so just finished "Devil's Playhouse" a couple of questions... (spoilers)

edited February 2011 in Sam & Max
Okay first off I LOVED it! Telltale has done a great job of outdoing themselves every season.

But some of the stuff near the end confused me. Strangely enough this isn't the whole alternate Max thing, it more has to do with the other characters.

First off, what happened to Grandpa Stinky? Did they ever restore his brain (I know they saved Flint from killing him but does he go back to normal?)

Second, who calls Stinky's cellphone at the end? Initially I thought it was Max using his psychic abilities (as kind of hinted by when you see something twinkle in the sky and Sam says "Max?"). I figured he actually survived by teleporting to Skunkape's ship until the alternate version showed up at the end. And another thing that confused me was did Skunkape's ship explode and if so did Girl Stinky and him both die?

I loved the game but the ending left so many loose ends! Hopefully these'll be explained when the inevitable season 4 comes out in a year or so. :)

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Okay first off I LOVED it! Telltale has done a great job of outdoing themselves every season.

But some of the stuff near the end confused me. Strangely enough this isn't the whole alternate Max thing, it more has to do with the other characters.

First off, what happened to Grandpa Stinky? Did they ever restore his brain (I know they saved Flint from killing him but does he go back to normal?)

Second, who calls Stinky's cellphone at the end? Initially I thought it was Max using his psychic abilities (as kind of hinted by when you see something twinkle in the sky and Sam says "Max?"). I figured he actually survived by teleporting to Skunkape's ship until the alternate version showed up at the end. And another thing that confused me was did Skunkape's ship explode and if so did Girl Stinky and him both die?

I loved the game but the ending left so many loose ends! Hopefully these'll be explained when the inevitable season 4 comes out in a year or so. :)
    Spoilers below!

Fate of Grampa Stinky is that he IS the gorilla with a captain hat you can see in the final scene in the cloning chamber. His body was in Skunkape's ship during the explosion, but his brain is still secured in a clone body of Skunkape's minion. Actually, in that scene, you can speak to him, and totally drown in disappointment because he lost his accent, sadly.

Who calls Stinky at the end is simply Max. Teleportation rings the phone that Max is currently teleporting to its place. Max, before blowing up and destroying the city, used his teleportation ability to blow up Girl Stinky who happened to be far away from the earth in Skunkape's ship. So therefore, Max died, by blowing up Skunkape's ship and killing Girl Stinky, Skunkape and Sammun-Mak (also destroying the body of Grandpa Stinky) So yeah, Max didn't survive the explosion since he was the SOURCE of the explosion. So... Yeah, Max showing up in the ending is not the same Max. In fact, he doesn't know any of these stuff happened in this season.

I don't know if you played the previous seasons or not but I'm explaining it away anyway. Alternate Max it's clearly an alternate-timeline duplicate of Max, created by a timeline distortion Sam and Max caused in the fourth episode of second season, using a time traveling spaceship elevator. Initially, a duplicate of Sam was also present but new Max says he had to blow him up because ironically the alternate Sam also turned into a big monster for some reason or another.

And gotta say there wasn't really much loose ends. They didn't really do much foreshadowing, but they really never did or when they did it just turned out to be irrelevant.
  • edited January 2011
    Yeah I've played the others so I understood the whole alternate Max thing (I totally didn't see it coming).

I neglected to talk to Grandpa Stinky in the ending part so I didn't realize he was still in the close body.

Thank you for clearing that up! It was a great ending I guess I'm just kind of surprised they killed off so many major characters. :eek:
  • edited February 2011
    I just finished the season. So awesome!

But too bad they didn't make any gibbon jokes at the end.
  • edited February 2011
    My only problem is they killed Sal :(

He was a awesome character!
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2011
    I'm just kind of surprised they killed off so many major characters. :eek:

For better or worse, the Telltale Sam & Max games now have 1) time travel, 2) an afterlife you can visit on the subway, and rescue people from, and 3) (as a result of time travel) alternate dimensions. Fortunately Sam & Max seems to follow the Roger Rabbit rule, though, of something only being possible when it's funny.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.