey Island a bit!' complainers that could appear - to make a good adaptation which would suit EVERYONE, changes MUST be done because ALL entertainment mediums are different, and trying to fully replicate something from one medium in another is actually the biggest mistake one can make. The amount of changes depends on the work itself, and the only game in the series with a story/screenplay which can be transferred to a movie medium with little changes is actually ToMI. Replications of SoMI, MI2, CoMI and EMI just won't work. And the fact that the MI play is a very entertaining homage to the first Monkey Island game (I personally enjoyed it very much) doesn't make it a good theatrical adaptation of the MI game in a universal sense - great for fans, not so for the general audience. I think I've said more words than I should have had to explain my point, but I think I make my point pretty clear.
  • edited January 2011
    CGI for me. Make it a live action film and it might look too much of a POTC ripoff.
  • edited January 2011
    Jerry Bruckheimer presents Tales of Monkey Island™ Starring Nicholas Cage as Guybrush Threepwood, Megan Fox as Elaine, Mickey Rourke as Lechuck. Guest appearence by Johnny Depp as Murray.

No just no....
  • edited January 2011
    Mermaid wrote: »
    CGI for me. Make it a live action film and it might look too much of a POTC ripoff.

Which was itself a Monkey Island ripoff :x
    I think it'd be best in CGI, with the original voice actors.
  • edited January 2011
    Which was itself a Monkey Island ripoff :x

Monkey Island is a game which is based on On Stranger Tides and takes inspiration from Pirates of the Caribbean ride.

Pirates of the Caribbean is a movie based on Pirates of the Caribbean ride which also takes inspiration from On Stranger Tides.

The only other thing is that the writers of PotC are the same that one day pitched the MI movie, but still... You shouldn't call it a rip-off.
  • edited February 2011
    Hey there,

I gathered some info and wrote THIS on the Tales of MI blog. People did have a go at Pirates fan-made movies... just check it out and discuss!

I linked this thread in the blog post, to spread the word :)

Dodoo, thank you for the kind words. I do believe, however, that this project is far beyond our capabilities. Financially speaking.

Besides, I think Majus looks more like Guybrush than I do. However, I think I'd make a pretty decent Stan, if I lose a few pounds. :p
  • edited February 2011
    Besides, I think Majus looks more like Guybrush than I do.
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha (…) no!
  • edited February 2011
    I think that Tim Curry would be a great LeChuck.
  • edited February 2011
    Quite frankly, I think that voice is the most important part for a potential LeChuck. Because, with special/digital effects, film-makers are able to do almost anything that they want visually. I mean, look how Bill Nighy was transformed into Davy Jones in 'Pirates of the Caribbean'.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.